Start by marking “Furious George Goes Bananas: A Primate Parody” as Want to Read:
Furious George Goes Bananas: A Primate Parody

Furious George Goes Bananas: A Primate Parody

3.36  ·  Rating details ·  162 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
George is an ape—not a monkey—and he is perfectly happy living his simple life in the jungle, until one day the man in the funny hat kidnaps him and brings him to the big city. Poor George! Forced to live in a cage at the zoo, then work hard manual labor and be mocked on stage—George has every reason to be upset. In fact, after all the maltreatment, he’s downright furious! ...more
Published May 13th 2010 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Furious George Goes Bananas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Furious George Goes Bananas

Betsy
Jan 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
There is no feeling in the world quite like returning to a picture book you loved as a kid, only to discover how weird or disturbing that book was all along. A lot of adults experience this when they first have kids of their own and want to read them the books they used to love. The green elephant in Babar. The unapologetic nudist in In the Night Kitchen. And then there’s Curious George. That happy little monkey has long since had his adventures adapted into movies, television shows, spin-offs, ...more
Arminzerella
Sassy
Sep 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
should be alternately titled, The Ape's Revenge. Also, I was just thinking that Curious George is probably Ivan's cousin (as in The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate) I think this would pair well (along with the first Curious George Book Curious George by H.A. Rey) for a unit about animals in captivity.
Emerson and Theodore
May 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-books
It was funny that I stumbled upon this Curious George parody just after learning the truth about George's capture. This book--part George, part King Kong--parodies the story about a wild and angry captured ape. And it also pokes fun by saying repeatedly,"he was an ape, monkeys have tails". Probably too advanced for Emerson but tragically funny. BTW, did you hear that the NIH is effectively banning/ending primate research as we know it in the US by deeming most of the current studies "unnecessar ...more
The Brothers
Jan 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: apes, humor, monkeys, parodies
Having read a copious amount of Curious George books, I can't express my delight at finding this book. It's a tongue in cheek parody of some of the themes found in Curious George. I especially like how in every new situation, George is introduced as monkey by the man "in the funny hat" but everyone corrects by saying monkeys have tails. I also like the fact that this George is very aware he is being taken advantage of and remedies the situation himself.

Fab illustrations.
Marti
Sep 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
My 5 yr old loves the silliness of this book and the similarity to Curious George. I find it a little tedious as the novelty of the Curious George parody wears off after the first 10 seconds. But book has a lot of good points mixed in w/ the silliness and parody - the difference between monkeys vs. apes, the evils of greed, and that it's a bad idea to take a wild animal out of its natural habitat.
Kerrikoala
Jul 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
This reminded me little of THE ONE AND ONLY IVAN. Yes, it's a parody of Curious George, and I love Curious George, but this George did not get the same love as that George did.* :( At least it had a happy ending!

*After reading some other reviews, I may have to re-read some of the original Curious George stories. I'm used to the later ones (not actually written by H.A. Rey), in which the Man in the Yellow hat is very kind to George.
Jane Humane
Mar 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is a great book for a Humane Education lesson-but only for older children. There isn't anything graphic in nature, but the satire and sarcasm used to illustrate the point (animals being used in entertainment-or taken for selfish reasons from their homes). Young children will not understand this book. ----You could even read this book to a group of high-schoolers. They might think its funny to have a children's book read to them and they will certainly get the message.----
Carol
Aug 11, 2012 rated it liked it
My almost 5 year old loves this book and thinks it's hilarious. Even though he knows the Curious George books I don't think he gets the idea of a parody. For him the story is funny on its own. I find the story a little tedious and the humor, well... childish. Overall a useful book to include in your collection.
Benjamin Elliott
Mar 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Satire of the Curious George series by taking a much larger primate and putting it into the situations presented in the original books. As someone who is rather critical of Margaret and H. A. Rey's Curious George books, I thought this was fun.