Start by marking “Mixed: Portraits of Multiracial Kids” as Want to Read:
Mixed: Portraits of Multiracial Kids

Mixed: Portraits of Multiracial Kids

From beloved writer and artist Kip Fulbeck, author of Part Asian, 100% Hapa, this timely collection of portraits celebrates the faces and voices of mixed-race children. At a time when 7 million people in the U.S. alone identify as belonging to more than one race, interest in issues of multiracial identity is rapidly growing. Overflowing with uplifting elementsincluding cha ...more
Published March 31st 2010 by Chronicle Books (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Mixed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mixed

ABC
May 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
Who couldn't love these photos of adorable kids? There is a picture of a child with the child's name and heritages listed. Occasionally there was a note or drawing from the child or a message from the child's parent.

Some quibbles:
I didn't think there were enough pictures of teenagers. (It doesn't list ages, but I think there was just very few.) So this book won't really help give your awkward teenager self-confidence.

The skin tones of the kids seemed to be lighter rather than darker. There wer
Janna Huyler collins
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Beautiful portraits of some beautiful kids!
Aaron
As western cultural identities burst at the seams with demand after demand for more (rather, better) representative media for individuals of diverse ethnic origin or background, part of the challenge is to realize how overlooked the efforts of books such as these happen to be. Offering multi-ethnic children a glimpse of themselves is nowhere near as common as it should be.

MIXED: PORTRAITS OF MULTIRACIAL KIDS entered my reading list for a handful of reasons. I'm a writer of minority ethnicity. I
Gayle Swift
Jul 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Parents' Personal Reflections Paired with Children's Portraits to Highlight the Diversity & Challenges of Multiracial Experience
Mixed: Portraits of Multiracial Kids by Kip Fulbeck is a photo essay on the many "faces" of multiracial ethnicity. The author strove to offer kids a chance "to define themselves" in their photos. The book includes a few of their written comments.
It also includes commentary from many parents which addresses their personal life experiences around their own racial mixt
Sebrina
Mar 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a book that has been on my to be owned list for a while and when it finally arrived in the mail today I was over the moon and of course re-read the whole thing in one setting. So what makes this book so amazing?
Well if some of you somehow missed this news flash, I am mixed. And I am married to a man who does not share the same racial heritage as me. So our kids will be even more mixed. Mexican, Native American, German, Caucasian, Irish, Austrian, Czech and Prussian to be exact.
Growing up
Robin
Oct 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Started reading this one while my awesome friendly neighborhood children's librarian was getting it ready to go out on the shelf. Beautiful photos, interesting little snippets of writing. It's time to recognize that we are all mixed, that you can't tell what someone is by looking at them, that a single label is neither accurate nor useful. I remember adding a check box for "human" on forms in the 80s.

It was interesting to be reading Mixed and Shiksa at the same time. Soetero-Ng talks about bein
Jennifer Norman
Jan 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Got this for my 7 yr old daughter (who loves Part Asian 100% Hapa). She recently told me that one of her secrets is that she is part Korean. She said she doesn't want people to find out and think she's weird. Oh, how that made my heart twinge! Being mixed myself, I can understand how she feels but want her to embrace who she is. This book is a great visual to show all the different mixes and I think it's especially great that it's all pictures of children. My daughter found it very interesting & ...more
Stephanie Grassie
Dec 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: child
I am in a interracial relationship so when I spotted this book I knew it was a must buy. We do not have children yet, but already it has proven useful. When my niece and nephew look through it they love seeing kids that look like them as well as different. It has taught them that even when people look like them, they still have very different backgrounds. It is a valuable tool to spark discussion with little ones about culture and heritage. It made them very interested in exploring their own!
Melanie
Feb 19, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: _non-fiction_
I liked looking at the photos. It was cool to see how many of the kids claimed Filipino heritage. It's too bad that the editors allowed the use of "Caucasian" as an ethnic identity--I realize they were allowing parents and kids to self-identify, but such a problematic and inaccurate designation tells us even less than "mixed European ancestry" would. Overall, an okay book that does important work in exploring ideas about race and identity, but it's the kind of project that these days would be be ...more
Salsabrarian
Feb 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A delightful, compact book of color photographs featuring multiracial children, some of whom are a veritable jambalaya of cultures (Cambodian-French-Romanian-Scottish-Native American-African American, anyone???). These lovely faces remind me of the many kids I see at work and walking down the street. It is a good reminder, too, never to take a face at...well, face value. There may be a lot more to the person underneath.
Mary Kathryn
Jul 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
A beautiful collection of photos and stories of American kids of mixed ethnicities. Adorable, heartening, fascinating, smart. Dr. Maya Soetoro-Ng's (President Obama's sister) foreword makes this more than just a pretty book - it's a place to see ourselves and our future.
Valarie
Feb 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful portraits and beautiful stories. I was so glad to find this new book by the author of Part Asian, 100% Hapa, that I bought it right away! Usually I wait until books appear at my local used bookstore or check them out of the library.
Trace Lara Hentz
Feb 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is part of my research for the new blog THE MIX (www.mixemag.wordpress.com). I will review it and others about mixed ancestry this year.
Dayspring
Aug 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Can't say enough how much I love this book.
Merri Su
Oct 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is the book I wish I'd had as a kid! I want to give it to all my friends who have mixed-race children.
Paco Nathan
May 16, 2010 marked it as to-read
Had to leave the store, didn't have time to purchase, but I was glued to this book and the vignettes.
Kelly
Jul 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The introduction by Dr. Maya Soetoro-ng (President Barack Obama's sister)is maybe even better than the book chock full of adorable kids. Just sayin'.
Russell
Jan 07, 2016 rated it liked it
It was fun to flip through this though I think it was less interesting, less funny, less touching... I guess for me just a generally lesser version of Part Asian, 100% Hapa.
Mills College Library