Start by marking “Rules, Britannia: An Insider's Guide to Life in the United Kingdom” as Want to Read:
Rules, Britannia: An Insider's Guide to Life in the United Kingdom

Rules, Britannia: An Insider's Guide to Life in the United Kingdom

3.6  ·  Rating details ·  265 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
How do you respond to a dinner invitation that says "Eight for eight thirty"? What might induce you to get off a London train at a place called Mud Chute? When is it okay to drive over a sleeping policeman? And why do teh Brits keep saying "Who's she, the cat's mother"?

Rules, Britannia is an invaluable resource for Americans who want to make a smooth transition when v
Published April 1st 2007 by Thomas Dunne Books (first published March 21st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Rules, Britannia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rules, Britannia

Mike Gabor
Mar 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having close ties to England, been going there since the 1970's and my daughter currently lives in London, I am always on the lookout for this type of book. I found this one to be very informative and quite funny at times. The author has a wonderful sense of humor. She gives you a good feel for England and mentions a few things that other books don't, such as, the reason for never using the pronouns, him or her, in certain situations. Gives a good explanation of the M, A, and B roads in England. ...more
Heidi
Jul 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read a couple of books for non-Brits wanting to emigrate to the UK, and this book is easily the best of the bunch. The target audience is Americans. People from other countries and cultures will also get something out of it, but the book is very clearly written for American visitors and expats.

The author discusses regions, shopping, school, food, entertainment, and so on, telling the reader how things in the UK compare to America and what to expect. The vocabulary lessons were extremely he
C.
Nov 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had such fun reading this book. It will give the readers many chuckles and surprises to discover the many differences of American English from Brit English.

Highly recommended for Anglophiles and those visiting or moving to England.
Lynda
Dec 30, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: england-european
I didn't realize when I picked up this ebook that it was written in 2006 as the ebook edition was 2013, so I found quite a bit of the references to be dated. Certainly in regards to cell phone usage and the like. Also, I found it to be written from a far more personal view than I expected. The reviews said it was hilarious, but it was not and only occasionally somewhat funny. There were far too many lists, and I, being Canadian, didn't find myself to be as mystified by the vocabulary here as the ...more
Elisa
Apr 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Funny, informative, full of lots of useful, interesting information. I mentioned to my friend who's currently studying in London that I was reading it and he said he read it before he moved and found it very useful. This would be a fun read for people who aren't relocating, too- or those going on a vacation, or just straight up anglophiles.
Incertaesedis
3 stars as it did not leave much of an impression on me. Rather dated now. If you are from Europe may not find this one that helpful. For deeper insights into the English psyche, I recommend Watching the English by Kate Fox instead, which did a surprisingly good job at preparing me for life in England.
Anna-Liisa
When I first got this book I just flicked through the chapters that interested me. Then I went back and filled in the gaps from start to finish. The list of words that may need translation at the end of each chapter is useful, especially for someone who has never had any exposure to the UK or British culture as she explains American words NOT to use. I found the chapter about the school system informative as I've never understood how it works despite my own experiences in the Australian school s ...more
Jacquelyn
Apr 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Americans visiting/relocating to the UK for any extended period of time
Very informative and well-written. Found myself re-reading and laughing outloud at many of the US/UK differences explained. The pronunciation and glossary sections at the end of each chapter are very helpful. I'll likely read this again and again before (and probably after) temporarily moving abroad.
Smitten by Britain
A handy guide to life in Britain and a don't miss for Anglophiles and tourists travelling to the UK for the first time. Clever and concise, as a Briton herself Mrs. Hargis knows of what she speaks. Now living in the mid-west United States, you can enjoy her musing on life as an expat at http://www.expatmum.blogspot.com
Melissa
It's always interesting to learn about other cultures, and to be reminded that we really don't speak the same language! LOL of this book is no substitute for the Jane Austen walking tour I hope to take some day
Erica
Sep 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel, kindle, england
I got some good insight into the differences between the UK and the US. I read it because I don't want to make an ass of myself on my upcoming trip to the UK. Some of the information seemed a bit obvious to me, some of it was enlightening.
Yingtai
May 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anthro
It was unreadable. There were a lot of lists. But it is a hell of a reference.

