Start by marking “Shadows of Yesterday” as Want to Read:
Shadows of Yesterday

Shadows of Yesterday

LEIGH . . . She was terrifyingly alone on a Texas highway about to deliver her first child when a rugged stranger in a pickup truck stopped to help her. Leigh Bransom had lost her husband eight months before when he was tragically killed on the job. This fateful meeting on a lonesome highway brought a handsome, new man into her life...yet he was a man with secrets and the ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 233 pages
Published 2001 by Warner Books (first published February 1st 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Shadows of Yesterday, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadows of Yesterday

♥Sharon♥
Feb 04, 2015 rated it liked it
2.5 – 3 Stars

Well, I am not sure what to say about this one so I will keep it short.

Sandra Brown is one of my favorite authors and of all the books I have read by her they have been 4 or 5 star ratings.

Shadows of Yesterday was just a ho-hum read for me. Nothing got me excited but maybe that is because the book was written over 30 years ago. Honestly, when I started reading it I didn’t realize that. I probably wouldn’t have been tempted to start it.

There was a bit of

photo f33162ec-764c-4e43-9533-dd91e48c6563_zpsqnpanlig.jpg

And a lot of

photo tumblr_mfv011dkLc1rrb2y0o1_400_zpshuriep8q.gif

And then there
Mo
Feb 04, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is hard to believe that this is the same author that wrote such great books as The Witness, Mean Streak, Lethal, The Alibi - OK, it 32 years old and yes it felt like it was... very dated.... an enjoyable enough read but not a patch on her newer books.

I feel I have read all her GOOD books at this stage... I want another author like her ....

Not sure if it would even make the 3 star mark but it is SB ....
CC
Sep 16, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I thought the biggest issues I would have with this book would have been the dated writing (it is 30 years old) or the dead exes (a troupe I do not like). Yes - heroine was a bit of a prude and dressed and spoke funny. Totally not 1980s style or atmosphere. Maybe 1950s? But whatever. She was thrilled about the Linx coat. Ok I can deal. But no real fur people!!!! Shearling is plenty warm! The dead exes were handled in a way that I could handle and I appreciated that.

So why did this book get 2 sta
Genevieve
Sep 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
Another steamy romance novel. I can't seem to get enough of these kinds of stories. This one is neat. Starts off with the lead character delivering her baby on the side of the road.
Ashley
Not much too analyze here, because this book is meant to be quickly read and enjoyed. Sexy, tender Chad finds sweet, persevering Leigh on the side of the road and in labor. He delivers her baby in the back of his truck and they eventually fall in love. All fun stuff.

I read this in a day and it was a nice diversion. The exciting stuff starts up right away, and the pace of the story and conflicts after that is quick. The lovemaking scenes are fast, fervent, and frequent. (My only complaint being t
Judy Churchill
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a quick read. It was a nice story but not much plot or action. As always, Sandra Brown knows how to tell a story.
JoAnn
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Such a sweet short read!
Rachel
Overall rating: 4 stars!

Triggers:
Cheating: (view spoiler)
Love triangle: (view spoiler)
Sex with om/ow: (view spoiler)
Intimate Pasts: (view spoiler)
Isabel
Jan 14, 2017 rated it liked it
There is nothing romantic about giving birth in the back of a parked pickup on a highway, with a dirty stranger acting as the midwife. So when they started gushing over how they fell in love with each other on that highway, I lost what little interest I had left for this book. But when everyone stopped acting so cliched, the people weren't that bad and the plot was rather good, I just couldn't get into story. So one star for Sarah, one for Chad and a half for Leigh for having the guts to try to ...more
Elizabeth
Feb 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won this book on Goodreads. It was a very touching story of two people who had lost loved and found it again in each other and the child they helped bring into the world. It is an emotional story with an inspirational ending, that not all love is lost and new love should be cherished.
Mihaela
Jan 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
A sweet love story :) 3.5 stars from me.
The Book Worm
Mar 08, 2018 rated it liked it
For such an early book by Sandra Brown, Shadows of Yesterday isn't that bad. The plot is fairly streamlined, and the characters could be a bit more developed. Leigh, in particular, behaves like a very silly girl sometimes - right from when she decides to drive on a deserted motorway during the Texas summer while in labor, until the part where she deals that ugly "you don't love me enough" card.
Still, it's a very quick read, with a simple plot and a happily ever after - and sometimes that's all w
Norene Perdue
Not the best book by this author

If I were a woman I would most likely give the book a better review. I had already read The Witness,which was one of the best, most hair-raising suspense Chronicles I,d ever enjoyed, and I, frankly, expected much more than was provided. As far as I could determine this was nothing more than a treatise about all the nuances of the sex act with an occasional predictable story line.
Noor Altiti
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
I'm a big fan of Sandra Brown and her novels. This book started off good but then I became super irritated with the main female character who somehow seemed to get weaker, dependant, and plain dumb in some instances as the story went on. It's not one of her strong books and maybe not worth the read. Still a big fan of hers though.
Chris
Mar 24, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to the audio version in the car which is the only reason I stuck through to the end.
The readers voice did not work for me when she read Chad's lines.
I also did not like the constant wining by Leigh over and over and over again about how she and Chad just wold not work...and, of course, in the end they did.

