Start by marking “Vegan on the Cheap” as Want to Read:
Vegan on the Cheap

Vegan on the Cheap

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  1,518 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
The ultimate vegan budget cookbook! Roberson provides easy recipes for delicious food that costs no more than $2 per serving!
Title: Vegan on the Cheap
Author: Robertson, Robin
Publisher: John Wiley & Sons Inc
Publication Date: 2010/04/19
Number of Pages: 258
Binding Type: PAPERBACK
Library of Congress: 2009015988
Published April 2nd 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Vegan on the Cheap, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vegan on the Cheap

Lisa Vegan
May 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everybody who appreciates inexpensive and easy to prepare meals
Recommended to Lisa by: Lee
I bought this because of the “cheap” description, but much to my delight most of these recipes are easy to make too, and many look incredibly delicious.

I rely too much on convenience foods, which are sometimes less healthy and are almost always more expensive than making things from scratch. I’m fortunate to live in an area with many wonderful vegan restaurants, but it’s expensive to eat out, so I’m trying to spend less on my meals at home and save most of the splurges for when I do dine out.

Th
Katey
Oct 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People on a budget who want to feed their family well
Shelves: cookbooks
I have yet to make any recipes from this book, but just browsing through them they seem like they'll be decent. The other info in the book is pretty much right on the mark, and definitely provides good and practical advice for those vegans who need to budget, if you haven't already figured it out. I also appreciated the section titled "No Skimping Allowed," which names certain ingredients you should NEVER go the cheap way on, such as extra virgin olive oil, buying pure maple syrup, no imitation ...more
Blakely
Jun 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book is good - I recommend it. So far most of the recipes I've tried have been winners and several have been added to our frequently cooked recipe rotations.

Below are our comments on the recipes we've made so far.

Cheezee Sauce - We made this as a sub-recipe for some other recipe. I thought Chreese (from Roads End Organic) is better, I would probably just make that moving forward instead of the sauce

Almost Instant Chickpea Tomato Soup - This was really good! the only bad thing was that even
Evanston Public  Library
I have been on a cookbook kick lately, and although this one of the least flashy of the bunch (certainly not as hip or cool as Veganomicon), this is one of my favorites. Even though this book has no pictures, it has some simple recipes that do not cost much. The recipe that most made me giggle was "Cheapamole." As Ms. Robertson reiterates, avocados can be expensive, so her unique combination of frozen peas, white beans and other ingredients created an inexpensive faux-mole that can be served to ...more
Bunnyhugger
1/31/2011 - I made two recipes from this last night and invited two friends to be my guinea pigs. The Baked Mac and Cheeze recipe looked quite simple but it had a fairly long list of ingredients. To avoid getting flustered, a couple of hours before I started cooking I laid out the ingredients on the kitchen table, measuring some, and making the bread crumbs. When I did start cooking I felt like I was on a TV show where it looks so effortless because all the prep work has been done! Coming out of ...more
Laurie
Jul 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: delectable
This gem of a cookbook from Robin Robertson starts off with some really helpful tips on how to save money on your grocery shopping and menu planning.`

Recipe Sections are divided into Basics, Soups/Stews, Salads, Noodles, Skillet Dishes, Bakes/Casseroles, Pizzas/Burgers/Sandwiches, Slow-Cooker Dishes & Desserts.

I've been cooking from this book for less than a month and have seen a decrease in my weekly grocery bill. Everything I've tried so far has been pretty yummy.

~French Lentil Chili
~Smoky
Denni
May 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
I'm not ready to take this one back to the library. There are some great meatless recipes- just what I was looking for. Handy Hummus p.44,Pot of Beans p.46, Rice Two Ways p.47, Southwestern Black Bean and Corn Chowder p. 68 (really good),Summer Garden Soup p. 69, Black & White Bean Chili p.78, Salsa Rice and Red (used Black) Beans p. 132 Curried Red Bean Pilaf with Walnuts and Raisins P. 133,Coconut Curry Rice p. 134, Three Bean Loaf p. 155, Very Veggie Burgers p. 179
Virginia Messina
May 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I just reviewed this on the examiner site today. Lots of great recipes and good tips for saving both time and money.
Robin
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Practical Recipes

Using everyday ingredients to make easy and tasty looking vegan recipes at home. Some convenience foods like canned goods used but overall practical recipes that anyone might enjoy.
Heather
Aug 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I have several vegan/vegetarian cookbooks, but I know that this one will be my go-to. The premise behind this cookbook is that every recipe ends up costing $2 or less per serving. However, this does assume that you have a decently stocked pantry already. For example, if you are going to be making the Stovetop Cheezee Mac but don't already have nutritional yeast, that alone will set you back about $13.

