Start by marking “Neuro Web Design: What Makes Them Click?” as Want to Read:
Neuro Web Design: What Makes Them Click?

Neuro Web Design: What Makes Them Click?

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  833 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
"While you're reading Neuro Web Design, you'll probably find yourself thinking 'I already knew that...' a lot. But when you're finished, you'll discover that your ability to create effective web sites has mysteriously improved. A brilliant idea for a book, and very nicely done."
- Steve Krug, author of Don't Make Me Think!
A Common Sense Approach to Web Usability

Why do peopl
Published March 30th 2009 by New Riders Publishing (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Neuro Web Design, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Neuro Web Design

Sandro
Feb 11, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm a little disappointed with this book because i've read from the same author, the book "100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know about People" (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10...). The later was written in 2011 while this one was in 2009.

I've started this one because the author refers to it several times in the other book, so i thought this one was better and more expansive in information. I was wrong.

This may seem unfair but now that i've read both, seems that the one from 2011 is just
Jeff Van Campen
This is a decent introduction to persuasive web design. If you've already read anything about persuasive technology, any recent pop psychology books or just watch a lot of TED talks, there probably won't be a lot that is new here.

Each chapter consists of a insights derived from psychology and neuroscience followed by a few quick examples. The examples felt a bit sparse at times. Since this is marketed as a "web design" book, I felt the book would have been better with more examples and better ex
Nathanael Coyne
Sep 02, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Nathanael by: Julie Watkins-Lyall
Shelves: work-related
Susan's book on psychology applied to web design is easy to read and packed with information. Having already read through Stephen P. Anderson's Mental Notes card deck which is partly based on this book I was already familiar with many of the concepts presented by Susan. There are sufficient citations to give this book credibility even though it doesn't read like an academic publication. Susan covers persuasion, social validation, the power of storytelling, reciprocity, scarcity, choice and more ...more
Rafael Bandeira
Jan 21, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed
Though the purpose of the book is quite interesting, I find the content pretty basic and the examples not very elucidative. It is a interestig read for those tryin to get their head started on he subject of psychology applied to design, but I would take it all with a grain of salt, for the concepts and techiniques are quite sensitive and although they can help you drive a more effective design from a business standpoint, it might as well harm the user experience and the product brand by followin ...more
Brom Kim
Jun 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been doing aesthetic, utilitarian, Web, graphic, message, and print design for years, but have never really dug into the psychological nuts and bolts of the craft.

This book gave me a whole new set of lenses through which to evaluate all of my communication work, far beyond the Web. Applications are obvious in instructional design, print, etc.

In addition to its relevance to my own work, I am giving this five stars because regardless of whether it is comprehensive or 100% accurate, it deliv
Roxane Lapa
Aug 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very easy reading material about the fascinating relationship between the different areas of the brain and their reactions to information presented in different ways, especially within a website environment. As both a web designer, as well as a lover of psychology, I found the parts regarding human behaviour particularly intriguing. The book is split up into manageable chunks which makes reading on-the-go, a pleasure, and much like social genius, Dale Carnegie, she thoughtfully summarises each c ...more
Georgi Varzonovtsev
The book contains a good dozen of guidelines on how to create more effective and engaging web sites. What I liked the most from the book though were not the guidelines but the nice explanation and examples of the theory and scientific experiments behind them. The author cites previous research in psychology and behavioral studies (you may already know some of these as I did) and from this research draws conclusions on what could be done in a web site in order it to have greater influence over th ...more
Daniel Wood
Mar 12, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: web
Not a bad read, particularly if you haven't read any psychology books before. If you have, most of the studies mentioned will be familiar, and not a lot is added here. Each principle is related back to Web Design, but in a simplistic way that hasn't dated well, so only the overall message is useful.

