Start by marking “How to Read the Bible Book by Book: A Guided Tour” as Want to Read:
How to Read the Bible Book by Book: A Guided Tour

How to Read the Bible Book by Book: A Guided Tour

Helps people read the Bible as a whole; and even when the whole is narrowed to whole books, helps readers to see how each book fits into the grand Story of the Bible.
Published March 18th 2002 by Zondervan (first published March 18th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about How to Read the Bible Book by Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Read the Bible Book by Book

Douglas Wilson
Jun 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biblical-studies
Very helpful, book-by-book, resource. Recommended.
Becky Pliego
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Super helpful to use as reference. And especially for those reading their Bibles for the first time.
Michael
Jul 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology
The concern of this book is to help you read the Bible as a whole, and even when the "whole" is narrowed to "whole books," it is important for you always to be aware of how each book fits into the larger story.

First, this book is intended to be a companion to How to Read the Bible for All Its Worth. Anyone who has read this book will see that familiar structure of it's guided overviews of the selected biblical books there. Essentially this is an application of the concepts shared in the first
Nicole
Dec 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chrisitianity
This is a great book for an outline of each book of the Bible and simple commentaries. It's a really great companion if you're beginning to read the Bible--the Lord really used this to help me in understanding the purpose of certain books an to help simplify it in the beginning of my walk.

I've read some reviews where people said it was just a simple commentary or not in depth, but you have to remember the first time you read scriptures you didn't have a complete understanding of historical cont
Elizabeth
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent resource to which I regularly refer. It helps me to read the Bible more profitably by pointing out key themes, relevant organizational structure, etc. While I don’t necessarily agree with every conclusion, this book serves me well and is a key tool in my Bible study arsenal.
Corey
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
A great introduction to commentaries. A chapter for each book of the Bible, each chapter around 10 pages. A good resource for people new to Bible reading.
Christopher
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Like any good tour guide, Fee just points out some background and context, and then mostly gets out of the way. Extremely helpful, especially with difficult prophetic portions of the Bible. Don't imagine me "recommending" this book, imagine me shaking you by the shoulders and saying, "You have to get this book! Your Bible reading NEEDS it! TRUST ME."
Francesko Kola
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The book begins with an overview that relates the overarching biblical themes that hold it together as a single story. In addition, prior to beginning each major section of the Bible, the authors provide an overview of the contents and interrelationships of those particular books.
The reader will undoubtedly find himself disagreeing on occasion, and in any event, consulting a good commentary is never a bad idea to get both more detailed discussion and the range of views. However, by focusing on t
Ryan Boyer
Feb 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Fee and Stuart's follow up to their first book, How to Read the Bible for All It's Worth, is designed to help people become better readers of Scripture and build upon the process that is laid out in the first book. It provides overviews of each book, background information, etc.

This book is really helpful as a resource tool and guide. For that I would have given it four stars. But, it can become a cheat sheet for those who are learning how to read the Bible. Yes, it is good and valuable to have
Bryan McWhite
Jul 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This stands as a desk reference in my study. I use it regularly as a help in devotions (as does my wife). It is simply written and very helpful. Highly recommended to Bible students of any level.
Lindsey
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion
A matter-of-fact, objective summary of each book of the Bible, filled with useful information. Each chapter starts with the facts: who wrote the book, when it was probably written, main emphases and characters, and any other important information unique to each book. Then, the books are broken down by section and even verse, and with specific reading advice and summaries for each book.

I highly recommend using it as a companion to Bible reading rather than reading it by itself as a book.

I espec
Monica
Dec 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dnf
Tough to give this one a rating. I'd say 3.5 is honest, but I want to bump it up to 3.75 because I still believe it has more to offer. I was just disappointed because it didn't give what I was looking for: understanding context to better explain the crazy stuff in the old AND new testament.

Technically I haven't finished this book yet, but I read it whenever I want more context on a certain chapter. It really benefited me when I was abroad and away from my usual local church.
Jeremy Gardiner
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very helpful book. It gives an overview of every book of the Bible. It has the following format: 1) Introductory material (author/date/emphases etc.) 2) Overview of the book 3) Specific advice for reading that book 4) A walk through that book (broken into sections).

It's a great companion book to read before you start a new book of the Bible, especially if you are unfamiliar with it.
Rebeca
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book to read before reading and studying specific books of the Bible. It's not necessary to read it in order, in fact, I encourage the readers to go to this book before reading and studying a book from the Bible.
Karen
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We used this as a textbook for a course with Vineyard Institute - very technical in places but highly recommended! It helped us to understand the background, context, and foci of each book we studied.
Sammy Fee
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book explained so much! Things have finally started making sense! This is a must read if you are studying the Bible. I poured over every page :D
Jeremy Manuel
Jul 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: christianity
The point of this book is to help people understand how to read each book of the Bible. This is done by giving the context of the book, some tips or knowledge they think might help with the reading of the book, and then some general summaries of various sections of each book. By using this structure it does a pretty good job of showing how each book is unique, but also at fitting it into the larger narrative of the Bible.

I'll be honest, it isn't the most enjoyable book to read cover to cover. Th
Jeremy Zilkie
Jul 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014-books
I recommend this book for anyone who plans on reading through the Bible. Fee does a great job giving a thoughtful overview of each section of each book of the Bible. The Bible is so varied in its various genres of literature, numerous authors, varied time periods along with the world events of each period with the Bible is often speaking about.

