Start by marking “Elementary, My Dear Groucho” as Want to Read:
Elementary, My Dear Groucho

Elementary, My Dear Groucho (Groucho Marx #3)

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  65 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
When a body is found in Holmes's 221B Baker Street lodgings on the set at Mammoth Studios during the shooting of The Valley of Fear, Groucho and his sidekick Frank Denby begin investigating.

The victim is the German emigre director of the movie who was found in the great detective's favorite armchair, stabbed in the chest with Holmes's pearl-handled letter opener. There is
Published November 23rd 1999 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about Elementary, My Dear Groucho, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elementary, My Dear Groucho

Tina Jens
Jan 31, 2013 rated it did not like it
I really wanted to like this book. I adore the Marx Brothers and humorous mysteries. The Groucho dialogue bits were quite grand, but that just wasn't enough to raise the whole book up. The plot was lacking something, and it just didn't have the zaniness that one would expect from a work that includes the Marx Brothers. It is, I believe, the third in a series (and the only one currently available on Kindle). If I ever stumble across the first one, I might sample it to see if it was more inspired; ...more
Philip
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
Several of these slim volumes fell into my hands recently and I am thrilled to have them as part of my life and reading. I'm a Groucho fan and was a bit dubious about the author's being able to sustain a credible, wise-cracking Marx -- but he is a dab hand with the surreal, comedic take. And a good mystery as well! I'm planning to read them all, since they breeze off the page so easily. Delightful, charming, funny, and with moments of pathos, even!
Rich Meyer
Jun 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2016
Another excellent entry in Ron Goulart's Groucho series, this one has Groucho and his sidekick trying to discover the killer of a semi-disgraced German director, and battling some homegrown Nazis at the same time.

This one is another pleasure to read...great characterization, a well-researched backdrop, and an intriguing mystery to solve. You can't go wrong with this one!
Keith Davis
Nov 26, 2009 rated it liked it
An entertaining mystery novel featuring Groucho Marx as an amateur detective. Ron Goulart is a witty writer, but I find myself a tad put off by the conversion of the recently deceased into fictional characters.
Barbara
Apr 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Jeepers Creepers as in the 1938 song.
One again, I'm amused by the Hollywood history that's integral part of book.
Also, author continues to take into account the changing world pre-WWII.
This book was not as spunky as first two, but still a fun read.
Rozonda
Oct 11, 2012 rated it liked it
The intrigue is a bit weak and predictable, but Groucho is totally in character and his irritating way of making jokes out of everything makes him endearing in the end, specially when you peek at the weaknesses beneath. Wouldn't mind reading more novels of this series.
Susan
When a director is murdered on his own movie set, the movie's star challenges Groucho to see who will be the first to find the murderer.
Kathryn
Aug 07, 2012 rated it it was ok
I tried. Just couldn't get into this one.
Steve
Apr 05, 2008 rated it did not like it
started out cute but too contrived, even for me. became "same old same old" quite quickly.
Joy Jakubaitis
Jul 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Yet another Groucho saves the day, this time taking on both Hollywood Nazis and Sherlock Holmes.
King_In_Yellow
Mar 07, 2008
Katie
Nov 30, 2008
« previous 1 3 next »
Ron Goulart is a cultural historian and novelist. Besides writing extensively about pulp fiction—including the seminal Cheap Thrills: An Informal History of Pulp Magazines (1972)—Goulart has written for the pulps since 1952, when the Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction published his first story, a sci-fi parody of letters to the editor. Since then he has written dozens of novels and countles ...more
More about Ron Goulart...

Groucho Marx (6 books)