Start by marking “Laird of the Wind” as Want to Read:
Laird of the Wind

Laird of the Wind (Celtic Nights #4)

In medieval Scotland, the warrior known as Border Hawk seizes the castle belonging to the father of the beautiful Isabel Scott, famous throughout the Lowlands for her gift of prophecy. During the battle, Isabel is injured while fighting alongside her men, and placed under Border Hawk's protection. As the border wars rage on, the warrior and prophetess engage in a more inti ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Published August 1st 1998 by Topaz

To ask other readers questions about Laird of the Wind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Laird of the Wind

Kari
Dec 26, 2013 Kari rated it liked it
I think I'm actually being generous with 3 stars. The book moves real slow but my biggest complaint is the amount of information we get on hawks. Falconry, hawks, what they eat, how they sleep, sizes, colors, shapes, everything you can imagine about hawks in medieval times. It was a manual for hawk owners, paragraphs and paragraphs of useless info on hawks. There is a metaphor about the hero being like a hawk (hence he is the Laird of the Wind) so the hawk references were supposed to be relevant ...more
Regan Walker
Feb 27, 2012 Regan Walker rated it really liked it
Worthy Hawk-Themed Medieval Romance

This was my first by Susan King and I really enjoyed it. She paints rich visual images of the times and the places and the characters are well described and memorable.

Set in Scotland in the early 14th century, this is the story of Isobel of Aberlady who has a gift of visions that describe events to come. Her father and the family priest guard her gift and take notes when she has the visions as she remembers nothing afterwards. Believing he will protect her, he
Val
Okay, so I ran a marathon of Susan King novels in my trip to Europe. Sorta. And I've discovered a few things.

First, that my most 'critical' reviews are often of books I end up rating 5 stars. I guess that's probably because I find more stuff to critizice when I'm actually paying attention to/caring about the book.

Secondly, that Susan King has a strict formula to make these books. So far I've only read The Sword Maiden, Black Thorne's Rose, and Laird of the Wind and I had to admit, they are all
Kit★
Aug 21, 2012 Kit★ rated it liked it
3.5 Stars! Book of the month in Western and Medieval Romance Lovers group for January, my nomination won! It'd been years since I read anything by Susan King, though I have read a couple by her in the past and remember really enjoying them. Never read this one though, so wasn't real sure what to expect.
Right away though, I was drawn into the medieval setting. This book is no 'wallpaper' historical. To me, the author put a great amount of work into the research. I felt like I was there, the char
Pamela Watkins
Mar 21, 2017 Pamela Watkins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book being a Scottish Historical Novel and with William Wallace in the mix I always very interesting to me. I thought this was very well thought

Out and the story line of the Prophetess was intriguing. I love Susan King's work.
And the lady always gets her warrior!
Faith Freewoman
Jun 13, 2015 Faith Freewoman rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This takes place just after William Wallace, a 1300's leader in the Wars of Scottish Independence, was captured and killed, as gruesomely depicted in Braveheart.

This is about one of Wallace's friends and fellow freedom fighters.

Every scene in this book is lyrical, lush, sensual and compelling. Every scene, not just the g-rated sex scenes, but every moment - from the fierce and bloody battles to the hawk training to the heroine's prophetic trances - every moment is so vivid it's almost like painf
Julie
May 31, 2012 Julie rated it really liked it
It's a historical romance set right after William Wallace is killed. James is one of the men who ran with William and feels responsible for his William's death. He's an outlaw and decides to take matters into his own hands by abducting Black Isobel, a Scottish prophetess, and offering her in exchange for some of the things/people that have been taken from him. Of course things don't go as he planned.

Gorgeous scenery, great hero/heroine, and wonderful history woven in between. (For my clean read
Patricia Kate
Jan 04, 2014 Patricia Kate rated it it was ok
This book consisted of Scottish history, falconry, and adventure with a little bit of romance (and even a paranormal element, as well). I would have preferred the romance to be a bigger part of the story. Overall the story line wasn't that compelling and I could have easily not finished it.

