Start by marking “Bear Stays Up for Christmas” as Want to Read:
Bear Stays Up for Christmas

Bear Stays Up for Christmas (Bear)

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  7,090 Ratings  ·  213 Reviews

"The day before Christmas,

snuggled on his floor,

Bear sleeps soundly

with a great big snore...."

Bear's friends are determined to keep Bear awake for Christmas! So they wake Bear up and have him help them find a Christmas tree, bake cakes, hang up stockings, and sing Christmas songs. Bear stays up -- by discovering that giving is one of the best Christmas presents!

How a SURPR

Published October 1st 2004 by Margaret K. McElderry Books (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Bear Stays Up for Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bear Stays Up for Christmas

Janie Johnson
Feb 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, aeverie2016
This is the second book for February that I read with my grandson Aeverie. Even though this was meant for Christmas we still enjoyed it a lot. This one is written in verse and the title is pretty self explanatory. The illustrations are done beautifully as well. A great read for the little ones at Christmas time.
Candice
Dec 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Sophie
Shelves: picture-books
Everyone knows that bears sleep through the winter, but Bear's friends do not want him to miss Christmas, so Bear does his best to stay up.

"He stands with a stretch
and a great big sigh.
'I hope I can make it.
I do want to try.'
'Don't worry,' squeaks Mouse.
Hare says, 'It's all right.
We'll keep you busy
all day and all night.'"

And keep him busy they do, with many of the traditional Christmas activities - getting and decorating a tree, baking, singing Christmas carols. This is a wonderful book to read
Christine
I'm not sure why exactly, but I was surprised how much I enjoyed this Christmas Bear story. It was in pretty regular rotation this past Christmas season. It is only our second Bear book and now I want to read all the others :)
Heidi-Marie
Present from A&N family. We read it at bedtime. I have read other Wilson bear books and liked them. This one was very cute. The whole family enjoyed.
Will Boncher
Spoiler: he goes to bed at the end.
Tamara Lane
Dec 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I especially love the illustrations in this book.
Joanna Marple
Oct 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Some authors just have it – that ability to write stories in rhyme for young children that simply dance off the page and spill off the tongue with a tempo and fluidity that make them so easy to read aloud and so captivating for a child to listen to. Karma Wilson is one such author.

The scene is set – will Bear hibernate through yet another Christmas day, or will his faithful band of animal friends manage to keep him awake? Having read quite a few now in the Bear series, I, like all children, can’
Heather
Dec 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
Dolly
Jul 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading to young children
Our girls really like this one. Once again, Karma Wilson and Jane Chapman have come through with a fun story about Bear and his friends.

With a rhyming narrative, this story with a Christmas theme is fun to read aloud. And the pictures are charming - we love Bear's expressions. We really enjoy reading this book together and we've read it many times.

December 2015 update: We borrowed this book again from our local library to read with our two-year-old niece during her visit with my brother-in-law
Andrea Hussey
Dec 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
  • Merry Christmas, Big Hungry Bear!
  • Bear's First Christmas
  • Russell's Christmas Magic
  • My Penguin Osbert
  • Snowmen at Christmas
  • Llama Llama Holiday Drama
  • I'll Be Home For Christmas (Toot & Puddle)
  • Dream Snow
  • Santa Claus the World's Number One Toy Expert
  • Olivia Helps with Christmas
  • You Are My Miracle
  • Merry Christmas, Curious George
Karma Wilson grew up an only child of a single mother in the wilds of North Idaho. Way back then (just past the stone age and somewhat before the era of computers) there was no cable TV and if there had been Karma could not have recieved it. TV reception was limited to 3 channels, of which one came in with some clarity. Karma did the only sensible thing a lonely little girl could do…she read or pl ...more
More about Karma Wilson...

Bear (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Bear Snores On