I've only tried a handful of recipes from the hundreds that are in this book, but I have not bee
Amber
Sep 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
The beganning part about how to save ect I knew most of but for those who arejust venturing into the saving money and cooking I think it was good info to know and have on hand. I like how the recipes are easy and basic and made with basic staples most people have on a regular basis in their home. Even for meat eaters who's out to try something new it has stuff they can easily make and try out with without having to go to whole foods and such stores looking for that random ingredient you've never ...more
Philip Jenks
Mar 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
incredible: great for vegans, nonvegans - it's a really useful book for whenever I'm broke as hell and that's most of the time. and the food tastes wonderful. I use Molly Katzen's work as well but find her Moosewood recipes more complex and time consuming. Robertson senses time - and economizes it as well. That may sound "capitalistic" of me but hell, I work a lot and cooking taketh time.

another great thing is - this is fantastic for the omnivore with the sort of classic "americana" taste. old
West Hartford Public Library
Feb 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kari
This book lives up to it's title- these are fast, easy, and cheap vegan recipes that everyone will love. You can save a lot of money because most of the ingredients are items that you probably already have at home (if not, they can be easily located at your local supermarket). I liked this so much that I bought a copy to keep at home! Highlights are the stove top mac and 'cheese' and pumpkin cake with chocolate glaze.
Jessica
Jul 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Great cookbook! All the recipes so far have been wonderful (except the one I messed up on, totally my fault). Has great money saving tips that should have been obvious to me, but were not. Her seitan recipes are outstanding. After a previous attempt to make it myself, I had given up, but Robin's recipes keep it simple. This is going to be my go-to cookbook for a long time and has definitely helped me save money on vegan food.
Karen!
Oct 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I really liked this book. This is, obviously, a book about saving money on food, and it gives great recipes that cut back on cost without cutting back on variety, fun, or flavor. The top of each page give a approximate amount per serving, with nothing coming out to more than $2 per serving. After the recipe, there are sometimes "splurges" or substitutions that would make the meal more expensive, but might be worth it to some people.

I will definitely be cooking from this book!
Davida
Apr 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking
I love the <$2 per serving recipes. All delicious and easy and mostly using ingredients I already have in my house. Very encouraging and friendly tone makes this cookbook even more enjoyable.

Have made savory sausage and peppers, farfalle with cabbage and white beans, hearty lentil stew - all yummy.
David Tan
Many vegan books are great and creative, but they ask for ingredients that are quite expensive. Also, since many vegetables have gone up in price since the publishing of other vegan books, it makes it almost impractical to anyone on even a moderate budget. This book is both simple in preparation and the inexpensive ingredients can be found pretty much in any standard American grocery store.
Carrie Schindele Cupples
Mar 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
Only made one recipe so far but love how she makes everything from simple ingredients. Looking through the others, I found plenty to try. Thriftiness in her approach is just an added bonus.

