Start by marking “The Seventh Witch” as Want to Read:
The Seventh Witch

The Seventh Witch (Ophelia & Abby Mystery #7)

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  1,408 Ratings  ·  73 Reviews
“A Golden Broomstick to [these] most unusual sleuths, a septuagenarian witch and her psychic granddaughter.”
—Carolyn Hart

The Seventh Witch is the seventh installment in Shirley Damsgaard’s Agatha Award-nominated Ophelia and Abby series featuring a small-town librarian with paranormal abilities and her endearingly unapologetic witch grandmother. Combining the best aspects
Published January 26th 2010 by HarperCollins e-books (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Seventh Witch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Seventh Witch

Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*

Here it is, the seventh and the last. I have been semi-hooked on the series from book one, delighted to indulge in another paranormal mystery.

Ophelia has come a long way since book one. She's come to embrace who she is, accept her powers, learn how to use them more, dug into her heritage, embraced her family, found a new daughter and romantic interest, and feels more at peace in her life.

In this book, the author brings the main characters out of the small, familiar town into the mountains to r
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
I write this review with a sense of sadness. Why? Because this novel is the final episode in a mystery series that I have grown to love. I have become friends with Addy and Ophelia and Tink. We have grown with Ophelia as she learned to accept her psychic gifts rather than run from them. During that journey, we the readers were ran through woods, arsons, murders, kidnappings, and more.

We met some spectacular persons along the trip. This series gave a positive look at Witches and others. A good l
Angie Lisle
Apr 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shirley Damsgaard has carved a new niche in the market: Appalachian Paranormal Fiction! Being a West Virginia gal, I love how Appalachia figures into the books without all the negative stereotyping that usually goes along with it!

I always have problems getting started with Shirley Damsgaard's books. But once I make it past the first couple of chapters, I fall in love with the characters again (and again). I am sucked in by the storyline and I have a very hard time putting the book down.

I love
Dharia Scarab
An interesting final mystery and a nice wrap up to the series. It was fun to see Abby and Ophelia with their extended family and uncover the secrets of the past.

2 stars... This book was not very good, and I won't be reading any more from th
Shara
Jan 28, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Natalie
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the last book for this series. I am sorry there will be no more books on these characters, I will miss their adventures.
Becca Tullman
It's a cozy mystery. It is exactly what you expect from that genre.
Penny
Jan 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: paranormal lovers
Shelves: books-i-own
First off i would like to say thanks to my two friends who presented this book to me for my Christmas present. I chose it to start off my year , to start my adventures created through the books i read for the year 2013.

Even though i haven't read the first 6 books of the series and i had to piece together the info i received in this book to get a good image of the others before it, I really enjoyed it.

It was a plot shrouded in mystery about a woman named Ophelia(psychic from a gifted family of s
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
3.5
Why weren't the previous books this fun? This series has always been somewhere between 'it was an ok read' and 'I liked this'. I am not tempted to go and rate the previous six books higher because some of them were just ok and some I liked. This one is the best of all. It is the last book in the series and I am kind of sorry it ends. It just became interesting.
Now when I think about it, this was Ophelia's journey to accept her gifts and to make peace with some of the people in her life.

So, w
Jacki
Jan 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ophelia Jensen, her parent, grandmother Abby and adopted daughter Tink are off to the mountains of the Appalachia region to celebrate Great-aunt Mary's 100th birthday. Being that we are discussing Ophelia here, it doesn't take her long to stumble onto a dead body, and this time Ophelia finds herself up against an evil witch.

