Start by marking “The Man Who Planted Trees” as Want to Read:
The Man Who Planted Trees

The Man Who Planted Trees

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  4,767 Ratings  ·  537 Reviews
Simply written, but powerful and unforgettable, The Man Who Planted Trees is a parable for modern times. In the foothills of the French Alps the narrator meets a shepherd who has quietly taken on the task of planting one hundred acorns a day in an effort to reforest his desolate region. Not even two world wars can keep the shepherd from continuing his solitary work. Gradu ...more
Published January 4th 2000 by Shambhala (first published 1953)

To ask other readers questions about The Man Who Planted Trees, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Man Who Planted Trees

Geoff
Mar 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in its entirety (a slim 46 pages) sitting alone in a cafe in Annecy, in the French Alps. I was on my way to Provence that week, and I had brought this book along with me on my trip with the explicit purpose of reading Giono in Provence, already considering Joy of Man's Desiring and Blue Boy two of the finest French novels I had encountered, but I didn't wait. So I sat and read it, such the typical American tourist, in a cafe in Annecy le Vieux over a carafe of Jura wine. Afterwo ...more
Maria Espadinha
Oct 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hip Hip Hip, Hurra

Imediatamente após a visita guiada aos infernos que "Quem Governa O Mundo?" me proporcionara, dei de caras e por acaso com "O Homem Que Plantava Árvores".
Bem!... Foi como vislumbrar a luz ao fundo do túnel!
Estava eu a afundar-me , quando eis que um Anjo diligente, daqueles que surgem sempre nos momentos certos, apiedou-se de mim, arremessando-me uma bóia salvadora!... ;)

Num período de flagelos e destruição (a guerra de 1914-18) , um pastor - um homem simples e solitário , enfia
Steven  Godin
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: french, short-stories
A magnificent but gently told short story featuring a narrator telling of just one man, shepherd Elzeard Bouffier, living at the foot of the Alps and the beloved countryside that he is clearly in harmony with. This evoked the feeling of reading a myth carrying with it a powerful message, that is written and inspired with total respect. The final few lines are some of the most moving I have come across.

"When I reflect that one man, armed only with his own physical and moral resources, was able to
Arghya Dutta
May 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
For a human character to reveal truly exceptional qualities, one must have the good fortune to be able to observe its performance over many years. If this performance is devoid of all egoism, if its guiding motive is unparalleled generosity, if it is absolutely certain that there is no thought of recompense and that, in addition, it has left its visible mark upon the earth, then there can be no mistake.

An amazingly relaxing and uplifting allegorical story of a man, Elzeard Bouffier, who, in the
Mnemosyne
May 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: n-frança, g-contos, e5, y-w
E agora?
Depois de conhecer Elzéard Bouffier como posso eu continuar a ter a ilusão de que sou determinada, persistente e generosa?
Vou ter de o esquecer...
Jan-Maat
After more heavy rains followed by flooding in Cumbria the recommendation to minimise further problems was to plant more trees. This was plainly a sign to write a review of The Man Who Planted Trees, a task in a way I'd rather avoid (view spoiler).

The problem isn't that I disapprove of planting trees far from it (view spoiler)
Liliana Rio
May 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-books
Que alma grandiosa, que generosidade apaixonante, Elzéard Bouffier será eternamente memorável!!
É uma obra pequeninha mas tão sábia, tão tocante que me encheu o espirito, encheu-me o coração de esperança que o ser humano seguisse semelhante sabedoria.
A natureza é também para mim um refúgio de felicidade e paz interior por isso não podia deixar de adorar :)
Hugo
Jun 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
"Ele sabe muito mais do que todos nós. Encontrou uma bela maneira de ser feliz."

Precisamos de acreditar que no nosso mundo existam almas puras como a de Elzéard Bouffier. Oxalá as guerras lhes passem sempre ao lado.
Joey
Nov 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
After long, long consideration, I changed my 3 stars into 4 stars. It is awesome, inspiring, and deeply moving. This is the essence of writing reviews of books. I can understand a book more deeply. Besides, I love reading this kind of story. It has almost something to do with God’s Providence despite the fact that I have frozen my faith.

What lobbied me?

First, I liked the way Jean Giono himself introduced his story by giving us his wisdom.

“ For a human character to reveal truly exceptional quali
Sam Quixote
Sep 15, 2011 rated it liked it
I think peoples’ opinions on this book are based more on the message of the book rather than the story itself. It’s the story of a shepherd who plants trees over many years, slowly transforming his barren part of the world into a flourishing fecund forest during the years of the First and Second World Wars. And despite the destruction the trees remain. The message - man’s capacity for creation is as great, if not greater, than his own for destruction. And godlike acts can be done by anybody, eve ...more
Larnacouer  de SH
Umut dolu bir öykü.

