Start by marking “Mad Jack (Brides, #4)” as Want to Read:
Mad Jack (Brides, #4)

Mad Jack (Sherbrooke Brides #4)

3.8  ·  Rating Details ·  2,646 Ratings  ·  64 Reviews
People magazine called her previous Regency novel ""immensely entertaining."" Now, Catherine Coulter unveils an all-new and original Regency historical novel that will delight all her millions of readers... Dear Reader: Mad Jack is brand-new and lots of fun. You're going to meet two of the neatest people in 1811 London. In addition, you'll revisit the Sherbrookes-Douglas a ...more
ebook
Published May 4th 2004 by Jove Books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Mad Jack, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mad Jack

J.D. Stroube
Jan 03, 2009 J.D. Stroube rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to J.D. by: no one
I have decided to stop reading this book after I finished half of it. Although, I have always loved Catherine Coulter...I am bored. There I said it.

This book is tedious. Not only that, but the characters do not seem to have much in the way of chemistry. I feel like they should be siblings rather than lovers.

I also found myself irritated at the Sherbrooks coming into the book. It feels as though the book is more about them than the main characters. Do not get me wrong, I love the Sherbooks. I j
Shea
Oct 17, 2008 Shea rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Although I found the main characters of this story, Jack (aka Winifrede) and Gray very likable and entertaining the story seemed disjointed. There were several different storylines going on and none of them were terribly captivating. I felt that Coulter was trying a little too hard to bring the Sherbrookes into the story and perhaps she should have focused more on Jack and Gray. The book began and ended with a plot about an advisary seeking revenge on Gray. However, this story line was neglected ...more
Koki
Mar 29, 2016 Koki rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: zly-pokus, nuda
Námet na knihu výborný, prevedenie bez štipky fantázie. Slovami dnešných mladých ľudí: celé zle.

Neviem prečo, ale stále tejto autorke nemôžem prísť na chuť. Kniha sa číta ťažko, dej akoby na seba nenadväzoval, jednotlivé vety sú kostrbaté, priveľa postáv (keby som nečítala prvé tri knihy o súrodencoch Sherbrookovcoch, bola by som poriadne zmätená, že kto je kto) - a väčšina z nich celkom zbytočne. Spisovateľka nepoužíva žiadne opisy, o charakteroch hlavných hrdinov nehovoriac. Dokonca nudí už i
Meg
Mar 27, 2016 Meg rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed-it, 2016
3.5/5 stars

A really fun, quick read!

This book is definitely not one I would have picked up on my own, but a friend leant it to me (as well as about 10 other books) so I gave it a try. I don't often read romance novels, but this one was very cute and fun, and the main characters were quite likeable.

If you're in the mood for something light and fun, give this one a shot!
willaful
One of the most torturous audiobooks I've ever tried to listen to -- and I got fairly far, just to see how bad it could get. The male voices are ghastly and many of the characters sounded so strained it hurt my throat to listen to them.
Kayla Holthe
Boring! Writing sucked. It was juvenile, even. I struggled through because I have to finish but it was tough. Could have been great, interesting storyline and she can be a great author. This one just fell short for me.
May 04, 2013 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance-3-stars
Mad Jack was an interesting read. Catherine Coulter wrote the book in an odd sort of prose, like nothing I've ever read in a romance novel before. It was kind of quirky though, so I'm giving it a 3 star rating.

