Start by marking “Wishbone” as Want to Read:
Wishbone

Wishbone

Wishbone has a risky life as a prostitute. He's desperately short of money the night a well-dressed shih-aan offers to take him home. While Wishbone has heard that shih-aan are dangerous, he doesn't expect to find one of them so dangerously seductive. Rumored to be demonic, shih-aan fought humans to a bloody standstill in a war a decade past. Though peace between the two r ...more
Published January 2010 by Torquere Books

To ask other readers questions about Wishbone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wishbone

Submission by Chris OwenDomination by Chris OwenRough Canvas by Joey W. HillDiscipline by Chris OwenBondage by Chris Owen
Best Gay BDSM
873 books — 1,171 voters
Change of Heart by Mary CalmesStrawberries for Dessert by Marie SextonTiming by Mary CalmesDrawn Together by Z.A. MaxfieldA Matter of Time Book I by Mary Calmes
Best Gay Pretty Men
274 books — 232 voters

More lists with this book...

JustJen "Miss Conduct"
Jun 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to JustJen "Miss Conduct" by: Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
Shelves: mm, paranormal, bdsm-d-s, ebook
I really enjoyed this story. I loved Wishbone and his relationship with Sir, and even Terefar. One of the things I liked was how their relationship changed and grew, and Sir would change their titles/status based upon the new dynamics. It is a bit of an odd world, where Sir is a sort of demon, and Terefar is basically like a domesticated pet. Wishbone is a human, but it is almost hard to remember this.

I went into this story thinking the biggest thing would be the blood play. However, that doesn
Trix
May 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Wow, now that was quite a story. 4.5 stars for it.

It's a gripping story. I wasn't sure what to expect as I read but what I found on the page was quite exciting. It wasn't your every day story of a whore picked up from the street and taught the ways of love by an alien species. Or better said, this idea is present in the book but hidden under so many other motifs it hardly gets any attention.

(view spoiler)Wow, now that was quite a story. 4.5 stars for it.

(view spoiler)

As I said, not a light BDSM reading. But the characters, the story and the slow way in which they come together is well worth the read.
M'rella
I love the historic/fantasy setting. Fragile peace between the two species - human and shih-aan - makes it a dangerous and enigmatic world.
Very interesting, very dark and very erotic story.
The only drawback is Ah Jinrao and his relationship with Wishbone's Sir - it is still a mystery to me after I've finished the book. You think you have it all spelled out, but something happens between the two of them at the end it twists everything and leaves you guessing. There are hints in the last
YullSanna
Sep 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Формулирую мысли:
1) обложка непонятно к чему вообще такая. На нее советую внимания не обращать.
2) книгу нашла в разделе инопланетного романса, но инопланетян тут нет никаких. Есть другая, более продвинутая расса со сложной иерархией. Ее ввод в повествование местами нудноватый, но без этого было бы не обойтись.
3) пыток и депрессухи на самом деле нет. Главный герой на самом деле довольно оптимистичен, его не ломают обстоятельства.
4) БДСМ есть, с тяжкими телесными, НО с обоюдного согласия и с к
Elisa Rolle
Wishbone is at the same time classic and innovative. It’s classic where it retells the story of Pygmalion, or My Fair Lady, or Pretty Woman (see how many time it was told?): a wealthy and cultured man picks a filthy whore from the streets and teaches him how to behave. It’s innovative since, what the wealthy man teaches to the whore it’s a totally different thing from the usual lessons on good manners or polished language, but is instead the power you have in surrendering.

From the very first ni
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
It's taken me a while to review this book not just because I haven't had the time but because I wasn't exactly sure what to say. For anyone wondering, yes, this book delves into a lot of 'taboo' areas, or what some people might call taboo.

I feel this book needs a warning of some type for all those innocents out there so here's that warning: Strong BDSM with major emphasis on the SM, blood play, master/slave with an open relationship, multiple fistings with double jointed hands, cruelty and abus
Yblees
Jan 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m-favorites
I hesitated at first, over reviewing this book at all. Partly because I needed to think about how to review it. But mostly because there don't seem to be any copies of this for sale anywhere. Not ebook copies, and not paper copies. It seems to be completely "out of print". Suffice to say, nothing that's been on the internet is ever completely lost, but you'll have to search very hard for a copy of this - and I'd be surprised if you find a "legal" one.

Having said that, I went and boug
Kassa
Feb 09, 2010 rated it it was ok
Wishbone is a complicated story with a lot of extreme elements thrown in. There is pretty hard core BDSM with a lot of dominance and submission issues, both sexually and non-sexually. There is a science fiction setting combined with a historical atmosphere, not fully explored or developed but with enough originality and interest to create something engaging. There is also a slight mystery but nothing that really drives the story. Ultimately the book is neither character driven nor surrounding a ...more
Tatiana
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
DNF at 65%
Charly
Nov 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Definitely worth a read if you like BDSM fantasy

Warning: This review might contain what some people consider SPOILERS.

Rating: 8/10

PROS:
- Interesting fantasy setting: the story felt to me a bit like a Regency romance, with the way the characters dress and how they travel in carriages and which historical rules of decorum they follow. But the setting is not England: there are multiple characters in the house where Wishbone ends up, and only a few of them are human. The ot
Amanda
Jan 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
This was a very strange, but interesting story. Honestly, I probably would have skipped it had I known it was set in a historical-like setting. In spite of that, I found myself enjoying the main character, Wishbone, and learning more about the Shih-aan species introduced here. I would recommend this book to people who enjoy historical and paranormal themes.