Give it a skim read if you're looking for fairly scientific approaches to improving website sales/engagement.
Вікторія Слінявчук
Книга Сьюзен Уэйншенк "Neuro Web Design" выходила на русском под названием "Интуитивный веб-дизайн", что, в общем-то, не вполне вполне точно передает смысл оригинального заголовка. Наверно, понятие "интуитивности" более распространенное и узнаваемое, однако эт книга - о нейромаркетинге, а не о usability в обычном понимании.
Сьюзен Уэйншенк использует триединую модель мозга (древний мозг, он же "рептильный"; средний мозг, или лимбическая система; неокортекс, или кора больших полушарий) для объясне
Omar Venturi
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ottimo nei contenuti, ma un po' "datato" nella forma... avevo già letto questo testo qualche anno fa e l'ho riletto ora e devo dire che ormai esistono testi con uno stile un po' più moderno e scorrevole.
Nonostante questo sia stato pubblicato prima (diversi esempi riportati su questo testo si trovano anche sui testi più recenti - basta controllare le mie recensioni per capire di cosa parlo) e per questa caratteristica va riconosciuto un primato a questo testo, non lo ritengo comunque un libro da
Timur
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Very shallow book. For the most part it is just a retelling of an "Influence" by Cialdini
Liesbeth
Feb 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interessant en supervlot geschreven. Het boekje leest als een trein en Weinschenk gebruikt zelf de technieken die ze beschrijft.
De principes uit het boek zijn niet nieuw of origineel, maar Weinschenk presenteert ze op zo'n manier dat je ze niet snel terug zal vergeten en dat je zin krijgt om er meteen mee aan de slag te gaan.
Ik vind het een aanrader.
Mark
Nov 23, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More of a book about how to sell people stuff than how to design a website, but I guess that's what websites are about mostly these days. It was pretty interesting learning about how the 3 parts of the brain (pre-frontal cortex responsible for reasoning, cortex responsible for emotion and brain stem responsible for our survival) all work together to help us make decisions. The primitive brain stem is sometimes quicker and has more influence on our decision making than we think. Lots of insights ...more
Arnaud
Aug 12, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: user-interaction
Say you have made a web site and you are looking for tricks to improve its efficiency and the number of clicks on it. This is the book you are looking for, especially if you are selling something.
This is of course very web-centric but since the author bases her analysis from scientific studies on brain behaviour, this knowledge can easily be transposed to marketing and user interaction design.
It is quick and easy to read and goes straight to the point. You’ll find yourself thinking “of course, I
Daguis
Jul 28, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Written by a psychologist, this book offers some insight about the well-known principles behind persuasive web design (scarcity, concession, social validation...)

The main focus is put on the psychological explanation of these concepts, and not that much on the examples of real web sites (with only a few examples and very briefly explained), but the insights on how the brain works and the explanation about psychological researches and behavioural studies are very enlightening. Plus, is very easy
Nick
Mar 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Neuro Web Design take the classic principles of influence and persuasion as elucidated by Cialdini and talks about how they work on the Web. As such, it's great applied thinking. If you know Cialdini, you won't learn a lot that's new, but it's a good refresher. If you don't know Cialdini, you'll find this fast read on persuasion very enlightening.
Josh Ferge
Nov 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book provides a great basic psychology background that every web dev could use. It also gives some great examples of techniques to improve certain aspects of websites. My only issues were due to some of the examples being scummy (dishonest or spammy). And as the web evolves, the web pages featured in the book are very quickly becoming out of date as far as design goes.
John
Jun 19, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Contains some interesting pieces of advice on what makes people click on various parts of a website from a psychological point of view.

Quotes some interesting research. A relatively easy read - worth reading if you want something light to stimulate your brain about the general subject of web design and psychology.
Dhuaine
Sep 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tech
Short and very concise. It makes the point straight and without redundant wordage. For someone like me, who had no idea about psychology, it was a perfect starter. :) It gets one star short of five though, because there's next to nothing about web design in it - just explaining how people/users/would-be customers work.
Dominic Bellavance
Beaucoup d'informations contenues dans ce livre sont reprises dans le livre 100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know about People qui, à mon avis, est meilleur que celui-ci.
Fritz Desir
Great read and a good intro guide how to use cognition and social psychology in design has some practical advice which can serve as a great proxy when primary research data is scarce. Would also recommend Stephen Anderson's, Jeff Johnson's (which I'm also reading) and BJ Fogg's books respectively on this same theme. This is not an appreciated topic IMHO, sorely needed. Kudos @thebrainlady!
Emily
Aug 24, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: design, psychology
While this book does come off as a little homemade, is still interesting, provides a good intro to the subject, and did have some interesting new-to-me principles to study further, which I am sure will provide me with future A/B tests.
Nacho Bassino
Aug 28, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Algunas ideas un tanto trilladas y algunas conclusiones tomadas a la ligera. Pero de todas formas un libro corto y de fácil lectura, que sirve para repasar algunos temas y sumar algunas ideas con costo bajo. No se si para comprar, pero si está a mano, pegarle una hojeada está ok.
G E R
Mar 05, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: work
Out of 170 pages - 10 pages preface, 20 pages index. Very low on information density, a lot of headlines, bottom lines, pictures, blank pages. The info itself - ok if you are just starting in the field, won't do if you search deeper understanding. Can not recommend.
Jason Bootle
Aug 17, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ux
Enjoyable, easy to read introduction to persuasive psychology as applied to web design. This being my first tackling of the subject it was a good primer but I felt some of the web examples were a tad weak and seemed forced. Having said that, a good read for web or business folk at any level.
Christian
This is an excellent fundamental book that begins to show how customers respond to marketing. I would recommend this as a springboard for further marketing research. It would also be valuable to anyone, marketer or otherwise, starting up a Web site and wanting to attract some attention.
Nick Warren
This is a book from my Semantic days, but it was the first time I had seen the different brains talked about in such a simple and persuasive form. It's over-simplified of course... but oh so engaging.

