Start by marking “Classics Illustrated: Moby Dick” as Want to Read:
Classics Illustrated: Moby Dick

Classics Illustrated: Moby Dick

Ishmael, a sailor, recounts the ill-fated voyage of a whaling ship led by the fanatical Captain Ahab in search of the white whale that had crippled him. Presented in comic book format.
Published February 1st 1990 by Berkley Publishing Group

To ask other readers questions about Classics Illustrated, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Classics Illustrated

Start your review of Classics Illustrated: Moby Dick
J. Dunn
I know what you're thinking: A comic book abridgment of a classic novel? Buh? This isn't a replacement for reading Moby Dick. What it is is 40+ pages of just insanely gorgeous and badass illustrations of Moby Dick by Bill Sienkiewicz. Seriously, I'd like to have framed prints of like half of the pages in this thing.
Susan
Jul 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned-books
A poor second to the Melville book, I bought this when I thought I might never read the original. This is the movie version of only the tale of the Pequod and Ahab's relentless pursuit of the white whale. All spooky, dark illustrations (the main attraction), stripped of all Melville's whaling information.
When I finished this I had to watch John Huston's film again.
Nicole
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this! A retelling of Moby Dick in graphic novel form, it's a quick but fulfilling read. The art is unique and really captures the story. In fact, the art really sells the story for me. Well adapted, & while nothing can replace the classic novel itself, this is a good place to start or reacquaint yourself with Moby Dick.
Ahmad
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
doesn't capture the narrative so well but the colors and drawings capture the drama
Emi Bevacqua
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Illustrated Classics is a brilliant idea, and Bill Sienkiewics's adaptation is outstanding. My girls are 9 and I couldn't get them interested in this particular epic, but that's fine considering how violent and dark the story is, but this distillation method (143 chapters in the original, 43 pages in comic version) works so well I'll definitely try again in a few years.
Tom Marshall
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
###############################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################
A.G.E. montagner
Bill Sienkiewicz, allucinato disegnatore di Daredevil ed Elektra nel miglior periodo di Frank Miller, innovatore radicale dei comics in un periodo di grande innovazione quale furono gli 80, fautore di una qualità pittorica allora inedita, vanta nel suo curriculum anche il migliore adattamento di Moby Dick che mi sia capitato di leggere, forse il migliore possibile. E del resto era forse lautore più adatto: al suo posto Dave McKean ne avrebbe dato uninterpretazione meno oscura, Mike Mignola una ...more
Chuck
Mar 06, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Every now and then I feel an urge to read one of the classics that I never got around to in HS or college, so it was with Moby Dick. An amazing book for the time it was written, but doesn't translate very well in the current year. Full of obscure references to mythological and biblical characters, along with everything you could ever want to know about 19th century whaling. But who am I to be critical of a classic!
Jon
Jun 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: classics, fiction, history
This was an interesting story. It is interesting to see how people wrote in the past, it really puts the present to shame, of course, today we would just watch a video on many of the finer parts that he went over.

I know there is a lot of allusions to the past in the book. It would be interesting to read a commentary on the book because any allusions went right over my head.
Dan
Dec 04, 2012 added it
My aunt and uncle bought this for me when I was a kid. I got really nostalgic for this really well done comic when I started reading the novel and found a used copy on Amazon.

They also bought me a comic of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde that freaked me out.
James Maxey
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'll confess: My love of the novel Moby Dick began with this illustrated edition. It plucks out the best parts of the story from Melvilles somewhat overwhelming prose and gets right to the heart of what makes this work and enduring classic.
Patrick Mcgee
Oct 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This graphic novel adaptation is quite well done. Sienkiewicz trims down Melville's classic to just the narrative bits important to the story arc and provides some beautiful artwork to pair it with. Highly recommended if you can locate a copy (currently out of print).
Gig Wailgum
Jan 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Been re-reading some of my Moby Dick books in my library... This one is great. Text is pretty true to the book. Art is dark like the heart of Ahab.
Sheppard  Hobgood
Sep 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
How can I judge the great American novel about an industry that has long since died (except in Japan). I hope to read it once more if I should find the time.
Tanish Kalgude
really good about whaling. I would curse Ahab for just getting behind one white whale. you will understand the true suspense when you read the awesome book!
Sean Chick
Jul 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This adaptation of Moby Dick remains one of the best. It is a minor of cult classic of a comic book, illustrated as if we are looking at a nightmare dreamed up by Melville in 1851.
Reyel2107
Jun 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
the art is ..... amazing !!!!!
Sonia Cebrian
lo empecé con muchas ganas y, para ser sincera, ando un tanto harta de cómo se pescaban cachalotes en el sXIX. Pero me queda el final, la gran lucha....
Twan
Oct 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
More like Moby's dick.

Gorgeous artwork though.
StrictlySequential
Aug 05, 2018
Souris
rated it did not like it
Dec 23, 2016
Kingsley Layton
Dec 30, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Mina de Vanghel
  • The Necessity of Art: A Marxist Approach (Peregrine)
  • Les Aventures du Dernier Abencerage
  • Με τις μέλισσες ή με τους λύκους; Αγόρευση στη δίκη της Χρυσής Αυγής
  • La tête la première (Blast, #3)
  • L'apocalypse selon Saint Jacky (Blast, #2)
  • Grasse carcasse (Blast, #1)
  • Pourvu que les bouddhistes se trompent (Blast, #4)
  • The Books of Magic
  • The Big Burn: Teddy Roosevelt and the Fire that Saved America
  • Jan Karski: L'uomo che scoprì l'olocausto
  • Red: Passion and Patience in the Desert
  • The Dog Who Wouldn't Be
Boleslav Felix Robert "Bill" Sienkiewicz is an Eisner Award-winning American artist best known for his comic book work, primarily for Marvel Comics' The New Mutants and Elektra: Assassin. Sienkiewicz often utilizes oil painting, collage, mimeograph and other forms generally uncommon in comic books.

News & Interviews

“doubts of all things earthly, and intuition of of some things heavenly; this combination makes neither believer nor infidel, but makes a man who regards both with equal eye” 2 likes