Start by marking “The Emperor of Nihon-Ja (Ranger's Apprentice, #10)” as Want to Read:
The Emperor of Nihon-Ja (Ranger's Apprentice, #10)

The Emperor of Nihon-Ja

(Ranger's Apprentice #10)

4.42  ·  Rating details ·  45,035 ratings  ·  1,409 reviews
When Horace travels to the exotic land of Nihon- Ja, it isn't long before he finds himself pulled into a battle that is not his - but one he knows in his heart he must wage. A kingdom teeters on the edge of chaos when the Nihon-Ja emperor, a defender of the common man, is forcibly overthrown, and only Horace, Will, and his Araluen companions can restore the emperor to the ...more
Published November 1st 2010 by Random House Australia

To ask other readers questions about The Emperor of Nihon-Ja, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers... (view spoiler)
Eline If I remember correctly, no. I think he asks for real in book 11. (This can be wrong it's been almost 2 years since I last read all of them)…moreIf I remember correctly, no. I think he asks for real in book 11. (This can be wrong it's been almost 2 years since I last read all of them)(less)
This question contains spoilers... (view spoiler)
Olaf Verboon
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  45,035 ratings  ·  1,409 reviews

Start your review of The Emperor of Nihon-Ja (Ranger's Apprentice, #10)
Chesra
Jun 20, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: borrowed-books
(I just feel the need to explain the 2-stars rating here.)

I’ve been reading the Ranger’s Apprentice series, written by John Flanagan, for the past two years thanks to my good friend Kara. This is the final book, The Emperor of Nihon-Ja and I spent the entire night reading it, instead of going to bed. Haha.

I don’t think I’ve ever done a book review for this series because I’ve always been relatively impartial about it; it’s an okay book for me. Not something I would buy myself each time it comes
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Emperor of Nihon-Ja (Ranger's Apprentice, #10), John Flanagan

The name Nihon-Ja is based on the name of Japan, Nihon-Koku. The Emperor of Nihon-Ja is the tenth installment of the Ranger's Apprentice book series by Australian author John Flanagan. The book was released in Australia on 1 November 2010.

Horace (the knight) is missing. Months have passed since he was sent on a military mission to the court of the Emperor of Nihon-Ja with his friend, former wardmate, and Scribeschool apprentice Geo
Stephanie
Sep 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
John Flanagan always amazes me. He is a very talented author. There are very few series I would read to the very end if they had more than five books. Until now, the only author series I've read that have been longer than five books are Harry Potter and the first twelve books of The Secrets of Droon. My point? For me to read a series for this long and be willing to read more, the author has to be pretty darn good.

The Emperor of Nihon-Ja was great! I absolutely loved the drama between Evalyn and
C.B. Cook
I love love love love love this series. The characters are great, the plots are wonderful, and the battles are described well and aren't super confusing. Also, the feeeeeels of that ending!!!!

My only problem (which isn't really a problem) is that I'm not a huge fan of Alyss, and I don't really ship her with Will, either. So far she's my least favorite character in the series. Other than that, though, I love all of the characters. <3 Such a good read!
Mike (the Paladin)
Jul 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, ya-fantasy
Here we have another entry in the Ranger's Apprentice series. This is an excellent YA series (some volumes are better than others) and I'd recommend it. Some say this is more a series for boys than for girls but I disagree. Even if it started that way it has grown to include the "love stories" of both Will and his best friend and this book was pretty much split in half. The stories of Will and his male friends is half the story while the tale of Alice and the Princess' adventures is the other ha ...more
Elizabeth Dragina
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The endings always make the whole book that much better. It's got such a "home" vibe swirling through its pages. 333

While I have overall problems with this book and the whole series I won't mention them right now. If I go back and give detailed reviews for the whole series then I will. Until that happens (if that ever happens) I will leave it at this.

KONA 😍😍
Lexie
Jun 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars
7/10. Probably my other least favourite of the series but the new setting of a whole new country was interesting, just a little uneventful and a bit of an abrupt ending. But still a very good book.
Smaug the Unmerciful Editor
Sep 04, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one.
I can hear you: Smaug, since you read the other nine books and you hated them all, why the HECK are you reading the tenth one?! Well, it's because I am a wishy-washy old grouch, that's why. I got this far, I might as well finish the series.

Man, where to start? Yet another extremely mediocre book with bad world-building, bad characters, and poorly done plot. Blatant spoilers ahead, by the way.