Gray is introduced to Mad Jack (aka Winifred) the disguised valet when his great aunts come to visit him. Although he at first takes no notice of her, things pick up when he catches her trying to steal one of his prize horses. She gets away and he pursues. When he finally catches up to he
Everalice
Dans ce tome 4 des Sherbrooke, Grayson St.Cyre, adorable Baron Cliffe, voit débarquer dans sa paisible vie bien ordonnée deux grands-tantes excentriques, lesquelles cachent dans leur bagage, en plus de leur charme et de leur finesse, un valet nommé Jack, Mad jack - un nom aux consonances si romanesques - qui n'est qu'un jeune gars sans poil au menton.
A la suite d'un vol de cheval, et Dieu sait si Gray est attaché à ses chevaux, des amis de toujours -, il s'avère que ce valet n'est pas du tout ce
Miss Lily
The appearance of the Sherbrookes in the story of what were previously color characters was a mainstay of "Mad Jack," though not necessarily a bad thing. What was surprising, however, was that a number of them were behaving in ways that seemed wholly-out-of-sorts for how I'd "met" them previously in past books. Colin Kinross is a spastic worrier with Sinjun pregnant; Alex Sherbrooke has turned into a jealous harridan having open tantrums in other peoples' homes. This was... very strange. And not ...more
Cynthia
Nov 02, 2014 Cynthia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Another romantic chapter in the Sherbrooke series!

The one thing that I was having trouble with, was how Gray was either related or knew the Sherbrooke brothers. It was not quite clear to begin with, but as I read, there were stories shared that gave me a little clue as to how he fit in with the Douglas, Ryder, and Tysen. Gray is basically a friend to all of them through first knowing Ryder. When Ryder helped him protect an abused woman, since Ryder protects abused and abandoned children, he also
Amy
Feb 14, 2016 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book very much. I thought the plan of "the aunts" to bring Mad Jack to the house of their nephew was pretty funny. Not so much the plan itself, but how are the ants tried to justify and explain why they needed somewhere to stay. I enjoyed getting to know all of the characters in the book. I have read the series but I had kind of forgotten some of the back stories. I'm rather hoping there will be a story featuring Helen and King Edward's Lamp. It was it intriguing subplot or at lea ...more
Lynne Tull
May 08, 2011 Lynne Tull rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: regency-romance
I loved this book. The dialog was so much out of the ordinary that I found it captivating. The H/H got along from the beginning. True, there were some moments where the heroine dug her heels in and got her way. However, the hero was a good sport about it and let her. I like that the past characters from the other books appear and play a part in the story. It helps remember (sometimes) how they fit into the big picture. Sometimes they bring us up to date with their dialog explaining to the new "p ...more
Ceecee
My friend introduced me to Catherine Coulter through this book, and glob I loved it. CC writes in a straight-to-the-point way that manages to be funny because it's so honest and plain. Her characters speak so strangely, unlike with other historical romances I read. They are way too honest, and somehow CC's writing style works.

Maybe it's because this is the first Coulter I read, that I didn't find it lacking or disappointing. I loved Grayson St. Cyre. He kind of reminds me of Freddy from Georget
Leona
Jul 22, 2014 Leona rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
Elizabethrose
Dec 16, 2015 Elizabethrose rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always enjoy when the heroine dresses as a boy to fool the hero. It makes me laugh! Jack and Gray are awesome characters and the Sherbrookes again leave me vastly amused. Colin deserves to be a little stressed out now and then. Douglas and Alex still have the great banter. Sophie was mentioned but not really in the story so I kissed her. Helen Mayberry intrigues me so I am excited for the next book and to see what Spencer Heatherington is all about especially since his reputation proceeds him. ...more
Jan
Dec 16, 2014 Jan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very fast read, gift from a friend. London 1811, dark streets, the haves and have nots. Wicked men who beat their wives and step-children, took their money, and women had no say in the mater.

One girl escapes, gets to her aunties who disguise her as a boy. They take her to safety in London to a relative, or is she safe.

Evil step-father tries to claim her, handsome young aristocrat saves the day.
Rosi
Mar 02, 2014 Rosi rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
I normally do not give too many one stars, but I had no choice on this one. I felt like the story should have ended about midway. Sadly, I felt boredom and turned off by some of the side characters. Since I finished the book, obviously there was some entertainment factor! Perhaps it was to see if Jack matured or if Gray returned to his mistress. Sadly, I didn't feel like those issues were resolved!
Diana
Jack (Winifrede) is posing as a valet for two batty old aunts who take refuge from her scheming stepfather at Gray's estate.