The Seventh Witch is the latest in the Ophelia and Abby tells and one of my favorites. Not only do we get to spend more time with Aunt Dot, but we finally meet the frigthenin
Suspense Magazine
In the seventh installment to the Ophelia and Abby series, Damsgaard pens a fun loving adventure full of eccentric characters in “The Seventh Witch”. This volume takes readers to the small backwoods family town in North Carolina where Abby grew up for a monumental occasion. Warmly enveloped by their enormously extended family—well, most of them—upon arrival, Ophelia is shocked to find that this reunion may actually have dangerous consequences for several members of her family. In her unwavering ...more
BookNerdette
Nov 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite
WillowBe
So, this got a 4 star rating. Likely for fans of this author and series. I waited to read one of these because they were just too predictable. This one was a bit more edgy, but puleeze. I heroine with this little insight, insighht into the motives and behavior of others? The injection of kindly Cherokee spirits- a I don't think they'd be so kindly, what with the Trail of Tears and all... It was all so facile, and obvious that Ms. Damsgaard doesn't really know much about the South, just threw a f ...more
4fabfelines Cox
Oct 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Abby and Ophelia are going to the mountains of north Carolina to see and be with Great aunt Mary's 100th birthday.
Ophelia senses there is alot of saddness and mystery around Abby while she is at the old Homestead. A old fued between family witches has cropped up and Ophelia crosses Sharon one of the mountain witches. Sharon practices black arts and everyone on the mountain is afraid of her powers and crossing her.
Ophelia thinks she is a fake and sets out to prove it.
Several yards from the homest
Kimberly Ann
Abbey & Ophelia go back home for Great Aunt Mary's 100th birthday celebration where they have to reckon with the family's past and a curse that should have been laid to rest a generation before.

Abbey begins to succumb to bad magic as well power of mind...Ophelia has to fight Abbey's will to lay down & die, Great Aunt Mary's jealousy. and the local "bad" witch who thrives on bad magic & threats.

Add to this Ophelia's mother & father are present as is Tinks (Ophelia's adopted daught
Linda
Nov 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ophelia and her female relatives are witches who each have a different talent. They use their psychic and healing talents for good. In this book grandmother Abby, Ophelia, her daughter Tink, and her non witch parents travel to the Smoky Mountains to celebrate Great Aunt Mary's 100th birthday. Nearby Aunt Mary and Aunt Dot's homestead, which has been in the family for generations, is the Doran family. Sharon Doran claims to be a witch and the mountain folk avoid her. A run-in with Sharon means th ...more
Yeva
Aug 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great Aunt Mary's birthday was not so great to start with; but, hey, she was only 100. I guess witches live longer, if not always better. This last book of the series was great fun, and now I have, have, have to read the two I've missed. Ophelia and Tink were a great mother/daughter duo in this this, and Ophelia's mother was also along for the ride. Actually, every relative Ophelia had was in this story, but that made the story even better. I hope there's another book in this series, because the ...more
Vickie
Jan 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is such a well-done series and THE SEVENTH WITCH is my favorite so far. Abby and Ophelia go back home to North Carolina to celebrate an aunt's 100th birthday. All is not what it seems. Death, greed, dark magick abound.
Exceptionally fast moving page-turner. If I could have had the time, it would have been read in one sitting.
I love the relationship that Abby and Ophelia have, loving, firm, friendly, nurturing. Abby is able to gently lead Ophelia in strengthening her gifts as well as accept
Melodie
Jan 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2010
For the most part I have found this series to be mostly so-so. Now, with what is reported to be the last in the series, Ms. Damsgaard delivers a truly 5 star read! I have always liked Abby, but have been on the fence about Ophelia through the whole series. In this book she finally comes into her own. This is a very strong story and I find I'm always drawn to a story that deals with "mountain witches" as they figure in my own family background. The story revolves around the strong women in Opheli ...more
Rosey
Feb 14, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I read that this was the last in the series my heart sank. I don't like when a series goes on and on...I think they need to end and some point and wrap it up nicely (hear me Janet Evanovich!!). I was hoping for maybe 2-3 more books:(. This was a great wrap up to see where Abby was raised and meet all the other members of the family. Ophelia kicked some major ass! So happy a certain someone showed up again too and Ophelia made some sort of leap. Wish it went a little further.

Teresa Crumpton
Feb 07, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book seven started out slow and I had to put it down a couple of times but I finally finished it and I must say I loved the ending. We see some old friends and meet the family. By chapter three we know who the villian is but not all the details and its interesting how the story plays out. More dark family secrets are exposed, new lessons learned this time its not just Ophelia learning them. It was a really good read once I got into it.
Melissa
Apr 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-fiction
Ophelia and the rest of the crew head off to visit her Great-Aunt Mary 100 birthday party. Abby's past is haunting her and it could kill her. Of course Ophelia finds a dead body and this one seems to have been caused by a black witch. Ophelia sents out to keep the mountain and Abby safe from this rouge witch.

