Jump to ratings and reviews

Sutton #2

Defeat

A self-proclaimed bachelor, content on his own. A runaway bride, searching for her freedom.
They may seem like they’ve got nothing in common, but the tiniest sparks make the biggest flames.

Delaney Lewis is desperate for her freedom. From her controlling mother and the man she left standing at the altar.

Her best friend is more than happy to help her escape and sets Delaney up at her soon to be brother-in-law’s house while he’s out of town, confident that when David comes home—he’ll do whatever it takes to keep Delaney safe from her crazy family.

David Sutton finds the surprise of a lifetime when he discovers a woman sleeping soundly in his bed. When she explains how she ended up there, David’s heart and mind slowly open, leading to a permanent place to stay, a job, and best of all, a new outlook.

The woman who was much like a stranger before, slowly becomes his friend…with a few intimate perks and before they know it, real sparks start to fly.

407 pages, Kindle Edition

Published March 3, 2023

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Evelyn Sola

14 books506 followers
A Boston native, wife, mother, and wine enthusiast. If she’s not writing, thinking about writing, you will find Evelyn with a book in her hands. While a new publisher, she’s been writing for years, and she will continue to write for many years to come.
Evelyn is obsessed with assertive and confident men who will stop at nothing to get their woman. Her stories are filled with love, passion and humor.
She currently lives in Washington, DC with her husband and two daughters.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Displaying 1 - 30 of 100 reviews
Profile Image for Rosie.
1,256 reviews35 followers
March 20, 2023
This is another 5-Star read brought to you by Evelyn Sola!

I truly wish book amnesia was a thing because I need it with Evelyn Sola books.

If you've read 'Downfall' then you already know that Delaney was teased in the last chapter of that book. She became a !

In Defeat, we learn that she did indeed listen to her heart. She sends a SOS message to her bestie and beau and the next thing we know she's out of there on the first thing smokin'.

As the church gets swallowed up by the distance of the getaway car Delaney has her—What next moment? AND Where do I go from here?

The where she's going is taken care of by Max who gives Delaney the keys to his brother David's house. Somebody should have told David because when he comes home to find he's not alone and that his kitty kat has switched allegiances, he's not a happy camper. Initially, he wants her gone but as they slowly settle into a daily routine David finds that he likes her company and he likes her.

Delaney grows and discovers she has a lot to offer and I was with her for every step of the way for her journey. David was a great support system for Delaney and helped her tremendously in trying to escape the clutches of her crazy family and ex-fiancé who sadly didn't want to take no for an answer.

But who really opened my eyes in this story was Caleb! Who knew, he'd really be good at something and there's a inkling of a possible romance on the horizon for Caleb and Jade. Now, that's another story I want to read and readers will get their chance to read their story eventually. I loved it!

Highly, highly Recommended: Read It!

Be sure to read: 'Downfall' (Max and Summer):

Here's a link to my GR review of one of my favorite ES books—'Takeover' (Ethan, Tara & Vinnie) : https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Here's a AMZ link (w/1,385 Reviews) for 'Takeover' (Ethan, Tara & Vinnie):
Profile Image for Steph's Romance Book Talk.
2,604 reviews1,250 followers
February 21, 2023
4.5 Stars / 3.5 Steam Fans

I was a little on edge about David's playboy history and Delaney's family issues but as the story unfolded I loved this relationship! Even though the story is over my 300-page preference it never felt like it dragged or slowed at any point.

CW: Abusive Family Dynamics, Runaway Bride, Toxic Parents, Marriage of Convenience, Mental and Emotional Abuse

Video review available in Week 8: Feb 19 – Feb 25, 2023, weekly book reviews on Steph's Romance Book Talk (https://www.youtube.com/@stephsromanc...)
Profile Image for BookKraves.
264 reviews33 followers
Enamored

Ms. Evelyn Sola did not come to play! Defeat is a fantastic read and one you will not be putting down. From the get-go, I was emotionally connecting with the characters, and let's not talk about the angst because it's gripping. I highly recommend you download this book.
Profile Image for SaviLeeLind .
489 reviews9 followers
March 4, 2023
Defeat was easily one of my favorite books this year. I anticipated David and Delaney, and Evelyn Sola delivered me a full course meal.

