Start by marking “The Heart of the Night” as Want to Read:
The Heart of the Night

The Heart of the Night

An epic novel of passion, betrayal and danger, set in wartime Britain and Europe

In the spring of 1936 Kay Garland embraces an exciting new life of glamour when she becomes companion to Russian Konstantin Denisov's daughter, Miranda. The two girls become firm friends, and when Miranda falls in love with a young Parisian, Kay helps her keep the relationship secret. But Konst
Published June 11th 2009 by Headline Review (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Heart of the Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Heart of the Night

Janet
Apr 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a great page turner - a good old fashioned saga!
Rebecca Surgey
Jun 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Really good book but took time to read because it's about 200 pages too long. Lovely story so I'm glad I stuck with it.
Gaynor Mackenzie-Cooke
Twists and turns

Fantastic read. Plot unexpected and the end was a bit feeble. I made up what I thought should have happened
Deane
Dec 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A rather long read; a bit slow in parts but generally, I found it a fascinating story especially the descriptions of East Prussia and its part in WWII. A country I knew little about so it sent me to doing research on Google...I like that when something I read in a novel intrigues me enough to want to learn more.

The story of the two young girls, Miranda and Kay....who were very different in character and upbringing....from their meeting when teens, through the war years which affected them both s
paul c hitches
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good enjoyable read

I thought this book was excellent. Kept you transfixed throughout and every turned page have another gasp of delight. Judith Lennox can certainty wrote an excellent story weaving fact and fiction together seamlessly. Long may she continue.
Katrina
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really great book! Highly recommended
Dec 01, 2016 rated it liked it
3-3.5 stars. A bit too slow, a bit too long. Even though a lot of things happened, it somehow feels like nothing happened. The story follows atleast four characters, but I only cared about one of them, Miranda. The others felt quite flat and not very pleasant. They didn't really bring anything to the story. I also thought the story would be more exciting, filled with mysteries and drama, but it just told the story of quite ordinary people living through World War II in different countries. And t ...more
Carla
May 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, fiction
I had a few train trips coming up and needed an easy book to read. This one certainly falls in the category "relaxed and easy". I liked it much better than the other book by Judith Lennox I read (All my sisters). Although many characters were introduced, I didn't get confused. Some names were not important enough to remember (like the people around Miranda in Prussia), and it didn't matter for the story. I thought it was interesting Lennox tells the story of the Second World War partly from the ...more
Jule
Aug 31, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
First of all, the good things about the book: I adored the ending, the characters were great and the insights into WWII were terrifying, but very interesting.
Nevertheless, I didn't love the book as much as I thought I would. The story dragged itself through the 550 pages and was very slow-paced most of the time. Even though I was interested in how the story ends, I couldn't drag myself to read every day, which is very unusual.

Still, it was a good book about the life during WWII, people who are
Natalie
Dec 22, 2011 rated it it was ok
too many characters with too little importance. The author dashes from one to the other in just a few paragraphs which makes it virtually impossible to get attached to any of them. I enjoyed the part where the Russians were starting to invade Prussia, because at last there was some suspense, but on the whole the book was a bore! I am disappointed because I usually love stories based in WW2 and was looking forward to reading this one...
I really don't like the way it finishes, it's oh too happy en
Freda Lightfoot
Jul 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Judith Lennox is a master at the big story, and this one is no exception. Two young girls, Kay and Miranda, meet up when Kay takes a job as her companion. Miranda is the quintessential spoiled little rich girl, half Russian, who spends her life moving from place to place with her very controlling father. We live through WWII with these two, their first experiences of love, tragedies and disasters, and the unexpected twists and turns of their lives. Another Lennox success.
Dora Okeyo
Aug 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Judith Lennox writes with precision- she gets you to walk a mile and more and even reside in the lives of the characters such that- their battles are yours and their achievements are yours too.

I loved the writing and the in-depth look at the war and how it affected the characters and how they did their best to overcome it and pick up after being set apart.

