Start by marking “Memory Closet” as Want to Read:
Memory Closet

Read Book

Memory Closet

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  1,551 Ratings  ·  229 Reviews
Something happened to Anne Mitchell when she was 11 years old that erased every childhood memory, left the first decade of her life a hollow, empty void.
Finally, 25 years later, she has come home to re-claim her past.
Oh, she gets it. She understands that something profoundly evil lurks in the swirling purple haze of her amnesia.
For a quarter of a century, she was enslaved
Published September 1st 2010 by Kingstone Media (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Memory Closet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Memory Closet

Ali
Jan 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good book after all. It started off slow but picked up towards the end. It's extremely heart breaking when a child has to experience horror adult situations that etch in their memory for ever. If from that point good experiences don't overlay the bad ones or they don't get professional counseling they will never live a normal, productive healthy life without struggle. Great job Ninie Hammon. I look forward to reading more of your work.
Diana
Jun 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-books

I found this book on Amazon.com lending program.

I thought this was such an interesting story, well written, intriguing and I didn't see the end coming.
This book is about a woman, Annie, who doesn't remember the first 25 years of her life. She goes back to the home she grew up in after her Mother passes away. Her Grandmother is still living in the childhood home.
This book will surprise you and keep you on your toes, Well worth the read!!!

Sharon K. Woolsey
The Memory Closet

What would if you lost complete memories of your childhood? The recovery of memories became a slow frightening journey. Excellent story line, well developed.
Brooklynn Morris
5 stars excellent read

I really liked this book it had me from the start good job a little of funny and drama great read
Sue
Oct 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I don't very often give 5 stars but The Memory Closet is a haunting, unforgettable story. It is not my usual genre as I tend to lean toward fantasy. There are no vampires, werewolves, angels or demons. Well maybe there are demons, but they are of the very human variety. Right from the start, Anne, the incredibly damaged & fragile protagonist, tugs at your heart strings. Suffering from memory loss after a devastating car crash at 11 years old, she has returned to her childhood home to exorcis ...more
Rishika S.
The premise of this story is surely interesting - amnesia triggered by a traumatic event and that plainly protects the protagonist from worse memories. It's a psychological thriller with immense potential. There are also some characters that you can really associate with, feel bad or good for, and find them to be well-rounded.

But the book falls short on too many aspects to really make for a good read as the psychological thriller it's supposed to be.

First is the fact that it really just goes on
Nicole Belanger
May 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had the pleasure of getting to read The Memory Closet by Ninie Hammon. I wanted to start off with saying Ninie is an incredibly talented author. I can only hope to someday be half the writer she is.

The Memory Closet is a book that will keep you wondering what happened and each time you think you know the answer, Ninie throws another thing at you that makes you doubt your conclusion. Even when it got towards the end and I thought FOR SURE I was right, I was wrong again and Ninie threw me throug
Maryline M's Bookshelf
This review was first published at M's Bookshelf - http://mssbookshelf.blogspot.be

Wow. What a thrilling read. The Memory Closet is such a moving, intriguing piece of brilliant writing by Ninie Hammon. It's such an emotionally charged story and it shows how scary and suffocating the mind can be. Anne has no memory of her childhood. The only thing she knows is that it is haunting her. And the only possible way out, is remembering. The little snippets of memories and clues given by family and old f
Celina Worman
May 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A parallel to my childhood

Like Annie, (my name is Ann), I too had a tramatic childhood, some of which has never resurfaced, filled with a murder & abuse, it parallels Annie's life. Perhaps that is why I felt the depth every emotion you created. The book/story was a heart stopper, lightened only by the touch of humor & laughter Bobo's character added. I found myself walking 2 miles a day at my gym, just so I would be able to read as I walked and work thru the powerful emotions. You did a
Cindy Claar
Oct 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tough read

this book was tough to get into until about the 4th chapter. then it seems to take off....going faster and faster. each chapter contradicts the previous chapter of what happens leaving the reader confused. each chapter makes your heart grieve and long for correct believable information......trying to determine who is crazy and who is sane. it is a great story twisting the information every time you think it starts making sense. this is the 2nd book that I have read by this author. I wi
Kelly Hager
Aug 24, 2010 rated it it was ok
Anne's in her mid-30s. She's just arrived at her grandmother's house on a quest: she wants to remember her childhood. The first 11 years of her life are completely gone. She knows something bad happened to her, but she doesn't know what (or who's to blame).

This was an interesting concept and the book was definitely enjoyable to read, but it needed a decent copyeditor ("break" instead of "brake," for example).

I think also there was one too many twists at the end.

