Start by marking “Harriet the Moses of Her People” as Want to Read:
Harriet the Moses of Her People

Harriet the Moses of Her People

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  582 Ratings  ·  55 Reviews
The way was so toilsome over the rugged mountain passes, that often the men who followed her would give out, and foot-sore, and bleeding, they would drop on the ground, groaning that they could not take another step. They would lie there and die, or if strength came back, they would return on their steps, and seek their old homes again. Then the revolver carried by this bo ...more
Published April 1st 2006 by Echo Library (first published 1961)

To ask other readers questions about Harriet the Moses of Her People, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Harriet the Moses of Her People

Sarah Crawford
Jan 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is written by someone who actually knew Harriet Tubman personally. Harriet Tubman was the woman who led hundreds of slaves out of the South along the Underground Railroad till they were able to get to the North or even on to Canada where they could become freeman.

(The Underground Railroad was, of course, not a railroad as such. It was a series of routes that escaping slaves could take from the South to the North. There were 'conductors' along those routes, people who would help the esc
Eric
Jun 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a biography written during the life of Harriet Tubman and updated with a second edition describing more of her life. Written with wonder and awe about this courageous heroine of the Civil War and beyond to Woman sufrage. Filled with actual photos and letters written to her and about her. A real gem of literature.

Gretchen
Jun 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There should be a National Holiday named for Harriet Tubman.
John Findlay
Feb 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For many years I have driven through Auburn, NY on my way to our nearby summer cottage, and have several times driven past the William Seward house and seen the Harriet Tubman house close by. Having read much about Seward, and visited his house, I always wanted to know more details about Tubman, beyond her role in the Underground Railroad. This book, written in 1886, opened my eyes to what an extraordinary woman she was. Not only did she free large numbers of slaves (the book claims over 300, al ...more
Stuart
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very remarkable woman.

I'm so glad I read this Biography. Harriet Tubman was a true servant. Not only to people of color but all of humanity. A devout follower of Jesus and reflecting his love and compassion to all.
Kerry
I liked this book but was hard to follow and seemed to jump around. I would have liked to have read about how she helped slaves escape.
Doris Raines
Mar 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This. Lady. Was. Born. To. Be. A. Leader. That. And. So. Much. More. Thanks. Miss. Tubman. Doris.
Kyle
Mar 01, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Harriet Tubman: The Moses of Her People” is a biography written while Mrs. Tubman was still alive. The author indicates it is a second edition written to raise funds for a negro hospital in Auburn, New York, which she stated was Mrs. Tubman’s last great work. This book bounces around and is primarily a collection of short anecdotes, letters, and even some written passes permitting her access during the Civil War.

You would think the book might focus heavily on Mrs. Tubman’s experiences with the
Divone
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Harriet Tubman was an amazing woman! This book really brought her story to life for me. I had grown up hearing about her, but this filled in many details about who she was. She overcame seemingly insurmountable odds and became a woman who will be remembered for all of history. This is a must read!
Jasminec
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books
I love Harriet Tubman and I read multiple books on her. I love her story and I recommend this book or many others.
Dick
Aug 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was one very courageous Christian woman. The book was originally published in 1884 is good during her lifetime. It is not a long book, but the impact is significant. The book reflects the sentiments of the abolitionist while she lived. Her views of herself are quite modest Harriet's life was a very spiritual one. That faith runs from her childhood to old age. Her unshakeable faith is God speaks loud and clear. She believed in freedom and was driven by her need to contribute to the freedom o ...more
Patrick
Apr 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
p.29 And so without money, and without friends, she started on through unknown regions.
p.103 For the slaves, never having been allowed to bury their dead in the day-time, continued the custom of night funerals from habit.

Plenty of fresh historical information within this strangely assembled text. A letter by Frederick Douglass about Harriet Tubman is an interesting, random inclusion in the text (134-5). Harriet's exploits are covered in detail from her early life to position in later life. The a
Harlem Duke
Jun 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So far I like this biography but of course reading the details of the cruelty inflicted on slaves is difficult. She was a strong woman though.

