Start by marking “Who I Was Supposed to Be: Short Stories” as Want to Read:
Who I Was Supposed to Be: Short Stories

Who I Was Supposed to Be: Short Stories

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  170 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Behind every face in Who I Was Supposed to Be is a singular quirk to explore, a peculiarity to celebrate. In Susan Perabo's world, nothing can be taken for granted: here, a retired grocer takes up jewel theft in his twilight years; a data processor squanders her inheritance on one of Princess Diana's gowns; a mugging victim feigns amnesia to win back his wife.

In the trad
Published July 1st 2006 by Simon Schuster (first published August 4th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Who I Was Supposed to Be, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Who I Was Supposed to Be

Elyse
Sep 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved Susan Perabo's Collection of short stories called
"Why They Run The Way They Do"....

I knew I wanted to read more by Susan. In every story I felt there was something I could relate to - Her characters feel real -- and even in the most bizarre situations- there is authenticity in her storytelling. I simply love her writing. She writes with heart. I feel it and love it!!!!

So.....while anxiously waiting to read Susan's novel "The Fall of Lisa Bellow", due out next year....

I purch
Wayne
Apr 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
Of the 10 stories in this book most are about husbands and wives, parents and children and about the discoveries we make about our loved ones secrets and what effect those discovories have on ourselves. The themes are varied and interesting and all of the stories come with a touch of sadness. There's not a bad one in the lot.
Amy Morgan
Feb 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The short stories here bring human nature smack dab into your living room with you. A book to pull off the shelf and enjoy many times over!
Julia
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was a quick read because it had many different short stories reflecting on difficult relationships/ etc. Some of them were a little stretched and were too much of a stretch to be interesting/ engaging. i.e. how to teach a dog about death.
Beth
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: shortstories
Susan Perabo is an underrated gem. If you liked this, try her newer collection and/or Bonnie Jo Campbell's short stories.
Mike
May 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Short story collections are always up and down. This had more good ones and no really bad ones.
Melissa Railey
Jul 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I had never heard of Susan Perabo before my friend bought this book (although I do imagine her as looking something like Piper Perabo). My friend bought this book at a bookstore while we were out. Of course, the first thing that happened when we got back to the car was I had to go through all her books and see what she bought. This one jumped out at me. Maybe it was the cute little dog sitting in the car. I don't know. I started reading the first short story in the collection, "Thick as Thieves" ...more
Krista
Jan 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have rarely found a short story, let alone a collection of short stories, that I understood or appreciated. But Susan Perabo has several stories that have stuck in my head for years. She reminds me a bit of Ann Tyler; her characters are quirky but real. I may have like her stories because most have an actual beginning, middle, and end, but even those that are more characters sketch are strangely compelling.
This was a book that I picked up just to have something to occupy me from one train sto
Gabby Williams
Aug 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I only recently discovered Susan Perabo after reading a short story of hers called Michael The Armadillo (I think) in the Sun magazine and thought it was such a perfect story. It was funny and heart breakingly sad at the same time and you found yourself sympathising with both the husband and wife characters. I was over the moon to discover that not only had she written a book but a collection of short stories (I love short stories and it's hard to find good collections.)
Edward Burton
Feb 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Susan Perabo has an uncanny ability to jump into anybody's skin and breathe life into it as if it were her own. This collection of short stories is about people from all walks of life dealing with every human condition. No one story stood out, they were all brilliantly written. I purchased another Susan Perabo book, a novel, before I even got to the end of this. That proves she made quite an impression on me.
Liz
Jan 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
I loved these stories. In a way, the characters seem outside of reality, too outrageous in some way. Yet there is something about the way these stories are constructed -- something about the way in which Perabo allows the reader to catch a glimpse of such private moments -- that makes the reader begin to think that maybe everyone is a little crazy...that maybe these characters aren't so outrageous after all.
Tracy
Aug 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite collection of short stories. I can't wait to sit down and re-read from page one. It's been some time since I read the book, but I always hope that I find a collection that makes me feel the way I felt while reading Perabo's collection.
Cindy
Jun 15, 2008 rated it liked it
I felt like I was observing these characters in real life as I read these short stories! These short stories are snapshots into the days of ordinary people in ordinary or extraordinary circumstances. I'm not usually a fan of short stories but this one is a good one!
Alex Bates
Jan 14, 2009 is currently reading it
great short stories, a form I particularly enjoy. I really liked "explaining death to the dog." I'm about half way through it.
Patricia Geller
May 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Stories are uneven but she is a good writer.
abby
Aug 31, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A few truly good stories and some mediocre ones -- felt really "MFA in fiction writing" to me. overall, pretty enjoyable.
Jonathan
Nov 21, 2009 added it
Shelves: fiction
None
JLib
Sep 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Great, easy-reading. It gave just enough to establish a foundation, and creatively left off to allow for imaginations to take off in the end.
Blogbaas Van 'tVliegend Eiland
8,5/10
Tommy
Feb 01, 2008 marked it as read_me_piles  ·  review of another edition
Signed and inscribed 1st ed / 2nd printing
Phylicia
Dec 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I've only read "Counting the ways" in school.
It's one of those short stories in a textbook.

I totally enjoyed it.
I can't say why though.
Alison
Dec 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this collection of short stories. One seemed out of place, but they were all entertaining and the writing style left me curious about what would happen next.
Amy Wilks
Jun 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
I'm doing the adult summer reading club at our library, and this was on one of the recommended lists. Very interesting set of short stories. Lots of food for thought.
Chana
Jan 20, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: short-stories
Short stories darkly twisted, depressing and unfinished.
Jo
Dec 15, 2014
Bob
Nov 26, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • Years of Victory 1802-1812
  • Reflections on a Gift of Watermelon Pickle
  • Extremities: Stories of Death, Murder, and Revenge
  • The Exquisite Corpse Adventure
  • Novels and Stories
Susan Perabo's novel, "The Fall of Lisa Bellow," will be released March 14, 2017. Perabo is also the author of two collections of short stories, "Why They Run the Way They Do" and "Who I Was Supposed to Be," and the novel, "The Broken Places." Her fiction has been anthologized in "Best American Short Stories," "Pushcart Prize Stories," and "New Stories from the South," and has appeared in numerous ...more
More about Susan Perabo...

Fiction Deals

• A House for Happy Mothers
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
  • The Lace Makers of Glenmara
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Quaker Café (Quaker Café #1)
  • The Whiskey Rebels
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Honest Spy
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • We Are All Made of Stars
  • Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons
  • Mercer Girls
    $4.99 $1.99
  • While the World Is Still Asleep (The Century Trilogy Book 1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Very Valentine
    $10.99 $2.99
  • The Cellar
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Clouds (Glenbrooke, #5)
  • Ireland