Start by marking “I, Jedi (Star Wars)” as Want to Read:
I, Jedi (Star Wars)

I, Jedi

(Star Wars Universe)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  10,753 ratings  ·  257 reviews
New York Times bestselling author Michael A. Stackpole presents a stirring new tale set in the Star Wars® universe: the dramatic story of a heroic X-wing pilot on the razor's edge between the Force--and the dark side.

Corran Horn has distinguished himself as one of the best and brightest of Rogue Squadron's elite fighting force. Then his wife, Mirax, vanishes on a covert mi
464 pages
Published (first published May 1st 1998)

Adam
May 09, 2014 rated it did not like it
I, Jedi is a strange beast. It's long, twice as long as it should be, since it includes two full story arcs. The baffling part is that the first arc is a bizarre retelling of the events of KJA's Jedi Academy Trilogy, told from the perspective of a character who didn't appear at all in the original story. I can't honestly fathom what made the editors, or even the author, think that overlap was a good idea. Corran is a mega-hero Gary Stu on par with Luke, and so in this telling, he is responsible ...more
Merida
Nov 11, 2009 rated it it was ok
Yeah, we get it, Corran Horn is kickass. But this is blatant sue-ing of an already sue character. Also, the retconning of the Jedi Academy Trilogy is distasteful and very badly done. But it does some neat things, so I wouldn't skip it.
Crystal Starr Light
"If you cannot recognize the man in the mirror, it is time to step back and see when you stopped being yourself"
The only first-person view in the Star Wars world to date, I am rereading this one for a Star Wars book of the month club.
About two years after the Thrawn Incident, Corran Horn is still in the Rogue Squadron when he senses that his wife, Mirax Terrick, is gone. Knowing he has Jedi powers, Luke Skywalker convinces Corran that the best way to find her is to cultivate this nascent talent.
Anne
Jul 09, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Corran Horn fans, people who didn't like the JAT
Shelves: specfic
Okay, so yes, I'm in love with Corran Horn. (My husband doesn't mind because even if Corran really existed, he knows Mirax would kick my butt if I made a move on him.)

I also am a fan of this book because it summarizes the events of the Jedi Academy Trilogy (groan) and puts them in a better and more sensible light (hooray!) (The only good thing about the JAT, in my opinion, was "The Little Lost Bantha Cub"-- which rocks.)

Not the best thing to read just entering the SWEU, maybe-- read the original
Branwen Sedai *of the White Ajah*
Feb 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Star Wars fans
This was my FIRST EVER buddy read with one of my best friends; the wonderful and amazing David Green!

photo buddyread5_zps9585950a.jpg

photo buddyread4_zps6ce3bad9.png

I realized who I was. I saw my reflection in the mirror and heard the wind call to me. I had, since before I could remember remembering, always held as the highest possible ideal a commitment to serving others. My job was to provide others shelter and shade, to be a fortress against all the cruelty and wantonness out there. Selflessness is the only antidote to evil. It provides the light that d
Ron
It's hard, as Stackpole attempted, to take a previously told tale (that of the early days of Luke's Jedi Academy) and tell it from a different point of view as part of a different story. Foremost, it doesn't work if readers haven't read the previous work. SW fans have read Kevin Anderson's Jedi Academy trilogy or the first half of this book makes little sense. Secondly, the narrative lacks the punch of the first story as our hero is repeatedly absent or passive during critical events of the orig ...more
Josephine
Dec 29, 2014 rated it did not like it
I'm not entirely sure why people like this book? I found the pace unbearably slow, the writing sub par and the plot very dull. It's mostly just rambling and wandering with the main problem of the story conveniently pushed to the side until the last fifty or so pages where the action really gets going. This book could really be cut in half, or even less. The unwitting Force-sensitive trope is overused to death in Star Wars, and this is just another example. The character to me comes across as rat ...more
David - proud Gleeman in Branwen's adventuring party
Thoroughly enjoyed my very first buddy read with one of my dearest friends, the lovely and talented Branwen! :D Full review to come!
John Yelverton
Jul 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
Interesting book about a completely new character and his struggles to become a Jedi.
Daniel
Apr 18, 2012 rated it liked it
I, Jedi is another book I read when I was younger, and apparently didn't understand or remember very much of it. It's a pretty good story set in the expansive Star Wars universe, and I enjoyed my read.