This one has to be my favorite one thus far. All the characters are growing and going in uncomfertable places with their lives. Great book, well written and highly recommend.
Kelly
Mar 13, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love this series!!

I love the attitudes of all the characters (I swear I know them!) and how they all come together to make a great story. This book is awesome from beginning to end. Who said being a librarian was boring? HAH!!

The only thing I don't like about this book is that it is pretty short and before I knew it I was done...aww, man.
Patrícia Schmidt Rodrigues
Sandiboo
this is the last book in the series and i liked that the ends seem to be all tied up. it wasnt the best series but it was an easy quick read with an interesting enough story line, all the books had similar plots.. find a body/have an issue grow a little as a person then resolve the case/mystery.. but i liked it overall
Daffodil
Apr 21, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm really sad that this will be the last Ophelia & Abby book for a while.

Ophelia's family is colorful and eccentric and utterly perfect. Great Aunt Mary's glares almost burned a hole in the page. LOL. Ophelia's growth from the last book was obvious in this one and I loved the fact that she stood up for herself and the strength of her powers.
Estella
Oct 13, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
I really enjoyed reading all the previous books in the "Ophelia and Abby" series, but this one, although well-written, was a little too "paranormal" for me. Word has it that "The Seven Witches" marks the end of the series. I look forward to what Ms. Damsgaard comes up with next, as I like her writing style. I just hope witches won't figure into the equation.
Julie
Nov 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the best of the series. Ophelia finally embraced herself and her gift, grew a spine, took initiative and earned her place in her family. She even got a happily ever after implied. Wish there had been an epilogue letting us know that the implied actually came to be, but I'll just be content in building my own.
Cindi (cheesygiraffe)
Dec 18, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-read
Ophelia, Abby, Tink, Great Aunt Mary, Aunt Dot, Lydia and Elsie are the 7 witches of the family. And it's up to them to stop the Doran family from taking what theirs away from them. 50 years is a long time to right a wrong but Ophelia will take it on.
I love this series. I sure hope Mrs. Damsgaard writes more.
Terah
Jun 22, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, paranormal
Another good one. Wasn't so much a "who dun it". It was more along the lines of how was it done and how can we stop them from doing more. The whole book kept me guessing. Love Ophelia's family. Her aunts are so multifaceted. Can't wait to see what's ahead for Ophelia and Ethen.
  • No Rest for the Wiccan (A Bewitching Mystery, #4)
  • Devil May Ride (A Ghost Dusters Mystery, #2)
  • Death by Diamonds (A Vintage Magic Mystery, #3)
  • A Cast-Off Coven (A Witchcraft Mystery, #2)
  • Corpse in the Crystal Ball (Fortune Teller Mystery, #2)
  • Tombs of Endearment (Pepper Martin, #3)
  • Ghouls Gone Wild (Ghost Hunter Mystery, #4)
  • A Witch Before Dying (A Wishcraft Mystery, #2)
  • Charmed & Deadly (Bronwyn the Witch, #3)
  • Laced with Magic (Sugar Maple, #2)
I’ve read many bios that start with the words “I wanted to be a writer all of my life and wrote my first story at the age of five.” I honestly can’t say that’s true for me—at the age of five, as an only child growing up on a farm, my career goal was to be a princess. Unfortunately, all those positions happened to be filled, so I followed the path so many other women have traveled—marriage, childre ...more
More about Shirley Damsgaard...

Ophelia & Abby Mystery (7 books)
  • Witch Way to Murder (Ophelia & Abby, #1)
  • Charmed to Death (Ophelia & Abby,  #2)
  • The Trouble With Witches (Ophelia & Abby, #3)
  • Witch Hunt (Ophelia & Abby, #4)
  • The Witch Is Dead (Ophelia & Abby, #5)
  • The Witch's Grave (Ophelia & Abby, #6)
“He never was worth the powder it'd take to blow him to hell.” 14 likes