Start by marking “Jedi Search (Star Wars: The Jedi Academy Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Jedi Search (Star Wars: The Jedi Academy Trilogy, #1)

Jedi Search

(Star Wars: The Jedi Academy Trilogy #1)

As the war between the Republic and the scattered remnants of the Empire continues, two children--the Jedi twins--will come into their powers in a universe on the brink of vast changes and challenges. In this time of turmoil and discovery, an extraordinary new Star Wars saga begins....

While Luke Skywalker takes the first step toward setting up an academy to train a new ord
Mass Market Paperback, 355 pages
Published March 1994 by Bantam Spectra Books

Ashley
This was the first Star Wars expanded universe book I ever read, and as mediocre as it is, it's primarily responsible for my obsession with Star Wars (and the EU) throughout my last two years of high school. Simply by existing, it was awesome back then. There was MORE STORY after the movies. More OFFICIAL STORY. Now, though, I have higher standards. It was fun to revisit this book that I liked when I was sixteen, again, mostly because it existed, but nostalgia was really the only reason I had an ...more
TheTick
Jul 09, 2007 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: insomniacs and people who hate themselves
Shelves: star-wars
Painful, painful, painful. I was smack in the middle of a revival of my love of Star Wars thanks to Timothy Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy. I wanted more, had to have it, so I quickly snapped up these from my local bookseller. The smile on my face soon faded as I waded through the first book. None of the characters sounded like I imagined them...they said things they wouldn't say, did things that I KNEW they wouldn't do. The worst offenses were against characters that Zahn had created...KJA's interpretat ...more
Jerry
Aug 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
The Good: An old-school entry in the Star Wars Expanded Universe, this novel brings the action and heroism you've come to expect from the franchise. Kevin J. Anderson's writing is fabulous, and the story really took me to a galaxy far, far away. Though the ending wasn't a cliffhanger, I can't wait to see where the trilogy goes from here.

The Bad: Minor complaints: one or two profanities, too much advertising in the back, etc. All small potatoes when you consider how good this book was.

Conclusion:
Crystal Starr Light
Jul 15, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-wars
Han and Chewie are out to Kessell to win its support for the New Republic after the events of Dark Empire I (Star Wars) (I haven't actually read that comic, but I've heard a lot about it). Unfortunately, Moruth Doole has no intentions of joining and sends Han and Chewie into the spice mines, where they meet the Force sensitive, Kyp Durron. Meanwhile, Leia holds things together on Coruscant, worrying for her husband, and Luke begins his Jedi Search, finding two candidates, Gantoris and Streen.

I L
Matt
Oct 02, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: night-soil
It was on page 15 of this book that I realized that this simply would not be a book I enjoyed reading:

"During the previous year of violent strife, Luke had been whisked away to the resurrected Emperor's stronghold in the galactic core, and there he had allowed himself to learn the dark side. He had become the Emperor's chief lieutenant, just like his father, Darth Vader."

You see I really enjoyed the Star Wars movies of my childhood, and also really enjoyed Timothy Zahn's Trilogy of books that b
Bryan
Oct 09, 2014 rated it it was ok
Kevin J Anderson is given the chance to contribute to one of the biggest and most beloved science fiction universes ever created, and he comes up with blob races. A significant portion of the book is dedicated to blobs. Racing. More impressively, the entire blob subplot ends up amounting to nothing more than Lando Calrissian on vacation. The entire section could be removed without affecting the plot of the novel. This is probably the worst of several uninspired decisions made in this book.

Despit
Jason
Sep 01, 2012 rated it did not like it
As is the case with any genre of writing, there are some authors who can really get it done for their readers and some who can't. The whole time I was reading Timothy Zahn's excellent Thrawn Trilogy, I kept finding myself being pleasantly surprised at how much I was enjoying the storyline and at how well Zahn conjured the spirit of those familiar characters while rendering new characters who flow seamlessly into the already well-established storyline from the films. Zahn's dialogue made me feel ...more
Alexa
Dec 14, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
FIRST THOUGHTS: 3.5 stars. While JEDI SEARCH and I had a rocky start (due mostly to the abrupt character POV switches and me personally not being used to reading sci-fi), it mellowed out into an excellent story in the end. I loved being reunited with some of my favorite people in the Star Wars universe, and getting to witness their adventures after everything that's happened in the films. I think, of all the stories, I was most interested in Han's individual arc, but it all works together to bri ...more
Charity
Jul 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book and am looking forward to reading the next one in the series! I thought the writing was good and the storyline is really interesting. I would definitely recommend this book to any Star Wars Fan.