It's a wonderful story of love, betrayal, perseverance and reconciliation.
Johanna Sten
Dec 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Tyckte om denna! Särskilt tyckte jag om att det växlade tätt mellan de olika karaktärerna. Det blev inte jättelångt mellan dem, och jag hann bli nyfiken flera gånger och ville läsa hur det gick för den specifika karaktären. Episk bok, skildrade vad jag kan bedöma, mycket av det hemska med kriget men från en vinkel som inte har tjatats sönder. Mycket bra bok, engagerande karaktärer och lyckliga slut!
Rekommenderas!
Maria
Apr 15, 2011 rated it it was ok
I was looking for a book to read and found this one in the bookstore... the characters are very predictable and they can be any person you meet in real life... not very appealing! it became interesting to me only because of the historical backdrop of the story (during WWII), other than that the story doesnt have too much to offer... ...more
Joanna
Jan 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: in-my-library
Brilliant !Filled with drama ,friendship, love and sorrow.Characters come alive on the page with real emotions that make the reader continue on . A sweeping saga in the hard time of the World War II.This is the first book that I read from Judith Lennox and I loved it!Definitely a great read and I highly recommend .
Megan
Jan 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Really good book. Loved how the story covered lots of stories with all the different characters points of view. Usually I don't like when a book covers such a vast period of time but this actually worked in favour of this book as you got to see the characters develop which is important in following the storyline.
Yang Shu-yuan
Apr 15, 2010 rated it it was ok
Als es die junge Kay ins Berlin der Dreißigerjahre verschlägt, ahnt sie nicht, wie sehr dies ihr Leben verändern wird. Vor der Kulisse der Kriegswirren in Europa erzählt Judith Lennox von der tiefen Freundschaft zweier Frauen, ihrer Suche nach Liebe und davon, wie man selbst in dunklen Zeiten Herz und Anstand bewahren kann
Pauliina Lassila
Jul 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Suomeksi Yöntummat vuodet (ei löytynyt suomenkielisellä nimellä täältä). Koko lukemisen ajan oli tunne, että olen lukenut tämän ennenkin. Ehkä olin tai sitten jonkun toisen vastaavan. Tarina pääsi silti yllättämään välillä ja koska tykkään kovasti toisen maailmansodan aikaan sijoittuvista kirjoista, tämän seurassa vietin mielelläni kuuman terassipäivän.
Cathc
Dec 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is the first book I've read by this author and enjoyed it very much. It's rather a disjointed read, the storyline features several interconnected characters and the narrative jumps around between them in a slightly off putting way. It's a well researched novel which shines through in the descriptions of life in wartime Europe. I'm looking forward to reading more from this Judith Lennox.
Jean Brazil
Jun 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
One of my favorite authors! This one was pretty good. I loved the characters, and as usual, everything worked out well in the end, despite some unusual twists to get there. Keep track of all the characters, because it got confusing at times.
Bettyjoy Engelbrecht
Mar 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
A thoroughly good read. It follows the four main characters through war and peace, firendhips and marriages an all the loose ends are tied up neatly in the end. Well put together. Just get it read it and enjoy.
Caroline
Nov 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Kay wordt gezelschapsdame van de Russische Miranda in Parijs. Miranda wordt verlieft en Kay helpt Miranda de relatie geheim te houden. Als de vader van Miranda er achter komt wordt Kay ontslagen en bevind ze zich helemaal alleen in Berlijn aan het begin van de tweede Wereldoorlog.
Se-bear
Sep 21, 2012 rated it really liked it

I'm really enjoying this book!
Mintti
Mar 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: escapism
Took a long time to read, but it was good, interesting stories of few people during WW2 and how the war affected people all over Europe. I've liked her previous books as well.
Lara
Jul 31, 2011 added it
I have really enjoyed the other Judith Lennox books I have read, but I was a little disappointed with this one.
Anita
Nov 28, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story really came to live in the second part. Before then I found it a bit slow to get going.
Meryll
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
enjoyed the book, the story, and the historical context. but agree with previous reviewers that the book could have been pared down a bit.
Susanne
Nichts besonderes, unterhaltsame Geschichte über zwei Frauen zur Zeit des 2. Weltkrieges. Ich habe es als Hörbuch gehört.
Surabhi
Jan 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous book. Vivid descriptions across continents, countries - War changes people's lives for better or for worse. Judith Lennox, take a bow!
Marijke
was wel een mooi boek maar ik heb wel mooiere boeken gelezen van judith lennox..was ook wel interessant maar er gebeurden wel heel veel met kay en miranda...kon niet goed inleven in de personages..

• Possibilities (Austen Series, #6)
  • A Durable Fire
  • Walking In Pimlico
  • Tree by Leaf
  • Stone in a Landslide
  • The Unabridged Edgar Allan Poe
  • For Better or Worsted (Crochet Mystery, #8)
  • Das Echo der Schuld
  • The Pratchett Portfolio: A compendium of characters from the Discworld
  • Forbidden Places
Aka Judith Lennox-Smith

Judith Lennox lives in Cambridgeshire, England with her husband and three sons.