Start by marking “Around the World” as Want to Read:
Around the World

Around the World

2.88  ·  Rating details ·  17 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
A fantastic journey around the world is about to begin. Starting in downtown New York and traveling to Australia, China, Turkey, Serbia, Nigeria, France, Brazil, Canada, Puerto Rico, and back to New York again, kids play their hearts out in a grueling, winner-take-all, pick-up basketball game. Full court passes in a gym in Shanghai are effortlessly picked off in Istanbul w ...more
Published November 1st 2005 by Lee & Low Books

To ask other readers questions about Around the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Around the World

J-Lynn

This book seamlessly transitions to nine different basketball games happening between children in different countries to make it seem like one game is being played around the world. The readers see basketball played in New York City, Canada, Puerto Rico, Brazil, France, Serbia, Turkey, Nigeria, and China.

The illustrations are in a loose graphic novel style using bold colors in acrylic on canvas. This book would be an excellent introduction to graphic novels and a strong independent read for a tr
Josianne Fitzgerald
I'm not a basketball player so most of the terms here were unfamiliar but I loved the idea that basketball is an universal language, played with equal enthusiasm around the world.
Grosso
Dec 02, 2011 rated it it was ok
Gabe really likes this book and both kids like the maps and different countries visited. I find the writing difficult and you need to know basketball terms, including slang. It also has a comic book feel, which is not my favorite but the kids both enjoy the pictures.
Jan 04, 2011 rated it liked it
Great graphics!This book doesn't make a lot of sense to me, I just don't know basketball well enough, I guess. I could see it becoming a favorite of some students.
Machim
BookDB
Nov 08, 2016
Joyce
Feb 01, 2017
John Coy is the author of young adult novels, the 4 for 4 middle-grade series, and fiction and nonfiction picture books. His most recent books are Their Great Gift, a story about immigration with striking photographs by Wing Young Huie and Gap Life, a YA novel about a boy whose parents will pay for college as long as he studies what they want.
John has received numerous awards for his work includi
More about John Coy...