Start by marking “Thin, Rich, Pretty” as Want to Read:
Thin, Rich, Pretty

Thin, Rich, Pretty

From The New York Times bestselling author of Hope In a Jar, Secrets of a Shoe Addict, and Shoe Addicts Anonymous, comes a novel about old rivalries, deep secrets, and the three things all women wish they were,

Twenty years ago, when they were teenagers, Holly and Nicola were the outsiders at summer camp. Holly was the plump one, a dreamer who longed to be an artist. Nicola
Published July 6th 2010 by St. Martin's Press (first published June 29th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Thin, Rich, Pretty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thin, Rich, Pretty

Mockingjay by Suzanne CollinsSpirit Bound by Richelle MeadClockwork Angel by Cassandra ClareLast Sacrifice by Richelle MeadRoom by Emma Donoghue
Best Books of 2010
1,441 books — 2,513 voters
The Girl on the Train by Paula HawkinsGone Girl by Gillian FlynnMe Before You by Jojo MoyesThe Rosie Project by Graeme SimsionBig Little Lies by Liane Moriarty
Best Beach Reads 2015
1,826 books — 2,415 voters

More lists with this book...

Feb 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Beth Harbison is one of my new favorite authors after having discovered her in fall of 2009 when I read Shoe Addicts Anonymous (2007). The events that transpired in Secrets of a Shoe Addict (2008) even inspired me to open a new business (ahem), although short-lived, was very lucrative for me. I highly encourage you to pick up a Beth Harbison novel if you haven't already; I promise you'll fall in love.

Thin, Rich, Pretty begins twenty years ago, when three teenage girls are all outsiders in their
gille
Jul 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It was completely different than the books I usually read - it was not about women in relation to the men in their lives. Rather, it was about friendship, lives forged by events that are both in our control and beyond our control, and coming into what yo always wanted, to find it's not necessarily the dream you had held.

Thin, Rich, Pretty follows three woman in two different time periods - in sleep away camp when they were 13 and in the present. Holly and Nicola formed a life-
Elizabeth
Jul 21, 2010 rated it liked it
This is the first novel from Beth Harbison that I've read and I enjoyed it. It was funny, moving and unpredictable! Thin, Rich Pretty is about three women Holly, Nicola, and Lexi who go through drama and tribulations to find true happiness in life. The first several chapters alternate between their present lives (20s to 30s) and past lives when they were 13-15 year olds. Back at camp when they were young, Holly and Nicola despised Lexi who they thought was a snob so they stole her jewelery and h ...more
Stacy
Mar 14, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: pink-cover-genre
Completely predictable. I keep searching for good quality chick lit, but this doesn't make the list.

I think the author got excited about using a "20 years later" theme because it was a good round number. But I had no idea how these girls became who they were at age 33 (all single and without kids, but barely any mention of past loves) because she just doesn't fill in the holes for us. The worst example of this was the rich girl who still lives in her parents' house at age 33 and who has never w
Mallory
Sep 01, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: chic-lit
Lexie, Holly, and Nicola first met twenty years ago at Summer camp where a life long friendship was made between Holly and Nicola, and something very special is taken from Lexie. Twenty years later, their paths cross once again. Holly is tired of being "the fat girl" and starves herself into losing 20 pounds thinking it will buy her love. Nicola is tired of being ugly and gets a nose job hoping it'll boost her acting career, but the change is so dirastic she is no longer marketable. Lexie, who g ...more
Finn
Aug 16, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
**Spoiler Alert*
Interesting but highly unlikely and unbelievable situations.. that kind of ruined it for me. I mean, whose father leaves millions of dollars to the wicked stepmother in hopes that she will share it with his daughter?? Who is 33 years old and has no useful job skills? Or who becomes totally unrecognizable and very beautiful when she has a nose job? (And who hates the nose job when it makes her suddenly beautiful? And who is grateful when someone hits her in the nose...) OK, sorry,
Alicia
Aug 25, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had a hard time relating to the characters of the book. At times it felt like there was no real character development and halfway through, when I figured out the plot of the story I was disappointed. I don't want to include spoilers but it just didn't seem "real". The overall message of the book was good and well received, and it was believable based on the limited amount of character development. However, at the end I realized that I just didn't care enough about any of the women to care abou ...more
Katie
Jul 25, 2010 rated it it was ok
This was a referral from mom. She said it was a fast breezy read and it was...it just wasn't as good as it could have been. The book alternates chapters between the present and 20 years ago and then is divided among three characters. I didn't really care about the characters because I didn't really get a chance to know them. The book had potential, but the author should've picked one character and focused on that.
Elizabeth
Oct 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Cute concept. I liked the back and forth from summer camp to present day. It's a nice message -- learning to love ourselves as is.
Julia
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
Light, fluffy, easy read. A very long buildup, no real character developments, several impossible-to-the-point-of-absurdity coincidences and of course everything works out perfectly for everybody in the end. This is normally the kind of book I like to read as a palate cleanser after a serious, real book.
Minty McBunny
Oct 27, 2017 rated it liked it
This was fun, fluffy, very light chick lit, good for an easy escapist read.
Shonda
Oct 10, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2010
Holly, Nicola and Lexi first meet at summer camp. Lexi was the mean girl who hung out with even meaner girls. Holly was overweight and very self-conscious. Nicola was painfully shy and never felt pretty thanks to her perception of her nose.

