Start by marking “The Magic of Thinking Big” as Want to Read:
The Magic of Thinking Big

The Magic of Thinking Big

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  51,260 ratings  ·  1,538 reviews
The Magic of Thinking Big gives you useful methods, not empty promises. Dr. Schwartz presents a carefully designed program for getting the most out of your job, your marriage and family life, and your community. He proves that you don't need to be an intellectual or have innate talent to attain great success and satisfaction, but you do need to learn and understand the hab ...more
Published April 2nd 1987 by Touchstone (first published 1959)

To ask other readers questions about The Magic of Thinking Big, please sign up.
Ben Azadi Heck yeah, the success principles in this book have stood the test of time.

Monica
Jun 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
An inspiring book that will teach you to think beyond the mundane, every day, status quo. The enemy we call "average" threatens to take away the hopes, dreams, and meaning in our lives. Strive for excellence in everything you do. If you want something you've never had, you'll have to do something you've never done.
Tracy S.
Dec 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Tracy S. by: Ryan Godsey
I know several people who feel that this book has changed their lives. I'm not certain I can make that claim for myself, but this was the first time I'd heard of the three failure diseases: Procrastonation, Excuse-itis and detail-itis. I think at some time or another, I was guilty of all three. Now I tend to catch mysef in the midst of them and think "a-ha! Stop that."
David Rosage
Feb 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone with dreams
Recommended to David by: My Father
This book changed the way I look at the world, and will remain a powerful reminder of the great things that can be accomplished with the right attitude.
Anthony Fox
May 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A Review of The Magic of Thinking Big by David J. Schwartz

Think success, don’t think failure. The mantra of believe in yourself is the premise of this book. The copy I have read was first published in 1960. This was one of the books I found in my grandfather’s bookcase and one which I kept after he died. This is second time I have read this book with many years between the readings. I know the book has been re-published many times since and is available. The reason I selected this book to write
Brady Bunte
Nov 24, 2013 rated it liked it
I have to admit, I have read this book about 8 times. I make it a goal to read this book every six months because of the powerful influences that come from Dr. Schwartz. I read this book initially in 1999 and was taken aback by how powerful the thinking process is. As a result of applying the book, I was able to get a better job, attain certifications in my field (Computers), buy a house and feel much better about myself. If you find yourself in need of a change, look no further than this book.
I
Nancy
May 14, 2009 rated it it was ok
I came away from this self-help book with a few useful/helpful tidbits, namely in the "stay positive," "love what you do" and "work hard" categories. However, as helpful as the book was in the 1960s for millions of people, I don't think I represent its ideal audience.

Because, in order to truly glean more than just a few tidbits of advice from this book, I imagine you would have to subscribe to the thinking that "success" and its cousin, "happiness," are defined the way Dr. Schwartz defines it:
James
May 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
I'm a Yorkshireman — from the north of England — we subsist on a steady diet of tea and disappointment. This book contains good advice but as a grumpy northerner I still found it annoying.

You can buy the book here.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com
Mahshid Parchami
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pdf, re-read, self-help
.بهترین کتابیه که تا به حال در زمینه موفقیت خوندم. مخصوصا به خاطر توجه به موضوع اعتماد به نفس و ارائه راهکارهای عملی
Mohammed Al-Abdullah
Jun 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: the-best-ever
I got the recommendation for this book from Anthony Robins in his famous book (Awaken Your Giant Within) , and he quoted lots of sayings and mentioned them in his book ..

Then I decided to read it as soon as I could .. Although, it's shorter than Robins's book but really it's an amazing book, full of essential concepts and secrets ..

I recommend everybody to read it deeply and apply it's concepts
Mike
Dec 31, 2008 rated it really liked it
I don't really like self help books, but this was a really good book. Simple, quick read, and actually had intelligent content. I would recommend this book to anyone, but if you like self help books, then this is a must read.
Michael Fox
Feb 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book many years ago. It changed my life. So, I picked up a Kindle edition and took another tour through its pages. It's still a game changer. I'm surprised at two things: 1) how many principles taught in this book that I've forgotten over the years, and 2) how some of my fundamental characteristics, things that are deeply ingrained in me, were rooted in this book from my first reading all those years ago. This book is now going on my annual rotation list.
Brian Johnson
Nov 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
“Think Big and you’ll live big. You’ll live big in happiness. You’ll live big in accomplishment. Big in income. Big in friends. Big in respect… Start now, right now, to discover how to make your thinking make magic for you. Start out with this thought of the great philosopher Disraeli: ‘Life is too short to be little.’”