*Warning: multiple fisting scenes, tons of violence, and rough sex play.
Essemoh Teepee
Mar 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I am not a big fan of M/M erotica but I found Wishbone drew me into the world of this male dockside whore. It was intriguing to follow Wishbone's transition from the Alien as a meal ticket Sugar Daddy to finding both love and respect in the Shi-ahn Master to whom Wishbone gave his trust.
The sex was very rough and raw but still had the trembling undertones of love coming through the pain and power exchange.
Seregil
Feb 24, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: mm, bdsm, slavefic
Despite the almost too violent sex scenes (this coming from a BDSM reader) the book was very enjoyable. The characters where interesting and the plot didn't bore at all. The best part of the book was probably the well crafted universe.
I'd enjoy reading a sequel of this book, as the ending seems to set the stage for one (which would take us deeper into the non-human society).
Bookwatcher
Oct 09, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: sci-fi, glbt-gay, dnf, hate-it
Maybe someday I'll try it again, but not very soon.

20% read: A fisting scene and hot iron burn in his face... No... Can't keep reading Whisbone (main character and narrator) story

This book is not for me
Calila
I loved this so much. The world building was excellent. I loved Wishbone and Sir's relationship. It felt very natural, and I believed the rush of the feelings. The political aspect was interesting. I would love more in this world. Maybe Ah Jinrao meets a human who shatters his world. I'd also love to see what happens with Wishbone in Sir's country, and society. The culture shock. The adjustments. I just want more.
Ayanna
Mar 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lmao-what, reviewed
*blink. blink*

Well...that was...different.

The only thing I can think to say is to poke fun at The Violet and the Tom. There are ways to work this role exchange thing and this comes pretty close to pretty believable...much more so than the sudden shift in tV&tT.

2013-07-28 reread:
I rather liked it. It's got kick-ass world building. Very cool.
Lang
Jan 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
It's a great read and I loved it from the beginnig till the end!
I would give it 10 stars or should I just rate it 2 times? =)))

Recommended to m/m BDSM fans as well as shifters' fans or fans of "books with teeth" as my good friend put it =)))
Adrianamae
Jan 04, 2012 rated it it was ok
disturbing and complicated and difficult to understand.
Carolyn
Jul 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m-romance, bdsm, fantasy
This is a nice read. You have a lot of interesting characters in the story. If you like fantasy and out of this world characters you will enjoy this book.
Stacy
I enjoyed the back story and the mystery aspect of this, but I was not crazy about the BDSM aspects. So it averaged out to 3 stars for me.
BTina
Wishbone the human rentboy struggled to survive. He had a harsh life before he met enigmatic Sir, a shih-aan. The church taught that shih-aan were demons. Sir, diplomat and trader, wanted to avert a war that would lead to the defeat and enslavement of the humans in Bronlyn.

Shih-aan men played a fascinating mind game for high stakes. Their dueling "with the ritualized beating, torture and rape of the loser" was an essential part of their culture. The power play determined their social
Nene
This was actually a really clever premise but unfortunately it wasn't very well executed. The relationship between Sir and Wishbone felt forced and there was no real connection between them. There is some intense BDSM scenes in this book but they serve as just that...scenes. They don't really work to develop the relationship between Sir and Wishbone. On the other hand, there are some really unique elements and plot devices used. It's an interesting combination between historical fic and sci-fi. ...more
Lakeisha
Disturbed on soooo many levels, wavered between giving this 2 stars for my loathing or 3 stars for my attention being kept at its peak...and I don't know what that says about me lol. However props must be give to the author for the world building it was strange and alien-like all the things I find fascinating, but as much as I tried to picture "Sir" my imagination committed suicide...lol. I cant quite get it out my head hence the 3 stars oh and the flipped roles was weird for me...lord I don't e ...more
Vfields Don't touch my happy!
Okay this one came out of left field. It's kind or science fiction, kind of historical romance, all hot and interesting. Not once did it loose my attention. All the characters are well written an the story flows very well. Unlike other novels of this genre we are given just enough information to answer to questions about these odd beings from another world. Yes, there was some serious rough sex but no one got anything they couldn't handle or want.
D
Names and titles got a bit confusing, but otherwise, a thoroughly good read.
Tracy's Place
Jul 16, 2010 added it
Shelves: m-m
DNF

The bdsm was a bit too hard core and bloody for me and I couldn't get into the story.
Natasha Jones
Jan 12, 2013 rated it it was ok
I kind of liked it.... But not my sort of reading, Good for something different.
Trish
Jun 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
AWESOME STORY. CANT WAIT FOR THE NEST ONE. GAVE ME THE CHILLS BUT IT WAS GREAT.
Laura Antoniou
Apr 24, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Thank you all! 4 12 Jun 11, 2012 12:14AM
Review of Wishbone from www.circlet.com 1 3 Mar 25, 2010 04:49PM

• All Wrapped Up
  • What Worse Place Can I Beg in Your Love?
  • Undesirable
  • Like It or Not
  • Mr. Benson
  • Obedience Training (Ian McAllistor #1)
  • Caging the Beast (Creations #4)
  • Neko
  • Lee's Story (The Slave Breakers, #3)
  • Under Contract
  • From Temptation (Deliver Us, #2)
  • Love Runes (Gods and Chaos, #2)
  • Reifu Rising
  • Pathfinder
  • A Hidden Magic (Sentinels #1)
  • Pride (The Copper Horse, #2)
  • Blood and Roses
  • Making Contact
Lauren Burka writes stories about people from different worlds and how they have different relationships.  And sex.  Don’t forget the sex.  In her free time she collects single-tail whips and pursues doomed affairs with Oxford commas.