Start by marking “Dicta and Contradicta” as Want to Read:
Dicta and Contradicta

Dicta and Contradicta

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  79 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
A woman is more than just her exterior. The lingerie is also important. The mission of the press is to spread culture while destroying the attention span. Art serves to rinse out our eyes. Uniquely combining humor with profundity and venom with compassion, Dicta and Contradicta is a bonanza of scandalous wit from Vienna's answer to Oscar Wilde. From the decadent turn of th ...more
Published May 10th 2001 by University of Illinois Press (first published 1909)

To ask other readers questions about Dicta and Contradicta, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dicta and Contradicta

S©aP
Si perde un po' per strada, questo volume. Ma vale. Il prorompere della I GM, fatalmente, condiziona le riflessioni, verso la fine. I pensieri diventano più estesi, sofferti, necessariamente circostanziati alla realtà sociopolitica austriaca e tedesca. I riferimenti ai personaggi dell'epoca (spesso a noi sconosciuti) allontanano il lettore odierno dall'immediata condivisione. E la scoppiettante dinamica iniziale della raccolta viene un po' meno.
Ma i primi due terzi della lettura sono sorprenden
Vittorio Ducoli
Dec 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quando l'epoca levò la mano contro di sé, quella mano era la sua

Il titolo di questa recensione non è mio, ma di Bertolt Brecht, e secondo me riassume magnificamente (e come poteva essere altrimenti, vista la fonte?) il ruolo e la funzione intellettuale che Karl Kraus ha esercitato a Vienna negli anni che vanno dalla fine dell'800 alla prima guerra mondiale e sino al 1936, anno della morte.
E' questo il periodo in cui Kraus pubblica i 922 numeri (20.000 pagine, traggo da wikipedia) di Die Fackel,
Maurizio Manco
Oct 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Perché scrive certa gente? Perché non ha abbastanza carattere per non scrivere." (p. 143)
Tosh
May 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
I read "Dicta and Contradicta" right after reading Wittgenstein's aphorisms and comparing the two, I find Wittgenstein more biting and also beautifully written. Reading the essay by Johnathan McVity that is in the back of the book, makes me want to read more of Karl Krauss. But still, I find these collection of aphorisms by Krauss vulgar. But that I believe is due to the age and times of Vienna cultural and political life. He lived in dangerous times, and one can feel that he was spitting at tho ...more
Walter
Apr 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
If you want to give a high school/college graduate a useful graduation gift this spring… this book is it.

Nothing about this book is false. Some of it is wrong and untrue, but not false; thus the contradiction(s): it’s all in the application.
He even implicates himself with his words.

As such, I say: Such is the fate of honesty, it’s always moving, hence the harsh rub from a distance.
Filippo
Jan 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Too many good quotes to write. I'll pass this time.
Just this one:

-If, after lots of years, one knows from which particular classic drama and from which act a certain quote was taken, school failed. But if someone knows where that quote could fit, then the person is very educated and school didn't failed.
Mark
Mar 09, 2010 rated it did not like it
Not having any German, I'm forced to rely on reviews by scholars and friends whose work I respect --and they are unanimous in judging this translation so bad as to be worthless. A comparison between the text here and that of earlier translations reveals problems of diction and style as well as serial betrayal by "false friends".

Too bad. We need more Karl Kraus!

Tim
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: semi-skimmed
Vienna reading. Kraus appeals to me strongly as described by others - pugnacious, arrogant, disagreeable, independent, brilliant - but I didn't enjoy these effortful aphorisms at all. They seem either obscure, obvious or silly mostly. Maybe Franzen or Szasz will change my mind. I hope so.
Ffiamma
May 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
guai a quei tempi in cui l'arte non rende malsicura la terra e davanti all'abisso che separa l'artista dall'uomo vengono le vertigini all'artista e non all'uomo!
Marco Apollonio
  • Love's Body
  • The Flame of a Candle
  • The Romantic Agony
  • Anathemas and Admirations
  • El superhombre de masas: Retórica e ideología en la novela popular
  • Ornament and Crime: Selected Essays
  • The Hunter Gracchus: And Other Papers on Literature and Art
  • Lettere luterane: il progresso come falso progresso
  • Hideous Absinthe: A History of the Devil in a Bottle
  • Sade My Neighbor
  • فلسفة الفن
  • Mystical Poems of Rumi
  • The Difficulty of Being
  • Courage Under Fire: Testing Epictetus's Doctrines in a Laboratory of Human Behavior
  • Wittgenstein's Vienna
  • Fin-de-Siècle Vienna: Politics and Culture
  • Die Welt als Wille und Vorstellung
  • Vita d'un uomo - Tutte le poesie
Karl Kraus was an Austrian writer and journalist, known as a satirist, essayist, aphorist, playwright and poet. He is considered the first major European satirist since Jonathan Swift. He directed his satire to the press, German culture, and German and Austrian politics.
“Wo nehm ich nur all die Zeit her, so viel nicht zu lesen?” 2 likes