“In brief, it really is easy to forget the unpleasant if we simply refuse to recall it. Withdraw only positive thoughts from your memory bank. Let the others fade away. And your
Holly
Apr 08, 2014 rated it did not like it
On the one hand, this book had some good advice about things like thinking positive, treating people well and setting a good example. On the other hand, the author's misogynistic views on women is prevalent throughout the book and is really a sign of when this book was written (the 1950s). Women cannot be successful business people - they are allowed to work menial jobs or be wives, but nothing more.

I'd like to think that since they are still publishing this book that they would update it every
Lars Andersson
Sep 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This one of the first books I read in my life and it is very good if you like to learn how to do a business in any kind shape or form.
I love the way it is written and it sure helped me a lot.
So if you like to succeed with a business this may give you some hints.
Ashok Krishna
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Books on personal development, or the so-called ‘self’-help genre, have been around for so long, there is no doubt about that. There is a plethora of such books, which promise to help a person overcome the tough situations in life and sail through smoothly. Especially in our modern times, where publishing a book has become as easy as ordering a product online, there is a rise in the number of authors who promise to improve your life by offering some quick-fix solutions for your troubles. But the ...more
عز عبده
قرأت الكتاب من فترة
وهو كتاب جيد
ولكنه يغفل الإيمان تماماً ... يجعل الإنسان عبارة عن آله مفكرة على الرغم من ان أول فصل يتحدث عن إيمانك بقدراتك

يعطيك كثير من الأفكار عن أساليب التفكير وأهمية التفكير الإيجابي
ولكنه يغفل تماماً باقى كيان الإنسان

الكتاب من منظور عملى جيد .. ولكنه يفتقد للقيمة الحقيقية فى لماذا يفكر الإنسان ولماذا يطور تفكيره ؟
وما هى أهمية تطوير التفكير ... ويجعل ذلك كله محصوراً فى الحياة الدنيا ويغفل تماماً اعظم ما لدى المسلمين وهو أن التفكير عندهم وسيلة رائعة تقربهم من ربهم

الكتاب يض
Asep Sambodja
Nov 16, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Temanku yang sedang putus asa di sana...
buku ini aku baca saat aku mengalami kegagalan pada 1986. buku ini pula yang membangkitkan aku dari kegagalan itu. aku sangat berterima kasih dengan penulis buku ini. karena begitu membantu aku bangun dari keterpurukanku. bayangin, ketika aku gagal, kepala sekolahku di sma 1 ungaran langsung melecehkanku. untung aku lari ke buku, bukan ke narkoba. ah, ternyata buku juga sama dengan narkoba. sekarang aku kecanduan buku. bahkan, ketika stress saat mahasiswa dulu, saat tugas menumpuk, aku baca juga ...more
Steven Walle
Sep 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite books of its' kind. David J. Schwartz teaches that if we can conceive it; then we can believe it, and if we can believe it; we can achieve it.
He goes into detail on how to create the correct mindset for success.
I highly recommend this book to all.
Enjoy and Be Blessed.
Hisham
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
كتاب قيم جدا برسالة واضحة وأسلوب بسيط في تطوير الذات يناسب شريحة كبيرة من الاعمار . لكن سيكون الأثر الأكبر في المراهقين ومابعدها من مراحل عمرية .
David P.
Jan 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
My Dad assigned me to read a book sometime in late November. The book he assigned me to read was The Magic of Thinking Big by Dr. David J. Schwartz, one of the leaders on the art of motivation (according to the back of the book, anyway. According to my Dad, this book would give me great principles on how to be successful in life. In this regard, the book succeeds greatly. Along with that, Dr. Schwartz makes it interesting to read about the success principles.

So, what is The Magic of Thinking Big
Andy
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is very good as historical sociology more than as self-help. I think this stuff was relevant especially for the generation that came of age in the Great Depression and World War II in America. Those people had been through hell, but then emerged into a booming economy with a ballooning middle-class. They needed a kick in the pants to stop thinking negatively. And the (white) guy who wanted to succeed big could rise above the masses by being a go-getter. The "American Dream" of upward mobili ...more
Mason Frierson
Dec 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It’s always shady when you see someone using the usual cliché "This book has changed my life!". While I usually don't take those comments seriously (too much money wasted in 'life-changing' books, I guess) I have to admit that sometimes a particular book hits you with more impact than usual and after a couple of years some self-examination might leave you with the impression that perhaps the author has indeed influenced your choice of paths more than you would have expected.

