Start by marking “Bound by a Mighty Vow: Sisterhood and Women's Fraternities, 1870-1920” as Want to Read:
Bound by a Mighty Vow: Sisterhood and Women's Fraternities, 1870-1920

Bound by a Mighty Vow: Sisterhood and Women's Fraternities, 1870-1920

Sororities are often thought of as exclusive clubs for socially inclined college students, but Bound by a Mighty Vow, a history of the women's Greek system, demonstrates that these organizations have always served more serious purposes. Diana Turk explores the founding and development of the earliest sororities (then called women's fraternities) and explains how these grou ...more
Published June 21st 2004 by New York University Press (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Bound by a Mighty Vow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bound by a Mighty Vow

Start your review of Bound by a Mighty Vow: Sisterhood and Women's Fraternities, 1870-1920
Samantha
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very cool to know more about the women's fraternity I am apart of. It was educational to learn why women's fraternities formed and just what the culture was during that time in history for women in college.
Holly
Feb 17, 2016 rated it it was ok
As a high school student, I did not find this book particularly entertaining. The mountainous feel was set in place by the author’s tone. Their was a continual stringing together of facts, and quotes from outside resources. Yes indeed this book is nonfiction, but the author gives no characters, or setting to follow. The only sense of consistency in the reading was the progression of the the first sorority Kappa Alpha Theta. The flow of this book is similar to textbooks found in the classroom. A ...more
Jessica
Jan 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: history
3 1/2 stars
As a historian, I think that this was a well-written albeit brief survey. I question her tendency to apply the history of Kappa Alpha Theta to all NPC sororities. I am curious to know why she chose Theta to focus on, as she is not affiliated. I wonder if that happened to be who would let her have access to their archives.
As a fraternity woman (Alpha Gamma Delta), I was less impressed. I believe that the first generation women's organisations do generally follow the history set out. H
Betsy Whitehead
Mar 07, 2013 rated it did not like it
Our Theta alumnae group decided to read this and discuss at a meeting. Not one of us read the whole book! It had more footnotes than actual writing. It was the author just stringing together quotes from other sources. I was horribly disappointed! This was much more a research paper of the author's than a story or history of fraternities.
Stefanie
Feb 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I am a member of Kappa Alpha Theta and found this book to be utterly amazing. I read it shortly after my new member period and learned a ton about sorority life and the history of my sorority. I would suggest this book to anyone in Student Affairs or anyone interested in the history of sororities.
Abby
Sep 25, 2009 rated it liked it
The history contained in this book is very interesting. Written by an unaffiliated women researching mostly only the history of Kappa Alpha Theta, the conclusions she draws must be read with a critical eye. This is not the whole picture albeit one interesting perspective.
Aug 31, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I read the first chapter and lost interest. I skimmed the rest and reviewed the notes. It is much more a book about the history of Kappa Alpha Theta. It is well researched and a well accounted history along with being unbiased.
Mary
Jun 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Awesome! Well researched.
Logan
Jan 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I am very much enjoying this book. A little different, as it it is about a fairly narrow topic, but I am learning a lot!!
Jen
Feb 18, 2009 rated it liked it
Good book for work
Kylie Towers
May 02, 2007 rated it really liked it
Fabulous - if only because it came out at the same time as that trashy book "Pledged." Finally some historic validity to a seemingly dated institution that has so much to give. Figure that one out...
Ashleigh Morris
Nov 24, 2015
Christina
Dec 03, 2008
Leilani
rated it did not like it
Jan 18, 2014