Loyalty, love, jealousy, attraction, and complete utter devotion are just a few of the words to describe the relationship between the 2. They find each other to be the forbidden fruit, and David’s temptation level was just as high as Maxwells. The story is spicy and romantic, all rolled into one.

Delaney started as a runaway bride, who went into hiding after jilting her fiancé Mitchell and defying her family. Scared, but determined she was going to live her life as she wanted to do for once. Summer being her best friend, and closer than her actual family makes sure Delaney is somewhere safe and off the radar for everyone looking for her. Being honeymoon bound that place is David’s.

The first introduction is awkward and comical with David finding her asleep in his bed. When she declares it was more comfortable and makes the trek from his room to hers it’s a moment where that mutual attraction is felt albeit it very silently.
The more time they spend getting to know one another they shed the brother-in-law and best friend titles slowly moving to friends. David defends her from her toxic family and shields her from her persistent ex fiancé.

When Delaney’s bold actions leads them to cross that imaginary line they begin a complicated but comfortable friends with benefits agreement. Boundaries were set and emotions were off the table. However between David and Delaney the fierce intensity gave way go jealousy , possessiveness and more. Every rule was broken, every emotion was awakened, and both have no idea where things will go.

I devoured the story of our second Sutton brother and I would love to relive it all over again. You need this book in your kindle and on your shelf!
Profile Image for Cici.
207 reviews7 followers
March 5, 2023
Thoughts

I'm a huge fan of this author, she's top two but ain't two. I've re-read all her books so it pains me to say Delaney should have stayed a side character. She was boring, she had no goals or ambition other than to get away from being dependent on her family, she chose to solve this by being dependent on a man she barely knew. Delaney didn't need David, she needed a therapist & a life coach. Her sleeping in his bed was weird & creepy same way it would be if a man did it. The heroine being obnoxious & needy isn't endearing or charming. She was pathetic the entire story. I had hope she would find her independence but no, she let David solve all her problems like she was a child. Having been controlled with money by her mom, she should have been against letting a man buy her a car, give her a job etc. She was such a letdown compared to this author's previous heroines. A self respected woman would have moved with summer & max after their vacation but no, she decided to impose on a man she barely knew because she was hot for him. She had no personality outside of being a victim & her desperate need to be loved by David. I enjoyed the rest of the characters very much. David deserved better than Delaney. This was a step down from the first book in this series. Delaney should have gone on a tinder date, at least that would've increase the anticipation of her & David getting together because her living with him & acting like a horny kicked puppy killed the build up. I'm giving 5 stars because this author's work has been stellar but that magic didn't translate here, I think Delaney being a lifeless & boring damsel is why. She also talked about mitch way too much considering she had no feelings for him so it's odd she talked about him like he broke her heart. P.s. Celia in the hotel room with a sleeping max could be seen as assault. I was surprised that was never mentioned in either book while she's threatening retribution.

Profile Image for Nadia Latai (Nadiasbookishworld86).
253 reviews20 followers
March 3, 2023
“Never again. Never will I let anyone else dictate my life’s choices. Never again will I be like that frog in the pot of water oblivious to its escalating heat. From this day forward, it’s my life and I’m taking full control.”

David and Delaney 😍😍😍

Defeat (Book 2 of Sutton Series )

OBSESSED!!!!! I will forever read Evelyn’s books …

When Billionaire grump and businessman David Sutton finds Runaway Bride Delaney in his bed unaware, he’s both annoyed and attracted to the beautiful stranger. The best friend of his brother’s fiancé , Delaney is both a challenge and a mystery. Is a possible friendship possible for these two, or is there more on the table?

I enjoyed the interaction between these housemates so much ! Crazy and controlling family drama . Close proximity. Fresh start at independence. The friendship between Delaney and bestie Summer are goals …. Evelyn Sola knows how to write the best interracial romance of opposites attracts , chosen family ties, journey of love and loyalty.

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Profile Image for June.
33 reviews
February 15, 2023
I loved this book so much!!! David was exactly what Delaney needed because with him, it wasn’t about control, it was about her being free. Max and Summer are still my favorite Evelyn Sola couple of all time but I enjoyed Delaney and David
Profile Image for Hawo ☆.
56 reviews
January 31, 2023
It was soo good? The plot. The tension. David and Delaney were it I loved it. And my heart every time Summer and max we’re mentioned. Def will be rereading in the future.
Profile Image for Reading by Deb.
741 reviews18 followers
March 10, 2023
It's 5:00 in the morning and she is in the backseat wearing new pajamas with a small carrying case of clothes and toiletries all at the generosity of her best friend Summer and her fiance Max. They are currently driving her the Max's brother's townhouse so she can be away from everyone as she decides what she is going to do next.

