Start by marking “Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?” as Want to Read:
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?

(Bill Martin's Bears #1)

4.20  ·  Rating details ·  134,999 ratings  ·  3,166 reviews
Board Book, 25th Anniversary Edition, 24 pages
Published September 15th 1996 by Henry Holt and Co. (first published 1967)

To ask other readers questions about Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?, please sign up.
Pam Miller The perfect book for ages 2-6 Author Bill Martin, Jr. 's words form a pattern, a rhythm for the listener and easy words for a young reader. The words…moreThe perfect book for ages 2-6 Author Bill Martin, Jr. 's words form a pattern, a rhythm for the listener and easy words for a young reader. The words form a question, so what curious child would not turn the page?
Illustrator Eric Carle presents familiar animals, children, and a mother in the story with recognizable shapes, bright, flat colors that remind me of a coloring book. The bold, but natural, illustrations are sure to be memorable to the child, as are the words.(less)

Amanda
Jan 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone with children
Shelves: picture-books
Many people may not like this book or think it is too simple a book, not really a story. I think this is a great book. My children love it. It is a perfect book for young children who are just starting to learn letters, their sounds, and words. It is also a great book for those children who may not be great readers. When I taught first grade, I had a few students who weren't able to read. Their confindence level was low and we had a really hard time finding good books that they were able to read ...more
Igolder
Jul 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Subtexts: perspective, surveillance, paranoia!

I had to read this aloud maybe a hundred nights in a row before I noticed what the text was plainly saying: everyone thinks they are being watched! And ironically, they are the ones doing the watching! From the titular brown bear who is certain that the red bird is watching him/her, each animal is watching an animal and projecting that the very animal they watch, is watching them!

In reality, none of the projected watching is happening. Each animal is
Jfk
Sep 15, 2008 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Justin Smith and chimpanzees
Recommended to Jfk by: Pilar
Terrible characterization. Blue Horse? What the heck is that!? The plot is monotonous and dull. And the ending...a montage of scenes from the book, and not even a good one! The only thing I can say in its favor is that you can probably get through it in a couple of days.
Shaina
4⭐⭐⭐⭐This is a cute and creative book. My niece likes to skip some pages and then go back, then skip and go back. She loves the tabs she gets to pull. She is learning how to wait for her queue to pull them still. Eh, she’ll get there. She’s not even 1.5 yet. :)
I love the rhymes. I like the shapes and forms of the animals, they seem solid and geometric .. easy for a child to see and identify. I also like the bright colors.
Ronyell
Bear

I have been an avid fan of Eric Carle’s works, especially of his well-known children’s book “The Very Hungry Caterpillar” and one of the books that Eric Carle had worked on that I did not get the chance to read when I was little was “Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?” which was also written by Bill Martin Jr. All in all, this was one children’s book that children should definitely check out!

Since this story is extremely short, the summary will be brief.
Basically, the plot of this book is
Jennifer Brinkmeyer
Mar 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-with-child
This is the story of a teacher so dedicated that her students simply called her Teacher. She celebrated her classroom's multi-racial, multi-ethnic diversity with an array of class pets: a brown bear, a red bird, a yellow duck, a blue horse, a green frog, a purple cat, a white dog, a black sheep, and a goldfish. Some criticize her teaching methods, citing the dangers of bears in the classroom, but I stand by her choice to lead with alliteration in spite of any potential maulings.
Miranda
Apr 05, 2008 rated it liked it
I wasn't really into this book when I was little, but this is my daughter's favorite book- so I have to give it 5 star props. Whenever we get to the black sheep, she yells out "BAAAAAA!"

Many mornings she wakes up and demands, "BOOK!" and if I don't pick this one, she yells, "Noooooooo! BOOOOK!" until I read her Brown Bear...
Shoeb Narot
Sep 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
‘Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?’ By Eric Carle.

This is another great picture book by Eric Carle. You could happily read it aloud and enjoy it with a young audience. The children have lots of opportunities to join in, as the book focuses on using rhythmic and repetitive texts throughout. The illustrations are fantastic, a combination of bright eye-catchy colours with lovely examples of tissue paper collages used to represent the animals in the story.

The book begins with the reader askin
Angie **loves angst**
Jul 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My Kindergarteners made me read this to them five times on Friday at work. Five times!!!!! By the time I was done, I could tell every word to the story without looking at the pages. Some one please save me from pushy five year olds with a penchant for rhyming books.

description
Anittah
Apr 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Bold move to not order the animals according to the ROY G BIV spectrum. Makes it slightly more challenging to memorize. I'm almost there, though.

