Start by marking “Brother Wolf: A Forgotten Promise” as Want to Read:
Brother Wolf: A Forgotten Promise

Brother Wolf: A Forgotten Promise

The work of dedicated, wolf-obsessed wildlife photographer Brandenburg is splendidly displayed in this beautifully designed and produced book. The photos, which could really stand alone, are accompanied by less interesting text in which Brandenburg describes his experiences in search of wolves and h
Published November 1st 1993 by Northword Press (first published September 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Brother Wolf, please sign up.
Clayton Reese
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Brother Wolf: A Forgotten Promise
Mary
Dec 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-reviews
Brandenburg is more than a Brilliant Photographer.
The text in this book is a fascinating story of each wolf he "met"; the stories behind the photos. Timeless ... not just a coffee table book by any means!
Anna
"Brother wolf" offers a breath taking visual journey through the world of wild wolves; invites the reader to explore their magic and elegance and their relations with other wildlife (prey, partners and competitors).

The book is visually amazing - photographically brilliant!

Its weak side is the text. While it is at times interesting and beautifully written, it is largely driven by projections of the author's "gut feeling" biases and romantic stereotypes onto his subjects, especially the wolves. It
Jim
Apr 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Brandenburg fills his book with interesting observations about wolf behavior he witnesses while living in the wilds of northern Minnesota, but the highlight of the book is the striking photography, some of the most evocative images from nature that I've ever seen. One of my favorite photos is the classic image that appears on the cover of the book. I don't think I've seen another photo that does a better job of capturing the beauty and mystery of the wolf.
Monique
Apr 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I recommend this book. It has gorgeous pictures, some interesting information and is easy to read. Not too scientific, doesn't really go all that deep anywhere, but focuses on the author's personal feelings and experiences.
Harry Patrick
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I originally started this book because I'm in the process of doing a soapstone carving of a wolf & was looking for some inspiration. What I found was a author very passionate about the wolf both in it's relationship to man & it's ecology. The book was very engrossing, a quick & extremely well written read. He did a very good job in dispelling many of the myths surrounding the wolf. ...more
Nicole
May 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jim Brandenburgs Buch ist eine Reise zu "Bruder Wolf" die bewegt,anspricht und durch einfach unglaublich beeindruckende und schöne Bilder untermalt wird.
Seine Reise führt uns zu dem faszinierenden Wesen Canis lupus, ein Wesen verteufelt und gejagt, in Mythen beschworen und verehrt, vorurteilbehaftet gejagt und getötet.
Ein Wesen, welches dem Tier Mensch so ähnelt. Gewandt, intelligent, beharrlich, stark. Das Wesen Mensch jagt, ißt , sozialisiert und organisiert sich, vollzieht Rituale und ist ter
Alexis
Dec 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
I thought it was a well written account of one man's understanding of wolves. The book discusses the similarities between man and wolf and the dynamic relationship we share with each other and with the natural world. The author discusses the importance of leaving brother wolf alone instead of pursuing him. We have forgotten the ancient promise between man and wolf; to work and live in harmony with one another. We have forgotten that promise, but with time and changing attitudes we might be able ...more
Clayton Reese
Nov 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It is a damned fine book. Manages to tell of the ancient respect and mutual scavenging and hunting companionship that existed between wolves and humans, the eventual choice of certain wolves to be domestic dogs by further allying with our species in the Pleistocene sunlight, the relationship of the wolf to other animals in the environment of Minnesota, a brief history of the wolf's history in Northern Minnesota, the interesting parallels between the wolf's behavior and our own in regards to diet ...more
Crystal Sissons
Jul 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing book. The photographs are breathtaking and the narrative is sincere and reflective. I am eager to read more of Jim Brandenburg's work! Thank you for this wonderful book which helps re-open the world of Brother Wolf to those of us who seek it.
John
Dec 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
The best photos of timber wolves I've ever seen. I can't imagine the hours he must have spent to get those shots. Some thought-provoking text on the nature of the wolf-human relationship and wolf ecology accompanies the photos. If you've got any interest in wolves this book is worth a look.
Renne Sairanen
Colin
May 09, 2012
Rebecca Wilson
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such a moving introduction to the beauty of wolves. This book really opened my eyes to the threat we pose on such a intrancing species! The gorgeous photography is certainly an added bonus!
Mark Woodcock

• The Wisdom of Wolves: Lessons from the Sawtooth Pack
  • The Outermost House: A Year of Life on the Great Beach of Cape Cod
  • The Bad Guys: Episode 4: Attack of the Zittens
  • Slothilda: Living the Sloth Life
  • Pug Blasts Off (Diary of a Pug #1)
  • Midnight in Broad Daylight: A Japanese American Family Caught Between Two Worlds
  • The Beast in the Garden: The True Story of a Predator's Deadly Return to Suburban America
  • Young Men and Fire