Start by marking “The Man Who Planted Trees” as Want to Read:
The Man Who Planted Trees

The Man Who Planted Trees

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  5,923 Ratings  ·  672 Reviews
Simply written, but powerful and unforgettable, The Man Who Planted Trees is a parable for modern times. In the foothills of the French Alps the narrator meets a shepherd who has quietly taken on the task of planting one hundred acorns a day in an effort to reforest his desolate region. Not even two world wars can keep the shepherd from continuing his solitary work. Gradu ...more
Published January 4th 2000 by Shambhala (first published 1953)

To ask other readers questions about The Man Who Planted Trees, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Man Who Planted Trees

Maria Espadinha
Oct 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hip Hip Hip, Hurra

Logo após a visita guiada aos infernos que a leitura de "Quem Governa O Mundo?" me proporcionou, dei de caras e por acaso com "O Homem Que Plantava Árvores".
Bem!... Foi como vislumbrar Luz ao fundo do túnel!
Andava eu a afundar-me em águas negras , quando um Anjo diligente, daqueles que surgem sempre nos momentos certos, se apiedou de mim, arremessando-me uma bóia salvadora!... ;)

Num período de flagelos e destruição (a guerra de 1914-18) , um pastor, um homem simples e solitário
Geoff
Mar 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in its entirety (a slim 46 pages) sitting alone in a cafe in Annecy, in the French Alps. I was on my way to Provence that week, and I had brought this book along with me on my trip with the explicit purpose of reading Giono in Provence, already considering Joy of Man's Desiring and Blue Boy two of the finest French novels I had encountered, but I didn't wait. So I sat and read it, such the typical American tourist, in a cafe in Annecy le Vieux over a carafe of Jura wine. Afterwo ...more
PattyMacDotComma
4.5★~5
“For a human character to reveal truly exceptional qualities, one must have the good fortune to be able to observe its performance over many years.”

So begins this lovely story, almost a fairy tale, of a lone (not lonely) shepherd whom our narrator meets in a barren wasteland, tending a few sheep. He tells us he first met the shepherd while on a walk across a land where people must have once lived in houses that are now crumbling and deserted.

“I was crossing the area at its widest point, an
Steven Godin
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: france, short-stories
A magnificent but gently told short story featuring a narrator telling of just one man, shepherd Elzeard Bouffier, living at the foot of the Alps and the beloved countryside that he is clearly in harmony with. This evoked the feeling of reading a myth carrying with it a powerful message, that is written and inspired with total respect. The final few lines are some of the most moving I have come across.

"When I reflect that one man, armed only with his own physical and moral resources, was able to
Rosie
Jun 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

ABSOLUTAMENTE maravilhoso!

Lê-se de um fôlego e retém-se para a vida toda.

Foi um mero acaso encontrar este pequeno grande livro, nas minhas buscas para deliciar e inspirar os meus filhos e acabei por comprar uns quantos e oferecer a quem muito quero. Uma lição de vida, de humildade, de perseverança, transmitido com mestria e a sensibilidade necessária para imprimir na nossa alma o poder do amor, do respeito pela natureza e pelos outros. O homem tem a capacidade de mudar o mundo, está em cada um
Jan-Maat
After more heavy rains followed by flooding in Cumbria the recommendation to minimise further problems was to plant more trees. This was plainly a sign to write a review of The Man Who Planted Trees, a task in a way I'd rather avoid (view spoiler).

The problem isn't that I disapprove of planting trees far from it (view spoiler)
Hugo
Jun 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, 2018
"Ele sabe muito mais do que todos nós. Encontrou uma bela maneira de ser feliz."

Precisamos de acreditar que, no nosso mundo, existem de facto almas puras como a de Elzéard Bouffier. Oxalá as guerras lhes passem sempre ao lado.
Bionic Jean
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Bionic Jean by: Eileen
The Man Who Planted Trees is a magical allegorical tale by the French writer Jean Giorno. It reads like a fable, in which we follow the unknown narrator - an everyman - through a particularly dry and desolate area of France, “that ancient region where the Alps thrust down into Provence”. He wanders for day after day, sometimes becoming dangerously short of water. It is at a time like this that:

“I camped near the vestiges of an abandoned village … The five or six houses, roofless, gnawed by wind
Warwick
This slender Provençal parable was – bizarrely – originally composed for a Reader's Digest competition which asked people to write about ‘The most unforgettable character I've met’. Giono's response was to produce this simple, bucolic tale about a lone shepherd who takes it upon himself to plant trees singlehandedly across vast swathes of the Provençal Alps.

The landscape which, at the start of the story in the 1910s, is desolate and bleak, has become by the end, in the late 1940s, a sort of rura
Lynne King
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I had happened to see Warwick's review of this book in French and I realized that I had never rated it. My book, as you can see, is the English version.

A fabulous, tiny, simple book about a man in France who planted acorns.