I had some high hopes for this one, since it started out with some intriguing lightheartedness. However, Coulter manages to mess it up, as always. The banter and lightheartedness is very superficial, and the dialogue that the characters speak is stilted and basically sounds like they are narrating their own lives. It wasn't necessarily bad, but it lacks that spark.
Betty410
Taking place in London in 1811, much in the manner of Downton Abbey with all the barons and lords and the servants. The men with their power over women they considered to be helpless as a foundation for proving the men wrong. A fun romp in a fairly typical romance novel but with several sides to keep it interesting.

Laurel Horner
May 27, 2014 Laurel Horner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-on-itunes
Really hard for me to listen to these women let men run all over them but it was a different time when you had to ride horses or ride in a carriage everywhere. Liked jacks story running aw at from her step father and then having Grey get her and her sister away from him. Interesting and sick twist that they could have been half brother half sister!
Diane Wachter
Mad Jack, Bride Bk 4, Catherine Coulter, PB-B @ 2/99, 2/00. Mad Jack is the "Valet" of 2 old aunts who burst into Lord Cliffe's (Grayson St. Cyre) life and home. Mad Jack steals Gray's horse to save her half sister from her stepfather's brutality, and the adventure continues, with appearances from all the Sherbrookes as well! Good.
Karen
Mar 16, 2016 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Coulter's Sherbrooke series is a great read. These regency romances are beyond the pap of the usual regency romance. Her characters are funny and warm. There's always an adventure, a treasure...and a family ghost or two, although paranormal is not the focus of her stories.
Mar 16, 2013 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Was a good book but not as page turning as her other novels. Not sure why the last chapter was put in there except maybe to lead to another book in the series. I will read more by this author but this was not one of her best books.
Lynn
Feb 07, 2011 Lynn rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Can I give it zero stars? This was crap. Choppy writing. Forgetable characters. No romance. No smut. I know that this type of literature can barely be called literature, but I still love a good smutty romance. This was not! Ugh.
Charlie
Jul 02, 2014 Charlie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: summer-2014
This is the first time that I regretted reading the unabridged version, as the book seemed too long and never end. There were several time I thought the book could have ended and been a good book. At first I was more into Douglas and Alex's storyline than Jack and Gray.
Christina Strause-stalkfleet
continuing on with the Sherbrooke's but a twist in that it is a friend but still has the characters from the previous series. Laughter and romance are such a great combo that I will always enjoy reading
Prismseven
This was a very calm historical romance. The story had several moments that made me smile but overall the novel was very slow with limited action.
J.W.
over all I was very pleased with this one. gray was an excellent lead male n jack was very intriguing. I loved seeing douglas n alex. ryder and sinjun.
Heather
My favorite of the brides series.
Gail
Feb 04, 2013 Gail rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love romance but so fun when this senario plays out
  • Once Tempted (Danvers, #3)
  • The Heiress (Montgomery/Taggart, #11)
  • Highland Rogue (Clan MacKenzie #2)
  • Knight of Fire (Fire, #2)
  • A Season For Scandal: Tangled Reins & Fair Juno
  • Joining (Shefford's Knights, #2)
  • The Raven and the Rose
  • Impulse
  • Kissed by Shadows (Kiss, #3)
  • Kingdom Of Moonlight (Akora, #2)
  • Guardian Angel (Crown's Spies, #2)

Sherbrooke Brides (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Sherbrooke Bride (Brides, #1)
  • The Hellion Bride (Brides, #2)
  • The Heiress Bride (Brides, #3)
  • The Courtship (Brides, #5)
  • The Scottish Bride (Brides, #6)
  • Pendragon (Brides, #7)
  • The Sherbrooke Twins (Brides, #8)
  • Lyon's Gate (Brides, #9)
  • Wizard's Daughter (Brides, #10)
  • Prince of Ravenscar (Brides, #11)