Start by marking “Mephisto Aria” as Want to Read:
Mephisto Aria

Mephisto Aria

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  43 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
At the height of her career, opera singer Katherina Marov is stunned by her father's suicide. Reading his journals, she learns of his dark days as a soldier on the Russian front and in war-torn Berlin. She cannot condone him for his crimes and secrets though, for while she is learning of his demons, she is discovering her own.
Published January 12th 2010 by Bold Strokes Books

To ask other readers questions about Mephisto Aria, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mephisto Aria

angie
Dec 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I don't think it was just the pleasure of spending a cozy day inside with fluffy white snow falling outside as a backdrop that made Mephisto Aria such a terrific read. With a storyline steeped in opera and history, Justine Saracen's novel offers up suspense, romance, sincerity and wonderful writing. I am not well-versed in opera, but that didn't stop me from enjoying the world our main character Katherina Marov lives in; if anything it made me want to learn more about Faust and other operas refe ...more
Stevie Carroll
May 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A gripping thriller about opera in the old divided Germany of the 1980s and the repercussions of events occuring during and after WWII. Also there are women dressed as men and renegade Russian and East German soldiers for our heroines to contend with, not to mention a man who styles himself after the operatic devil himself. Highly recommended and I'm sorry I took so long to pick it up off the To Read pile and that I don't have the author's other books (yet).
M
Jul 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: l-books
This is a very strangle, brilliant and uneven story. The writing is very good and the historical elements are excellent and very well handled, however, the almost supernatural ending had my alarm going off and ultimately made me downgrade my rating.

Maybe the mixing of the historical elements and the supernatural weren't a great fit for me, but I would still recommend as a "Good Read".
Zoe
Dec 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm torn between 3 stars and 4. The writing is brilliant, the majority of the plot is well thought out and engaging, and the afterword gives some historical insight into Soviet Russia and the DDR. Ultimately the rushed, forced, and saccharine ending brought my rating down.
Mike Finn
Oct 06, 2014 rated it did not like it
Pretty dreadful for reasons too many to mention
Elisa Rolle
Aug 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
2010 Rainbow Awards Honorable Mention (5* from at least 1 judge)
Julie
Sep 03, 2012
Blu
Jun 01, 2013
Cynthia
rated it did not like it
Feb 05, 2017
Maite
Jul 30, 2011
Dide
Apr 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lovely read. I am a sucker for historical fiction and this book I am well pleased. The finding herself after feelings of being used and realising indeed who she is with the historical backdrop makes for a wonderful read.
I do feel the last chapters where she gets saved by her lover seems rushed. ...the revelations all came at the same time
Viv
Feb 28, 2014
Ulla
Jul 27, 2011
Goodreads Librari...: Separate 2 144 Jul 25, 2012 03:34PM
From the author's website: How a mild-mannered academic went astray and began writing lesbian fiction:
A recovered academic, Justine Saracen started out producing dreary theses, dissertations and articles for esoteric literary journals. Writing fiction, it turned out, was way more fun. With seven historical thrillers now under her literary belt, she has moved from Ancient Egyptian theology (The 100
More about Justine Saracen...