Beware of the Kindle edition. There are typos that are undetectable unless you already know Britspeak, which is problematic for a book of this kind.
Bobby
Mar 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not great literature but a great read and laugh-out-loud funny. Those Brits are a total kick in the britches! Her explanation of language differences will make you afraid to say anything. A good culture study even if you don't plan to visit England. And, again, funny.
Emilie
Jul 04, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: uk
It was an interesting enough book, although I didn't finish it. It gave me interesting and useful tips for my stay in the UK. As a non-American, not everything spoke to me, but enough of it did for it to have been interesting.
Bill Hassall
Jun 22, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very helpful. Explanation as to new terms that I am going to encounter in the UK. I will no longer call something a "fanny pack" - UK equivalent - "pussy pack".
Gross. I recommend to those who are about to live in the UK.
Kristen
A gift from the very thoughtful Laura! This has definitely come in handy. Some of the information she gives seems a little iffy, but for the most part, it is a useful guide. I will definitely be referring to it often.
mundiemom5
Jul 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent "need to know" guide to living like a normal British person in England (or Scotland, Ireland, or Wales for that matter). If your planning to move there this is a must read. I enjoyed learning about the everyday life of living in the United Kingdom.
R.L.
May 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a handy guide for those Americans wishing to visit or move to Britain. Everyone should learn the differences that aren't really differences between our two cultures.
Tori
2008- Basically a handbook for ""Yanks"" going across the pond to live. Not really what I was expecting, but I'm sure it's useful for those relocating.
Katrina Becker
Someday this book will come in handy... Someday...
Bethany Schwartz
An OK read but didn't find it that helpful. I recently moved to the UK and found more useful information on-line. Also would recommend "Living and Working in London"
Alison
Aug 12, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good British etiquette book peppered with a bit of humor written by an ex-pat living in Chicago.
Lisa
Jan 10, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Humour (with a U). Not a one-sitting read, but OK nonetheless.
Kiri
Jun 02, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Cute but essentially not a lot of substance. It wasn't "insider" enough for me, not nearly as educational as the excellent "Bum Bags and Fanny Packs".
Jenna Veirs
Jun 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was fantastic for any American visiting the UK.
Stephanie
Jul 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wanderlust
Hiiiiiiiiiiiil-freaking-larious!
Melanie
Fun read - although perhaps a bit dated - for the plane. The section on language and pronunciation is by far the best.
Mrs
Aug 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book is both funny and educational, I loved it very much.
Lauren
Jan 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Will definitely be reading this again! Extremely helpful.
stephanie
Nov 01, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: london
not the best writing nor an engaging narrative, but really useful tidbits of information that help someone culturally/professionally/socially adapt to life in UK
The Tyler Group, Utvecklingen i UK utrikespolitik 2 1 Nov 06, 2012 06:42PM
  • The People's Guide to Mexico
  • Metro Stop Paris: An Underground History of the City of Light
  • Life in the English Country House: A Social and Architectural History
  • My Love Affair with England: A Traveler's Memoir
  • A Fine Romance:  Falling in Love with the English Countryside (#3)
  • Travelers' Tales India: True Stories

$7.74 $1.99
  • The Autobiography of Malcolm X
    $7.99 $1.99
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All Over But the Shoutin'
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Sous Chef: 24 Hours on the Line
    $13.99 $1.99
  • WEIRD: Because Normal Isn't Working
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey: The Lost Legacy of Highclere Castle
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Man Who Made Vermeers: Unvarnishing the Legend of Master Forger Han van Meegeren
    $14.99 $1.99