The whole Japanese thing does not work for John. He basically took the entire Japanese language, culture
Kathleen
Feb 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another heartwarming and engrossing action-adventure for older kids and adults, featuring Horace, Will, Halt, Alyss, Evanlyn/Princess Cassandra, Gundar Heartstriker the Skandian (see The Sorcerer in the North) and Selethen the Irridian Arab (see Erak's Ransom and Scorpion Mountain).

As the title suggests, this story is set in ancient Japan (which is also know as Nihon / Nihon-koku, as well as Nippon / Nippon-koku). Horace and friends help the honorable Emperor Shigeru defeat a cowardly usurper. T
Johanna
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
I think I just have to accept the fact that I'm over this series ... I probably should have stopped reading about five books ago or so.I'm just not invested anymore, not in the characters, not in the stories and certainly not in the hardly original worldbuilding. ...more
Suzie
Sep 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THEY HAVE THIS!?!?! I wish it was out where I live. *sigh*
Luann
Aug 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, young-adult, fantasy
Dear Mr. Flanagan,

A heartfelt thanks for sharing the world you created and populated with some of my all-time favorite book characters! You did the series justice with this tenth book. I particularly loved the parts with Alyss and Evanlyn! They came very close to stealing the show, which I absolutely loved.

Does this really have to be the last one?? What are your plans for the future? Any thoughts of writing books that tell us about Halt as a young Ranger's Apprentice? Or are you going to branch
E
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2019
I thought they were 16-17 this entire time so that ending was kinda fucked up. Also what the f was Flanagan thinking while writing that last battle scene.

The rest of the book was amazing. I love love love 'Kurokuma' so this book was a real treat. I am looking forward to reading the next book. :)
Dan
Feb 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Like every other book in this series, this was a good solid, enjoyable read.
colleen the convivial curmudgeon
Not one of my favorites in the series, which is disappointing since it's the last one (not counting the book of short stories). It's not bad, per se, but it just didn't have that same spark that has made me love this series, in general.

Anyway - Horace has gone to Nihon-Ja (essentially a version of Japan) on a diplomatic sort of thing and, while there, gets embroiled in a political upheaval. Evanlyn, worried about him, joins with Halt, Will and Alyss - and others - to go find him.

A quick not abou
rachel ☾
Oct 09, 2015 rated it really liked it

I cannot say that The Emperor of Nihon-Ja was my favourite Ranger's Apprentice book, because it wasn't. While it wasn't as jarringly disconnected like The Sorcerer in the North, it was a little slow and the characters were a little more distant (is that the word I'm looking for?) than usual.

Nihon-Ja was an interesting setting. I love that it was somewhere new, so we got to learn about a new culture and meet new characters that bought something a little different to the story. The Emper
Anna {Follow me for reviews! (✿◡‿◡)}
Personally, the beginning of this book is a bit slower than some of the others. But as the book progresses, the story line goes faster and we get some action.

If it was in a different series, I would probably rate this 4 out of 5, but since John Flanagan is my favorite author, it's obviously a five star book.

Content: (basically the same as always)
Language--dam*s, hel*s, and taking God's name in vain a few times.
Sexy Stuff/Romance--a few kisses? I think? XD (view spoiler)
Chelsea
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite installments in the Ranger's Apprentice series. It nails the world and importance of honor and "face" that the Asian societies hold close and the character of Shigeru is superlative.
The marvelous scene with Alyss, Evanlyn and the Kyofu is an absolute stand-out.
"What's this Kurokuma business?"
The Senshi looked at him with a completely straight face.
"It's a term of great respect," he said. Several others within earshot nodded confirmation. They too managed to remain straight-fa
Bailey Marissa
Again, this felt like a placeholder book. *sad face* It didn't help that the Alyss/Evanlyn fighting went on for too long; one to three focused arguments would have been fine, but this one had at least four.

Recommended 12+ for violence, scary situations, and maybe mild language? (It's not that much if it's there)
Rachel
Jun 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Okay, I'll admit that I complained for most of this book (sorry Kevin) but the ending was so hilarious that it totally made up for the fact that it took nine books and 393 pages for my brotp to stop hating each other. ...more
Cordelianne
Jun 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
The emperor of Nihon-Ja was my favorite so far. I love that almost all the characters join in on this quest and I really enjoyed the story line. The battle tactics were great as well and I love the friendship between Alyss and Evanlynn!
Nigel
Dec 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another entry in the enjoyable Ranger's Apprentice series, a mediaeval fantasy series written for teenagers. I originally borrowed the first of these for my 9yo, but read it myself after realising they were a little too old for him, and have continued to pick them up when I see them at our library. This adventure is set in 'Nihon-Ja' (an easily recognisable feudal Japan), and is derivative of both James Clavell's 'Shogun' as well as the Tom Cruise movie 'The Last Samurai', with samurai warlords ...more
Sally906
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The last of the adventures - and this time they are in the mysterious East facing an oriental foe. While Horace is doing a state visit the emperor is overthrown by a really mean man. Horace and the endangered leader make a stand in a snowed in Valley - the rest of the gang come to the rescue - sort of. The two girls shame a nation and friendships are cemented for life - this is the last book - can this actually mean we’re going to lose someone?