This is the first book I've read from this author and not sure I want to read any others, based upon this experience.
Lady Claire, Marchioness of Fancy Pants
Poo! I only got half way through this one. The beginning was okay, but there was waaaay too much talk about William Wallace and how the character felt like he was responsible for his death. There was so much talk about it that it honestly felt like the author copied and pasted words and thoughts from earlier in the book into later in the book. And both characters got way to sappy for me. I like it when they hate each other and fight all the time. Long story, short. This book was boring!
Noelle
Dec 31, 2010 Noelle rated it did not like it
Shelves: giggle, romance, europe
The hawk/trapped wild woman metaphor got old fast. It was also pretty annoying having the characters explain aloud what had already been established multiple times before. It's as if the author thought I might have forgotten why Jamie hates the Baron, etc. Honestly, there's not much else going on in the book (other than a manual on how to train a hawk), does Susan King really think we can't keep up?
Anne
Mar 23, 2011 Anne added it
Recommends it for: Historical romance lovers
Set in 14th century Scotland, Isobel has the gift of visions which is zealously guarded by her father and the family priest. Her father betroths her to Ralph Leslie, a knight who she has misgivings about. When she meets Jamie Lindsay, a laird who has turned outlaw, the sparks fly. There is a lot of adventure, actual hawks in the story, no graphic sex and a good read. Recommended.
Rishi Diams
Apr 23, 2009 Rishi Diams rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
Well, as a treatise on hawking, it's exceptional, an excellent resource. As a love story ... well, I liked the characters and I liked their interactions but the relationship was buried beneath the incredibly detailed story of the hero training a goshawk.
Alison
Apr 03, 2012 Alison rated it really liked it
Nicely written fluff....really got into the hawk info.
Kristina
Jul 29, 2012 Kristina rated it it was ok
This book is 10% romance, 10% adventure and 80% drawn out metaphors/training of a hawk. Too much filler.
Nancy
May 10, 2012 Nancy rated it really liked it
From the look of the book cover, you would think this is a hot & heavy romance novel...not so! It is Scottish historical fiction from the time of William Wallace & Robert the Bruce.
Becky
Dec 08, 2010 Becky rated it it was ok
This book was kind of boring. I thought that the author was overly discriptive. It seemed to take forever to finish.
Gail L. Zanzig
Mar 13, 2016 Gail L. Zanzig rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing

This book and the whole series is a great read. The characters are well done and complex as is the story. Hopefully if you read this series, you will begin with book one.
Pamela Aares
Nov 16, 2012 Pamela Aares rated it it was amazing
Found this gem by accident and loved it. Lush, engaging, wonderful hero and heroine. Could feel the Scottish lowlands from her marvelous descriptions.
Kristen
Jan 24, 2013 Kristen rated it liked it
A weird cross between Robin Hood and Braveheart. And the excessive hawking references were tiresome...just okay.
Merche Pérez
Merche Pérez rated it it was amazing
Dec 24, 2014
Lisa V.
Lisa V. rated it it was ok
Jun 18, 2014
Nola 1818
Nola 1818 rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2014
Elena Buitrago
Elena Buitrago rated it liked it
Aug 16, 2014
Peggy
Peggy rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2015
shannon Whelan
shannon Whelan rated it liked it
Jan 26, 2015
Dottiebears
Dottiebears rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2013
Erica
Erica rated it liked it
Feb 11, 2012
Ingrid
Ingrid rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2013
Patchworkpenguin
Patchworkpenguin rated it liked it
Mar 30, 2015
  • The MacLean Groom (Highland Lairds Trilogy, #1)
  • Legacy
  • My Beloved
  • The Heiress (Bride Quest, #3)
  • Once a Knight (Knight, #1)
  • The Scottish Selkie (Long Swords, Hot Heroes & Warrior Women)
  • A Noble Deception
  • Warrior's Lady (Stones of Destiny, #3)
  • Highland Legacy (The Fraser Brothers Trilogy #1)
  • The Wild Rose of Kilgannon (Kilgannon, #2)
  • Nephilim Genesis of Evil
  • Mortal Fire (The Secret of the Journal #1)
  • Lachlan's Revenge (Highland Renegades, #4)
  • Once a Warrior (Warriors, #1)
  • Danger's Kiss
  • Fate's Monolith (MacLomain, #1)
  • The Devil of Kilmartin (Kilmartin Glen, #1)
  • A Knight's Reward (Knight's, #2)
SUSAN FRASER KING is a multi-published, bestselling, award-winning author and a former art history lecturer. She holds a B.A. in art and an M.A. and most of a Ph.D. in art history, with postgraduate work in medieval studies. Her books are widely praised for historical detail and a lyrical writing style, and she has won multiple honors and awards for her novels written as Susan King and Sarah Gabri ...more
More about Susan King...

Celtic Nights (4 books)
  • The Stone Maiden (Celtic Nights, #1)
  • The Swan Maiden (Celtic Nights, #2)
  • The Sword Maiden (Celtic Nights, #3)