The wood engravings by Michael McCurdy are superb and worth getting the book purely for that reason.
João Carlos
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: floresta, l200pag, l2018

Área Florestal Ardida - Outubro 2017 - Portugal

Portugal's biggest wildfire: 'We all thought we were going to die' – video

Se querem ser mais felizes plantem árvores…

(view spoiler)
Arghya Dutta
May 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
For a human character to reveal truly exceptional qualities, one must have the good fortune to be able to observe its performance over many years. If this performance is devoid of all egoism, if its guiding motive is unparalleled generosity, if it is absolutely certain that there is no thought of recompense and that, in addition, it has left its visible mark upon the earth, then there can be no mistake.

An amazingly relaxing and uplifting allegorical story of a man, Elzeard Bouffier, who, in the
Irmak
Dec 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kütüphanem
‘İnsan bütün bunların tek bir adamın elinden ve ruhundan çıktığını düşününce, insanoğlunun yok etmenin dışındaki işlerde de Tanrı kadar yetenekli olabileceğini kavrıyordu.’

Şöyle ufak bir alıntı bırakıp sizi Elzeard Bouffier’in hikayesini okumaya davet ediyorum. Çünkü kendisi hiçbir karşılık beklemeden, çorak bir araziyi azmi ile tek başına ağaçlandırıyor. Ve üç kişinin yaşadığı bir kasaba onun sayesinde yıllar sonra onbinlerin yaşadığı bir yer halini alıyor.

Kitap ağaç sevgisini aşılamanın da
Liliana Rio
May 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-books
Que alma grandiosa, que generosidade apaixonante, Elzéard Bouffier será eternamente memorável!!
É uma obra pequeninha mas tão sábia, tão tocante que me encheu o espirito, encheu-me o coração de esperança que o ser humano seguisse semelhante sabedoria.
A natureza é também para mim um refúgio de felicidade e paz interior por isso não podia deixar de adorar :)
Teresa Proença
May 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5e, n-frança, g-contos
E agora?
Depois de conhecer Elzéard Bouffier como posso eu continuar a ter a ilusão de que sou determinada, persistente e generosa?
Vou ter de o esquecer...
Sara
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a hopeful and encouraging story this is. It is about the difference that one person can make and how one positive action can release a chain reaction of ….Set from 1913 to 1949, it spans two world wars and, at a time when man is involved in so much destruction, here is a man who is building something.

When you remembered that all this had sprung from the hands and the soul of this one man, without technical resources, you understood that humans could be as effectual as God in other realms th
tearsline
This is a simple story about a man who continued to plant acorns all by himself though his half-life.

When I read this book about a year ago, it didn’t move my heart much. But, it worked after a while, helped me find a purpose of my life, although a very small hope but made me strong. Grateful to have read this story.
Joey
Nov 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
After long, long consideration, I changed my 3 stars into 4 stars. It is awesome, inspiring, and deeply moving. This is the essence of writing reviews of books. I can understand a book more deeply. Besides, I love reading this kind of story. It has almost something to do with God’s Providence despite the fact that I have frozen my faith.

What lobbied me?

First, I liked the way Jean Giono himself introduced his story by giving us his wisdom.

“ For a human character to reveal truly exceptional quali
Gabrielle
This is one of my all-time favorite texts. I have had a copy for as long as I can remember and I re-read it at least once a year and I let the incredible writing and the beautiful story wash over me. It never fails to make me feel hopeful and happy.

A very short novella, “L’Homme qui Plantait des Arbres” tells the deceptively simple story of a nameless man who was once wandering through the hills of southern France and met an extraordinary character: Elzéar Bouffier. This old shepherd lived all a
Sam Quixote
Sep 15, 2011 rated it liked it
I think peoples’ opinions on this book are based more on the message of the book rather than the story itself. It’s the story of a shepherd who plants trees over many years, slowly transforming his barren part of the world into a flourishing fecund forest during the years of the First and Second World Wars. And despite the destruction the trees remain. The message - man’s capacity for creation is as great, if not greater, than his own for destruction. And godlike acts can be done by anybody, eve ...more
LW
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
La poesia e la saggezza della semplicità

Quando penso che un uomo solo, ridotto alle proprie semplici risorse fisiche e morali, è bastato a far uscire dal deserto quel paese di Canaan, trovo che, malgrado tutto, la condizione umana sia ammirevole.
Ma, se metto in conto quanto c'è voluto di costanza nella grandezza d'animo e d'accanimento nella generosità per ottenere questo risultato, l'anima mi si riempie d'un enorme rispetto per quel vecchio contadino senza cultura che ha saputo portare a buon f
Konstantin
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Minimalistic, touching and heartwarming. The entire story feels like watching an impressionist painting in subtle earth tones with touches of green from a distance; it was painted not so long ago, so the paint dries. You can feel the sun warmth on your skin, sharp winds on the empty valley edges and see drops of yellow flowers on the rocks. Sun's shadows play under the trees.
Really wonderful, I wholeheartedly recommend this. It can also be read in no more than 20 minutes, so you really have no e
Larnacouer  de SH
Umut dolu bir öykü.

