Start by marking “The Woman's Dictionary of Symbols and Sacred Objects” as Want to Read:
The Woman's Dictionary of Symbols and Sacred Objects

The Woman's Dictionary of Symbols and Sacred Objects

4.22  ·  Rating details ·  744 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
This fascinating guide to the history and mythology of woman-related symbols features:

Unique organization by shape of symbol or type of sacred object

21 different sections including Round and Oval Motifs, Sacred Objects, Secular-Sacred Objects, Rituals, Deities' Signs, Supernaturals, Body Parts, Nature, Birds, Plants, Minerals, Stones and Shells, and more

Introductory essays
Published November 2nd 1988 by HarperOne (first published January 1st 1988)

brass
Jan 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: deep lezzies
the daughter's father got this for me in my deep woo phase.

it has saved me from inking some fucked up shit on my person.
Lauren Davis
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful work on the study of symbols and sacred objects as they relate to the female. It's an excellent companion to the marvelous "The Book Of Symbols: Reflections On Archetypal Images" offering insight on the feminine roots of many of our symbols.

Just as an example, one such symbol is the fish, widely accepted to be the symbol of Christianity, but which is actually FAR older. Ichthys was the offspring of the ancient Sea goddess Atargatis, and was known in various mythic systems as Tirgata,
Lisa (Harmonybites)
I bought Walker's Women's Rituals hoping to find a way to incorporate a form of spirituality without abandoning the rational. I found appealing her contention that spiritual can celebrate the real and natural. In the end, I didn't find doing such things as sewing a priestess robe or creating an altar was for me--but before that I found myself buying this book too--and I still keep it on my bookshelf. I suppose because I do find the material intriguing and entertaining. It's exhaustive and thorou ...more
Angie Curtis
May 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is more a reference book than a book that you read cover to cover but it's full of symbols, and sacred objects. she covers what they are their meaning, what they were used for and their relation in mythology. Lots of interesting and useful information.
Jaime Bilodeau
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Cool book!!!
Linda Robinson
Apr 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This massive compilation of symbols that used to belong to women and the goddess is going to be on my shelf. Walker doesn't take up room with justification for interpretation - history is in the potsherd. Consider that the ubiquitous modern use of "god" and male sacred imagery claims preeminence in antiquity, although the masculine role in procreation wasn't known for thousands of years. So, what felt weird at 8 years old in church still feels wrong. How could there be so many creation myths tha ...more
Denise M
Aug 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Another excellent resource from Barbara walker of information for anyone looking into female history, culture, sub-culture and anything goddess-related. A useful mind expanding tool. More affordable, inspiring and healthier than any drug. Go and blow your mind! Again and again! I've always liked dictionaries and encyclopaedias because there is always something new to discover in their pages. This book fed me for several years.
Noémie Danneau
Jul 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
i found a really old edition, full of drawings and fell in love with its exceptional content! There is so much inspiration and knowledge to get out from this book, once i finished it, and it is not that easy to go threw a dictionary, i felt like it could be a great book to travel with along life for the many layers of understanding of the symbols you meet in one's life.
loved it
Terri Kempton
Feb 07, 2011 rated it liked it
We were recently looking for sigils and this was a handy reference text. Lots of interesting stories and histories - but also lots of silly line drawings to justify the writing of descriptive text. Would make a nice book to check out of the library as needed.
Arteyhviah
Dec 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is another Barbara G. Walker book that I read many, many years ago. This is an EXCELLENT reference book! My edition is so old until the pages are turning brown. THIS is an added writing by Barbara G. Walker that makes-up my PERSONAL 'FEMININE' BIBLE! THANK YOU...
Miryam-Chavah
May 29, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone.
i read her "myths and secrets" book first, and found this book to be a little repetitive of much of the topics she'd addressed in the other book (not sure which she had written first, actually)...

still a good book.
Fostergrants
Oct 17, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: learn-something
i love flipping though this book at random and finding a new way to see objects. a few days after reading about 'holey stones' my son brought me one from the beach. i have found a new appreciation for objects all around me that i had stopped really seeing.
Mitzi
Feb 08, 2010 rated it liked it
It is a dictionary and it reads like one.
Not sure why I read it instead of looking up the info I wanted, but it is full of wonderful info.
Eileen Fikes
Jul 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to know more
I fucking love this book...The symbols are very helpful...plus the information..
Inara
Title in German:
Die geheimen Symbole der Frauen
Gwnhwyfer
Jul 15, 2011 marked it as looks-interesting
From the bibliographies of Ellen Dugan's Garden Witchery (2003) and Green Witch's Herbal (2009). Recommended read.
Josette
Oct 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Loved everything about this book. I can't say I've 'finished' reading it because I suppose I'll be referring to it again and again.
jobiwan6
massive amt of info in one place - great for reference and browsing.
I can get lost in it for hours.
Willa Grant
Feb 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
A classic of Women's studies- I still like to look at this one after 20 years-
Elizabeth
trade paper very good condition
Zahra
Feb 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
i think every one should read this.
Mary
Jul 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
informative. good reference book
Anna
Jul 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
It's a very good reference book.
Alii M.
Rachel Reed
Jan 02, 2015
Daniel Gibbons
Apr 17, 2014
  • The Holy Book of Women's Mysteries: Feminist Witchcraft, Goddess Rituals, Spellcasting and Other Womanly Arts
  • The Great Cosmic Mother: Rediscovering the Religion of the Earth
  • Ancient Mirrors of Womanhood: A Treasury of Goddess and Heroine Lore from Around the World
  • The Book of Goddesses & Heroines
  • Goddess Alive!: Inviting Celtic & Norse Goddesses Into Your Life
  • Midsummer: Magical Celebrations of the Summer Solstice
  • Witchcraze: A New History of the European Witch Hunts
  • Autumn Equinox: The Enchantment of Mabon
Barbara Walker studied journalism at the University of Pennsylvania and then took a reporting job at the Washington Star in DC. During her work as a reporter, she became increasingly interested in feminism and women's issues.

Her writing career has been split between knitting instruction books, produced in the late 1960s through the mid-80s; and women's studies and mythology books, produced from t
More about Barbara G. Walker...