Start by marking “El hombre equivocado” as Want to Read:
El hombre equivocado

El hombre equivocado

Scott Freeman is a man of reasona college professor grounded in the rational and practical. But he becomes uneasy after finding an anonymous love letter hidden in his daughters room: No one could ever love you like I do. No one ever will. We will be together forever. One way or another. But the reality of Ashleys plight far exceeds Scotts worst suspicions. One drink too ma ...more
Published July 2009 by Ediciones B (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about El hombre equivocado, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about El hombre equivocado

Start your review of El hombre equivocado
Carol
Feb 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
The Hook - Happenstance – Hard to believe but I was caught away from my bookshelves and had nothing to read. A visit to the Orlando Friends of the Library Book Store uncovered this thriller by an author I had never read. What started as chance turned out to be the perfect book for my mood.

The Line“Dying” “She said finally”, is such a simple act. But you need to learn that all the moments leading up to it and all the minutes afterwards, are terribly complicated.”

The Sinker”When Scott Freem
Denisa Arsene
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
I really enjoyed this thriller. Although I didn't agree with the solution... But the plot, the characters, the story, all of them are good and realistic.
It keeps you prisoner, wondering how things could go out of control in such a manner. How and why people should find answers by themselves, why police can't help.
I liked it so much! A good one!
Kelly
Nov 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, favorites
Wow... this book was really one heck of a ride!! Filled with suspense and uncertainty from the first page to the very last, I could barely force myself to put it down along the way. The story centers around a man's relentless stalking of college student Ashley Freeman after they have a drunken one-night-stand. While Ashley considers the whole event a meaningless "mistake", Michael is convinced they are meant to be together forever, no matter what it takes. A typical stalker's obsession develops, ...more
Emily
Jun 22, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Pg 91:
The passages at the end of each chapter between 2 nameless characters who don't seem to be any of the main characters are kind of annoying. Right now I feel like they aren't adding anything and are just slowing me down.

Finished:
The book might have been creepier if it had focused more on the family than on the bad guy. It's kind of hard to develop tension or terror when you have to read his every inane thought, even if there's no reason or explanation for them. I would have preferred a mor
Joe
Feb 03, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
BIG STUMBLE

Katzenbach's books have evolved from mysteries/police procedurals to psychological thrillers. Hart's War is probably his best known work which was made into a movie with Bruce Willis and Brad Pitt. I have read most of this author's books and have enjoyed them, although with each subsequent book the author has dealt more with the psychological aspect of his characters as opposed to the thriller part. The Wrong Man is all that - and thus is the wrong book.

The story-line in this book tac
Bandit
Oct 10, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If I didn't know that Wrong Man was written by the same author as The Madman's Tale, I probably wouldn't have guessed it, which isn't optimal since I picked up this book specifically because of how much I enjoyed The Madman's Tale. And so this review is if not biased per se, than certainly subjective as compared to author's other work. Objectively...both books are undeniably psychological thrillers, both are immensely readable, both are long, both have very strong sustained suspense throughout. ...more
Lindsay Miraglia
Sep 12, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not even halfway done with this book and already I'm struggling to finish it. The characters do not feel believable at all. I mean, what in the world made the author think anybody WOULD PAY A STALKER TO STOP STALKING? How does that make any sense whatsoever? YOU CAN'T BRIBE A STALKER. And the narrator being a writer researching the story of Ashley and her stalker feels more like someone lecturing on the dangers of stalkers. Which is in no way an appealing way of storytelling.

"When has the au
Skye
Jan 24, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I read an old glowing review of this book in a newspaper and I am impatiently waiting for Carolyn Kepnes' new book, so I thought I'd give this a try. This was just....awful. So little character development for the people who mattered, pages and pages of horrifically boring inner dialogue of characters that you are given no reason to care about. The relationship between the stalker and the victim was virtually nonexistent- making the "suspense" evaporate very quickly. The bad guy was apparently a ...more
JoAnn/QuAppelle
This book could have been edited by about 100 pages. It just rambled on and on and on. Too long and too much.

Okay, so let's assume that the stalking laws do not work and what these characters tried to put into motion was the only way to deal with O'Connell. What a bunch of bumblers. No one checked the gun to see if it was ready to fire. No one thought of the fact that perhaps after they framed O'Connell he might get off on an insanity plea. Oy vey. And there were a LOT of inconsistencies in this
Kim
May 03, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Let me just start out by saying I hate cruelty to animals in reading books. I absolutely hate it. While this book was definitely suspenseful, the psycho stalker would've been just as psycho if he had not put cats in Ziploc bags and then put them in his freezer. Or killed Nameless. A little disappointing in my opinion.
Koray Geziciler
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
6/5. Yes! Six stars out of damn five.
The characters, the plot and the ending. Everything's checked.

''Hello, Ashley. I've missed you more than you can imagine. But soon we will be together forever, and that will be great.
I love you more today than yesterday. And tomorrow I will love you even more...
Forever yours,
Michael

How come such beautiful words could ever give you so much chills... Damn.
If you are interested in reading psychological thrillers, this one is definitely your kind of treat.

As
William
Mar 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OK..I am officially skittish about writing a review of a book in the thriller genre. It seems that what thrills one may not thrill another and that while sex and violence sells its a turn on for some and less so for others. That said there is some but remarkably little overt sex and violence in this book. This is a book about mind games and what rational people will do in irrational situations. Its about coincidences and what happens when a truly smart but demented character manipulates those ci ...more
LJ
THE WRONG MAN (Suspense-New England-Cont) – DNF
Katzenbach, John – Standalone
Ballantine Books, 2006, US Hardcover – ISBN: 0345464834

First Sentence: Would you like to hear a story?

