Start by marking “I'm a Big Brother” as Want to Read:
I'm a Big Brother

I'm a Big Brother

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  593 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
"Someone new is at our house," begins this loving, reassuring celebration of brotherhood from trusted author Joanna Cole.

Told through the eyes of a new older brother, this simple story lays out all the good things about being an older sibling, and just how exciting welcoming a new member to the family can be.

With an author's note about what big siblings need—extra guidance
Published January 5th 2010 by HarperFestival (first published April 25th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about I'm a Big Brother, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

midnightfaerie
Great book for young kids about to have siblings. I bought this for my son when he was 3 and about to have twin brothers. It was a huge transition and this book helped. We put it down for awhile and then 2 yrs later we read it again. This time my son is 5 yrs old and read it on his own. Now he smiles as he talks about all the ways he's a big helper concerning his younger brothers. This book really makes him feel good about himself. Somewhere around a level 1 reader, it's too easy for him, but st ...more
Rachael
Jan 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: soon-to-be big brothers
Recommended to Rachael by: my Uncle
My uncle sent this to my son after we announced my pregnancy, and Kiddo loved it immediately. We've read it several times since, and I am struck each time how positively it presents the idea of becoming a big brother. Cole acknowledges that newborns don't do very much that's interesting at first, and that they're a lot of work, but she also shows how big brothers can be actively involved in helping.

What I like best is that the book reassures the child that he is no less important than before th
Jaclyn Harrison
Feb 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
I, personally, don't think the writing is so great, but my 2-year old loves this book and he is really the intended audience. I have about 4 weeks left until baby brother arrives, so it's the perfect time to start introducing these type of books to my son. He asks that we read the "big brother" book to him several times every night.

I was pleasantly surprised to see the author is also the author of The Magic School Bus books. So, I'm hoping this means he'll enjoy those books too when he is older!
Hααℓєу♡ Ƒιѕнєя
This book is good for little kids. It has a repetitive dialogue that is good for younger kids. The two year old I read it too repeated what I said and pointed at the pictures.

It's also good for explaining the differences/ challenges of having a new baby around and the responsibilities of being an older sibling.
Brittany
Jul 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was surprised that this was Alistair's favorite book about becoming a big brother before baby came. I feel like this book and Daniel Tiger helped prep him the most.
Asho
May 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A new baby is on the way at our house and I told our (awesome!) children's librarian that I am expecting our second child. She immediately grabbed this book for my son.
It's a great introduction to the concept of brotherhood for a young child. My son is two and it's right at his level. The language and concepts are very simple, and the illustrations have a lot of elements that appeal to him so he likes reading this book again and again so that he can point out the teddy bear, the picture of the p
Diressa Belcher
Oct 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: point-of-view
A baby is born! You know what that means, someone is a big brother. The nameless big brother in the story is gloating on his new brother. He likes to hold, feed and talk to him. The big brother is extremely happy to learn everything about the baby. His parents make him a huge part of the new baby’s life. They encourage him to love him as much as possible. The big brother understands that babies are little and they cannot do a lot. The big brother says he can eat ice cream, run, play and talk. He ...more
Brittany

“I’m a Big Brother” written by Joanna Cole and illustrated by Maxie Chambliss is a great children’s story for parents and children welcoming a new member to the family; a baby! In the eyes of an older brother, the sibling explains what it is like for the new baby to come home. He tells all about the new things the baby can and can’t do along with why the new baby is so special. With Joanna Cole’s great tips and Maxie Chambliss’ beautiful illustrations this book really helps families bring home t
Kelly Woodward
Aug 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: worth-a-reread
I found a copy of an older edition of I’m a Big Brother at a local library book sale while pregnant with my second child. After flipping through it, I realized that it was the perfect way to introduce my older son to the idea of having a baby in the house. It reminded him that he was once a baby, unable to do lots of things, and that he has more abilities and privileges now that he’s “big.” It gave him a crash course in what to expect with a newborn; crying is covered matter-of-factly and explai ...more
Alexandria
Apr 10, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s-books
There are a huge number of books to help children prepare for their impending siblings. This is probably not one of the best you can find. The writing is simplistic, so unless the child is only one or two, they're going to get bored. At the very least, the three year old I read it to was pretty bored. And any older than that and they may actually tune it out like his five year old brother did.

There are some good points: a section in the back is for parents, reminding them that the older child ne
Emerson and Theodore
I think others in the family and nanny have read this to him already. But today was the first for mommy. VERY good. Is honest about what the baby can and cannot do which is important in our situation so far as Emerson learns the ropes. There is also a nice section at the end about how special it is to be a big brother and how mommy and daddy love the big brother very much. Also a note to parents at the end discussing behavior problems/acting out (which we are certainly dealing with) so it was he ...more
We read this book in the classroom. We talked about being a big brother, big sister, little brother, little sister, and only child. Afterward, the girls went to the dramatic play center and were holding the baby dolls correctly. I could tell that they were copying what they learned from the book, plus I could hear them talking about points from the book. I only observed this time, instead of talking with them and joining in as I frequently do.
Erin
Mar 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, 18-24m, 2y
My son loves this book because it talks about all the things that the big brother can do that the new baby can't. He (my son) likes to talk about how big he is, so when we read that the brother can do something because he's big, my son says "like me! I'm big too!" I think it's getting him excited about the idea of being a big brother, at least in the limited way he can understand it right now.

