Jump to ratings and reviews

Harry Potter And The Philosopher´s Stone (Film): Fantasy, Adventure, Harry Potter And The Philosopher´s Stone, J. K. Rowling, Chris Columbus (Filmmaker), ... Series), Harry Potter (Character), Hogwarts

Please note that the content of this book primarily consists of articles available from Wikipedia or other free sources online. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (released in the United States and India as Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone) is a 2001 fantasy/adventure film based on the novel of the same name by J. K. Rowling. Directed by Chris Columbus, it is the first in the popular Harry Potter films series. The story follows Harry Potter, a boy who discovers on his eleventh birthday that he is a wizard, and is sent to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry to begin his magical education. The film stars Daniel Radcliffe as Harry Potter, alongside Rupert Grint and Emma Watson as Harry's best friends Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger. The adult cast features Richard Harris, Maggie Smith, Robbie Coltrane, Alan Rickman and Ian Hart. Warner Bros. bought the film rights to the book in 1999. Production began in 2000, with Columbus being chosen from a short list of directors to create the film. Rowling insisted that the entire cast be British or Irish, in keeping with the cultural integrity of the book and the film. Rowling also approved the screenplay, written by Steve Kloves.

192 pages, Paperback

First published November 24, 2009

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Frederic P. Miller

2,491 books145 followers
This is the 'editor' of many books based upon Wikipedia articles.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
16 (2%)
1 star
15 (2%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 38 reviews
Profile Image for M.M. Strawberry Library & Reviews.
3,993 reviews314 followers
October 23, 2017
This "book", and every other single "book" done by VDM Verlag (owner of the Alphascript imprint) and these hack editors at VDM/Alphascript are clowns who should not be allowed anywhere near a computer. This "book", and every single other "book" done by these hacks are literally nothing but copied and pasted Wikipedia articles.

EVERY SINGLE BOOK DONE BY VDM AND ALPHASCRIPT AND ALL OF VDM'S OTHER IMPRINTS ARE LITERALLY COPIED AND PASTED, and not checked for accuracy or formatted properly. It is a damn shame and disgrace that booksellers like Barnes and Noble, and Amazon, sell this crap for these idiots.

Avoid anything and everything printed by VDM/Alphascript/Betascript/Fastbook/whatever else. You're better off reading Wikipedia on your own and not giving these clowns a single penny for the 'work' they do.
Profile Image for Rory.
304 reviews
August 3, 2017
It was good. I listened to it as an audiobook and Stephen Fry read well. Although with some pronunciation issues.

The story is the same as the movie (well it would be) and I liked the first movie so suited me fine. Sweet story about children and magic and the first excitements of finding the wizard school.
February 4, 2020
After being raised in the really bad home basically his uncles house, Harry basically begins life a new way when he discovers that he is a wizard and is invited to attend Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Among Harrys first adventures are making new friends. When he does he basically goes wonder the life he had.
19 reviews2 followers
March 4, 2016
Are you one for adventure filled with magic? Are you searching for a book out of the ordinary? Something that is a change from the usual world? Then Harry Potter series is the one for you.

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (a.k.a Sorcerer's Stone in some regions.) being the first book in the series begins off pretty slow. The first few chapters have hardly any story. At certain times in the book all you feel like doing is skip the chapter and move on to the next one. when I read it I stopped reading after the third chapter or so and swore to never touch to the book again because I found it extremely slow and boring. It wasn't until four of my friends, all of whom are obsessed with Harry Potter forced me to give it another try did I read the rest of the book. Even this time it took a lot of will power to not stop reading it half way through.

The story is pretty good once you go past all the not so interesting and slow parts (Which is quite a challenge in itself). The only reason the book is at least as good as it is, is because of the plot twists that are revealed towards the end of the book.

If you ask me about the whole magic world that is discussed in the book then I would say it is one of the most unrealistic scenarios ever created for a book. To believe that there are whole streets, crowded with people in the middle of London city and yet none of the residents of London know about it, is pretty hard to believe. But it is also the one thing that is interesting in the book. The idea about weird people with magical powers living among us makes us want to know more about them and this makes us read on.

So if you believe in magic or think you can digest some extremely unrealistic scenarios created by the imagination of an author then go ahead and read the book.
3 reviews1 follower
November 16, 2011
Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone
Author: J.K Rowling
Fiction Novel

Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone is about an 11 year old wizard named Harry Potter and his two best friends; Hermione Granger and Ron Weasly. The three children attend Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry to learn magic. The novel is based around the adventures and dangers of the youngsters. Harry’s parents were murdered when he was an infant, Hermione was born into a non-magical (muggle) family and Ron comes from a family that is extremely poor, so they all face various difficulties at school. However, by the end of the novel the three friends are closer than ever, with moderate magical knowledge and helped to defeat one of the darkest wizards in history.

A character in this novel that interested me was Hermione Granger; this is because she goes through immense changes throughout the course of the text. At the beginning she is extremely focused on her schooling and grades. ‘”We could have been killed, or worse expelled.”’ However by the time the novel comes to a close, she is less uptight, but still works hard in her classes. She realises that her friends also play an important role In her life.

6 reviews
July 1, 2014
Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone takes you through a journey of young wizards named Harry Potter and his two best friends; Hermione Granger and Ron Weasly. They attend Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry to learn magic. The novel is based around the adventures and dangers of the youngsters. What is interesting is that the three youngsters all come from extremely different backgrounds but manage to support each other as friends throughout their first year away from home. This is important for children to learn, just because people have different home lives, we should not judge them on this. Harry’s parents were murdered when he was extremely young, Hermione was born into a non-magical family and Ron comes from a family that is extremely poor. This can also tackle areas such as racism and homophobia, highlighting that just because look or act different, you should not be treated differently and everyone can get along as friends.

