Start by marking “The Lies We Told” as Want to Read:
The Lies We Told

The Lies We Told

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  9,875 Ratings  ·  715 Reviews
Maya and Rebecca Ward are both accomplished physicians, but that's where the sisters' similarities end. As teenagers, they witnessed their parents' murder, but it was Rebecca who saved Maya from becoming another of the gunman's victims. The tragedy left Maya cautious and timid, settling for a sedate medical practice with her husband, Adam, while Rebecca became the risk tak ...more
Published May 25th 2010 by Mira (first published 2010)

Mo
Apr 13, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

There seemed to be a complete turnabout in the personalities of the characters. And, Rebecca, especially. How could her feelings change in the space of a week or two. It's a pity really as the beginning of the book, well, most of the books was good and engaging.

I have read other books by this author and enjoyed them so I am su
Mitashi
Jun 14, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: bad
I am going to rant.. Coz i hate this book.. How can someone love her sister's husband.. Is 3years of marriage a shame.. He cheated on her unintentionally.. But the blow was so strong to me that I hated this book.. This story is very complicated and really out of scenario.. The sister feel in love with her sisters husband during they are searching for the sister... And than what after 2weeks of staying together.. They feel in love.. Are u kidding me... The hero Adam was married to maya.. And they ...more
Ashley Daviau
Apr 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
I'm left feeling slightly conflicted after finishing this book. While I did very much enjoy the majority of the book, towards the end it kind of lost me. Things did a complete 360 and then it was all wrapped up in a perfect happy ending that was just incredibly unbelievable. Especially since it ended kind of up in the air and then in the epilogue a year later, you're just plunked into what seems like an alternate universe. I'm still wondering what in the hell happened...
Heather
Feb 02, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Amanda
Dec 30, 2010 rated it it was ok
What in the world? This book has ticked me off, Rebecca is a selfish hussy, Maya is a spineless wuss and Adam is just a d-bag! The only character that was any good was Simmie! Have fun with this crap!
Connie
May 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: book-club-reads, 2014
Once again Chamberlain immerses the reader into the lives of her wonderful characters.....full of flaws, trials, and insecurities. She creates a story that is "easy" to read. This is the story of two sisters who are bonded by a horrible incident in their past, and each is harboring guilt about their role. They are as opposite as two sisters can be...or are they really?

Another tragedy years later in which they are once again connected brings about changes in both of them, and makes them face u
Stephanie
Jun 01, 2012 rated it liked it
After reading the blurb I was really keen to read this book. I've enjoyed all the Diane Chamberlain books I've read before, and so was confident I'd enjoy this one just as much. Initially, I did. I really liked how I was reading from Maya's point of view, and then from Rebecca's. However I felt that the story took quite a while to get going. The blurb reveals that Maya goes missing, but this didn't happen until well over 100 pages in. Whilst I enjoyed the story up until this point, I felt that t ...more
May 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
The Lies We Told, is a book I stayed up to finish, it's action packed; a page turner that you don't, almost can't put down until it's over, if your anything like me, at least – I had to know what the future could be for these two beautiful and ultimately amazing woman. Though, I have to say, the ending for me was a very hard pill to swallow, I understood why it had to end the way it did...but that does not, at all, mean I wanted it to end this way.

The Lies We Told ultimately left me with a prom
Miz
Sep 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook-owned
Oh I forget how delightful her writing it!! This was a super read that really captivated me until the final few chapters when the story all closed up nicely (too nicely).
Chloe
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Charlotte
Apr 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
I have been a huge fan of Diane Chamberlain's for quite a while now. Her writing has been compared to Jodi Picoult, but I will go a step further and say that her writing, while similar in genre, is better than Picoult's. Why, you ask? Well because I don't have the violent urge to throw the book at the wall when I come to the end. Once again, Ms. Chamberlain has written a touching story with characters that find their way into your heart.

Nora|KnyguDama
Dar viena Chamberlain knyga. Šią autorę dažnai lyginu su Jodi Picoult: abi daug rašo - kartais gerai, kartais nelabai, kartais sunku knygą padėti į šalį, kartais norisi mesti ir pamiršti, kad išvis skaitei. Tačiau abiejų rašytojų kūrybą vienija vienas dalykas - jos abi visada liečia skaudžias, aštrias, nepatogias ar dviprasmiškas temas. Apie romaną "Mūsų melas" - nevyniosiu žodžių į vatą: tai neįdomiausia mano skaityta Diane knyga.