Edit: I've now made the seitan loaf and the cheezy sauce -- very good and balanced takes on staple-type recipes.
Joan
Apr 04, 2016 rated it liked it
This was a library book and I had to take a photo of the one recipe I'd planned to try because I had to return it. The recipes definitely are inexpensive and I look forward to owning the book so I can try more recipes. I may change the rating when I can try out some of them.
Marian
May 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cook
Some of the advice seemed pretty obvious, like make big bathces of dried beans or brown rice. But the tips on where to buy products and the recipes were good. Many vegan cookbooks do not factor in diabetics--
Bess
Sep 25, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Only deducted a star because there were no recipes in the ENTIRE book...but can't wait to whip up all these delicious and affordable vegan creations...wide range of cuisines which I really appreciate.
Deyara
Jun 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Lots of recipes I want to try, and she gives good tips on how to make nice food cheaply. No pictures, which is a little annoying as I am not a cook and dont really know what half of these things are supposed to look like.
Deb
Apr 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
The French Lentil Chili is easy and delicious (recipe here: http://kahakaikitchen.blogspot.com/20...) and I have several others tagged to make. Next up Lemony Garlic Chickpea Patties I think. A good guide to easy vegan recipes on a budget.
F. P.
May 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It is what it says: low-cost (and mostly easy) vegan recipes.

I cannot stop eating and desiring the Corned Seitan And Cabbage (I modify the recipe because I don't have a slow cooker).

Wish I had a personal chef who could make that dish for me every day lol.
Kerri
May 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: vegan-cookbooks
I tried and loved the following recipes:
- Chocolate Blueberry Crumble - so good and so easy!
- Chocolate Surprise Brownies
- Lemony Garlic Chickpea Patties
- Pumpkin Spice Cake with Chocolate Glaze
- Sesame Shortbread Cookies
- Faux Parm
- Wheatballs
Dana
Aug 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
No photos. Recipes not my taste.
LemontreeLime
Mar 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Some good ideas.
Melissa
Apr 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommended to Melissa by: topy1991@msn.com
There are quite a few recipes in the book, but they're a bit exotic for our tastes.
Pam
Jan 06, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great tips in here for using every bit of what you buy and there's some recipes in here that sound good.
Jacqueline
Jan 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great recipes once again. If you are looking to make some vegan meals and save money doing it, this is the book to get!
  • Supermarket Vegan: 225 Meat-Free, Egg-Free, Dairy-Free Recipes for Real People in the Real World
  • Vegan Diner: Classic Comfort Food for the Body and Soul
  • The Complete Guide to Vegan Food Substitutions: Veganize It!  Foolproof Methods for Transforming Any Dish into a Delicious New Vegan Favorite
  • The 30-Minute Vegan: Over 175 Quick, Delicious, and Healthy Recipes for Everyday Cooking
  • The Vegan Slow Cooker: Simply Set It and Go with 150 Recipes for Intensely Flavorful, Fuss-Free Fare Everyone (Vegan or Not!) Will Devour
  • Vegan Express
  • Color Me Vegan: Maximize Your Nutrient Intake and Optimize Your Health by Eating Antioxidant-Rich, Fiber-Packed, Color-Intense Meals That Taste Great
  • My Sweet Vegan: passionate about dessert
  • The 100 Best Vegan Baking Recipes: Amazing Cookies, Cakes, Muffins, Pies, Brownies and Breads
  • Vegan Yum Yum Decadent (But Doable) Animal-Free Recipes for Entertaining and Everyday
  • Quick and Easy Vegan Comfort Food: 65 Everyday Meal Ideas for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner with Over 150 Great-Tasting, Down-Home Recipes
  • Eat Vegan on $4.00 a Day
  • Vegan Eats World: 300 International Recipes for Savoring the Planet
  • The Vegan Scoop: 150 Recipes for Dairy-Free Ice Cream that Tastes Better Than the "Real" Thing
  • Vegan Pie in the Sky: 75 Out-of-This-World Recipes for Pies, Tarts, Cobblers, Crumbles, and More
  • The Vegan Girl's Guide to Life: Cruelty-Free Crafts, Recipes, Beauty Secrets and More
  • The Best Veggie Burgers on the Planet: 101 Globally Inspired Vegan Creations Packed with Fresh Flavors and Exciting New Tastes
  • Yellow Rose Recipes
An experienced chef and consultant, Robin Robertson worked for many years in restaurants and catering in northeastern Pennsylvania and Charleston, South Carolina before she began writing cookbooks. In 1988, she left the restaurant business and became vegan for ethical reasons. She then rededicated her life to writing and teaching gourmet vegan cooking.

Over the years, she has fine-tuned her plant-b
More about Robin G. Robertson...