Start by marking “Friends” as Want to Read:
Friends

Friends

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  354 Ratings  ·  52 Reviews
Charlie Rooster, Johnny Mouse, and Percy the pig are the best of friends. They do everything together. They ride their bike together, play games together, and even do their chores together. Because that's what good friends do. When night falls, though, and it's time to go to bed, they learn that sometimes friends have to be apart. But that's okay, because true friends alwa ...more
Published May 1st 1997 by Aladdin (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Friends, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Friends

Terry
Sep 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I don't care WHO you are....I don't care how OLD you are....if you can't read this and love it....you're too old for me!
Cheryl
Mar 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Well alrighty then. Great theme, but I think it would have been more effective and interesting if they did one thing together, and then did something that showed them as individuals, back and forth throughout, so to speak. In the book they do *everything* except sleep together, and that's just not realistic, imo.
Alice
Mar 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
My sister told me about this book. She said they read it in the preschool she does Speech Pathology. She got to giggling about the three friends riding the bike. The Mouse on one pedal, the pig on the other pedal and the rooster steering.

Cute book cute pictures...I had to watch/read this on Youtube but we are going to be ordering it soon because I think this a fun and important story!
BurntOrangeOwl
Sep 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The best!
Cece
Feb 14, 2010 rated it liked it
Three animal friends that do everything together. They can't find a place for all three to sleep and they realize they can't always be together.
Morgan Carlson
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Friends is a story about three good friends, Charlie Rooster, Johnny Mouse, and fat Percy, who live on a farm together. They wake up and go on adventures all day and settle down to eat together. Even though they want to do everything together, they can't figure out a way to sleep together. They all decided that even though they wanted to, they couldn't sleep together, so they all dreamt of each other.

One element of fantasy that it seen in this book is that they are all talking animals. This also
Maria
Nov 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: life-stories
1.Five to eight year old's.
2. "Friends" is a charming book that recounts the day of a rooster, mouse and pig. They work together to use an old boat and sail to a great cherry tree where they all share the cherries. Then, they bicycle around. When nighttime comes they decide its best to sleep in their own beds, however, true friends always dream of each other. The dynamic between the friends is heartwarming.
3. "Friends" by Helme Heine is a delightful little book that illustrates the true meaning
Diane
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Johnny Mouse, Charlie Rooster and fat Percy are the best of friends. Once Charlie has done his morning wake-up call, the three friends set out on their bicycle for a day’s outing. Then, they find a boat and take off on the pond. But at the day’s end, they find they must go their separate ways.

Cute illustrations.
Luis Dovasquez
El libro tiene unas ilustraciones hermosas ideales para leerlo con niños y admirar la hermosa ambientación del libro, pero la historia carece de mucho sentido, es vacía y pierde la narrativa. Pudo explotarse más la idea.
Solveig
Gullig bok om vänskap mellan en mus, en gris och en tupp med underbara bilder och fantasiflykter.
Kara Moreland
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book told about three best friends a pig, a mouse, and a chicken. They ride their bicycle to adventures, find a boat and ride around in it, eat until their bellies are full, rest, ride home, try to have a sleepover but end up going home. They end up dreaming about each other.
I like this book a lot. It has such a strong friendship theme. The adventures they go on are cute and the illustrations are great and really tie the story together.
This would be good in a younger class to read about h
Barbara
Three unlikely friends, Charlie Rooster, Johnny Mouse, and Percy the pig, enjoy doing just about everything together. Like all good friends, they play together and do chores together. But when they try to spend the night at one another's homes, it just doesn't work out. Johnny's mouse hole is too small to go through, Percy's pigsty is too messy for Johnny Mouse, and they break Charlie Rooster's perch with their weight. They just have to wait until daybreak to spend time together again. I loved t ...more
Christine Boyer
Sep 23, 2012 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: No one.
I was going to read this to my class for an essay idea on friendship. Now it's in the garbage. The idea was good: how to navigate the threesome friendship (which we all know is trickier than the twosome). But I couldn't get past one of the 3 main characters - the pig. On the book jacket he's referred to as "Percy the Pig", but all through the book he's "Fat Percy". One scene the friends give him more of the share of food because, well, because he's fat. Sorry, but I have several overweight stude ...more
Jenny
Sep 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
In the original German instead of just "resting" after they eat the cherries it says they "mussten" and any German speaking kid knows that means they had to go to the bathroom. So that cute illustration of them "resting" by the cherry tree in the tall grass is not what it seems. It's also what made this book stand out when I found it and made it one of my very favorites. The watered-down English version turns this clever, inventive book into just an average book where most people never really pi ...more
AFMasten
Sep 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
I've been reading this book for thirty years. I thought we'd lost it, but I found it again this summer as I was preparing a secret library for three children who were planning to visit. Probably the best, sweet and funny, watercolor pictures ever in a children's book. And a perfect story about friendship.
Haley Sterritt
This book could be used to show how students should interact with one another. It goes through friends that discover a problem at the end with not being able to stay overnight with each other because of their different animal habitats. It shows that you can be good friends, but sometimes have to be your own person too.
Elizabeth
Mar 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book to end the school year with. The overall theme is that sometimes friends have to be apart, but true friends will always find each other. The vocabulary may be difficult for kindergarteners, but the vocabulary can easily be scaffolded.
Ro
Jan 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
You know that idea that being fair is giving each individual what he/she needs and that that won't look the same for each? I don't recall a picture book with a fairly simple plot for younger readers that addresses this like this book has.
Brent Rogers
Apr 25, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: kids, animals, fiction
There are numerous animals in this book and they become friends. They go on a bike ride and canoeing adventure. This book is great for children to accept everyone for who they are and about good times to have with friends.
Erika Donahue
A book about friendship and things good friends do even when they can't be together all the time! Good for children who want to spend every moment with their friends and also good for teaching them how to be good friends to others!
Hege
Mar 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone with kids, great for reading out loud
A cosy little story about being friends :)
Rani
Sep 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Three unlikely creatures become friends for life.
Lindsey Lubker
Apr 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: friendships, sharing
Rooster, Mouse, And pig are all best friends who do everything together. This book find out they can't really do everything together l especially sleep in mouse's house.
E.G. Jönsson
Schöne Bilder, aber ein bisschen merkwürdige/mangelhafte Botschaft.
Rose Goodwin
This is a book about animals who do everything together. It has nice ways of being a true friend.
Mips
Jun 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
Nederlandse titel "Dikke vrienden"
MJ
Nov 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Alissa roamed around the bedroom while I read these.
KateCurtis
Sep 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Read this as a read aloud and loved it!
T Crockett
This is cute and the kids always enjoy it when we find it on the shelf and give it a read. But it's not one that they ask for, and once it's on the shelf again it seems to be forgotten.
Jill
Jul 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
Love the illustrations in this little book! Gotta check out Helme Heine's other kids' books now - so cute!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Bee-Man of Orn
  • Merlin and the Making of the King
  • Animals in Winter (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science. Stage 1)
  • Dig!