Especially recommended for web developers :-)
Sally Khoo
It presents "old theory" in a more attractive title: Web Design
as where this is the new platform of business war.

It directs the theory to web design concept. Reader or web site owner shall think hard enough to adapt it in order to success.

No simple formula to success
Gianluca Tuniz
Nov 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
si legge in 2 ore. interessanti spunti per capire come realizzare/modificare un sito di successo.
Rohan Gaikwad
Apr 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very well articulated and fun to read with many practical examples. Its worth to read if you like to understand how to leverage user's web surfing behavior especially in retail.
Best web design company in Bahrain 1 1 Sep 06, 2017 10:36PM
A must read book 1 2 Dec 28, 2016 02:59AM
  • Measuring the User Experience: Collecting, Analyzing, and Presenting Usability Metrics
  • Web Form Design: Filling in the Blanks
  • Prioritizing Web Usability
  • Designing Web Interfaces: Principles and Patterns for Rich Interactions
  • Simple and Usable Web, Mobile, and Interaction Design
  • Observing the User Experience: A Practitioner's Guide to User Research
  • Designing for the Digital Age: How to Create Human-Centered Products and Services
  • Storytelling For User Experience: Crafting Stories For Better Design
  • Mental Models: Aligning Design Strategy with Human Behavior
  • Forms That Work: Designing Web Forms for Usability
  • Handbook of Usability Testing: How to Plan, Design, and Conduct Effective Tests
  • Designing Social Interfaces
  • The Elements of User Experience: User-Centered Design for the Web
  • Designing with the Mind in Mind: Simple Guide to Understanding User Interface Design Rules
  • Designing Web Navigation
  • Designing for Interaction: Creating Smart Applications and Clever Devices
  • Seductive Interaction Design: Creating Playful, Fun, and Effective User Experiences
  • Remote Research: Real Users, Real Time, Real Research

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Susan Weinschenk has a Ph.D. in Psychology and over 30 years of experience as a behavioral psychologist. She applies neuroscience to predict, understand, and explain what motivates people and how to get people to take action.

Dr. Weinschenk is the author of several books, including How To Get People To Do Stuff, 100 Things Every Presenter Needs To Know About People, 100 Things Every Designer Needs
More about Susan M. Weinschenk

• The Second World War
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99
  • A Brief History of Everything
    $14.99 $2.99
  • The Invitation
    $12.24 $2.99
  • The World's Religions, Revised and Updated (Plus)
  • Leonardo's Notebooks
  • Leaving Church: A Memoir of Faith
  • Eating on the Wild Side: The Missing Link to Optimum Health
  • Love, Ellen: A Mother/Daughter Journey
    $10.24 $1.99
  • Secret Historian: The Life and Times of Samuel Steward, Professor, Tattoo Artist, and Sexual Renegade
  • Thinkertoys: A Handbook of Creative-Thinking Techniques
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Saving Alex: When I Was Fifteen I Told My Mormon Parents I Was Gay, and That's When My Nightmare Began
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Walden on Wheels: On the Open Road from Debt to Freedom
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Clapton: The Autobiography
    $11.99 $1.99
“Our brains are built to process pictures, and we think in pictures, so presenting information as pictures is the most efficient way to present information to people.” 0 likes
“What does happen is that if we give them a gift, we will trigger a feeling of indebtedness—a feeling of indebtedness that they’ll want to get rid of by responding with gifts or favors.” 0 likes