It had only been a few hours since Delaney had run, leaving her fiance at the altar, but she just couldn't go through with it. She despised the man and only had gotten that far because of her mom's bullying. All night she had nightmares that had Mitch sprouting wings and his sharp talons sinking into her to return her back to the church.

When they finally arrived she looks through the window in shock...townhouse? They were approaching a mini-mansion with a four-car garage. Summer and Max were leaving for a trip out of the country and assured her that she would be alone as his brother David was out of town.

The owner's cat Pumpkin kept returning to the master bedroom every time she tried to get her to sleep with her. Not wanting to be alone she decided to follow the cat instead of sleeping in the guest room.

David had gone to a destination wedding of one of his college buddies and was glad to have time away from the office for the first time in over a year. He was looking forward to spending time with one of the many women looking for a meaningless night of ecstasy...what could go wrong?

It turns out that the resort was for couples...taking away any chance he had of hooking up with anyone. Then his flight back to Boston was delayed for several hours and then had to drive home after landing at 1:00 in the morning. All he wanted was to see his cat, crawl in bed and sleep for a week, except he had to be at work the next day.

David had stripped down to his boxers and dropped into bed only to snap up immediately. Instead of his cool sheets he had landed on a warm body.

I loved this book! It is very well written and the characters are fully developed and relatable. This is a friends-with-benefits, age-gap, interracial romance. Although this book can be read as a standalone novel I would highly suggest that you start with book one of the series as the characters are recurring and it will give you the full dynamics of these two brothers, Maxwell and David and a bit of backstory into drama not relating to Delaney and David's relationship.

Delaney has always had everything she wanted in life...except a choice. Her family and her mother in particular have no consideration for what she wants in life. Her mother just wants complete control and she will go to whatever lengths possible. This woman has no conscience.

David is a known playboy and despite his brother's warnings to stay away from Summer's best friend enters into a secret no-strings friends-with-benefits relationship, but as he sees the continued mistreatment she is receiving from her family he will do anything to protect her.

This book will keep you laughing. Evelyn Sola has created the perfect villains because Delaney's mother and Mitch are just not right in the head. Max and David continue their fight over ownership of Pumpkin. If you want a steamy laugh-out-loud read look no further. I can't wait to read clueless Caleb's story.

Highly recommend!
Profile Image for Cammyjoe.
931 reviews6 followers
March 11, 2023
Love Found Us

Ms Evelyn, I love the way you developed David character, some people might calling him immature but what I see it’s someone playful, with a wonderful sense of humor…loyal, hard working and he was living up his life as a bachelor until he got « Max ‘s bug » called LOVE. Love caught him by surprise !!
The two brothers couldn’t be more different …and their banter and their love for each other are 👍👍
Delaney, I am proud of you, couldn’t be easy to get out of Lynn’s grips, but I am so glad you gave your Dad a chance. He is redeemable !
Claire and Minnie , I love you ladies !
Damon, shame on you… Delaney got it right when she called you out of your name.
Mitch, hopefully you will get what’s coming your way, I have a feeling your « good fortune «  is running out.

Fingers crossed 🤞 Caleb & Jade ???? !!!!

Great read !!
Profile Image for Kashi Ashley-Ann Lowe.
441 reviews6 followers
March 18, 2023
David is the man

Max I love you but I love David more lol!!! I really enjoyed Delaney and David coming together, I’m happy he was finally found the one to help him move from his bachelor phase to a man who’s happy to have a woman. Dalaney, you deserve it all girl, a man that has you back and your new family that treats you the way you deserve. Ms Sola did a number on this book and I’m here for it. Now hopefully Caleb and Jade gets their story next. Kudos
Profile Image for Pamelon.
748 reviews11 followers
March 6, 2023
I'm addicted to Evelyn Sola's books and characters 🤩😍

Defeat ( Book 2 of the Sutton series. This is Davie and Delaney's story. It's full of treachery, deceit which was a contribution from Delaney's family is so cruel. Especially her mom Lynne!! Davie and Delaney gave each other strength, peace, and pure love!! Anything that Delaney's family denied her Davie supplied. I mean everything. 🥰🥰🥰 Check it out
2 reviews
March 13, 2023
I'm a fan of this author's work. She has some fun, steamy books, including this one. Overall, it was an easy and enjoyable read. I feel the drama with the heroine's family went on too long and it started to feel far-fetched, which is why I gave it three stars. If you've liked other books from this author, you'll love this one as well.
39 reviews2 followers
Simply marvelous.