Bir kaç zamandır ne yapacağımı bilmediğim sıkıcı dönemlerin birindeyim, içim içime sığmıyor. Kitap falan okuyamıyorum zaten. Haliyle kaç zaman sonra elime aldığım ilk kitap Ağaç Diken Adam oldu. Acaba acaba diyerek okuduğum bu kısacık öykü son sayfasıyla önce suratımın asılmasına hemen sonra deli gibi sırıtmama neden oldu. Güzel bir düşünceyle yazılmış özel bir kitaptı, çok beğendim.
Rosie
Jun 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ABSOLUTAMENTE maravilhoso! Lê-se de um fôlego e retém-se para toda a vida.
Foi um mero acaso encontrar este pequeno grande livro, nas minhas buscas para deliciar e inspirar os meus filhos e acabei por comprar uns quantos e oferecer a quem muito quero. Uma lição de vida, de humildade, de perseverança, transmitido com mestria e a sensibilidade necessária para imprimir na nossa alma o poder do amor, do respeito pela natureza e pelos outros. O homem tem a capacidade de mudar o mundo, está em cada um
Gabrielle
This is one of my all-time favorite texts. I have had a copy for as long as I can remember and I re-read it at least once a year and I let the incredible writing and the beautiful story wash over me. It never fails to make me feel hopeful and happy.

A very short novella, “L’Homme qui Plantait des Arbres” tells the deceptively simple story of a nameless man who was once wandering through the hills of southern France and met an extraordinary character: Elzéar Bouffier. This old shepherd lived all a
Oscar
El narrador nos cuenta cómo en 1913, durante una excursión por la Provenza, a través de una zona árida y abandonada, se encuentra con un pastor, Elzéard Bouffier, que se dedica a plantar árboles de manera altruista.

‘El hombre que plantaba árboles’ (L’homme qui platait des arbres, 1953), del escritor Jean Giono, es una historia sencilla, un relato inolvidable. Le tengo mucho cariño a este cuento, que descubrí hace muchos años, curiosamente no en un formato escrito, sino a través de la narración d
Hákon Gunnarsson
Dec 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I like this short story. The simplest description of it is: a man plants trees to turn a barren land into green, lively one. He starts this mission when he looses his family. But it is a allegorical tale so there is a little more to it. This character is trying to make the world a better place.

While people around him are busy fighting World War I and II, by killing, burning, bombing and all the rest of the distruction that people are forced to take part in while fighting wars, he is not destroy
Çağdaş T
Feb 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
"Jean Giono'nun bu muhteşem öyküsü gerçek mi ?
Elzéard Bouffier gerçekten yaşadı mı?
Fark eder mi ? "
Esseve Rin
Dec 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
2016 okuma hedefimi tamamlamaktan kilometrelerce uzak olduğum için şu sıralar çabuk bittiği için ince kitaplar okuyorum ki aklımca vicdanımı rahatlatayım. Sırf ince olduğu için kütüphaneden rastgele aldığım bir kitaptı Ağaç Diken Adam. Sıfır beklentiyle başlamıştım ve adeta dumura uğradım. Hacmiyle ters orantılı bir etki yaptı resmen.

Hiçbir karşılık beklemeden, sabırla çöle dönmüş bir araziyi yıllarca uğraşıp yeşillendiren ve insanlara umut getiren bir adamın, Elzéard Bouffier'in, öyküsü Ağaç D
Sofia
Oct 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Quando pensamos que tudo aquilo brotara das mãos e da alma deste homem - sem quaisquer meios técnicos - compreendemos que os homens podem ser tão eficazes como Deus noutras áreas para além da destruição."

O Homem que plantava árvores, baseado em factos reais, é uma pequena grande história de como um homem, sem qualquer interesse pessoal e com o fruto do seu trabalho, consegue florestar umas das regiões mais áridas de França.

O livro pode ser analisado à luz de várias vertentes: a ameaça ambienta
Miguel
Feb 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Uma pequena e bonita história de leitura fácil, pequenos gestos de simplicidade...Bouffier deixou o mundo um pouco melhor que o encontrou. ;)
Əsli Musayeva
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Az, amma öz kitablardan biri daha. İnsan dağıtmaq üçün yox, qurmaq üçün yaradıldığını xadırladan bir əsər
Aviendha
Bir çırpıda okunacak kısacık bir öykü. Daha çok farkındalık yaratma amacı niteliğinde.

