Start by marking “Micronations: the Lonely Planet guide to self-proclaimed nations” as Want to Read:
Micronations: the Lonely Planet guide to self-proclaimed nations

Micronations: the Lonely Planet guide to self-proclaimed nations

Bored of visiting the same UN-recognized countries? Ready to explore somewhere unique and perhaps a little wacky? Want to add some really rare stamps to your passport? Then let Lonely Planet's guide to home made nations take you to a bunch of places you've never heard of. Here are countries where the national anthem is the sound of a rock being dropped into water, where th ...more
Published September 1st 2006 by Lonely Planet

To ask other readers questions about Micronations, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Micronations

Claire
Jun 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, travel
First half was way more interesting than second half. Cool history vs stunts. Could see a tv series based on some if these places.
Ryan
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
A silly little travel guide those tiny little countries that have been wholly invented by their bored rulers over the last century. The Principality of Sealand gets top billing here, and the countries get less and less legitimate as it goes on from there, until you get to the countries that exist solely online or inside a corgi-owner's caravan.

I appreciate the seriousness with which the authors treat these nations. It's presented as a serious travel guide, which every country getting its own Pla
Nathan Albright
Jun 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: challenge
As someone who has read my fair share of travel guides [1], I found this to be an amusing and brief discussion of micro nations, or those claimed states that are often run with a sense of lightheartedness. The scope of the book does not include those nations with legitimate historical grievances, like Somaliland [2], although at least one of the micro nations stated here did have troubled relations with that state, but rather those nations that have been made up in relatively contemporary times ...more
DoctorM
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
A wonderful guide to a list of whimsical, clever, hilarious, and sometimes sad places that have declared themselves to be "micro-nations"--- self-proclaimed republics and kingdoms created as tax protests, nationalist dreams, tourist traps, political performance art, and vanity projects. Well, the Whangamomona Republic on the North Island of NZ has a Republic Day, a post office, part-time border guards equipped with water pistols, and issues passports ($NZ 3). That makes its 1.6 sq km at least as ...more
Derrick Feinman
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Inspirational
Giuliano
Jan 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Interesting and well researched little guide about famous (and not-so-famous) Micronations. This Lonely Planet guide will take you to iconic places such as The Republic of Molossia, Christiania and Sealand where you will learn about rather eccentric individuals who decided to secede – some more seriously than others – from the Mother Country and to found their own nation.
The guide itself reads much like any other Lonely Planet book, with dedicated sections on the history, geography, population,
Vy
Mar 26, 2010 rated it liked it
What a fun little book! This unique "travel guide" is a little compendium of micronations: non-UN-sanctioned states with self-proclaimed rulers. I did a lot of head shaking, eye-rolling, chuckling, and jaw dropping as I read this. Some of it is so bizarre that I thought surely someone had made it up! Well, come to think of it, I guess they did. Some of my favorites were The Republic of Molossia, Aerican Empire, and the Kingdom of Elleore.

I don't think I could have read it at one sitting, but it
Erok
Nov 28, 2009 rated it liked it
A fun read on an interesting topic. although it's a cute and humorous way to present the information, i kept wishing that the book wasn't set up like a travel guide. really, most of these places none of us are going to visit, and i'm more fascinated with the phenomena than actually visiting. i don't know if there is a more academic version of these micro nations and how they came to be or what causes people to create them, but i'd be interested to read it.

a good introduction to the subject
Mike
Sep 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
A fun little romp through the tiniest nations, the ones that don't even really exist except in the minds of their creators and the agreement of others to acknowledge them. ("Others," in this case, pretty much never includes 'real' nations.) It's hilarious because it's written with a good deal of self-consciousness, in true Lonely Planet style.

Sadly, a little difficult to come by.
(a)lyss(a)
Nov 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Travelers
A funny manuel if you ever want to take up a new citizenship. Not strictly for humor, but a good way to laugh and look into future travels.
Aude
Jul 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars, non-fiction
I may or may not have started my own country in my parents' garden after reading this book.
Ellen
Jul 31, 2015 rated it liked it
Such a fun book. I hope to be hanging out in Whangamomona sometime soon, even with its risqué reputation for billy goat assassinations.
Adam
Aug 14, 2011 rated it liked it
An entertaining troll through micro-nations, unfortunately most of the coolest sounding of which are now extinct.
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
Nov 30, 2009 marked it as decided-not-to-read
Shelves: poli-sci, travel
I was hoping this was about imaginary countries without actual territorial pretensions. Unfortunately, it turned out to be about countries that are trying to be real, à la Sealand.
May 27, 2014