I laughed, I cried. This book had me from page one. David was fire. I enjoyed reading about Delaney coming into her own.
Profile Image for Katy.
690 reviews46 followers
March 23, 2023
(I received an ARC for this book)

I want to say ‘this book wasn’t for me’, except it was! It included SO many of my favorite tropes. Moments and characters I enjoyed. Unfortunately, it just kept disappointing me. David’s soon to be sister in law assumes he’ll protect her best friend, so she moves Delaney into his house while he’s away. And it was a good assumption. A safe place to stay, the possibility of a new job, and most importantly: a place to live her best life. I wasn’t even a full page in and I wanted to hug Delaney, protect her from the evils that haunt her. Very quickly, David pegs her as a pampered princess, and not the kind he enjoys. And while I understand her situation, she’s not the kind I want anything to do with either. I have to applaud her for realizing how naive and sometimes immature she could be. Delaney was blind to the world around her. So while I was meant to like her more as the story progressed, I started to like her less. Which annoyed me considering how much I liked her at the start! I had decided to just stick around for the drama, and wait for everything to implode. But by 50%, I was so over the family frama. I genuinely had no more interest in those terrible people. Especially when the work related drama was introduced. (Why?!) Once we hit that third act, I didn’t think David and Delaney were meant to have a happily ever after, more of a happy for now. His lightbulb moment, and fear of losing her didn’t make sense in the moment. There were just too many things I didn’t like for me to enjoy the things I truly liked.

My Favorite Quotes:
• “Every man’s fantasy, you are. Beautiful, passionate, and horny.”
• “I like my women a little older and a lot more jaded.”
• “Take me all the way to the back of your throat like you did before. That’s all I’ve been able to think about all day.”
• “Put your money where your pussy is.”
• “You’re beautiful when you come.”

7/10 Dirty Birdy
5/10 Age Gap
7/10 Forced Proximity
5/10 Friends to Lovers
4/10 The CEO Type
5/10 Workplace Romance
1 review2 followers
March 3, 2023
If you read Evelyn Sola before you know you are in for a treat with the second book from the Sutton Series. You meet both David and Delaney in Book #1. (I highly recommend Downfall: Sutton #1 too).
David is your typical Bachelor, he likes his life and isn't thinking of changing it until Delaney unexpectedly lands in his bed, he literally finds her sleeping in his bed when he comes back from a trip. I feel like coming into book 2 you had a glimpse of David's personality and you know a lot about Delaney's life which isn't as easy as it seems on the surface. This story exceeded my expectations for these two characters.

What I love about this book: You get to witness Delaney find herself. She doesn't really know who she is outside her family's expectations. She realizes the only real decision she has made for herself is running away from her wedding (not a spoiler this sets the stage for the book). At first, its hard to understand how she let herself be so controlled but Evelyn does a great job of painting a picture of how suddenly one day someone can look up and not recognized how they got here or even who they are and what happens when you decide to take your life back on your own terms.

What I also love: David's transformation and Delaney's rebirth. I love how these two, even with their age gap, grow through this story. They both were missing something and in true Evelyn Sola fashion she creates a story where they find it in each other when they weren't even looking.

This is a slow burn so be prepared to enjoy the ride. Its a great read and I expected nothing less from this author. I couldn't put it down.

It also has one of my favorite bonus epilogues so don't forget to download it.
Profile Image for Alex Davenport.
58 reviews
I can’t get enough!
Reviewed in the United States on March 4, 2023
The prompt from Amazon to write this review asks what I like or did not like about this book. Neither described how I felt about this book (and series, if I’m honest). I LOVED this book.