This was the case wit
Soheil
Oct 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
A book that is focused on telling you that "you are what you think". To tell you that whatever you think of in your mind will become reality whether it would be positive or negative thoughts. It gives you practical programs and steps to change your outlook and the way you think and prepares you for a successful life ahead full of achievements of your own thinking.

The book's philosophy is solid. Whatever is said here conforms with whatever you may have read or heard elsewhere. While the book is g
Cate
Sep 11, 2014 rated it it was ok
This is a good book only if you read it to yourself in the voice of a 1950s tv announcer. First published in 1959, this book is chock full of sound advice for the young gentleman looking to get ahead, acquire the secrets of success, make more money for his family, think like a leader, etc. etc. Where are the women? Why, they're at home, of course, cooking and cleaning and raising those children.

Each chapter is an examination of a different successories-style motivational lecture: Believe You Ca
Deepthi Shashidhar
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-help
Who wants to be more succesful in their lives???

Who feels like they can do better but don't know how to do it???

C'mon, people... just read it...

It's a must read book, and trust me when I say it's going to help you...
It helped me a lot
Nigham
Mar 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
First published in 1959, The Magic of Thinking Big is one of the most influential self-help books of all-times. The writer provides schemes and strategies for visualizing yourself achieving your goals.
Things I have learned from this book:

♦ To "think confidently, act confidently" practice the following exercises:

1. Be a front seater
2. Practice making eye contact
3. Walk 25 percent faster
4. Practice speaking up
5. Smile Big

♦ "There’s nothing magical nor mystical about the power of belief.
Beli
Russell
Feb 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The Chicago Tribune asked all the local primary candidates what their favorite book was. Of course, the liberal wonks put in stuff by Lincoln or Locke. The right wingers were typically imaginative in their selection of "The Bible." The tea party candidate, Adam Andrejewski, chose this book which intrigued me. Also, his choice for "the book you would take on a desert island" was "How to survive on a desert island." So, I liked the cut of his jib.

I'm a fan of self-improvement books and this one pr
David Garza
Oct 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Third time through. It's amazing how a person's thinking is always in the process of becoming small and marginalizing itself. This is a must read for anyone wanting to increase their thinking and pull the weeds out of their life.

[The second time reading this book was very helpful. It's amazing what you can forget and need to be reminded of. I absolutely love the final 2-3 pages. A great summary of what it takes to be successful in any endeavor.]

[This book is just what the doctor ordered. When yo
Douglas
Mar 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-improvement
This was a top book in four hour workweek and the title seems relevant to my career trajectory.

I just picked this book up again. The first 200 pages were ok, but the last 100 were solid. Its a lot about setting goals, taking action and dreaming big. Some really great comments about how to react to adversity and stay focused on your goal.

A worthwhile read.
Siti Latifah maharani
Jun 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: motivasi
ayoo kita berpikir besar,, karena segala sesuatu berasal dari pikiran kita.. Kenapa harus takut berpikir besar... kita UNLIMITED looo,,,jadi manfaatkan untuk berpikir lebih,,lebih dan lebih...
Pikiran kita milik kita sendiri!! jangan menyamakannya dengan orang lain..:D
  • Personality Plus: How to Understand Others by Understanding Yourself
  • Resolved: 13 Resolutions for LIFE
  • How to Have Confidence and Power in Dealing with People
  • The Ant and the Elephant: Leadership for the Self: A Parable and 5-Step Action Plan to Transform Workplace Performance
  • Launching a Leadership Revolution: Mastering the Five Levels of Influence
  • Bringing Out the Best in People: How to Enjoy Helping Others Excel
  • Master-Key to Riches
  • See You at the Top
  • The Psychology of Winning
  • Less Is More: An Anthology of Ancient  Modern Voices Raised in Praise of Simplicity
  • The Slight Edge
  • The Go-Getter (a Story That Tells You How to Be One)
David Joseph Schwartz PhD (March 23, 1927 – December 6, 1987) was an American motivational writer and coach, best known for authoring The Magic of Thinking Big in 1959.

He was a professor at Georgia State University and also began his own work as a self-help coach and life strategist. Later, he founded his own consultancy firm focusing on leadership development called 'Creative Educational Services
“Believe it can be done. When you believe something can be done, really believe, your mind will find the ways to do it. Believing a solution paves the way to solution.” 134 likes
“The mind is what the mind is fed.” 90 likes