I read through the Bible, Genesis to Revelation and went section by section with this book, checking the boxes as I completed each section. While I will p
Craig Toth
May 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book is a guide to helping people come to grips with the fact that in order to be able to better understand the Bible, one ought to first learn something about the social, historical, and literary contexts of the writings therein. Otherwise, the reader’s worldview and life experiences act as final judge concerning what “the Bible says.” The most obvious sign of this error is the common practice of picking and choosing scripture verses (typically, out of context!) to back up preexisting beli ...more
Linda
Mar 10, 2013 rated it liked it
This book ws recommended for a "Reading the Bible in a year". It was a good supportive reference for getting through the mysteries of the Bible although it is no subsitiution for a good Bible study; hence the difference between reading the Bible and studying the Bible. I was grateful for this reference to help me through some of the books however it is rather general in describing what the Bible is communicating rather detailed which I get in a detailed study of the Bible. I do recommend it for ...more
Hannah
Apr 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-own-hard-copy
I finally made it through this book... and consequently, the Bible!! Only took me several years, but I got there! hehe

I loved having this little companion to sometimes shed light on things I didn't understand and to provide background information and context to stories I'd heard before. It actually also helped keep me motivated during more difficult (boring) passages to read as I knew that at the end of the passage I'd be able to tick off a little box.
Marlon Myburgh
Jan 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Exactly what I needed. I love the “Orienting Data,” “Overview,” “Specific Advice” and "Walkthrough" format. I really appreciate Fee and Stuart's works, they get to the point immediately and you don't need to spend needless time reading through pages and pages of unnecessary information.

This is an invaluable resource to add to anyone's research library and I would recommend it to anyone.

Mary A
Oct 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I read this book alongside my Bible as I was reading through the Bible for the first time. I found it helpful particularly while reading the prophets, which I was completely unfamiliar with. If you have little or no background in Biblical history, then I would recommend this book to help interpret historical circumstances in the Bible.
Kathy England
Nov 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
I've been using this book as a devotional aid for my daily Bible reading for the past year and a half. It has been quite useful and very informational, both in knowing the history and culture at the time of each Biblical book, and as a guide as what to watch for in each section. I highly recommend it, at least in this kind of use. It wouldn't be nearly as useful read by itself.
Corey Doise
Jun 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is a great resource for any serious Bible reader. It provides great context to what you are reading, which is key when reading any ancient manuscript. I do not read the Bible without this resource by my side.
CCCfaithathome
This book is a great one to keep right next to your Bible. It helps you to understand the different genres of the books of the Bible and enriches your reading of specific passages. It's also a follow-up to How to Read the Bible for All its Worth by the same authors.
Timothy
Feb 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
After having been thrilled with How to 1, I had a lot higher expectations of this book. I would have gone 3 stars, but admittedly, I didn't read the corresponding Biblical books as a companion as I went along. I will definitely consult it as a preaching/teaching resource though.
Jeremy
Apr 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the most helpful books ever! I come back to this book again and again in order to understand what I am reading in my bible. If I only had one book to choose to help me understand the bible, this would be the one I would pick, it's that helpful.
Pris
Oct 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Read this book a long time ago. Anyone who reads the Bible and wants to interpret it the way it should be and preach about it should read this book. It keeps you on the straight and narrow without diverging into several different directions that most Bible preachers and pastors now are prone to do.
Jim Haw
Sep 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a trust-worthy resource that provides the background information needed to engage every book of the Bible.
  • The Hermeneutical Spiral: A Comprehensive Introduction to Biblical Interpretation
  • The New Testament Documents: Are They Reliable?
  • Dictionary of Jesus and the Gospels: A Compendium of Contemporary Biblical Scholarship
  • Knowing Scripture
  • Living By the Book: The Art and Science of Reading the Bible
  • The Message of the New Testament: Promises Kept
  • A Little Exercise for Young Theologians
  • Basics of Biblical Greek Workbook
  • How to Read the Bible through the Jesus Lens: A Guide to Christ-Focused Reading of Scripture
  • Grasping God's Word: A Hands-On Approach to Reading, Interpreting, and Applying the Bible
Gordon Fee is Professor Emeritus of New Testament at Regent College, where he taught for sixteen years. His teaching experience also includes serving schools in Washington, California, Kentucky, as well as Wheaton College in Illinois (five years) and Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary in Massachusetts (twelve years).

Gordon Fee is a noted New Testament scholar, having published several books and
“The genius of the biblical story is what it tells us about God himself: a God who sacrifices himself in death out of love for his enemies; a God who would rather experience the death we deserved than to be apart from the people he created for his pleasure; a God who himself bore our likeness, experienced our creatureliness, and carried our sins so that he might provide pardon and reconciliation; a God who would not let us go, but who would pursue us—all of us, even the worst of us—so that he might restore us into joyful fellowship with himself; a God who in Christ Jesus has so forever identified with his beloved creatures that he came to be known and praised as “the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ” (1 Pet 1:3).” 1 likes
“The thing that should most strike you when coming to John’s Gospel from having read the Synoptics is how different it is. Not only is the basic scene of Jesus’ ministry different (Jerusalem instead of Galilee), but the whole ministry looks quite different. Here you find no messianic secret (Jesus is openly confessed as Messiah from the start); no parables (but rich use of symbolic language); no driving out of demons; no narratives of the testing in the desert, the Transfiguration, or the Lord’s Supper. Rather than placing emphasis on the kingdom of God, the emphasis is on Jesus himself (the Life who gives eternal life); rather than short, pithy, memorable sayings, the teaching comes most often in long discourses.” 0 likes