Dvi seserys, abi medikės. Rebeka - dirba karštuose pasaulio tašku
Tatiana
May 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Диана Чемберлен «Муж напрокат, или откровения верной жены».

Вот город, где-то на северо-востоке США, на который обрушился сильнейших шторм. Под воду ушли целые улицы и районы, сотни и сотни испуганных и пострадавших людей прибывают в здание местного аэропорта, где не жалея сил работаю волонтеры Диды (Врачебная помощь в кризисных ситуациях). В центре сюжета три врача – Майя, Ребекка и Адам.

Майя – тихая и неуверенная в себе женщина, которая, кажется, боится всего на свете, но едет вслед за муже
Mel
Jul 28, 2013 rated it it was ok
Diane Ferbrache
May 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
When Rebecca and Maya were teenagers, they witnessed their parents' murder. This horrific event has haunted them all their lives. Now that they are adults, they are finally coming to terms with secrets and lies that have compounded the horror of that awful night.

Twists and turns in the plot keep the reader from being bored and constantly wondering what will happen next. Although I can't say this is the best book I've read, the plot is certainly satisfying, the characters interesting, and Chamber
Sara Smithson
Aug 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
By FAR my least favorite of Diane Chamberlain's books. This book centers on the relationship between two sisters, Maya and Rebecca.

After Maya is prodded by husband Adam and Rebecca to help with a relief aid group, her helicopter crashes and she vanishes. Both Adam and Rebecca fear she's dead, but in reality she is stranded on a tiny island with three bizarre people living on it. In the meantime, Adam and Rebecca are drawn together and fighting their attraction for each other.

I strongly dislike
Cindy
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: own
I enjoy Chamberlain’s books but this one just didn’t meet my high expectations. I disliked all the characters, became bored with the plot, and ending too tidy.
Danielle
Jun 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
As we grow throughout life there are things that happen to us that become a part of who we are forever. Sometimes those situations that become the layers of our character are so traumatic that we intentionally hide them from those we love the most. For Maya and Rebecca, sisters and the only surviving members of their family, the details behind one incident in particular are so traumatic that they’ve kept them from each other though their love runs deeper than any other. By so doing their lives a ...more
Elizabeth
Dec 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE; Jodi Picoult fans
Shelves: library, i-own-read
OH MY GOSH. This book is FANTASTIC. I was seriously going through a reading rut. I felt like I wasn't liking anything, but this book was AMAZING. This was my first Diane Chamberlain book, and I've heard she's a lot like Jodi Picoult, and I agree. Her stories are outrageous, and it's clear she's a very experienced writer. I loved how it went back and forth between the two sisters, and the book had so many twists and turns that it's not even funny. And the ending just blew me over the edge. I will ...more
Susan
Aug 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Okay, I admit it. I am a huge fan of Diane Chamberlain. I have read her books for many years and loved them all. This one does not disappoint. Chamberlain is a former psychologist/social worker and really understands people very well. She has seen some of the darker sides of life and the effects that secrets and lies have on people. She weaves stories that just keep you on the edge of the chair.

I am not going to write too much about the story because I don't want to spoil it for anyone. I thoug
Lisa
Dec 08, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was intrigued with this story from the start, it was fairly obvious that Rebecca had issues with her relationship with her sister Maya and I wanted to know what the secrets they had were. The portrayal of the different relationships were very interesting, Adam and Maya, Maya and Rebecca, Rebecca and Adam, Maya and her patients...but I have to say that I did not engage with Rebecca or Adam at all, I thought they were both fairly arrogant and overbearing, although Rebecca had underlying issues. ...more
Denise MacDonald
Jessica Ashe
Mar 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Diane Chamberlain is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors. This book contained a little sample of every feeling imaginable from love, loss, lust, heartbreak, starting anew, sibling rivalry to murder.

The one idea that stuck with me is the thought that we should make our lives in the sand instead of concrete so that anytime we decide to change them, it is easily possible.

This book was absolutely enamoring from the storyline to the writing technique. The plot kept me hooked from the very fi
Elizabeth
Apr 18, 2010 rated it liked it
This book has issues: infertility, violence, natural disaster, abortion, estranged sisters, and a marriage in trouble. These issues coupled with the "WHAT!?" ending make The Lies We Told interesting to read and perfect to discuss.

