Start by marking “The Mystery of the Dancing Devil (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #25)” as Want to Read:

The Mystery of the Dancing Devil (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators #25)

3.71  ·  Rating details ·  878 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Three young detectives search for a stolen statue only to find that it has mysteriously come to life.
Paperback
Published September 1st 1981 by Random House Childrens Books (first published 1976)

To ask other readers questions about The Mystery of the Dancing Devil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mystery of the Dancing Devil

Lea
Der Fall, um einen tanzen mongolischen Teufel und eine gestohlene Figur, die die chinesische Regierung von einem Kunstsammler zurückfordert, ist leider etwas zäh und stellenweise langweilig. Die Auflösung hingegen gefällt mir sehr.
Quentin Wallace
Nov 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was one of the better Three Investigator mysteries. It touched a little on current events of the time, as the mystery involves a stolen statue that belongs to the Chinese government. This was written around the time things started to become a little friendlier with the US and the Chinese, and this was touched on in the book.

The mystery itself was a little different too, as the motivation for what happened wasn't the usual. I saw it coming, but at least it was something different.

O
Mark
Apr 15, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
original 2010 review - One of my all-time favourites, this has one of the best opening sequences in the series (excepting, perhaps, “Green Ghost”), as the boys discover a series of thefts on Pete’s block. After a nicely done stake-out - very atmospheric, with the fog that enshrouds everything - they’re on the trail of the dancing devil, a fabulous statue that seems to be guarded by a spirit! A cracking (and not a little frightening) central image, some very nicely done set pieces and a good pace ...more
Niki
Jan 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Yet another favourite of mine in this series, which also has to do with a small statue... do I see a pattern here?
Jeff Stephenson
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
AH&T3I Update: 25 read, 3 more hardbacks to go (not to mention 15 additional paperbacks...):

This title, the Mystery of the Dancing Devil, is the shortest (141 pages) of the T3I books that I have read to date, but that is not what made this tale a good story. It WAS a good story, and my only complaint as I journeyed along with the three boys was the boys own fears. More than once, I found myself imploring the Three Investigators to charge the Dancing Devil and just tackle him. Would that not
JBooks
Jul 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Toll -.- vorhin auf den blöden Knopf gekommen und von "read" zu "Want to read" gemacht und natürlich ist alles weg....

Bestimmt stimmt das Finish date nicht ^^'
Elizabeth S
Apr 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: c-juvenile, z-2011
I like it when the later mysteries in this series use some of the more clever devices of the original author. This one has the boys calling each other "First", "Second", and "Records" and they use the question mark chalk marks. Not much happens at headquarters in this one, though.
fRee
Jun 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ada corn, ada maize...
dan ada setan menandak...

KBBI:

Shelves: mystery
My Rating System:
Ritesh Reddy
Apr 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
good detective story. story could not be imagined. so interesting and also scientific
Yavanna
I read a lot of the three investigators in my early teens, when I was between 11 and 14. I think I read the whole shelf of the library, where those books were kept :) but I remember only a few ...
Putra
Nov 30, 2010 rated it liked it
nice story line
it sounds really classical but it still keep the horror sense
Doc-mok
Apr 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Good mystery; fairly complicated for my third grader, who needed help with summarizing all of the details for his book report.
Emelia Phillips
Feb 14, 2013 rated it did not like it
well it wont let me tread it so boring
Lauchlin
Dec 06, 2013 marked it as to-read
Ben Prior
Feb 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Excellent for the young reader. Fast-paced and suspenseful to keep the reader's attention.
Frederick Tan
Dec 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Good read.
Irwan
Aug 18, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: finished, young-adult
Exciting. It scared me then hehehe...
Ms. J Johnson
Dennis G
Nov 11, 2010
Lusu
Nov 14, 2012
  • The Mystery of Monster Mountain (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #20)
  • The Mystery of the Coughing Dragon (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators #14)
  • The Mystery of the Silver Spider (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #8)
  • The Mystery of the Kidnapped Whale (The Three Investigators, #35)
Real name: Dennis Lynds.
Beginning in 1968 with The Mystery of the Moaning Cave and ending in 1989 with Hot Wheels, Dennis Lynds wrote fourteen novels under the pen name William Arden for the juvenile detective series The Three Investigators, which was originated by Robert Arthur, Jr.. Under this same name, he also wrote five novels featuring private eye Kane Jackson, a former military policeman wh
More about William Arden...

Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators (1 - 10 of 43 books)
  • The Secret of Terror Castle (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #1)
  • The Mystery of the Stuttering Parrot (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #2)
  • The Mystery of the Whispering Mummy (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #3)
  • The Mystery of the Green Ghost (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #4)
  • The Mystery of the Vanishing Treasure (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #5)
  • The Secret of Skeleton Island (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #6)
  • The Mystery of the Fiery Eye (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #7)
  • The Mystery of the Screaming Clock (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #9)
  • The Mystery of the Moaning Cave (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #10)