Start by marking “One Beastly Beast” as Want to Read:
One Beastly Beast

One Beastly Beast

3.49  ·  Rating details ·  191 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
One beastly beast that's more than meets the eye.

Two aliens with slimy tentacles and too many eyes fixed on adopting a human son.

Three inventors and a sea serpent, a princess, an orphanage, and two ships full of pirates.

Four fantastic tales by renowned fantasy author Garth Nix.
Published August 25th 2009 by HarperTeen (first published April 2nd 2007)

To ask other readers questions about One Beastly Beast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Beastly Beast

melissa lang
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
great stories.these stories are great for people and kids to read.
Mckinley
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, fantasy, short-story
Collection of stories. Not really my thing but well done.
Sarah Newman
May 14, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
I'm definitely not the target audience for this, and I wasn't a fan of the first story, but I enjoyed the other three :)
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Mechele R. Dillard for TeensReadToo.com

Fantasy writer Garth Nix has created a short story collection for the younger set. Exploring the underworld of rat pirates; adoptions of Earthlings by odd, tentacled aliens; a princess literally searching the belly of the beast; and a brainiac solving the dilemmas of a kindhearted sea serpent, Nix introduces young readers to the possibilities of the imagination between the covers of a book.

ONE BEASTLY BEAST is an excellent choice for the reluct
Tamra
Jun 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents and their children
Aww! So cute.

4 completely disconnected stories. They're fun and light and fast. It took me until mid-way through story three to figure out why this story telling format was familiar. These are bedtime stories!

So I started reading them to my children (ages 9, 7, and 5). I briefly described the 4 stories (talking pirate rats who steal some DVDS (clever, no? pirating DVDS? ... I thought it was clever), an inventor child who almost becomes adopted by aliens, a princess who has a run-in with a beastl
Mandy
Jun 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. I've been a fan of Garth Nix since I was in middle school, and while this book is geared more for younger readers than for his usual crowd of teenagers and adults, I still loved it. I've always had a soft spot for those tales that don't take themselves too seriously, which immediately endeared these stories to me. Conclusion: excellent short stories which, at 17, I am still not too old for.
Feb 12, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book happened to be next to Lord Sunday on the shelf at my library, so I picked it up for fun. What a treat! There are four short stories in the book, and they are full of silliness. My favorite by far is the first, "Blackbread" (no, I didn't misspell that). I was reading this while in the waiting area of a car dealership, so I didn't laugh right out loud, but had I been home, I would have. Delightful!
Carissa
Apr 28, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile
short stories with funny little spot illustrations. i usually am not tempted to purchase short story collections for the library because they don’t get checked out, but with an author as big as this one… and the stories are pretty funny. i especially like the first story about rats who are pirates and steal dvd’s.
Susan
May 13, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Big fun in small doses are provided in this collection of four short stories of high interest reading by Garth Nix who is well known as a writer of "deathly" tales for teens involving necromancers like Sabriel.

The first story involves pirate rats, a boy and a journey through a sewer to save the day.
Alison
Oct 25, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm trying to read one children's book per week, and this was the first. Maybe that was a mistake, because it will be a hard act to follow. Hilarious! Fun! Unexpected! My favorite story was the one about Princess Chlorinda, but I also loved the DVD-stealing pirates. Ha! Get it! Piracy! The illustrations also rocked.
Stephen  Alff (AlffBooks)
I picked this book up because there is not a book by this author that I have disliked to this date. And I was again presented with a great book by Garth Nix! These fun short stories made me smile. They were most definitely for a much younger age group but if you are looking for a light read or a book to read to your small children, this is one I would recommend!
Patrick
I thought this would be better. In general, I think the stories are too long for the kids who would appreciate the humor and too silly for those who can easily read this. That's not to say that there aren't good bits with funny ideas and one-liners. It just never came together for me and ends on a boring note with the know-it-all girl that just caps off everything as so-so.
Amanda Northrup
Mar 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Who knew Garth Nix can write funny middle grade stories?! Fun, simple, and creative, these fantasy short stories will play well with the grades 3-5 crowd. An excellent addition to any classroom library, especially since books of short stories for this age group can be hard to come by.
Wilde Sky
Four stories aimed at children.

Of the four stories the best were ‘Blackbread the Pirate’ and ‘The Princess and the Beastly Beast’. None of the stories were too taxing and some of the illustrations were very good.
Roger
Nov 25, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Four short stories aimed at younger children and certainly much more lightweight and humorous than Nix's other work. Loved the illustrations, but the stories were just ok. I don't think Paul Stewart and Chris Riddell have much to worry about. Next up, Sir Hereward and Mister Fitz.
Amy Brown
Apr 18, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4th-6thgrade, fantasy
Four short stories that are funny and fantastical. Although not mentioned in the title, there's a pirate story as well.
Jeanna
Jul 19, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-books
Not as quirky and random as I had hoped, but still relatively enjoyable, especially for a younger child.
Lynette
Oct 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this out loud to Steve, a couple chapters at a time before bed.

OH MY GOD IT WAS SO FUNNY. WE LOVED IT.
Elizabeth
A set of cute short stories about kids having adventures.
Penny Ramirez
These were fun stories. I think we all especially enjoyed the narrator's Aussie accent. Good to listen to as we drove through the mountains.
Ben
Jul 27, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A few fun short stories that hold true to the unique creative style of Garth Nix -- an author who has created some of the most creative fictional worlds I've been exposed to.
Jessica
Jun 21, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened-to, humor, 4-5, 5-6
Great for reluctant readers. Even though the story is not quite the same I think Diary of a Wimpy Kid and Captain Underpants readers would enjoy this as well.
Kathy (Kindle-aholic)
Read it aloud to the kiddos. 4 short stories. Fantastical shorts sets in the real world.
Colleenish
These four stories were zany and fun!
amber
Apr 04, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
How can some of what Garth Nix writes be so awesome and some just be so shrug worthy?
Steven Kent
Four light, happy, non-world-shaking short stories meant for the upper elementary school crowd. No lasting value here, but pleasant and humorous. Nix is one of the best YA writers out these days.
Kate
Jan 17, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Four cute stories by Garth Nix (written for a much younger group than his other books).
Roxanne Hsu Feldman
light, and amusing at times
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Between Two Ends
  • The Outlandish Adventures of Liberty Aimes
  • Betti on the High Wire
  • Space Case (Moon Base Alpha #1)
  • The Monkey Goes Bananas
  • Snake and Lizard
  • Aviary Wonders Inc. Spring Catalog and Instruction Manual
  • Summer at Forsaken Lake
  • Blue Jasmine
  • The Terrible Two (The Terrible Two, #1)
  • The Gold-Threaded Dress
  • The Legend of Captain Crow's Teeth
  • The Secret Knowledge of Grown-ups
Garth Nix was born in 1963 in Melbourne, Australia, to the sound of the Salvation Army band outside playing 'Hail the Conquering Hero Comes' or possibly 'Roll Out the Barrel'. Garth left Melbourne at an early age for Canberra (the federal capital) and stayed there till he was nineteen, when he left to drive around the UK in a beat-up Austin with a boot full of books and a Silver-Reed typewriter.

De