Start by marking “Awakening at Midlife: A Guide to Reviving Your Spirit, Recreating Your Life, and Returning to Your Truest Self” as Want to Read:

Fraught with physical, relational, professional, and psychological changes, midlife can be a challenging time. But according to Jungian-oriented psychotherapist Kathleen Brehony, "tranformation at midlife offers unparalleled opportunities for a rich, meaningful second half of life."With special sections on recovering childhood dreams, enriching creative expression, learnin ...more
Published September 1st 1997 by Riverhead Books (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Awakening at Midlife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Awakening at Midlife

Kathy Winterburn
Aug 31, 2009 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful and compassionate book for those of us in midlife. She uses a metaphor that I particularly like(it's long!) :

"At midlife we are like a caterpillar,incapable of stretching
anymore,shedding its skin and entering into a crysalis where
it rests and creates the fluids necessary that will become
the wings and body of the butterfly. When it is ready, it
splits open, pumps fluids into it's body and begins to fly.
The emergence of the butterfly...demands the sacrifice of
the caterpilla
Victoria
Sep 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is an excellent resource for ways in which to help yourself toward self-actualization during the so-called mid-life crisis. She relies heavily on Jungian psychology (fine with me; I love Jung), but also balances it with the Eastern traditions as well as Christian. There is A LOT of food for thought in here as well as an abundance of further things to look into and read in her copious notes.
Wendy
Feb 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Ran into a friend who always has a good read that opens my mind and heart further. So far, lots of discussion about Jung psychology and also the importance of being present, which I dig!

--She requested it back, I never read too far into the dreamwork chapters but understood where the book was going.
May 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Lots of Jungian Psychology—the hero's journey. An enjoyable read and full of strategies for transforming life after mid-life.
Glenda
Oct 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book came highly recommended by a friend. So far I can see why. I'll update as I progress through it.
Donna
Melinda
Sep 05, 2014
Jan 15, 2017
Kathy Adams
Money well spent!!! This book has tons of great food for thought and would benefit anyone, any age!
Feb 15, 2015