Start by marking “The Wizard's Tale” as Want to Read:
The Wizard's Tale

The Wizard's Tale

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  245 Ratings  ·  50 Reviews
A magical story of redemption, The Wizard's Tale follows the aged Bafflerog Rumplewhisker and his young companion, Muddle, the woodcutter's son, as they embark on a quest to retrieve the magical Book of Worse -- a tome that will ensure the land of Ever-Night remains as it is, a dark and gloomy realm of evil. But old Rumplewhisker's heart slowly warms on their journey, and ...more
Published January 1st 2010 by IDW Publishing (first published July 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Wizard's Tale, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wizard's Tale

Michelle M
I picked this up at our local Comicon for 90% off (thanks TFAW!). All was madness among those shelves, but I saw the cover and grabbed it up. I knew right off it must be illustrated by the same fellow that did the lovely Hobbit graphic adaptation, the style was unmistakable with the soft colors, whimsical creatures and detail packed into every corner.

It wasn't until later that I opened it up to read it and fell into a sweet fairy tale about a wizard who only wants to do wrong but finds himself s
Jesse A
A fine quick fantasy tale. Art was good, story was brisk and familiar. 3.5 stars.
Mary Catelli
Once upon a time (all good stories should start like that ;) there was a wizard. Bafflerog Rumplewhisker. Being an evil wizard, he was brewing up a storm to dump on the village below. His best friend, a toad named Gumpwort, told him he didn't have to do it, but, as Bafflerog explains, he's an evil wizard. He comes from a long line of evil wizards, and what they do is evil wizardry. What would he be if he were not an evil wizard?

His cute little alchemicals (the only thing he can summon, when all
Brenda
Jan 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this! The story was quite fun, but it was the artwork that really grabbed me. It's so gorgeous. The art is somewhat muted, but it's still super colorful. I will probably buy this so I can read it again and again. It's my favorite graphic novel that I've ever read.

-----------------
2nd read-through with my boys. They loved it too, and wanted me to read the whole thing in one sitting.
Anthony
Feb 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This books is funny, exciting and adorable! Busiek goes above and beyond to create a new fantasy story with familiar elements. If you're a fan of fantasy (and I know most people on my friend's list are) then pick this graphic novel up.
Jason
Fantastic art, fun story, with some unusual plot twists and a great ending.
Andrew Greatbatch
The artwork in this was 5 stars.
The story was 3 stars.

The ending made me smile like a fool though.
Barbara
Aug 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really good artwork but the story is really not all that great.
Heidi Schaub
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-books-read
Sweet and charming
Ammon
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
A charming and delightful all-ages fantasy graphic novel.
Ketan Shah
A beautifully illustrated fairy tale with some modern twists. If you enjoyed this you might like graphic novels like Neil Gaiman's Stardust Neil Gaiman & Charles Vess' Stardust,Evan Dorkin and Jill Thompson's Beasts of Burden: Animal Rites,and J.M DeMatteis and John J Muth's MoonshadowThe Compleat Moonshadow. you might also enjoy novels like John Barne's One for the Morning Glory One for the Morning Glory,Roderick McLeish's Prince OmbraPrince Ombraand T.H White's The Once and Future KingThe ...more
Bill Larkin
Jul 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a huge reason why I truly love the work of Kurt Busiek. The man just knows how to engage me. The Wizard's Tale story is no different. In this graphic novel, Busiek is joined by illustrator, David Wenzel, known for his fantastic adaptation of The Hobbit graphic novel.

The story is a heartwarming tale of an "evil" wizard trying to find his true identity in a world where evil reigns supreme. You immediately start to understand that our protagonist Bafflerog Rumplewhisker is not really that
Bogdan
Dec 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
The Wizard’s Tale urmareste aventurile unui vrajitor, descendent al unei familii cu renume in zona intunecata a magiei ce nu reuseste sa se ridice la nivelul inaintasilor sai, ci dimpotriva isi demostreaza din plin bunatatea si lipsa oricarei inclinatii pentru magia neagra.

Trebuie spus din start, povestea nu este neaparat punctul forte al benzii si target-ul sau ar fi persoanele mai putin in varsta, in schimb pe cat de subtire poate parea plot-ul pe atat de atragatoare si pline de caldura sunt
Shannon
Apr 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I heard about this book from an author I follow who said her daughter loves it. I can see why. The illustrations in this book are gorgeous. And while the story can be a little cheesy at parts, there were many others where I was literally laughing out loud (thank you Gumpwort). No matter how hard Bafflerog tries to live up to the name of his historically famous evil ancestors, his spells always go awry. At the beginning of the story, he decides to spell up a horrible storm to wreck hevoc on the v ...more
Thebruce1314
I'm no graphic novel connoisseur. What really attracts me to them is - honestly - pretty pictures. Maybe an appealing storyline, once in awhile, but mostly it's the pretty pictures. I picked this one up off of a bargain table and had about 30 seconds to decide if I wanted it or not, so I went with yes - based on the fact that the artwork in it is absolutely stunning. Turns out this is my new favourite book.
It is the simple tale of an "evil" wizard, Bafflerog, who just can't seem to work up the p
Kapila
Jun 26, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
At first I thought the art work was too busy for me to follow -- the lines in this graphic novel are nothing like the compact, clean feel of Jellaby. It was the endearing quality of the characters that got me through. The plot felt a bit worn, thin, and predictable, but that won't stop one from enjoying the book visually -- and yes, I did get used to Wenzel's very fluid, flexible and sometimes fuzzy style of painting. The details in the pictures really drew my eyes in. I wish there could be a se ...more
Rachel Rogers
Jul 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun graphic novel about the last in a long line of evil wizards/wicked sorcerers. And this one makes mistakes all the time. Like the horrendous rain storm spell he cast on his neighboring town just happened to end the drought that had been plaguing them for years...and it had a rainbow at the end. He's given an ultimatum by his guild to find a spellbook lost for years and goes on a quest to find it. And it doesn't end the way he expects.
Erika
May 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I originally bought this simply for the art work without reading anything about the story. The art is beautiful, detailed and wonderfully colored and the story was a wonderful bonus.