This book is part of a series - David’s brother Max’s story is book 1 - but you don’t have to read book 1 to understand this story. However, you absolutely should! When I tell you that I love this author, I’m not kidding. She should be happier we aren’t friends in real life, because I would never let her out of the writing cave or give her a moment of peace about what she’s writing.

David comes home from a quick trip to unexpectedly find that he is hosting his brother’s fiancée’s runaway bride best friend, Delaney. While he’s not happy about it, he agrees since it’s just for a few days. Due to his own past, David does not have a positive view of Delaney. As he gets to know her, and her story, that changes. Sparks fly between the two and as neither is looking for a relationship- Delaney because she just ended one & David because he’s relationship avoidant- enter into a fwb agreement focused on passion & not permanence. Luckily, this foolish pact fails, and the two get their HEA.

This book is so amazing. I received an ARC in exchange for voluntarily leaving my review. Since first reading, I went back to read Max & Summer’s book and am currently rereading this book. I suspect (and hope) that there will be a third book in the series. I will be purchasing all of the books. The writing & story is that good!

Buy, one-click in KU, do whatever to read this book. If you really love yourself, you’ll read Max & Summer’s story, too. I do have to warn you that Evelyn Sola will have you hooked!
1 review
March 3, 2023
I'm a big fan of this author's work, & her newest didn't disappoint. In Defeat you've got a self-proclaimed playboy who meets his damsel in distress. Eventually, they negotiate a friends with benefits situationship but end up falling for each other.

I loved the FMC, who you initially think is a shrinking flower based off the picture painted in Book 1, but we learn Delaney is more than that. For so long she has lived her life under the scrutiny of her family, who care more about establishing a dynasty than her well-being. The degree she seeks, the job she takes, the man she marries, everything is laid out for her without her input. Finally, she has enough & goes runaway bride.

In this book Delaney learns who she is and what she deserves. Over the course of the book, David & Delaney grow into a friendship that develops into more. Completely opposite of her ex-fiance, David shows a million times over how thoughtful & attentive he can be. He showers his lady with the intimacy & passion she had never been on the receiving end of. These two have great chemistry & it oozes out of the page.

My only quibble with the book deals with the main antagonist, Delaney's mom. Throughout the book, the buildup to learning why her mother acts the way she does didn't pack the punch I expected it to. So much of her interactions with Delaney, specifically her meddling with her daughter's engagement, made me think something truly sinister was at play. In the end, I felt the motivation behind it all as lackluster. With that being said, I'd still say this book (I received as an ARC) was solid and a very entertaining read.
5 reviews
March 7, 2023
Annoying man child

Who was 24 in this book? Although Delaney was younger and lived a sheltered life, she was more mature than David. First night, the guy literally breaks all his rules and then acts surprised that people may think him and Delaney are together! He was always talking for Delaney when it seemed like she was handling situations just fine on her own. The way he treated Jade was out of line and Delaney never saying anything annoyed me, Jade and Delaney have had their issues, and have seemed to squash their problems but he was still very aggressive towards Jade. I get it, She played a part at one point, but she literally showed no ounce of going against Delaney when they reconnected. He literally wanted her to be only for him but still had other women calling/texting him, I honestly just did not like David.

I liked Delaney. She stood up for herself once she got it all figured out. She didn't cry and complain about how shit things got. She had her moment where she would understandable breakdown, but it didn't keep her down long,she picked herself back up. It helped that she had David and Summer.

Her family sucked and it was nice to see her stand on her own.

But it got to be around 70%, and I was over the book and wanted it to end. It started well and then just dragged on, and i just skipped to the end. I like this author, so I'll definitely read the next book, which I hope is Caleb and Jade ( I like her character, and I hope she gets her happy ending). I didn't hate the book, just not one of my favorite of hers.