It does have some flaws. While Stackpole's writing is leaps and bounds better than his writing in the X-Wing series, some of it is still wooden, stilted, or just plain unrealistic. The voice at the beginning is excellent--you get a clear idea of Corran's character. Unfortunately, that unique voice
Stephanie Rose
Nov 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars, books
Dieses Buch gehört zweifellos zu den mir liebsten Star Wars-Büchern, die ich besitze, auch wenn es seine Schwächen hat. Nach gut zehn Jahren habe ich mich nun wieder einmal rangesetzt und dieses Buch zum x-ten Mal gelesen.
Leider hat man sich mit der Übersetzung/Lektorierung hier keinerlei Mühe gegeben, denn das Buch strotzt nur so vor Fehlern. Falsche Buchstaben, fehlende Buchstaben, Zeitfehler.
Von einem großen Verlag wie Heyne erwarte ich da doch etwas mehr …
Trotz allem habe ich dieses Buch seh
Kyle Edworthy
Aug 12, 2008 rated it did not like it
One of the few books I've ever read and not been able to finish. It seems to me this story suffers from a case of main character syndrome, where the main character is able to overcome any adversity with ease and places him so far above any other character in the literary universe of Star Wars that nothing can ever come close to him. I read through the first half of the book and found that I had no intrest in continuing on.
Chad
Dec 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is genuinely baffling to me because I find myself enjoying it despite the fact that the story is kind of a mess. By all rights this should have been a complete fail for me but I made my way through a fairly hefty (for a Star Wars installment) novel pretty readily.

To start, I'm not a huge fan of first person narratives and I think that mode is a bad idea for Star Wars. I think one aspect of the universe that works well is being able to jump across the landscape of the story and see man
Shala
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars! I found this book wholly enjoyable. I seriously think that this book would make a fantastic one off film for the franchise. I loved Corran as a character very much! His journey was an interesting one to be on!
Brice James
A fountain of detailed Star Wars lore about how the galaxy and the Force work, feel, and effect individual people? Yes. A well-arranged story with effective prose and believable dialogue? No.
(I highly recommend that you read Kevin J. Anderson's "Jedi Academy" trilogy before this book, because they take place at the exact same time, and Mr. Anderson describes the shared events much more effectively.)
Jocelyn
Dec 11, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Based solely on plot, I thought this book had potential. The general idea was well thought-out and the events in the story exciting. However, none of that could redeem the terrible characterization--I spent a portion of my middle school years reading fanfiction and the main character, Corran/Keiran reeks of self-insert Sue.

Where do I begin? Perhaps the fact that Stackpole finds the need to make Corran the special one. Super rare energy-absorbing Jedi abilities? Check. Special silver lightsaber t
Michael Joosten
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My review here should be taken with a grain of salt, because rereading I, Jedi now is as much about digging up old Star Wars memories (from when there were no more than one, maybe two prequels) as it is about the book itself. Reading some of the other reviews here, I see critiques that make sense to me. This may not be a perfect book...

...but I still like it, by and large.

I like Corran Horn, though. If you DON'T like him, you're dead in the water here, because Corran isn't just the protagonist,
Charity
Apr 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Star Wars fans, sci-fi fans
Recommended to Charity by: Crystal Starr Light
This is definitely my favorite out of the four Star Wars novels I have read. I had read the Thrawn Triology by Timothy Zahn and even though the storyline was good, I didn't like the writing. That was the case with this book. I really liked how the story was told in first person because it really made Corran more realistic. I really liked Corran as a character and am going to look into more books with him in it. I actually liked him better than Luke Skywalker.

I really enjoyed this book and when I
Joseph
Sep 08, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-wars
A solid 3 or 3.5. The book is very long in paperback, something like 579 or something. It is in 1st person (no idea why) of one of Luke's Jedi apprentices from the trilogy The Jedi Academy, which really wasn't that great...but his version is actually better then the other 3 books. This book is about how this guy's wife is kidnapped and his quest to get her back. Overall that book is pretty good and well written. There are some good action in it and I like how he takes some of the Star Wars books ...more
LOL_BOOKS
WHY DOES SW_MEME HATE I, JEDI?