Holly and Nicola became fast friends. They often found themselves enduring the wrath of Lexi and her friends. Until one they, both decide to get their revenge.

Fast forward twenty years later. Holly is now dating Randy and they’ve just gotten engaged. Well, pre
chippyvale
Aug 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: love, chick-lit
I checked out this book from the library on a whim since it's the last of my summer holidays before college starts and I have to say, I really like this! :) The first few chapters are a lil disconcerting to me because it flips from the present to 20 years ago where the girls were in camp, and back to the present. But it wasn't that big an issue when it gets to the middle.

What I really dig about this book is the relationships between the characters that Beth Harbison had so nicely weaved. Holly
Rachel Wolohan
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another good book from Harbison! I liked the friendships and the flashbacks. It was neat how she developed this story. Throwing a love relationship in the book is always a high point for me as well!
Tatiana
Feb 08, 2011 rated it did not like it
This book was suggested to me by a good friend and now I'm not sure that good friend is truly good...kidding! This book was awful. Complete torture to finish. This friend of mine suggested it only because she'd read other books by the author which were awesome and figured this would be about the same. The idea behind the book is great but its been done and the characters were very dry. I developed zero emotional connection to any part of this book even though I thought for sure I would based on ...more
Dina Roberts
Nov 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
I liked this book. It was fun and easygoing. I especially liked how the book showed the viewpoint of a "mean girl", and what that revealed.

The message of the book is that you don't have to be traditionally beautiful, thin, or rich to be happy. Sometimes I felt it took things a bit far...aiming for the message that you will be actually be happier if people see you as ugly, you're overweight, and you're financially struggling.
Melanie Cannon
Apr 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was a fun read. Light-hearted and reminiscent of a familiar time and familiar places. This delivered on what it purports to be — a book from the pink and purple covers row of books, as my sister would say. I could relate to the struggle of Lexi, Nicola and Holly — blessed with so much, but focused on something that threatens to rob them of the joy of those blessings. I will read more Beth Harbison’s books.
Stacy
Jan 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Beth Harbison has most certainly made my list of favorite authors. I could totally relate to each of the story's three main characters in some form or another. This was a definate "couldn't put down!"
Jenna
Apr 30, 2018 rated it did not like it
Ugh, this book started out bad and just kept getting worse. I understand the point the author was trying to make...everyone is beautiful just the way they are...but it couldn’t have been more cliche than this.
Hillary
Jul 10, 2016 rated it liked it
A fast, frothy, formulaic bit of chick-lit. THIS is what one should be reading after a head injury. I felt I could totally relate to Holly & Nicola as camp misfits - story of my life, man. Fun and easy to read, did not require any mental energy.
Danielle MacLeod
Dec 19, 2012 rated it did not like it
I could not stay engaged in this book whatsoever. It took me a very long time to finish it and I was never able to feel connected to the characters.
Kerri Rifkin
Jul 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Fun. Easy beach read. Great for a pallet cleanser between more serious books. I liked the characters and the lessons they learned.
Charlene
Sep 11, 2014 rated it liked it
This was an easy read, mostly conversational - happy ending. Not a great literary work but good story. Easy summer mindless read.
Jennifer Fleming
Dec 06, 2015 rated it liked it
A simple but good story about friendship that lasts over the years. This story is a little predictable but not dull.
Leia
Aug 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Needed something to listen to while I did laundry. Did the trick.
Sep 24, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5 stars and better than I thought it would be!
Cyndi
May 26, 2015 rated it liked it
I liked the strong female characters in this book.
Julie
Jan 25, 2012 rated it liked it
A good reminder that the grass is not always greener and to appreciate what we have.
Olivia "Don't Blame Me I Voted for Hillary"
It was an adorable, though some parts of the plot were predictable, story.
Alicia
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
In a twist of the normal review, I want to start this by saying I absolutely love listening to Orlagh Cassidy! So much so that I found this book by searching through her narrations on audible. I had read Driving with the top down which is also by Beth Harbison, so I knew this was a good choice, especially with Orlagh as the narrator. Her voice is just so beautiful, soothing and animated to me.

As teenagers at summer camp, Holly and Nicola were not part of the “in” crowd. A bit on the heavy side,
If this was made into a movie.. 1 15 Sep 11, 2012 08:37PM
  • By Invitation Only
  • Fifteen Minutes of Shame
  • Promises to Keep
  • Diary of a Mad Mom-To-Be
Beth Harbison grew up in Potomac, Maryland, in the shadow of Washington, D.C. Apart from the occasional irritation at being held up in traffic by a presidential motorcade, she has remained fairly uninvolved in the politics that define her home town. Her latest novel, ONE LESS PROBLEM WITHOUT YOU, comes out July 26, 2016.

“Standing in the small space, Holly was overwhelmed by memories and a strange protective feeling for the child she'd been” 2 likes
“She pulled up to the garage in front of Nordstrom (no matter where she was going in the mall, she liked to enter through Nordstrom)” 0 likes