The only thing I noticed that was funny was the author focuses a LOT on Admiral Daala's hair. Every scene with her, something is mentioned about her hair. I just found that a little odd but funny. Anyone else notice that?

Overall, this is a good book!
Siria
Jun 05, 2007 rated it it was ok
There really isn't much I can say about this, other than the fact that I am simultaneously amused and appalled that my twelve-year-old self liked this book so much. In fairness, it's not that Anderson is a bad writer, though his characterisation makes me want to smack him frequently; it's just that I could only contain my laughter up to the time he describes one of the characters looking out at the city of Coruscant bathed in starlight. You know. Coruscant. The planet the entire surface of which ...more
Andrew
Apr 28, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction
A really awful book. There are charcoal smudges all over the pages. The corners of the covers are bent and there are some deep scratches on the cover. Kevin j anderson is written on the cover and seeing that is always a bad thing.
I must admit that the shiny bronze color is nice. The only really worthwhile thing about the book though is the Lando Calrissian portrait on spine.

Overall I give it 1 Suncrusher out of 5
Ron
Sep 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
Better than what I've come expect from Anderson. oh, the usual cliques and short cuts are there, but there's also a real story.

Every reader understands the significance of the red in Kyp's aura. Why doesn't Luke? Trying to increase the drama, authors often dumb down their characters to the point of silliness.

Cover art sucks. Were these Star Wars book covers done by competing grade schoolers?
RumBelle
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: star-wars, favorites
The second major trilogy in the EU of books, this one centered on several things. First and foremost, Luke's search for new Jedi, and his determination to rebuild a Jedi Academy. We also have the harrowing adventures of Han and Chewie and their rather unpleasant detour to Kessel. There though, they will encounter someone who will play a huge, life changing role in the EU for years to come.

As Luke looks not only for new Jedi, but also his friends, he learns about the Sun Crusher, another one of t
Austin Bartel
May 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Ben
Jan 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book was great. The part I liked best was when (view spoiler). I also like that Lando was his old self and not some politician now. Like he was still a man of action rather than debating what to do. Han could never change and Luke has gotten more Jedi like. This took me a week to read since I wanted every little d ...more
Leah Webber
Apr 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Better than I thought it was going to be. Of course, I have just finished the Courtship of Princess Leia, and really anything could have topped that one.

A fun jaunt through the Kessel system, home of the famous Kessel Run for Han Solo. He's kind of the star of this book, and he goes through a lot. The villians he faces are sufficiently bad, although I found Admiral Dalla a little wanting. She might redeem herself in the next two books, though, since this is a trilogy and she's obviously the main
Mark Oppenlander
Linfer
Mar 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
My overall impression was mostly meh with the saving grace of an enjoyable blob race.

This novel really was just a long string of convenient coincidences and some ridiculous revelations (seriously? seriously!!??) with a side of yawn-inducing clichés. I mean, I get it that the author wanted to show Leia both as a competent politician and a good mother but Jeez, it was just too convenient that she had to deal with this situation alone while Han was tangled up somewhere else.
Plus the whole plot with
Dan
Sep 09, 2009 marked it as read-but-do-not-remember
I read a lot of crap spin offs from Star Wars when I was in middle school. I barely remember this series, except that it tied in with the Tales of the Jedi comic series, and the Thrawn Trilogy.

I admired Kevin J. Anderson's commitment to consistency. Even though it is a losing battle against a swirling storm of crap ideas and subpar writing, fueled by the money of maladjusted tween boys.

Also, this trilogy contains a really lame way of "one upping the death star."
Whitney
Jan 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: own, my-hubbys
I've never really given Star Wars a try before. When I started dating my husband I agreed to watch the movies with an open mind. It still wasn't really my cup of tea, but I see why people who like Science Fiction like the movies. This book was good, though. The movies helped me visualize the characters, so I'm glad I saw what I did. I loved how the characters paired off doing their own things, and then it all combined in the end. It was action packed and very descriptive.
We own this trilogy, so
Thomas Cools
Jan 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a Star Wars fan I enjoyed this book a whole lot. I know this is glorified fanfiction and I’m a bit embarassed to read these books in public. But still great (yet silly) stuff. Come on, it’s a book about Luke Skywalker looking for other Force-users to start a new Jedi Academy! How cool is that?!