Bir kaç zamandır ne yapacağımı bilmediğim sıkıcı dönemlerin birindeyim, içim içime sığmıyor. Kitap falan okuyamıyorum zaten. Haliyle kaç zaman sonra elime aldığım ilk kitap Ağaç Diken Adam oldu. Acaba acaba diyerek okuduğum bu kısacık öykü son sayfasıyla önce suratımın asılmasına hemen sonra deli gibi sırıtmama neden oldu. Güzel bir düşünceyle yazılmış özel bir kitaptı, çok beğendim.
Oscar
El narrador nos cuenta cómo en 1913, durante una excursión por la Provenza, a través de una zona árida y abandonada, se encuentra con un pastor, Elzéard Bouffier, que se dedica a plantar árboles de manera altruista.

‘El hombre que plantaba árboles’ (L’homme qui platait des arbres, 1953), del escritor Jean Giono, es una historia sencilla, un relato inolvidable. Le tengo mucho cariño a este cuento, que descubrí hace muchos años, curiosamente no en un formato escrito, sino a través de la narración d
Paula M.
A mensagem é ecológica e a escrita "limpa"....sem floreados.
Contudo, ao ler este livrinho, que se lê em menos de nada, não me saiu, uma única vez, do pensamento as imagens dos inúmeros e violentos incêndios que tanta destruição e sofrimento causaram, neste verão, no nosso país.
Entretanto, a nossa pegada destruidora não para de se tornar cada vez mais funda!
Hákon Gunnarsson
Dec 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I like this short story. The simplest description of it is: a man plants trees to turn a barren land into green, lively one. He starts this mission when he looses his family. But it is a allegorical tale so there is a little more to it. This character is trying to make the world a better place.

While people around him are busy fighting World War I and II, by killing, burning, bombing and all the rest of the distruction that people are forced to take part in while fighting wars, he is not destroy
Jale
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Geçenlerde 37 yıl boyunca ağaç dikerek kurak araziyi ormana dönüştüren adamın hikayesi geldi gündeme. 1979'dan beri ağaç dikiyormuş. Düşününce ütopik bulduğumuz olayı Jean Giono 1953'te yayımlamış. Belli ki evrende karşılık bulmuş. Edebi açıdan değilse bile insanlık adına umut vermesi açısında on numara beş yıldız.
Meike
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(Available in English as "The man who planted trees"; Original title: "L`homme qui plantait des arbres")

A very moving and poetic short story about a French shepherd who over dozens of years and throughout two world wars plants thousands of trees, thus re-vitalizing whole swaths of land and improving the lives of thousands of people. First published in 1953, the text has remained relevant, and it is no wonder that its author Jean Giono declared that this is one of his works that he is particularl
♡ Booklish ⛈ ☔Feelings ♡
For the love of Trees , please read this book

description

This book has inspired many people to plant trees . The book was published in 1953 and written by Jean Giono . For many years people thought the book was inspired by a real story . Even Giono's family thought that so .

The book describe the story of a sheperd Elzeared Bouffier . He planted thousands of trees in barren land . The writer visits him regularly and tells about his plantation work .

I myself a tree lover and love to plant trees . This is
Ipsis
Jul 22, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jean Giono impressiona pela candura e simplicidade com que nos conta esta estória.
Numa dimensão onde, entre a azáfama do dia-a-dia e a pressa do amanhã, nos alheamos, frequentemente, da realidade do mundo e de tudo o que ele abarca, "O homem que plantava árvores" apresenta-se como um soco no estômago, alertando-nos para a realidade do outro e de tudo o que nos rodeia, mas que tantas vezes desprezamos.
Um exemplo de perserverança, de honestidade intelectual, de verticalidade, de obstinação e de pr
  • The Wanderer's Necklace
  • Confessions of a Counterfeit Farm Girl: A Memoir
  • A Tree for Peter
  • The Little King December
  • Favorite Poems Old and New
  • Tracy's Tiger
  • The Man Who Planted Trees: Lost Groves, Champion Trees, and an Urgent Plan to Save the Planet
  • Adventures of Ideas
  • Saturnin
  • Angel in the Waters
  • Pilgrim's Inn (Eliots of Damerosehay, #2)
  • L'Œil du loup
  • Pictures from an Institution
  • Growing Up in New Guinea
  • The White Disease
  • Kytice
  • Hrdý Budžes
  • Contes cruels
Jean Giono, the only son of a cobbler and a laundress, was one of France’s greatest writers. His prodigious literary output included stories, essays, poetry,plays, filmscripts, translations and over thirty novels, many of which have been translated into English.

Giono was a pacifist, and was twice imprisoned in France at the outset and conclusion of World War II.

He remained tied to Provence and M
“Si uno quiere descubrir cualidades realmente excepcionales en el carácter de un ser humano, debe tener el tiempo o la oportunidad de observar su comportamiento durante varios años. Si este comportamiento no es egoísta, si está presidido por una generosidad sin límites, si es tan obvio que no hay afán de recompensa, y además ha dejado una huella visible en la tierra, entonces no cabe equivocación posible.” 1 likes
“On comprenait que les hommes pourraient être aussi efficaces que Dieu dans d'autres domaines que la destruction.” 1 likes