There is one more book in this series The Lost Stori
Abby Chaput
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After not continuing the series for a while, I jumped back where I left off, which was great because it was the start of another adventure! I really liked how every decision is true to the character, and I loved the Emperor in this book!
Garlan ✌
Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good book in the series! I think I have one more to finish it.
Lisa Penninga
Feb 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book! My favorite so far! Onto the next :)
Hank
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Best of the series and a great way to end it (for me). The 10th book had everything we hoped for, all the main characters plus a couple of extras doing their thing. The story followed a familiar path with strategy, heroics and joyful ending. I like the fact that the girls got heavily involved again even if it was a tad forced.

I am not super interested in the short story collection that follows this and the last book has not been well received so I will skip that. Fantastic series well worth re
Samuel
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
John Flanagan has truly outdone himself once again. This book, by far, is his greatest masterpiece, and one of the best books I have ever read. A collection of action, battle, strategy, friendship, cunning, and romance, this book rejuvenates the vigor and excitement of war, completely enticing the reader. This book is best suited for mature audiences, who will not be frightened by the epitomy of war, but rather accept it and live through the imaginary experience, enlightening themselves in the r ...more
Jacob
Apr 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit long, especially compared to the previous books in the series, but it's totally forgivable because this is the last novel in the series that focuses on Will, and honestly the author's done a long story before. He just broke it up into Rangers Apprentice, Book Five: The Sorcerer of the North and The Siege of Macindaw. And I would prefer the whole story just be told in one book.

This has the characteristic strengths of Flanagan's writing: strong characters (both male and female), realistic hu
Jayme Carruthers
Oct 04, 2011 rated it it was ok
I am afraid to say that I was, in fact disappointed. After the first few chapters I new the basic outline for the plot, which to say the least pretty much follows the plot line from the previous books. And by the time I finished I wasn't even happy it say that I figured it out before the ending. I was looking forward to this book in the hope that it would end with a happier note than what I felt when reading the two previous books before. Making Halt a run away prince with a twin brother reminde ...more

• The King of the West (Path of the Ranger #7)
  • The Last Guardian (Artemis Fowl #8)
  • The Secret Refuge (Path of the Ranger #5)
  • Golgelerin Efendisi 12 : Son Orman Muhafizi
  • Path of the Specialist (Path of the Ranger #6)
  • Seeds of Rebellion (Beyonders, #2)
  • Treason in the North (Path of the Ranger, #4)
  • Mysteriet på Ödeborgen
  • The Traitor's Son (Path of the Ranger, #1)
  • The Horn of Moran (Adventurers Wanted, #2)
  • Mystery in the Tundra (Path of the Ranger, #3)
  • Paskutinis orkas. I knyga
  • Slathbog's Gold (Adventurers Wanted, #1)
  • The King's Secret (Path of the Ranger, #2)
  • A World Without Heroes (Beyonders, #1)
  • Inheritance (The Inheritance Cycle, #4)
  • Chasing the Prophecy (Beyonders, #3)
See top shelves…

For mysteries by this same author, see John A. Flanagan.

John Flanagan grew up in Sydney, Australia, hoping to be a writer. It wasn't until he wrote a highly uncomplimentary poem about a senior executive at the agency where he worked, however, that his talent was revealed. It

Ranger's Apprentice (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Ruins of Gorlan (Ranger's Apprentice, #1)
  • The Burning Bridge (Ranger's Apprentice, #2)
  • The Icebound Land (Ranger's Apprentice, #3)
  • The Battle for Skandia (Ranger's Apprentice, #4)
  • The Sorcerer of the North (Ranger's Apprentice, #5)
  • The Siege of Macindaw (Ranger's Apprentice, #6)
  • Erak's Ransom (Ranger's Apprentice, #7)
  • The Kings of Clonmel (Ranger's Apprentice, #8)
  • Halt's Peril (Ranger's Apprentice, #9)
  • The Lost Stories (Ranger's Apprentice, #11)