Still, an enjoyable enough book--
Janet
Jun 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I don't know what I was expecting when I picked out this book but once I started the first paragraph I couldn't put it down. The main character Annie is 35 and has no memory of her life before age 11. She moves back to her grandmother's house after her mother dies and begins the search of her past. It's well written and a fast read because you won't put it down. The ending came as a total surprise. I'll look for more books from this author.
Carol J Butram
Mar 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Memory Closet five stars

One of the best books and I seem to have a new "one of favorite authors" now. The characters are real people with flaws and fears but somehow like everyone just trying to make the best of what was handed out to them in life. The plot is great with a powerful twist. I am now about to read the next book she has written. Don't pass this one up. Carol
Sandy
Jan 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Disturbing and heartbreaking in equal measures

This isn't the type of book I would normally read but have enjoyed it immensely. It is very well written and the characters are well formed, the writer is very sympathetic to disturbing nature of memories the main character Anne starts to reveal when she attempts to remember her childhood.
Deborah Sulkowski
Jun 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good storyline, but some graphics were hard to read.

I really applaud the author for tackling a very difficult subject. This was about child abuse and she did a very good job in handling such a serious topic, and was very adept at instilling humor into the story at the same time. Other than some details that I found a bit too graphic I did enjoy and do endorse this book.
Sonja Randall
May 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To know or not to know – A blank childhood and a granny with a bad or maybe selective memory the only one who knows the truth. Journey to find the truth. However, the truth is not always what we wish it to be.
Nancy Preston
Mar 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Time Burner, but Worth It

I could not stop reading. I loved this book! It's just what I like....fast paced, multifaceted characters, nail biting ending. I will definitely read more of this author s books.
Tecky A. Rusk
Jan 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Attention Grabbing

This was my first novel by Ninie Hammon. I must say that I was quite impressed. The story maintained momentum, was full of twists and turns, and successfully portrayed what could have been a tragic reality-and she did so convincingly!
Terri
Aug 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an excellent book. The author was very good at describing her characters and the premise of the book draws you in. I would highly recommend this book.
Stacey
Jul 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy this psychological thriller a lot!
Jessica
May 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Never have I been more haunted by or heartbroken for a character...I still think about the characters 9 months later...
Kira
Dec 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an excellent read. I was guessing right up until the end and the suspense, was Annie mad or not, was very adequately explained.
Stacy Gertrude
Jun 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Slow start,great book

Interesting, intriguing read. Hard to put down. Easy read. Definitely recommend to a friend as one had to me. Read it
Joann Dew
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. The beginning was a little slow, but as my interest picked up, I couldn't put it down.
stephen stone
Apr 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good!

I couldn't put this book down. I loved the writing and theme. I would love to read more books like this.
Barb
May 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When Anne was 11 she lost her memory. Now it is 25 years later and she has had nightmares forever and goes back to live with her grandmother to find out what happened to her.
Vicki Valenta
This book gets off to a somewhat slow start. As the story unfolds you get pulled into the madness. The thing is, you can't figure out exactly who is mad. I was wondering right up to the climax of the story.
M E MURPHY
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gripping throughout

Loved this book. Kept me guessing until the end. Well written. Would definitely recommend. First book read by Ninie Hammond. Looking forward to reading another.
Martha J Hudkins
May 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kept me guessing

I enjoyed this book very much even as it made me sad. If you enjoy suspense and a story of how what happens in childhood can shape the adult you will enjoy this book.
MaryAnn
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a very good book. Keeps your interest through the whole book. I was really surprised of who actually it was.
  • The Dead Virgins (The India Sommers Mysteries, #1)
  • Fathom Lines
  • The Ninth Clan (Migration Trilogy #1)
  • The Angry Woman Suite
  • The Ruth Valley Missing
  • The Disillusionment of Anahera Daniels
  • Gracier
  • Jackson's Pond, Texas
  • Dead or Alive (Kevin Kerney, #12)
  • The Girl Who Never Came Back
  • The Secret Miss Rabbit Kept
  • The Laws of Harmony
  • Sins of the Father (Eriksson, #6)
  • Dark Illusion
  • Something Yellow
  • Rabbit in the Road
  • A Field of Red (Frank Harper Mysteries, #1)
  • The Painted Table: Honoring Mother--By Not Becoming Her
I was born in Socorro, New Mexico, sometime shortly after the earth cooled off. It’s clear that from the outset my parents never intended for me to amount to anything. How could I? With a name like “Ninie?” Please.

Fame and fortune do not come to people named Ninie Bovell (My maiden name.) Gabriella Bovary? You could work with that. Even something as pedestrian as Madeline Bovell or Rebecca Bovell
More about Ninie Hammon...

“Some smells are universally revered. Coffee brewing. Bacon frying. Burning leaves. Baby powder. And sawdust.” 3 likes
“I think ‘me’ is a moving target, Bobo. Like you put a bunch of rocks in a kaleidoscope, and every time you turn it, the pieces look different, but it’s still the same rocks.” 3 likes