This book, I find, is good for guided reading or independent reading. Although it can be used as a teaching tool also, I find that children really enjoy this exciting story and it promotes reading for pleasure in the classroom. I would recommend this book to year 4 and upwards.
Profile Image for Joy Corkery.
320 reviews10 followers
October 10, 2014
Originally posted on: https://joyfullantidotes.wordpress.co...

At the ripe old age of 26, I was skeptical about reading the Harry Potter series; I thought I was much too old for such fantasy stories. Well, was I wrong! I got totally swept up in the magic of the story. It was a great ‘escape read’ and I truly recommend it not only for kids, but for adults who want also want to mentally get away for a while. As I have never read such books before, the story was completely new and original for me. This may not be the case for others though as I presume there are similar books on the market. Anyway, the main point is you are never too old to jump on, and enjoy, the Harry Potter bandwagon. I can’t wait to get my mitts on the other books in the series, and of course watch the films, and ultimately go to Harry Potter Land.
14 reviews
June 25, 2014
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's stone:

I liked this book mainly because I like the Author. I also liked the language techniques J.K. Rowling used through out it.
My favorite character id Hargrid, well at lest so far. Because I understand his veiw of life and how he is so big on the out side yet he is such a softy!
I read this book because my friend said that I had to. But I am glad that I did because now I can read the whole series and the books are very different to the movies. (I have only seen a few.)
Over all I would recommend this book to other people.

Katie
10PUL
99 reviews1 follower
December 4, 2013
This book starts with the Dursleys who are Harry Potter's uncle and aunt and their son or Harry's cousin Dudley. It shows how he has to put up with their ill treatment and from being a nobody in the "Muggle" world he is a celebrity for defeating the evil dark lord Voldemort in the magical world.

The description of every character in the book by J. K. Rowling is really nice. Waiting to read the next part !!!
Profile Image for Hayley.
217 reviews7 followers
December 31, 2015
From the moment I picked this book up I was sucked into the world of Harry Potter. For me this was a quick read because I was so into the story.
This book is full of magic and wonder.
The start of the book is slightly slower because we are just finding out about Harry and his world. This book is a great read if you are looking for some adventure

I seen these movies when I was younger so I knew some of the faces and voices. However even if you don't this book is still amazing
Profile Image for Amanda Wallace.
124 reviews5 followers
May 14, 2013
Even at 21 years old, this book is still amazing to me, everything from the plot to the characters was interesting from start to finish. J.K. Rowling creates a stunning world that leaves the reader satisfied by the end but wanting more at the same time. Glad she made seven books and not just the one!
Profile Image for Jacqui.
2 reviews
September 6, 2013
I've been reading this as a bedtime story to my children at the moment. They have never been so excited to go to bed and I have never read for such extended periods at their bedtime. My children prefer it to the movie because of some of the added details. I love it for the language, the engaging characters and the humour. I've secretly read ahead to the end.
Profile Image for Jannene Allwood.
16 reviews
September 10, 2013
Let's just say that I'm not the target audience. I found this book a bit simplistic and one dimensional. I didn't find the characters very well drawn and I found I didn't care very much about them. It took me another 10 years to bother reading the sequels and then only because my kids are obsessed by Harry Potter.
Profile Image for Hope.
106 reviews
June 10, 2014
After seeing all the movies it was time I read the books and I wasn't disappointed. The book was more detailed than the movie, which is the norm. I found this to be an enjoyable story and I loved all aspects of it, the flow, the characters, the plot, the intrigue, the settings, all were fabulous. Although this is a young adult read I enjoyed it immensely!
Profile Image for Olivia~23.
1 review
October 19, 2012
The book was book was so wonderfully written, I felt like I was transported in the REAL world of witchcraft and wizardry! It was a fun and outstanding book! I love all of the crazy, outrageous things!!

J.K ROWLING IS A WONDERFUL WRITER!!!!!!!!
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
2 reviews
October 29, 2012
I like J.K. Rowling books because they have a lot of emotion in them and they don't lack description. My favorite part of it was when he battled Voldemort and won , but unfortunately harry goes to hospital but he makes it out.
Profile Image for Rachel Bowden.
4 reviews
March 27, 2015
This is a really great book. I've read the whole series twice before and I have watched all the movies. I think that it it is well derserved of all the attention it gets and J.k. Rowling is my second favourite author after Jackuline Wilson.
4 reviews
March 3, 2011
The narrative style is such that it creates pictures in our mind for ever. liked some symbols like the street lights getting automatically switched on, animals recognizing Harry Potter ....
Profile Image for Kacie.
9 reviews
August 1, 2012
I loved this book my teacher read it to the whole class and I felt like I was a part of the story
Author 16 books13 followers
August 4, 2012
Quite a few obvious mistakes that good editing would have verified. Apart from that an enjoyable read.
152 reviews
March 29, 2013
the harry potter collection is the most exemplary book in the whole world. i dont mind reading the collection a 100 times . i love them
Profile Image for Ashlee.
20 reviews1 follower
June 5, 2013
I listened to this one as an audio book. I read it back when it first came out, but it's been a long time, and I had a long drive (18+ hours), and this book made it fly by!
Profile Image for Halia.
1 review
March 24, 2014
it was amazing i especially liked hermonie. FINISH REST LATER
Displaying 1 - 30 of 38 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.