Start by marking “Awakening to the Spirit World: The Shamanic Path of Direct Revelation” as Want to Read:
Awakening to the Spirit World: The Shamanic Path of Direct Revelation

Awakening to the Spirit World: The Shamanic Path of Direct Revelation

Today, practicing shamanism doesn't mean you have to live in a rain forest or a desert. Thanks to a modern renaissance of shamanic spirituality, practitioners from all walks of life now use powerful indigenous techniques for healing, insight, and spiritual growth. With Awakening to the Spirit World, teachers Sandra Ingerman and Hank Wesselman bring together a circle of ren ...more
Published March 1st 2010 by Sounds True (first published February 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Awakening to the Spirit World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Awakening to the Spirit World

Emma-Jayne Saanen
Aug 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
For a 101 take on Core Shamanism, this is an excellent read. It brings together different threads of Neo-Shamanic practice and offers several practical exercises to refine your inner visionary. It comes with a wonderful audio CD containing drumming tracks which I managed to use effectively.

The downside is that it contains a bit of cultural appropriation that makes me feel uncomfortable, but that is a common thread in Core Shamanism. The book itself loses momentum about halfway through, so it wa
Begüm Saçak
Oct 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spirituality
A very nice and enlightening book about spirituality and how it can be practiced in daily life. After reading this book and witnessing people's transformations, i wonder how on earth people lost their interest in one of the most ancient practices of the world. In the book, it is mentioned that life is a dream and we are living the wrong dream. Indeed, what people need is not more money or new stuff but they deep inside look for the ancient wisdom that remained hidden for so long. I think partial ...more
Quinn
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is not a book to read, it is a book to study. It's been on my "I'm reading it" list for almost two years. I zipped through it the first time, just to see what was in it. Then I went through, chapter by chapter, sometimes page by page, learning about different cultural applications and approaches of living a spiritual life.

I am not a shaman. I will never be one. But that doesn't mean I can't appreciate and learn new ways to live a spiritual life. And because I am also an urban naturalist, a
Lourdes Cambridge
Feb 08, 2016 rated it liked it
SANDRA INGERMAN, LIKE LOURDES CAMBRIDGE...IS A GOOD READS AUTHOR. HOWEVER, SHE IS INVOLVED WITH THE MICHAEL HARNER INSTITUTE...WHICH IN TURN IS INVOLVED WITH SIMON BUXTON IN THE UK. SIMON BUXTON MADE THE MISTAKE OF BLATANTLY AND DISRESPECTFULLY ARGUING WITH...DEFAMING...AND DISCREDITING MERILY TUNNESHENDE...FOR NO GOOD OR VALID REASON... AS WELL AS STEALING FROM HER...TO ALL OF THEIR MISFORTUNES. THEREFORE, ALTHOUGH I COULD BE KINDRED SPIRITS WITH SANDRA INGERMAN...AS MUCH AS SHE HAS PUT INTO TH ...more
Saiisha
Apr 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spiritual, self-help
I enjoyed this introductory book about the Shamanic Path. Although much of what I read felt like information I knew already, I appreciated the way it was pulled together, along with commentary and perspectives from 6 different Shamanic practitioners. One other aspect of the book that I hadn't expected, but was pleased about, were the various references from other ancient traditions like Tantra, Tibetan Bardos, etc.
Jen
May 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: home-library
Good introduction to the shamanic path for those unfamiliar with the subject. I highly recommend being a "good student" and following the leads given (names, titles, etc) for those that wish to go on and study further. In particular, check out Terence McKenna. I just discovered him myself and I'm glad for it.
Tod Jones
Nov 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very interesting and accessible.
Heidi
Nov 20, 2018 rated it did not like it
very colonialistic in its approach. culturally appropriative and too brief in its relaying of techniques leaving readers able to home journey but without properly supported & grounded techniques. This blatant patriarchal approach shocked me as I've read another book by Hank where he handled sharing his learning with grace and appropriate gravity. This book was straight cultural pillaging. I encourage you to seek the information through other books and not be a part of this one.
Pontus Ågren
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great introduction to shamanism and how to bring it into modern times. A brief summary of each aspect of the subject, from history to practice.
Dnicebear
Mar 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book gives a great overview of the emerging Transformational Community that we are all becoming part of. I am pleased to enter into the author's level headed ways of describing the path and to realize it's my path, even while continuing on the path of my cultural tradition. What I mean is that this path is foundational to all our paths. I will continue to use this way of "journeying" and "visioning" in all my life.