Seriously though, If you’re not a fan, don’t touch this book.
Kelly
May 07, 2009 rated it liked it
Is this a great book? No. Did I read it three times? Yes. But that's 'cause I loved me some Luke/Mara Jade. They're not bad- better than most of the SW fiction out there, but kind of average for the canon storyline.
Matthew
Mar 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, library, 2015, series
I was entertained by this continuation of the Star Wars saga. Nothing too deep here, just good sci-fi fun! However, the constant reminders of previous story lines and nods toward one liners from the original movie series did get a bit old after awhile.
Dhrishni
May 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
I picked this book up because it was easily available (in the pantry of my office :P) and also because I wanted to find out what the big deal about Star Wars was.
Loved it :) Looks like I'm gonna be a fan soon :D (or wait.. am I already?)
Max
This proved to be significantly less fun than I remembered it being when I was a kid. Probably part of that is simply nostalgia versus reality, but I think the big thing is that when I read a book called Jedi Search that opens the Jedi Academy trilogy, I want to read about Luke Skywalker searching for new Jedi and founding an academy. Instead, this is mostly the "Han Solo gets kidnapped and the Empire has a ridiculous new superweapon" show. Really, it's the same problem I had when I tried readin ...more
Daniel Lewis
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
The book that I chose to read was Star Wars: Jedi Search by Kevin J. Anderson. The book is a science fiction book set in the Star Wars universe. The book has multiple main topics. The book has multiple overarching topics, these topics include; mystery, adventure, stress, and horror themes midway through.
I think people like science fiction so much because since it’s fiction, so the characters can go on crazy adventures, but then it can all be explained away by futuristic technology and advanced s
Joel
Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it

“What is a legend? According to the Random House Dictionary, a legend is “a nonhistorical or unverifiable story handed down by tradition from earlier times and popularly accepted as historical.”

This quote is from the appendix of the Star Wars Legends stories, and I find this explanation of the “non-canonical” line to be very helpful. When dealing with literary “canons” there often tends to be a separation that is akin to the divide between orthodoxy and heresy, however I don’t believe that this
Colin McEvoy
Oct 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-wars
The last Star Wars book I had read before this one – following the chronology of the stories themselves – was X-Wing: Isard's Revenge, and especially in comparison to that one, Jedi Search is a FAR superior entry in the expanded universe of novels. Granted, Star Wars novels are my so-called "guilty pleasure" reading, so I don't expect fine literature by any means, nor would I say Kevin J. Anderson's writing style is perfect by any stretch of the imagination. (Maybe this is just a pet peeve, but ...more
Stephanie
Dec 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-wars
I first read this set of books when I was 13. It was the first set of books I remember reading that weren't The Baby-Sitters Club series or from the Young Adult section of the library. I loved Star Wars and was excited to read about Luke's academy and Han and Leia's family.
I remember I did like the books but almost 13 years later I found I forgot a lot of details in the book.

Jedi Search
The first book is always the one that sets things up. This book was actually the one that stood out most in my
Donovan
Feb 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
The Jedi Academy trilogy occurs about 7 years after Return of the Jedi. It consists of:-
Dark Apprentice
Champions of the Force

Plot ***Spoilers***

Jedi Search
The story begins with Han Solo and Chewbacca on a diplomatic mission from the New Republic to the spice mines of Kessel.

Unbeknownst to them, Moruth Doole had taken over the space mines, and was convinced the Falcon with Solo and Chewbacca aboard was a spy ship, a prelude to invasion to seize control of the extremely lucrative spice
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Showdown at Centerpoint (Star Wars: The Corellian Trilogy, #3)
  • Shield of Lies (Star Wars : Black Fleet Crisis, #2)
  • Rebel Stand (Enemy Lines, #2) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #12)
  • The New Rebellion (Star Wars)
  • Rebirth (Edge of Victory, #2) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #8)
  • Hero's Trial (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #4)
  • Reunion (Force Heretic, #3) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #17)
  • Star by Star (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #9)
  • The Courtship of Princess Leia (Star Wars)
  • Traitor (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #13)
  • The Bacta War (Star Wars: X-Wing, #4)
Yes, I have a lot of books, and if this is your first visit to my amazon author page, it can be a little overwhelming. If you are new to my work, let me recommend a few titles as good places to start. I love my Dan Shamble, Zombie P.I. series, humorous horror/mysteries, which begin with DEATH WARMED OVER. My steampunk fantasy adventures, CLOCKWORK ANGELS and CLOCKWORK LIVES, written with Neil Pear ...more

Star Wars: The Jedi Academy Trilogy (5 books)
  • Dark Apprentice (Star Wars: The Jedi Academy Trilogy, #2)
  • Champions of the Force (Star Wars: The Jedi Academy Trilogy, #3)
  • Jedi Academy Trilogy (Star Wars)
  • Jedi Academy: Leviathan (Star Wars)
“Trying to kill your own father, dueling with a clone of yourself, serving the Dark Side for the Emperor. If that's what it takes to be a powerful Jedi, maybe I don't want the job!” 1 likes