At my last job, I was the leader of a book discussion group, and this is exactly the kind of novel that we would have read. It would have created a stir within the members--some loving the characters and their action; some hating the characters and their actions. Howev
Nicole
Mar 03, 2012 rated it liked it
I love Diane Chamberlain, but this book frustrated me to the point of wanting to scream! I hope we were supposed to view Adam as a selfish, over bearing, self centered, low moraled creep...because I did. Rebecca as well. There were parts of the storyline that started to engage me (hence the 3 stars) but for the most part, I wanted to slap the two hypocrites.
Denise
Mar 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: ANYONE
I was fortunate to receive an ARC of this novel and am SO glad I did! It is the story of two sisters and fascinating family secrets--a story that only Diane Chamberlain can tell! This will definitely be another winner from Diane who is my favorite author. I highly recommend it!
Jenny
Oct 19, 2011 rated it it was ok
I have to agree with Lori, the ending just ruined this book for me. I was so mad when I was done with it, such a disappointment.
Marleen
Being a huge Diane Chamberlain fan, I finally got around reading The Lies We Told (published in 2010). As always, the writing style is very compelling, but I wasn’t totally taken with the characters this time; neither was I convinced by the plotline. Rebecca and Maya are two thirty-something sisters, both doctors, who say they are very close, but in reality there are many untold secrets between them. They never talked about their parents’ murder and personally, I find that very strange, for two ...more
Happycrafter207
Jul 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
Most of the book was good and entertaining. But the ending did not do it for me at all. It was all just way too convenient. Talk about tying it all up with a nice pink bow! I have a hard time believing someone would be prefect ok with the ending from Maya point of view. And I dont think it would really happen at all, it was only two weeks.
Carmel Harrington
Started off strong ...

Well written but I found the plot implausible, in particular the ending. Started off strong but the second half felt rushed. That said, Chamberlain always writes emotive and descriptive prose.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Sep 19, 2015 07:33AM
Goodreads Librari...: combination request and extra details 2 23 Jul 24, 2012 01:22PM
  • The Good Sister
  • Falling Home
  • The Slow Moon
  • The Surrogate
  • A Theory of Relativity
  • The Geometry of Sisters (Newport, Rhode Island, #1)
  • Hidden Wives
  • Home Again
  • After You
Diane Chamberlain is the New York Times, USA Today and Sunday Times bestselling author of 25 novels published in more than twenty languages. Some of her most popular books include Necessary Lies, The Silent Sister, The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes, and The Keeper of the Light Trilogy. Diane likes to write complex stories about relationships between men and women, parents and children, brothers and ...more
More about Diane Chamberlain

• Searching for Grace Kelly
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Bricking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Elephant Keeper's Daughter
  • The Virtues of Oxygen
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Home to Harmony (Harmony #1)
    $11.14 $1.99
  • Dog Crazy
  • The Towers of Tuscany
  • The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective
  • Who We Were Before
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Reluctant Midwife (Hope River, #2)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Sin No More (Reverend Curtis Black)
    $10.39 $1.99
  • We'll Always Have Paris: Stories
  • The Hidden Flower
  • Greyhound
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Take Two (Above the Line, #2)
  • The Heart Mender: A Story of Second Chances
  • Where We Belong
    $5.99 $1.49
  • Cashelmara
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dumplin' (Dumplin', #1)
  • The Sisterhood of Blackberry Corner
  • A Scattered Life
  • Every Ugly Word
  • A Memory of Violets: A Novel of London's Flower Sellers
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Desert God (Ancient Egypt, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Woman Who Breathed Two Worlds (Malayan #1)
  • An Amish Buggy Ride
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Elizabeth Street
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Gates of Rome (Emperor, #1)
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • It Is Well
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Sinful Calling (Reverend Curtis Black #13)
  • On a Cold Dark Sea
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Lady Viper (Tales from the Tudor Court #1)
  • Kings of Broken Things
  • Edward Adrift
  • The Restaurant Critic's Wife
    $3.99 $1.99
“Every family has a story, and I love that those stories are etched in sand rather than granite. That way we can change them. We can bury the lies and embrace the truth. And we can move forward.” 15 likes
“He spoke in incomplete sentences, as though he had so much he wanted to say that he needed to leave out some of the words to save time.” 2 likes