Not: Pek değerli yayınevi keşke hatırlatılmak istenen olgunun gerektirdiği gibi davranmış olsaydı. :/
Nick
Apr 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a quiet story that has lasting resonance for me as I was lucky enough to plant trees in a barren wasteland of South India some years ago beside a man of simple but unwavering faith,and a young woman of unbounded enthusiasm,love and laughter, and return over the years to find wooded hillsides and crops flourishing beside them.
Nyamka Ganni
May 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Nyamka by: Indra
Highly recommended!!
It really is an amazing story. Truly inspirational and wonderful story about the man who planted trees in solitude. He never expected applause, nor recognition for his miracle work! He just focused on his work silently and revived nature, all alone!!

Let's plant trees whenever possible!

Highly recommended!!
Jigar Brahmbhatt
Jul 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Read this wonderful, heartwarming tale, and then watch the 1987 short animation film based on Jean Giono's vision of hope. It should take not more than three hours of your life. But if you'd ponder (or worry) about nature and what it ultimately means to us as a result, even for a day, you would have totally earned it.

If it is true that readers are relatively good at heart, maybe because they become more empathic by exploring lives other than their own, then it is to the innate goodness of such
Beste Bal
Apr 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
zamanın birinde animasyonunu izlemiş pek beğenmiştim. meraklısı böyle buyursun: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYlsI...
kitabın illüstrasyonları da çok çok hoş. bu anlatı, illa ki görselli olmalıydı! bir solukta okunan, umut veren, 'yaşadım diyebilmek için'e dair kafa yorduran kısacık anlatı. mis.
Someone

قصة فرنسية قصيرة عن "إلزيار بوفييه" هذا الرجل الراعي القروي البسيط اللا يكاد يتكلّم مع أحد، الذي رأى ذات يوم أن هذه البلاد تموت بسبب قلة الأشجار، فالبيئة التي كان يرعى حولها كانت قاحلة، إلا من بعض منازل مهجورة وجيران بعداء لا يطيقون الاقتراب من أحد، ومع شمس حارقة في أيام الصيف وريح تزأر كالوحوش الجائعة وآبار جافة وإحساس بالعطش طاغٍ، رأى إلزيار ذات يوم أن هذه البلاد تموت من العطش فقرر – ما دام لا شيء آخر يشغله – أن يعالج هذه المشكلة

وهي قصة فاتنة، وتحوّل باهر من كل النواحي حدث في تلك البقعة من الع
Virginia Pulver
May 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My own brother is much like the protagonist in this slim volume - The Man Who Planted Trees shows us how one person and simple acts can evoke enormous change. Over the past decade, my brother (Byron Jeys Mawingo) has planted (or orchestrated the planting) of almost 100,000 trees on a barren mountaintop in northern Malawi(Africa). Jen Giono's novel is a quick read, but it will inspire you - and it certainly resonates with me. The writing style and the nature of this tale remind me, in many ways, ...more
Пүрэвбазар
May 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Time to relax your complicated brains my friends. Grab this and read. Its just an ordinary story of ordinary man who planted trees. I didnt mean to complicate anything about this beautifully written book but i just felt something really lonely. A man and a dog out in the open planted thousands of trees. What a story? Wish one day i gonna meet someone like him.

Thanks to Indra for great recommendation.
Rhys
Jun 14, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A slim book, almost a short story, but incredibly inspiring. The tale of a shepherd who devotes his life to trying to repair some of the damage that humanity has done to the world by planting forests, one acorn at a time, is a simple masterpiece. It made me want to emulate Elzéard Bouffier and plant trees.
  • The Wanderer's Necklace
  • Confessions of a Counterfeit Farm Girl: A Memoir
  • A Tree for Peter
  • The Little King December
  • Favorite Poems Old and New
  • Tracy's Tiger
  • The Man Who Planted Trees: Lost Groves, Champion Trees, and an Urgent Plan to Save the Planet
  • Adventures of Ideas
  • Saturnin
  • Angel in the Waters
  • Pilgrim's Inn (Eliots of Damerosehay, #2)
  • L'Œil du loup
  • Pictures from an Institution
  • Growing Up in New Guinea
  • The White Disease
  • Kytice
  • Hrdý Budžes
  • Contes cruels
Jean Giono, the only son of a cobbler and a laundress, was one of France’s greatest writers. His prodigious literary output included stories, essays, poetry,plays, filmscripts, translations and over thirty novels, many of which have been translated into English.

Giono was a pacifist, and was twice imprisoned in France at the outset and conclusion of World War II.

He remained tied to Provence and M
More about Jean Giono...

“Si uno quiere descubrir cualidades realmente excepcionales en el carácter de un ser humano, debe tener el tiempo o la oportunidad de observar su comportamiento durante varios años. Si este comportamiento no es egoísta, si está presidido por una generosidad sin límites, si es tan obvio que no hay afán de recompensa, y además ha dejado una huella visible en la tierra, entonces no cabe equivocación posible.” 1 likes
“On comprenait que les hommes pourraient être aussi efficaces que Dieu dans d'autres domaines que la destruction.” 0 likes