My eleven week old daughter giggles like a maniac whenever I start reading this book to her, and she is particularly fascinated by the final page. Hence -- because of the maniacal gurgling and concurrent kicking -- five stars, although personally I found the narrative arc a bit flat.
Shirley Revill
My children loved this book when they where small. A firm favourite on my bookshelf.
Donovan
Dec 27, 2017 rated it liked it
My daughter loves this for the animals and repetition. It does well to teach color, perception, and basic animal recognition. But it honestly gives me a headache with its dull repetition and lack of rhyme use when it so easily would have improved readability.
midnightfaerie
Jun 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Definitely one our favorite books. Great illustrations and fun to say out loud. All my kids pretty much have the book memorized so much so that we recite it in the car. Easy reading, but a good book for an older sibling to read to their younger siblings and a great way to learn colors. A book the whole family loves.
Carly
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-kinder
Great classic to help kinders begin to read by "retelling" the story.
Darcy
Dec 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: baby-h-books
Mom read me this today and I am not ashamed to say I threw a big fit. Not two days ago I heard my doctor specifically tell her that I can't see colors yet, and here she is taunting me with red, yellow, purple, green, etc. etc. GEEEEEEEEEZ! -M
Jill
May 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
I read this with my children. Classic kids book! They have memorized it they love so much!
Neal Montgomery
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
A thought provoking meditation on race relations. The question we all need to ask ourselves is, what do you see?
Bam
May 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What Do You See? I see another favorite of my grandson's, with rhyming repetition and bright, colorful drawings of animals and people.
Izzy Dorrance
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book would be great for children either learning colours and animals in English or learning them in another language I.e in French or German.

There is lots of repetition throughout the book. So the only words that change on each page are colours and the animals.
Pooja
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
A fun book that made me smile ear to ear.

Laura McLoughlin
The 2 year old "reads" this one to himself and it is adorable! (Although he doesn't always get the colors right, still adorable!)
Bea  Charmed
The narration was okay; the story is good.
Robin Mcilroy
Oct 30, 2013 rated it liked it
This book is a child's fiction book that follows a rhythmic pattern throughout the story. It introduces colours and potentially new animals to children in a simple yet imaginative way. The story asks certain animals what they can see, to which they answer what they see looking at them. E.g. 'Brown Bear, brown Bear, what do you see?' ... 'I see a red bird looking at me'. This creative rhyming nature continues until the book finishes with a summary of all the animals and things that the 'children' ...more
Beth
Nov 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: brigids-books
I've been eyeing this in the book store and thought it looked neat but wasn't sure if I wanted to spend $13 on a brand new book that would just be drooled on and sat on and gnawed on and have the spine cracked while testing the physical limits on how far one can turn a page backwards.

And then great grandma sent it to us in a birthday package. Problem solved!

The first time we read this book my daughter had a reaction to every single turn of the page. She gasped, pointed and said things like, "OH!
*Dee's Reading Time Matters
May 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Truly a classic... read it to two very hyperactive boys today and it calm them immediately. I had to read it to them 6 times and I love the it as much as they did! A true classic!!!!!!!!!!!
Rossy
Jan 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
Colors, animals, rhymes, this is so lovely I want to sing!
Sylvia
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
My niece loved this counting book when she was a toddler and still enjoys it as a quick bedtime story at the age of four. It's a good way to teach basic counting, colours and some animals. The illustrations are very basic and bold. It's repetitive (which is always a hit). It's extremely simple and there's no real "story."
Sophie Moran
Nov 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good for KS1
Nancy Kotkin
A concept book that teaches both animals and colors. Very clever use of repetition, both text patterns and actual text refrains, to reinforce the concepts featured in this picture book. Incredible tissue-paper collage illustrations ensure this one is a home run and an enduring children's classic.
Westminster Library
This book has repetition, colors and vivid illustrations all things that are the building blocks for early readers.

Find Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? at the Westminster Public Library!
Banned Book Society: Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?, Spoilers (December 16- February 17) 4 15 Jun 07, 2017 08:00PM
http://healthonlinereviews.com/livana-lift/ 1 3 Jan 13, 2017 02:23AM
  • Freight Train
  • Swimmy
  • Llama Llama Mad at Mama
  • A Good Day
Bill Martin, Jr. (1916-2004) was an elementary-school principal, teacher, writer, and poet. His more than 300 books, among them the bestselling classics Brown Bear Brown Bear What Do You See; Polar Bear Polar Bear What Do You Hear; Panda Bear Panda Bear What Do You See; and Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, are a testament to his ability to speak directly to children. Martin held a doctoral degree in early ...more

Bill Martin's Bears (4 books)
  • Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear?
  • Panda Bear, Panda Bear, What Do You See?
  • Baby Bear, Baby Bear, What Do You See?