Here's a quote from Jose Stevens: "We are not evolving in a vacuum, we are ev
Man O'neal
Sep 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
I have yet to attempt the practices suggested in the book, but I plan to as soon as I can get a copy of my own (I borrowed it from a friend). It's truly an uplifting read and puts life into a simpler and more vivid perspective. It helps to provide POSSIBLE answers for (or at least thoughts regarding) some of the deepest questions that we, as life forms, have been asking ourselves for so long. Until I test out the lifestyle explained in the book, I won't be able to give a full review of the book ...more
Julie Franks-Murray
Sep 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
I loved this book. For someone seeking an indepth explanation of and practical usage for modern shamanic practice, this book is a must. Several practitioners were consulted in the writing of this book, so there are various perspectives, as well as practical exercises.

I've been trying to put a name to what it is I do and have been for many, many years. This book helped me understand what I am and what I'm here to do. I highly recommend it for anyone seeking to grow spiritually without the formal
Victor De witt
Jul 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
i have read a number of books on shamanism. This book clearly is one of the best. I say this because rarely do we see a volume with a number of authors of one mind with benefit to a cause of benefit to humanity. This coordinated effort makes this book the Shamanic equivalent to the Christian Holy Bible.
Emma
May 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Once again Sandra puts together a great book for the novice to intermediate student of shamanic studies. I was especially drawn to her section on death. She put forth some great insights that I wish more people embraced.
Dee Savoy
Jul 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Loved this book. My healing practice has been entirely changed by Shamanism. I wholeheartedly recommend to anyone interested in the oldest Spiritual practice on the planet.
Shane Titensor
Mar 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed and learn alot from this book.
Carrie
Aug 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
this book blew my mind.
Rachel
Very informative, not very exciting. Good as an intro to the study of shamanism, but at times hard to get through. Liked that it was cross-cultural and had multiple contributing authors.
Melita
May 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book! If you are new to Shamanism, it is very detailed, yet easy to read. If direct revelation is your gift, you will feel like you found home.
Molly
Aug 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012-books
Great that it comes with a cd! Tedious towards the end and I found myself losing interest/skimming. Not as readily practical as some other shamanic books.
Martin Hassman
Jul 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: shamanism
Kniha popisuje základy šamanismu ve velmi stravitelné a přijatelné podobě pro dnešního člověka. Jedná se asi o nejlepší knihu o šamanismu, jakou jsem kdy četl. Český překlad se povedl.
Marg
Jul 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Very good book Easy to read and clearly explains shamanism.
Ian
Oct 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing

Great read.... A bit basic but overall good.
Elizabeth
May 06, 2011 marked it as to-read
Shelves: get-again
from the library
a lot of pressure on this book
with a cd
Audrey
Feb 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Sandra Ingerman is a great teacher and storyteller. She shares history, geography and a modern approach to shaman spiritual practice.
Carol
Jul 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Enjoying the "Reconnecting with Nature" practices
Bridgett
Apr 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I really related to a lot of the ideas presented and I have a lot of new ideas to try out. This might be my favorite shamanism book I've read so far.
Leah
Sep 25, 2011
Breezy
Mar 13, 2015
Alice
Sep 15, 2013
  • Shaman, Healer, Sage: How to Heal Yourself and Others with the Energy Medicine of the Americas
  • The Woman in the Shaman's Body: Reclaiming the Feminine in Religion and Medicine
  • Shamanism as a Spiritual Practice for Daily Life
  • Animal Spirit Guides: An Easy-to-Use Handbook for Identifying and Understanding Your Power Animals and Animal Spirit Helpers
  • Fire in the Head: Shamanism and the Celtic Spirit
  • Plant Spirit Shamanism: Traditional Techniques for Healing the Soul
  • The World of Shamanism: New Views of an Ancient Tradition
  • Cave and Cosmos: Shamanic Encounters with Another Reality
  • Urban Shaman
  • Encyclopedia of Mystics, Saints  Sages: A Guide to Asking for Protection, Wealth, Happiness, and Everything Else!
  • Living Druidry
  • The Reluctant Shaman: A Woman's First Encounters with the Unseen Spirits of the Earth
Sandra Ingerman, MA, is the author of 8 books, 7 CD programs and the creator of Transmutation App. She is a world renowned teacher of shamanism and has been teaching for over 30 years.

She teaches workshops internationally on shamanic journeying, healing, and reversing environmental pollution using spiritual methods. She has trained and founded an international alliance of Medicine for the Earth
“Everything in your dream means exactly what you think it means.” 8 likes
“Love and a sense of calmness are the only things you need to bring to the experience of death.” 5 likes