BECAUSE IT'S ABOUT STACKPOLE'S SELF-INSERT THAT KNOWS SOOOOOO MUCH MOAR THAN EVERYONE ELSE AND KNOWS SO MUCH BETTER ABOUT EVERYTHING AND IS COMPLETELY FUCKING OBNOXIOUS. I APPROVE OF STACKPOLE TRYING TO FIX SOME OF THE MOAR RIDICULOUS SHIT, AND HE HAS THE PROPER VIEW OF THINGS LIKE KYP, BUT OVERALL THE BOOK IS A WANNABE PRETENTIOUS PIECE OF CRAP AND NECKBEARDS FUCKING LOVED IT.

IMAGINE THE SMUGGEST FIX-IT FIC YOU COULD. IMAGINE WRITING IN YOUR MARY SUE SMUGLY TELLING
Haley Grizzell
Feb 03, 2012 rated it did not like it
Just plain awful. I'm not a hater of science fiction, but this is such an annoying book to read. All the characters do when they are faced with a challenge is sit around and debate about what to do, never actually do something. And when they do something, all it is is moping around. Not to mention, the main character flirts with a minor character after his wife is kidnapped.
Steven
Feb 27, 2012 rated it did not like it
I don't know how anyone can think this was a good book. Sure the writing was ok but the author knows nothing of the star wars universe. Who knew you could become a jedi in a matter of weeks and then portray Luke as an incompetent idiot. Convinced me to never read a book by this author ever again.
Timothy
Feb 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, star-wars
One of all time favorite star wars books written by my favorite battletech aithor's.
Rooney
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
Travis
Jan 15, 2018 rated it liked it
The author has many writing strengths and they shine in many spots throughout the book. However, while I generally liked the book and it had a decent pace, it felt like two abridged books that would have been great on their own: the first half about experiences with Jedi training at Luke's academy, which I liked a good deal and thought was too short, and the second half leaving the academy and seeking out the missing wife, which is essentially some passing time with random missions and stirring ...more
Jaden.Obrien
Oct 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Theresa
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adventure, fantasy
Corran and Mirax Horn are two of my all time favorite Star Wars characters. So in the beginning when this book was about them trying to decide to have kids, I was overcome with glee. Then Mirax went missing. Oops. Should have seen that coming.

Then Corran went off to Luke's Jedi academy. I was intrigued because I had just finished a trilogy that involved the Jedi academy. I didn't realize it was an overlapping story. Do you want to know why I didn't? Because Corran was using a false name. He was
Jenny T
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was MUCH better than I expected! I've never been a real fan of Corran Horn--he's always seemed to be the author's golden boy and hard to relate to. I'm so glad this book changed my mind. I liked Corran here (except for a quibble, which I'll get to in a moment). His awkward relationship with his father-in-law and devotion to his wife. His fantastic argument with Luke Skywalker, when Luke told Corran he was on the road to the Dark Side--(view spoiler) ...more
Jacqueline O.
Shaun
Aug 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
  • Starfighters of Adumar (Star Wars: X-Wing, #9)
  • The Unifying Force (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #19)
  • Star Wars: Survivor's Quest
  • Conquest (Edge of Victory, #1) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #7)
  • Star by Star (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #9)
  • Traitor (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #13)
  • Destiny's Way (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #14)
  • Showdown at Centerpoint (Star Wars: The Corellian Trilogy, #3)
  • Reunion (Force Heretic, #3) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #17)
  • Slave Ship (Star Wars: The Bounty Hunter Wars, #2)

Star Wars Universe (1 - 10 of 48 books)
  • Red Harvest
  • Knight Errant
  • Jedi vs. Sith
  • Darth Plagueis
  • Secrets of the Jedi
  • The Rise and Fall of Darth Vader (Star Wars)
  • Star Wars: Darth Maul
  • Cloak of Deception (Star Wars)
  • The Truce at Bakura (Star Wars)
  • Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor (Star Wars)
“Life itself was hard enough without monosynaptic sociopaths preying on folks.” 24 likes
“If you can't recognize the man in the mirror, it is time to step back and see when you stopped being yourself.” 7 likes