Rating: 4.5
February 27, 2023
Troupes
BWWM
Age Gap

Trigger Warnings
Abuse (Emotional, Physical. and Mental)
Violence

Delaney ran away from the biggest mistake ever by running out the chapel before she said I do. She's a runaway bride that didn't want to marry a man she hates for the sake of her parents approval. If you've read Downfall then you already know about the ending of the book 1 Delaney running out the church with her bestie Summer and her fiancee Max helping her escape. David has been a bachelor and definitely enjoys that lifestyle so to his surprise when finding a woman in his bed with his cat cuddled around her feet. Delaney needs a place to hide out until she can figure things out before she confronts her family and ex fiancee Mitch. The offer from Max was for her to hide at his brothers home since he was out of town where her family couldn't find her. When she's woken up by David furious that she's in his bed and especially the way his body is reacting to her he wants answers. Delaney and David are fighting temptation across the board in this story. Delaney's family and ex fiancee need the strongest pimp slap known to the damn universe the way they treated her. I loved how David protected Delaney and also their story is now my favorite by far. This man was so damn FYNE it should be a crime and the way his sexytime was givin BIG DADDY BDE was wow!This book was top tier !!
February 28, 2023
4.5/5 Stars!

I really enjoyed this second book in the Sutton series! I even enjoyed it a lot more than the first book! I fell in love with Delaney and David was the perfect protective boyfriend! And I love a male who loves cats!

This was the best slow burn without feeling like it was way too slow but David and Delaney's attraction felt natural and perfectly drawn out! David was so adorable and I loved how quickly he became protective of Delaney over her family! I was so happy to have little parts of Summer and Max and their HEA mixed in!

Delaney was such a strong character and I loved watching her grow into such an independent woman who knew what she wanted and wouldn't let anyone get in the way even her own parents. She was such a funny outgoing ball of energy and I adored her. Ever since I read Downfall I couldn't wait to read about David and see inside his head! It was so adorable to see him be so set in not having intimacy or a relationship and how quickly that feeling went down the drain.

This book made me swoon, smile, and giggle and even managed to shock me(in an excited way). The steamy, spicy scenes were delicious and I constantly had to fan myself while reading! I miss the Sutton brothers already!

*I received an ARC from the author and Literally Yours PR in exchange for an honest review
Profile Image for Willie-mai.
237 reviews
March 3, 2023
Delaney is a runaway bride and David is self-professed permanent bachelor who has a different woman every day of the week. Delaney is the best friend of David’s older brother Max fiancée! After making a life altering decision, she needs a place to stay where her family can’t find her. Max offers up his brother’s home since he’s out of town. Let’s just say when these two meet there’s enough sparks to light a fire and some hilarity ensued. It started out as helping Max’s fiancee bff and turned into a makeshift friendship that doesn’t seem to be following the rules of regular friendships. Defeat is an excellently well written book! It’s captivating, entertaining and will hold your interest from beginning to the end. It is sexy, funny, with a lot of spice and chemistry between David and Delaney but also had drama, and some really hilarious moments! It’s one of best books of Evelyn Sola that I’ve read and trust me I love all of her books! Great character development and the storyline just flowed effortlessly! Awesome job!! I would highly recommend this book and I’m looking forward to reading Caleb’s story as he’s grown up a lot between book one and two!.

2 reviews
March 3, 2023
Ever been in relationship where you’re not happy and you know he is not the right one for you but you don’t want deal with repercussions of a break up? No? Well me either but Delaney finds herself in this predicament and finally gets the courage to do the right thing.

David is self proclaimed man whore no correction slut (but hey it’s 2023 and we are not here to slut shame) and he is living his best life.

They meet in the cutest way and sparks fly and the massage conversation is endearing and funny.

Defeat (my take) is about finding the right person at the wrong time and the power of friendship and family( only David’s family tho because Delaney’s family is trash) and chosen family( Summer is still awesome friend).
The best part is seeing David being so protective of Delaney almost from the beginning and their relationship development.
This a full length novel with very likable supporting cast (my fav is aunt Minnie)
Five stars for growth and character development.

I can’t wait for Caleb story just to get more of D&D and Pumpkin.