No hard-to-explain "mommy's big tummy" moments either.
Janet
This book is actually an informational text for young children. Presented as a first-person account, the main character is a big brother who tells us about what he can do with a new baby and the facts about new babies.

Age: 2+

Practice: Talking (An excellent book for children who are expecting the arrival of a new baby, this book promotes talking about babies and their care.)
Jenna
Mar 23, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book based on other reviews, to prepare my toddler for the upcoming arrival of his baby brother. I read through it once on my own and I really didn't like it. It's just not close to the sort of parenting that we do, so it wasn't a good fit for us as a book. Sears' What Baby Needs is much closer.
Madison Jones
This is a book that would be a good one to have in your classroom library. You do not need to read it to the whole class, but becoming a big brother/sister can really change a student's life. If you were able to pull this out and share with them that it will all be ok, and they could read this book, that may ease the transition. I would reccomend this book for kindergarten-fifth grade.
I liked this book. It shows a boy planning what he is going to do as a big brother. I will read this if any of my students learn they will be a big brother/sister or uncle/aunt. It can help them transition into being excited for the new addition to the family. I would have my students write about what they would teach a younger sibling and how they would feel about it.
Molly (Conan the Librarian) Crumbley
An adorably illustrated book that shows a big brother (though there’s an identical companion volume called I’m a Big Sister that targets girls) interacting with his new sibling. The tone is very upbeat, straightforward, and positive and shows the two siblings coexisting peacefully within their family. The book ends with some parenting advice from the author, a nice matter-of-fact touch.
Denise Kettering
My 2 year old son loved reading this book when we brought home our baby. He loved identifying with the child in the book and I think it made him feel special as a big brother. For a younger child this book is a great way to help them adapt to their new position in the family.
Jami Dwyer
Jun 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: two, own
I read "What Baby Needs" first. I liked it, but my (bright but wild) 21-month-old was really not into it. I think it may work better for an older child, or a child who is super into babies.

"I'm A Big Brother", however, presented concepts at the rapid pace an active young new brother needed.
Libby
Aug 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book when I found out I was pregnant, and my son really loves it. He requests it often and can tell us what every page is about. I really like how a baby is explained and how they talk about it's great being "big" too.
Janae
Feb 18, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid-lit
This was one of the first books (of this genre) that I've read where the older sibling doesn't express some kind of disdain for the new baby. I don't want to plant that seed before it emerges. This was an easy to comprehend book for a toddler.
Tommy
Mar 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tommy really enjoys this one now that he identifies as the baby in the story. We received it as a Christmas gift when Tommy was born and it was instrumental in Danny's peaceful transition to a big brother.///
4/11/11 Part of afternoon reading time on the sofa with Mom.
Amanda_DJ n' Zac
Dominick read this cute brother book to his little brother when we got home today. In the book the big brother asks to hold the baby.... well when they were done reading it. Dominick decided to try an hold his almost 19 month old baby brother the same as a newborn was held. lol
Kimberly
Identical to the big sister book.
Lindsay
Simple and positive - what most parents have in mind when asking for a new baby book. And yes, I've been aware of this title and recommended it for years but never actually read it.
Keshia
Dec 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: andrew-s-read
Pretty well written. Andrew loved reading it over and over.
Amanda Stacy
Mar 17, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ece-3601
Awesome book for any grade to help the student feel better and less worried about having a new sibling.
Danny
Mar 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We received this as a Christmas gift when Tommy was born and it was instrumental in Danny's peaceful transition to a big brother.
Ginny
We liked this so much that I think I'm going to buy a copy for when Will's little brother arrives in January!
  • Flying High (DC Super Friends)
  • Night-Night, Little Pookie
  • My New Baby
  • ABC: a Child's First Alphabet Book
  • Potty Time with Elmo (Sesame Street)
  • When Will It Be Spring?
  • The Cheerios Play Book
  • Froggy's Baby Sister
  • Snuggle Up Sleepy Ones
  • Dino-Basketball
  • To Market, to Market
  • Waddle!
  • B Is for Bulldozer: A Construction ABC
  • Touch & Feel: FARM
  • Thomas' ABC Book (Thomas & Friends)
  • Aaaarrgghh! Spider!
  • First 100 Words
  • I Love My Daddy Because...
Joanna Cole who also writes under the pseudonym B. J. Barnet is an author of children’s books who teaches science.

She is most famous as the author of The Magic School Bus series of children's books. Joanna Cole has written over 250 books ranging from her first book Cockroach to her famous series Magic School Bus.

Cole was born in Newark, New Jersey, and grew up in nearby East Orange. She loved scie
More about Joanna Cole...