Divorced professor Scott Freeman finds a crumpled note in the back of his college daughter’s dresser drawer that makes him very uncomfortable. Although his daughter, Ashley, has not said anything to him, his ex-wife or her partner, perceives a tone of threat and possession in the note. From that, begins a story of what a
Kathrin
Mar 04, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-fiction
17% into this book:
* At the end of each chapter is a perspective change to an investigating author researching the case. Right now I can't see the value add to the story.
* The victim acts like the actors in that insurance commercial "let's hide behind the wall of chain saws"... it's very irritating.

35% into the book:
* it's frustrating that the main characters don't communicate
* thinking about giving up on this book

66% into the book
* I no longer think about giving up, but still not excited
* for
Erin
Sep 14, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense, favorites
This was an AWESOME suspense book, and sure to turn anybody off of a one night stand. A college girl has too many drinks and sleeps with the wrong guy. When he starts stalking her, he makes life difficult for anybody who tries to protect her. This book kept me blue from holding my breath from beginning to end.
Paulo
Sep 28, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dropped
Just another book from Katzenbach that I had stop reading at the middle and say 'Ok, enough... enough of this crap'.
The only book I really like from him is The Analyst, the rest are just boring and predictable and when they're not predictable is just because you couldn't possibly know how bad they were going to be.
Misstae
May 18, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
the book started out real good, very intense and attention grabbing.. then it kept dragging on.. and on and on. after a while, i got kinda bored with it and when i finally did make it to the ending it was rather disappointing. i wont be in any rush to read another book from this author.
Ho11man
Liked the idea, but the book felt too long for my taste, sometimes even boring!, this could be edited in 100 pages easily, I would have loved if we could’ve seen the story from the family perspective only and just read about Michael O’Connell as the horror he inflicted upon them, Like when watching a movie, the monster/villian stops being scary when you start explaining everything he does. Not a big fan of the ending either.
Debbie
Aug 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

As I was reading this book, it started to become more and more familiar to me, then I realized that I had read it before...don't remember when and I couldn't remember the ending, so I finished it. Towards the end, though, I was getting bored and wanted to finish it so I could start a new book. To me, not a believable conclusion.
Lisa
May 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one of those books you can't put down. You want to know just what is about to happen. The principle characters hatch a plan, but you don't know what is going to happen until the last 75 pages At times you just want it to happen without having The Writer interjected. This was the only problem I had with this book toward the end.
Diane
Jun 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5. It would have been 5 stars but it was way too long. It lost it's taught pace a few times IMO.

However, i still recommend it. It has a Patricia Highsmith feel and reminds be of Cape Fear and a little of Last House on the Left. The latter because of what the parents do to protect their daughter.
Charlotte  Ann
Jul 30, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
I've read a lot of Katzenbach books and this is not his best, but still I couldn't stop reading, lol.

I felt the the story in general was slow in some parts and just the last 50 pages kept me completely suspense. Though, I liked how at the end of each chapter we have two persons talking about the story and whose identity is unknown to us.
Luis González Enríquez
Aug 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was awesome ! I have read all books of Katzenbach and this was the last one and I loved ! It keeps you on suspense during the history and you can´t stop since you start. I think that the final of the book was very quckly and simple but with a great idea, so i´d love a book that continues whit the history, it will be amaizing.
Agustina
Jul 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing thriller. Instead of following a police officer we follow a family trying to get rid of a stalker. The way Jhon describes the caracthers is wonderful.
An incredible mistery that will keep you at the edge of the seat everytime.
Greg
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
another good book.. really makes you think
Arina Duggins
Oct 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a bad one, I really want to see a movie made out of it.
Arnita Beinaroviča
Creepy. That`s it. ...more
Vicki
Jul 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book! Very suspenseful- hard to put the book down.
Ana Guerraa
May 26, 2020 rated it it was ok
Started good but then I think the author goes rolling and rolling. I would preferred the reading a bit faster. Overall is okay.
Wasn't a big fan of the ending though.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Das Joshua-Profil
  • Los Padecientes
  • Catedrales
  • Scorpio City
  • Der Seelenbrecher
  • Die Therapie
  • Palabras cruzadas
  • Encuentros (El lado B del amor)
  • Elena sabe
  • Et on tuera tous les affreux (Vernon Sullivan, #3)
  • Las dos muertes (Mundo Umbrío, #1)
  • El túnel
  • Rosaura a las diez
  • Amnesia
  • Vampyr
  • The Bermuda Triangle
  • The Fortunate Pilgrim
  • Noah
John Katzenbach is a U.S. author of popular fiction. Son of Nicholas Katzenbach, former United States Attorney General, John worked as a criminal court reporter for the Miami Herald and Miami News, and a featured writer for the Herald’s Tropic magazine. He is married to Madeleine Blais and they live in western Massachusetts.

He left the newspaper grind to write books, racking up 12 novels so far, p

News & Interviews

“-A veces lo que mas me asusta no es lo desconocido, sino lo previsible y comprensible.” 12 likes
“¿Por qué resulta tan difícil comprender lo poderosa que es la capacidad de negación que tenemos todos? ¡Nunca queremos creer lo peor!” 8 likes