Start by marking “The Little Book of Answers” as Want to Read:
The Little Book of Answers

The Little Book of Answers

Have you ever wondered why... we say, "I hear it thought the grape vine"? golf assistants are called "caddies"? there is a best man at weddings? a leg injury is called a "Charlie horse"? the British drive o the left and North American on the right? a coward is "yellow"? brides are carried over the threshold? a formal suit is a "tuxedo"? a lefthander is called a "southpaw"?
Published August 21st 2009 by MJF Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Little Book of Answers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Little Book of Answers

Bridget Maguire-Colton
Fast read, but not entirely accurate. As it was written in 2003, I feel some of the research must have been lacking. There are at least two instances, where the answers are flat-out wrong.
Cheryl Gatling
This is a fun little book. The tidbits of information are bite-sized, each question and answer a single paragraph. I learned a number of things that I shared with my friends. "Did you know...?" There was only one problem with it. The answers weren't always correct. I looked up some of them on other sources, and found different, or more complex, answers. So this book may not give you the definitive answer to the questions inside it, but it will give you one of the popular explanations floating ar ...more
Matt Gwynn
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a really fun read! I love random facts and trivia, but I rarely read entire books about them. However, this one pleasantly surprised me and was a lot of fun!
Candy
Jan 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
Very interesting tidbits.
Katherine
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun, coffee table/bathroom book of trivia - lots of little facts and stories about terminology that is still currently in use - great gift or conversation starter
Shawn
Mar 14, 2017 rated it liked it
This has some interesting tidbits.
Andy Polizzi
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fun book of facts, enjoy!
Sande
Jun 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Charming. The title didn't quite match the read, because it's really about the origin of well-understood words and expressions. I've read similar collections, and instead of really enjoying half or two thirds, I was engaged on every single entry. Some of my favorites: the origin of croissants or crescent rolls, why prostitutes are called hookers, what we mean by saying "put a sock in it." I was given this book at the ten-year celebration of our local book group.
Karen
Jul 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A fascinating and fun little book on the origins of sayings/expressions. Really enjoyed reading this, it was recommended by one of my sons, he kept reading outtakes to me and I got intrigued. If you've ever wondered where the expression honeymoon came from or how the ship speed in knots is determined this is the book for you.
Beth
Dec 24, 2013 added it
Shelves: adult, non-fiction
The origins of a trophy is disturbing and back to ancient Greece were the dead soldiers parts hung from a tree. As for Rudolph the Red nosed reindeer he could have bee Rollo or Reginald. Not having a clew would be lost without a ball of string. IV schools is still my favorite fact. This book is usually displayed at my family's coffee table this time of year.
Eric
Dec 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Eric by: Julie Laney
This was a short and enjoyable book that I received as a Christmas present. It provided short, but thorough explanations of some of those little "hmmm" moments of life. Definitely not an academic work, I recommend it to anyone who enjoys language and its origins and sociology.
Patricia Baker
Oct 03, 2013 rated it liked it
i liked this little book with many tidbits of random information. would be a great book to put in the bathroom to read when you just want to read something without linking it together. great pick up and put down book. liked the different chapters. something for everyone.
Marcie
Feb 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Do you need some cocktail party conversation? This charming book will provide you with loads of discussion starters. It's full of bite-sized factoids that you can read over time and is interesting to all ages. Lovely.
Andrea
Dec 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is a very short, sweet, and informative book about questions you may have had and questions you never thought of. It really makes you stop and think about the English language. It's a very curious little book.
Randell Green 🇬🇧
5.5.16 - 11.17.16
Jacqueline
Jun 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful little book of fascinating factoids. Very interesting! Great for history buffs and trivia lovers.
Roxann Souci
Oct 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
I am a total sucker for books like this. I just love trivia.
Karen
Apr 26, 2014 rated it liked it
I didn't finish it. Stopped halfway. This is a good bathroom book!
Benjamin
Apr 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Benjamin by: Rona Smart
Shelves: history
A great book for those, like myself, who enjoy understanding "why" and trivia.
Miguel
Feb 04, 2010 rated it liked it
Great especially the trivia
Michael
Aug 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
indeed a brilliant little book....
Margie
Jul 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Interesting collection of facts, figures, history and yes, trivia, for those of us who love to know little bits about all sorts of things. Sure to satisfy the curious-minded.
Laura Ostermeyer
Jun 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An interesting and educational book that is a quick and fun read. Perfect for any trivia buff or someone who enjoys learning the meaning behind things!
Lorna
Dec 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
The small but interesting book makes a nice "coffee table" book when you need something quick to read. I liked that the answers were all fairly short and uncomplicated. And I learned alot too.
Jude Brigley
Sep 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Fascinating read for anyone interested in how language evolved.I feel that I should have known that golf evolved from 'Gentlemen only, ladies forbidden.'
Stefania
Feb 17, 2013
BrocheAroe
Feb 17, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Doug Lennox was an internationally acclaimed broadcaster, a veteran character actor, a commercial voice artist, and a bestselling author. He has appeared in more than 60 films and television features, including X-Men, Police Academy, Lonesome Dove, and Against the Ropes, and shared screen time with Meg Ryan, Hugh Jackman, Burt Reynolds, Holly Hunter, Eric McCormack, Gary Oldman, and a myriad of ot ...more