Profile Image for Barbara.
27 reviews3 followers
The Pampered Princess & The Bachelor
Evelyn Sola did it again. This the story of Delaney Lewis & David Sutton. What happens when a pampered princess & commitment phobic bachelor share living space? Fireworks of course! David provides Delaney with a safe space to learn who she is without family expectations. Delany provides David with sex without commitment. Will they be able to share a living space and a bed without complications? You will have to read to find out. Their journey to self-discovery and acceptance of themselves & each other is very well written. There are many heartwarming moments between this couple. I felt the intense chemistry between Delaney & David as their story developed.
The support & advise provided by their family and friends helped the couple navigate through their situation-ship. The story is filled with romance & passion, heartwarming and laugh out loud moments. I hope Jacob & Jade will have their own story. I highly recommend the story of Delaney & David.
Profile Image for Fern.
542 reviews9 followers
March 12, 2023
I really love this second book (more than the previous one)!!!! Evelyn Sola really had me reading all night long! There was never a dull moment! Delaney's parents and brother were out of control but especially her mother. Mitch, her ex was truly evil and we do not find out until near the end, as to why he was pushing marriage to Delaney! I had a feeling that if she had gone through with the marriage (instead of escaping at the wedding), she would find out that he is abusive; both verbally (which was shown in the previous book) and physically after they married. He was over the top! I like her cousin, Jade and she showed Delaney that she was really family to her. Of course, the villain from the previous book cannot stop her nasty ways and shows up in this one which makes it even more interesting! I love drama and author Ms Sola brought it in this story! I am anxious for the next book and a continuance of the Sutton family! I also hope that cousin, Caleb gets a woman in his life (maybe cousin Jade)! This was a great read!
Profile Image for Amy M. (Amy Loves Reading Blog).
636 reviews46 followers
March 12, 2023
Wow! I have only ever read one other by this author and my goodness did this one blow my mind!! So much happened in the span of this book and mostly left my jaw on the floor in SHOCK! Incredible story!

I felt every pain Delaney felt, ever ounce of shock, shudder, anguish and so much more! This author knew how to make you feel each moment with a few words! This poor woman has gone through an entire lifetime of hurt and the hits just kept coming! I knew things would take a turn but I honestly thought they would take a COMPLETELY different turn!

David is such a smug jerk and I honestly didn’t like him for a very long time! Even though you could feel the two of them had towards each other, I couldn’t help but hope for a different outcome. His reputation kept following him at every turn and I could just feel the hurt from Delaney.

I can’t wait to read more from these group of friends and family! I also need to go back and read book 1 but it was still so amazing!! I couldn’t put it down and just loved each detail and feeling I could feel coming off the pages!!
3 reviews
February 6, 2023
Wow, wow, wow. This book was chef kiss 🤌🤌.
David and Delaney were so unexpected, but I had so much fun following their journey. They worked so well together, and he always protected her.
But one thing Evelyn writes best is a toxic af mum. Delaney had the worst family ever, but thank god for the Sutton brothers. I loved this book so much, and this was a highly anticipated read of mine.

The plot was so well written and thought out. I lived for the Max and Summer cameos and loved to see Max still being so possessive over her ❤️. Summer and an unexpected someone were really good friends to Delaney and really supported her through the book.The tension between David and Delaney was so thick I could feel from the other side of the screen. Those two are good for each other and can't wait to see more of them in the future.

I don't want to spoil too much, but this was 5/5 star read for and highly recommend.
Profile Image for Shannin King.
24 reviews
March 4, 2023
First things, first Mitch can catch these hands.

I love this book, Evelyn always writes great alpha males. This story is about Delaney and David. David is Maxwell’s little brother from the first book of the Sutton brothers series and Delaney is Summers. Best friend, who is a runaway bride. At first I thought Delaney was a little naïve, but she did redeem herself in the middle of the book. I enjoyed their friends to lovers a relationship, and the interactions between them in the house as roommates. I loved how Delaney was able to find herself and learn what she like, and what she wanted in a relationship. I do feel like David should have done more groveling when he screwed up. But I love the fact that he was a man who was very possessive when it came to Delaney.
It was a great read. I really really enjoyed it.

Profile Image for KD3.
16 reviews1 follower
Defeated
Evelyn is so great at bringing characters together in the most unlikely situations.
Defeat continues with our characters from Downfall.
Delaney has run away from her wedding. Her best friend Summer and Summer’s fiancé Maxwell have hidden her away from her family and ex-fiancé Mitch. Maxwell’s brother David is away so they have hidden her at David’s home. David is unaware of his house guest when he returns home early. David instantly has negative feelings about Delaney because he also had a fiancé years that called off their wedding making David the now well-known and unabashed playboy. David knows Delaney type rich and spoiled so he sees Delaney as a pampered princess until he meets her family and ex-fiancé.
Evelyn slowly begins to tell a story of 2 people learning to find themselves falling in love.
Defeat brings humor, love, family dysfunction at all levels and lots of chemistry between our 2 main characters.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 100 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.