60% into the book and it's not quite what I expected. I wanted a book that gave more details into her everyday life and the specifics of her journeys. Most of the book was difficult to understand when they used used Harriets' words but I figured it out. What I like most about this book is the continued validity that is given to her faith. Everyone that spo
Dionne
"Behold here, in the little negro girl, the future deliverer of hundreds of her people; the spy and scout of the Union armies; the devoted hospital nurse; the protector of hunted fugitives; the eloquent speaker in public meetings; the cunning eluder of pursuing man-hunters; the heaven guided pioneer through dangers seen and unseen; in short, as she has well been called, 'The Moses of her People.'"--pg. 14

I have always been amazed by Harriet Tubman. This book, written while Harriet was still aliv
Andrew
Jan 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a bad book at all and as written whilst Harriet Tubman was still alive an interesting view given by friends and contemparies,I get a feeling better books with greater research have been written since as the book is kind of light with no real interest in sources.
However it's an interesting read and tells the tale of a formidable figure,Harriet uses her faith as the guide by which she accomplishes great things and is great to read of faith used as a positive driving force as to often these day
Jacquelyn
Jan 23, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading The Book of Negroes, I got interested in learning more about Harriet Tubman, even though her life was quite different from that of Oliver's fictional character. While many books have been written about Tubman, I found this to be particularly compelling. It was written by a friend of Tubman, in an effort to raise money to finance a home for elderly ex-slaves in New York. Bradford wrote this in the 1800s, and reflects the language, perceptions and views that were common at the time. ...more
Kathy
May 25, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Farewell, ole Marster, don't think hard of me,
I'm going on to Canada, where all de slave are free."

What a remarkable woman! I need to find a better biography, however, one that is written more chronologically and in more detail about her experiences. Just as the author gets Harriet safe into the North, she lapses into generalities, and I have no idea who helped her or how she established herself there. This book does describe several of Harriet's rescues--she personally led about 300 men, women
Pamela (slytherpuff)
See more of my reviews at Bettering Me Up.

I got this book for free on Amazon and was excited to read it. I did a book report on Harriet Tubman when I was in fifth grade, and I've admired her ever since.

This book, however, focused more on her religion than her acts of daring and bravery. At one point, the author explicitly skipped over years of Tubman's life after slavery by saying that those were hard years and needn't be discussed. That was a shame, since I was interested in those years!

I gave
Anne
Jan 02, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love history and this is a great book about an AWESOME women who did great things. I know she is well known for bringing slaves out of the south to safety of Canada away from slave masters that didn't care about anyone. To me Harriet Tubman was a true angel.

The only thing I didn't enjoy about this ebook was there was no chapters. It is only 76 pages per Amazon.com but I like to stop at the end of a chapter but there was never a chapter. That is why I gave it 3 stars.

If you enjoy history you n
Jake Hanson
Apr 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read the first edition from google books. This book raises many questions and does not answer all the questions I wanted to know about Harriet Tubman, but I found this story compelling. I enjoy biographies from days gone by by people who actually knew the subject, which is the case here. There is some disorder in the account, but it is filled with precious gems of the life and passion of this dear woman.
Onna
Feb 19, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Seemed like it was written by an amateur, a little flowery in language from time to time, but considering it was written back in the late 1800's it was pretty good. Some stories were included that I hadn't heard before. I got a kick out of some of the racist comments that the author made obviously without knowing it. Times have, thankfully, changed tremendously since Mrs. Tubman's time. I think she'd be rather pleased with things now.
Tammy
Dec 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Had some very good stories about Harriet that I really enjoyed reading. Was definitely a more anecdotal book than historical I think. What I really didn't like was the comparison to other great women in history. I'm a firm believer that you can be heroic in and of yourself without putting other great women down. Harriet's beauty as a person is not amplified by saying she's better than Joan de' Arc, they are both women who deserve to be remembered in history for their own personal fights.
Shari
Oct 03, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sarah-bradford
I have always thought of Harriet as a Hero. She worked hard at getting the goal that she set finished. She didn't let anyone stop her for long. I think that as the trials that she went through she was a strong woman. I really enjoy reading about her and the other slaves that made the goals that they set for themselves.
Andrea
Jul 13, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book was interesting, but not the easiest read due to the format. It seemed like a lot of vignettes offering their perspective of various events. Some were short letters that corroborated Tubman's accounts, but didn't offer much. The parts that included quotes from her perspective were interesting, though.
Barbara

