Start by marking “J. S. Le Fanu's Ghostly Tales, V3 (the Haunted Baronet (1871))” as Want to Read:
J. S. Le Fanu's Ghostly Tales, V3 (the Haunted Baronet (1871))

J. S. Le Fanu's Ghostly Tales, V3 (the Haunted Baronet (1871))

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  85 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
The Haunted Baronet.
Paperback
Published December 1st 2005 by IndyPublish.com (first published 1871)

Be the first to ask a question about J. S. Le Fanu's Ghostly Tales, V3 (the Haunted Baronet

John
Jul 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read and was none too thrilled by Le Fanu's Uncle Silas, probably his most famous novel, long enough ago that my tastes have evolved since then, so I thought I'd give another of his novels a try. My reactions are . . . mixed.

After many a long year, Sir Bale Mardykes returns to the family pile in Northumbria, bringing with him his private secretary Philip Feltram, whom he bullies relentlessly. There's bad blood between the Feltrams and the Mardykeses, because the latter family has a history of
Oscar
No cabe duda de que Le Fanu sabía contar historias. El padre de la ghost story, y autor del archiconocido relato de vampiros 'Carmilla', va suministrando las diferentes piezas que componen el misterio de 'La profecía de Cloostedd', con un pulso narrativo pocas veces igualado. Y es que no todo el mundo vale, o valía en su caso, para contar cuentos de terror. Le Fanu sugiere más que muestra, para que la imaginación del lector sea parte de la historia.

'La profecía de Cloostedd', publicada originalm
Gabriela Molina
Dec 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Haunted Baronet, como la buena literatura de horror, es una fabúla moral, que exagera la misma y termina deformandola hasta que construye la figura del monstruo. En este caso es la ambición, la codicia, la impunidad y su necesario castigo los que son eje central de este relato, eso y el símbolo del agua contenida en un lago y su silencio como motivos para la turbación de una mala conciencia.

En su mejor escena Le Fanu explora la tranquilidad y la falta de sonido mientras la mujer del baronet y s
Alejandro Perez-Prat
Gothic, gothic, very gothic.
Mary
Mar 20, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: ghost-stories
Spooky, for sure, but with so many strange loose ends and suddenly introduced perspectives. Haunting, really, because of its inadequacies as well as its intricacies.
Emmett Hoops
I began this story with no expectations. I've had a few books on my shelves with Le Fanu stories in them, but I never (to my knowledge) ever got around to reading one. Until The Haunted Baronet -- which I read as a stand-alone novel.

It is terribly Victorian, as one might expect. If you're familiar with the genre of Victorian ghost stories, this is fairly run-of-the-mill, Le Fanu's excellent descriptive writing notwithstanding. This story has a more pervasive atmosphere of dread than most similar
Javier Maldonado
Le Fanu es un maestro a la hora de construir atmósferas fantasmagóricas y describir ambientes y paisajes de la Inglaterra del siglo XIX, pero siento que acá la historia le quedó algo floja. La puntuación real sería tres estrellas y media.
Diana Long
Jun 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very entertaining creepy Victorian Gothic story which is so well written it could be a true story of the unexplained. I don't doubt that the author had a good imagination that inspired this story or had heard this tale from someone else and wrote the story, either way well worth the read.
Christina
Jan 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love a good old ghost story!
Caliban
Nov 29, 2012
Buffy Wilkinson
Jan 21, 2016
Valerie Britt
rated it did not like it
Oct 27, 2015
Nicolas Mgm
Apr 14, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »
Joseph Thomas Sheridan Le Fanu (28 August 1814 – 7 February 1873) was an Irish writer of Gothic tales and mystery novels. He was the leading ghost-story writer of the nineteenth century and was central to the development of the genre in the Victorian era. M.R. James described Le Fanu as "absolutely in the first rank as a writer of ghost stories". Three of his best-known works are Uncle Silas, Carm ...more
More about J. Sheridan Le Fanu...