Ellen
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
What happens when you go into labor, by yourself, on a desolate stretch of road? Should you trust the seemingly kind stranger? In great Sandra Brown style, a great mixture of secrets revealed, suspense, and a building romance. Great story, easy to read. Wonderful characters.
Pat
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
YUM

Ms. Brown is my favorite author to read into the wee hours & forget I’m supposed to be asleep! She’s magic. Who else can turn a baby born in the back of a pickup truck into a riveting love story?!
Jeanetta Johnson
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great story...

I'm just a sucker for a good love story. Brings both tears of joy and jealousy during the challenges and the overcoming love that makes it a happy ending.
Virna
May 25, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is all about graphic detailed sex. Predictable storyline and boring.
Sandy Forman-Johnson
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
excellent as usual for this author
Cynthia Harris
Aug 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Wow, nothing like Lethal - which was a fabulous story. This reads like a soppy Mills & Boon from beginning to end.
Sue Rubin
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The story line of this was so bizarre, it was really interesting, and a really good read!
Reed Johnson
Feb 12, 2018 rated it did not like it
More of a harlquin romance.
Barbara
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great!!

I totally love reading Sandra Brown's novels and this was no exception. This was very good reading and keeps you in suspense to the very last page.
Janet
Sep 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
This month’s TBR Challenge is Westerns. I like westerns, especially western historicals, and because I do, I don’t usually have any on my TBR. But I collect/buy/acquire Sandra Brown whenever I go to my local library used book store, often re-buying and re-reading the same titles. Shadows of Yesterday, formerly published as Relentless Desire (and that information is right on the cover!) fits my definition of a contemporary western, allowing me to tick off some of my categories: setting, Texas; he ...more
Carol  MacInnis
Feb 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I won this book from a contest on Goodreads.

Leigh Bransom is a beautiful young widow who is eight and a half months pregnant and is having contractions in her car on the side of a deserted highway on her way home from a friend's wedding. When she sees a dilapitated old pick-up truck stop, she is relieved but apprehensive at the sight of the tall dark handsome well defined muscled man shabbily dressed in filthy greased- covered clothes and mud packed cowboy boots. When he smiles at Leigh, Chad Di
Lovetoread
May 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-books
I enjoyed Shadows of Yesterday by Sandra Brown.

this story opens with our heroine, Leigh Bransom, a widow who lost her husband, an ATF Officer, 8 months ago on the job. She is terrified and alone on a Texas highway about to deliver her first child, 2 weeks early, when a rugged stranger in a pickup truck stopped to help her. This fateful meeting on a lonesome highway brought a handsome, new man into her life...yet Chad was a man with secrets and the power to break her heart again. He was part of
Gjbates
Vannessa Anderson
Leigh meets Chad on a deserted highway. Chad, seeing a car with a lone woman in it stops only to find she is about to give birth. After helping Leigh give birth to Sara, he drives her to the hospital. Chad falls in love with Leigh at first sight and Leigh, not realizing it, falls in love with Chad at first sight. Leigh’s first husband, Sara’s dad who was a police officer was murdered while on the job. Leigh was determined not to love Chad because his job was just as dangerous as her dead husband ...more
Kristen
In Sandra Brown's Shadows of Yesterday, she told us an amazing heart-wrenching and heart-breaking new love story in this classic romance. For Leigh Bransom, she was a pregnant widow who was about to give birth to her first child at the side of the highway. That's when Chad, a rugged trucker, stopped by to help her. This fateful encounter had brought a new man into her life, yet he was a man of secrets and could break her heart again. For Chad, he perused a dangerous business and kept his mysteri ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Eloquent Silence
  • The Thrill of Victory
  • The Silken Web
  • Where There Is Evil
  • The Divorce Party (The Delicious De Campos, #1)
  • Men of the West: Harden / Evan / Donavan
  • Tempted by His Target

Sandra Brown is the author of more than sixty New York Times bestsellers, including STING (2016), FRICTION (2015), MEAN STREAK (2014), DEADLINE(2013), & LOW PRESSURE (2012), LETHAL (2011).

Brown began her writing career in 1981 and since then has published over seventy
“Would you like to hold her?” Leigh asked him. “Do you think she’ll let me?” “I certainly think she should, since you were the first one who ever held her.” “Hey, I was, wasn’t I?” For a moment their eyes locked over Sarah’s head. Leigh realized they were both remembering when it was only the two of them on a deserted highway, on a scorching August day, when he had stopped to help her. Leigh remembered Chad’s kindness, his sensitivity, and thought how glad she was to see him again. The poignant moment drew out uncomfortably long. Leigh broke their mutual fixation first and extended Sarah to his waiting” 1 likes