A nonfiction book about such an important woman should do more. It does cover details of what she did to help many slaves escape to freedom -- in Canada, because the North was sending them back (just FYI). I read this book and kept expecting more . . . It is probably a good book to have in high schools for the students with reading difficulties.
Gina
Jul 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-challenge
Until I read this book, I had no idea that Harriet Tubman fought horrible headaches and bouts of near comatose sleeping all while freeing other slaves! I'll let you read the book to see how she developed those physical problems. In light of Ms. Tubman's life and struggle, how can I ever say that I can't do something? I have an able body with no debilitating issues. God, forgive me!
Bobbie Mission Viejo
A remarkable woman in every sense of the word. A heroine to hundreds of people whom she led to safety from the grips of slavery. Embarking on treacherous journeys with the lives of her fellow slaves in her hands she led them to freedom by her courage, her wits, and profound belief that God helped every step of the way.
Lisa Burris
Feb 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While this is important as a historical document, its presentation is jumbled and the narrative consists of disjointed stories of the life of Harriet Tubman. It was, however, the first printed material to recount the remarkable life and work of Tubman. For that alone, it is a worthy read.
Joan
Jan 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Remarkable woman!

Simply amazed by the bravery, faith and energy of this one woman. Interesting reading, I recommend this short book to anyone interested to the road to the slaves road to freedom.
Diane
Dec 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an inspiring and wonderful woman.
  • A Song for Mary: An Irish-American Memory
  • A Narrative of the Life of Mrs. Mary Jemison
  • Farm Girl
  • Life and Death at Hoover Dam
  • American Legends: The Life of Sitting Bull
  • Gang of One: Memoirs of a Red Guard
  • Healing, Romance & Revolution: Letters from a Young American Nurse in 1926 China
  • Touching America's History: From the Pequot War Through WWII
  • Freedom's Cap: The United States Capitol and the Coming of the Civil War
  • Laura Ingalls Wilder: Young Pioneer (Childhood of Famous Americans)
  • Walt Whitman: Words for America
  • Mirror Talk
  • Bound for the Promised Land: Harriet Tubman: Portrait of an American Hero
  • Bound for Canaan: The Epic Story of the Underground Railroad, America's First Civil Rights Movement
  • Elsie: Adventures of an Arizona Schoolteacher 1913-1916
  • Where the Cherry Tree Grew: The Story of Ferry Farm, George Washington’s Boyhood Home
  • History of Cleopatra, Queen of Egypt (Makers of History, #13)
  • The Adventures of Bindi Girl: Diving Deep Into the Heart of India
Educated at St. Mary’s Convent, Shaftesbury Dorset, where she won a State Scholarship and at Lady Margaret Hall, Oxford, where she won a College Scholarship in History, Sarah Bradford is an historian and biographer who has travelled extensively, living in the West Indies, Portugal and Italy. She speaks four languages which have been invaluable in her research for her various books, particularly Th ...more
More about Sarah Bradford

$2.99 $1.49
  • Here Is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History
    $10.99 $1.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Rational Optimist (P.S.)
    $14.49 $2.99
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Of Wolves and Men (Scribner Classics)
    $9.99 $1.99
    $8.49 $2.99
  • Dharma Punx: A Memoir
    $11.49 $1.99
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Queens Consort: England's Medieval Queens from Eleanor of Aquitaine to Elizabeth of York
    $9.99 $1.99