The story is a redemption story about how an "evil" wizard (whose heart just isn't in it) changes his mind and finds redemption while saving the world from the powers of darkness as he tries to find a hidden magical book that will allow evil to rule forever.
Skye Kilaen
May 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Wonderful fantasy tale about Bafflerog Rumplewhisker, an evil wizard who's supposed to help maintain the darkness that blankets the land of Ever-Night. His heart's just not in it, though. And when he's sent on a quest for a spellbook that will cause darkness to reign forever? Is it his chance to finally live up to his evil ancestors' famous achievements, or something more? A well-crafted blend of traditional fantasy elements with more humor and a modern spin.
Amal El-Mohtar
Mar 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Story-wise I wanted to rate this as 3 stars -- the writing's charming but the denouement made no sense and could have been easily tweaked with little disruption to the story -- but the art is just so gorgeous, and I delighted in its details so much, especially where the Alchemites are concerned, that I couldn't in good conscience give it less than 4.
Martin
Aug 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
A charming, all-ages tale that is beautifully illustrated and perfect for children to read (or for adults to read to them). A good wizard, from a long line of evil wizards, goes on an adventure that ultimately leads to the salvation of his world, and to his own personal happiness.

This cute, old-fashioned story with a twist will surprise you and make you smile.
Scott Whitney
Sep 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun book which I was attracted to more for the work of David Wenzel than I was Kurt Busiek. The illustrations are incredible and the Celtic knot work on the cover is very nice. I could wish the knot work was found throughout.

The story is fun, but it does not have the length which I like in high fantasy as is talked about by Charles de Lint in the introduction. This is a very fast read.
Peter
Mar 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading it just to look at the 'Alchemites' in the gutters is worth it. The first image/full page of the telescope is also worth reading it. A fun play on the common themes and events in high fantasy.
Dave
Oct 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic artwork, but the story is severely underdone. The protagonist hardly even breaks into a sweat as he tries to find the McGuffin of the story, and finds a mysterious princess behind the first door he knocks on.
Jesse O'reilly
Jul 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Any book by Kurt Busiek immediately grabs my attention, and the beautiful illustrations only add to its charm. Busiek is at his best when telling a story from lesser-used perspectives, and he and artist David Wenzel deliver a tale of an evil old wizard who actually isn't all that bad.
Zoe
Dec 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely enchanting, this tale of following ones heart is enlivened by some world class illustration. Short and sweet, with a little humor, it's sure to appeal to Tolkien fans and fairy tale lovers.
Brian
Feb 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-fiction
What a truly wondrous tale! I love childrens' books, especially when good art complements a good story, and this book has it in spades.
Brian Regan
Jun 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A charming tale, with gorgeous art. Highly recommended for anyone.
Ashley Kempkes
An adorable and simple story that was enjoyable to read!
Snow
Mar 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
reviewing for Good Comics for Kids
All About Fantasy!: A Wizard's Tale 3 8 Nov 08, 2016 05:59PM
Fringe Fiction: A Wizard's Tale 1 6 Apr 16, 2016 07:07PM
Fringe Fiction: The Wizard's Tale 1 16 Apr 20, 2014 05:02PM
  • Rex Libris, Volume I: I, Librarian (Rex Libris, #1-5)
  • Slay and Rescue
  • Pandemonium
  • The P. Craig Russell Library of Opera Adaptations, Vol. 1: The Magic Flute
  • Jim Henson's The Storyteller
  • Bone: Stupid Stupid Rat-Tails (The Adventures of Big Johnson Bone, Frontier Hero)
  • Fairy Tales of Oscar Wilde: The Selfish Giant/The Star Child
  • Finder, Vol. 04: Talisman
  • Gray Horses
  • Spera, Volume 1
  • Agnes Quill: An Anthology of Mystery
  • Donald Duck: Lost in the Andes (The Carl Barks Library, #7)
Kurt Busiek is an American comic book writer notable for his work on the Marvels limited series, his own title Astro City, and his four-year run on Avengers.

Busiek did not read comics as a youngster, as his parents disapproved of them. He began to read them regularly around the age of 14, when he picked up a copy of Daredevil #120. This was the first part of a continuity-heavy four-part story arc;
More about Kurt Busiek...