Start by marking “Clap Your Hands” as Want to Read:
Clap Your Hands

Clap Your Hands

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  473 Ratings  ·  70 Reviews
Full of reasons to get up and dance, Lorinda Bryan Cauley's popular picture book, now available in board book format, has been delighting children for nearly a decade. Little ones will jump at the chance to join this menagerie of zany animals and children as they stomp, wiggle, roar, and spin their way through the day, as the rhyming text reinforces important concepts.
Published January 27th 1997 by Puffin Books (first published January 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Clap Your Hands, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clap Your Hands

J
Mar 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
I think the concept of this book is good. Unfortunately, the kids I read it to weren't into it.
Kate Hastings
Oct 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: preschool toddlers actions music and movement rhyming
What a fun book! Children will enjoy doing the actions.
Mely
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Cute book to play along with. Love all the animals illustrated.
Kristi
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
“Clap your hands, stomp your feet. Shake your arms, then take a seat.” Clap Your Hands is chalk full of fun rhyming phrases like these that promote getting up and moving around. Children reading or experiencing this book will not be able to resist dancing around like the animals who fill each page of this fun book. Perfect for a brain break for children of students of any age, this book is undeniably fun for everyone.
Before the reader even opens the book, they are bombarded with an array of br
Patrick MacDonald
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"Clap your Hands" is a playful picture book for young children, about kids and animals who play together clapping their hands, stomping there feet, roaring like a lion and more. This book would be a great activity for kids to act out as they read, so that they can start to recognize what they're reading.

The story is filled with little text that directs the children what activity to do as the animals and kids act it out together in the book. The illustrations are fun and filled with color and de
Jeff
Apr 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Clap Your Hands is a delightful rhyming book that encourages participation and play. The rhymes are creative and describe fun actions, like clapping your hands, counting your fingers and toes, and sticking out your tongue and touching your nose. Younger children will learn counting, names of some body parts, and actions. Children of all ages will be inspired to have fun.

When I say "all ages," I mean just that--my wife and I laughed and played with our children as we clapped and counted and dance
Robin Morris
Oct 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: authors
I always read this book during circle time for physical activity. The directions are simple to follow and you know you have the groups attention as they anticipate the next instruction. Kids love to move around and this book has you hopping, spinning, counting and a whole lot more. The illustrations are colorful people and animals with happy faces. I love this book.

About the Author:

Lorinda Bryan Cauley has illustrated, painted and designed for over 30 years. She has a degree from the Rhode Isla
Alex Hobart
Reading Level: 1.6
Summery - This book is a narrative of actions that the characters in the story are doing. The actions the characters are doing are rhyming, at the end of the book the characters say good bye to the readers.
Characteristics that Support the Genre - There are little word on the page, the pictures tell the story, as well as the words, and the pictures are the majority of the pages. The rhyming is part of the flow of the pages and the description of what the characters are doing
Wor
Camille Ryckman
Mar 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Brief summary a story of playing by doing fun simple actives like, clapping your hand and turning around.
Annotation This book is full of simple fun commands for a child to follow. This is a great read for a small group who can follow along and be silly.
Age appropriateness 3-5
Connection to six early literacy skills- Print motivation, by wanting to know what the characters will do next, it beckons the reader to turn the page.
Five practices -This is a great example of play using literature. I could
Erin
Sep 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, 18-24m, 2y
This is not a sit-back and snuggle book. Be prepared for a full-contact read. Clap Your Hands is a whole lot of fun for my 2 year old. So much fun, in fact, that we had to ban it from our bedtime reading because it was just TOO. EXCITING.

This interactive book takes you through a lot of great movements ("spin in a circle..but try not to fall!") and activities ("find something yellow, find something red") that are a lot of fun to do together. A conga line of animals and children act out the moves
Connie
Jul 07, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those books designed for the fidgety story-time goer.

It's full of instructions - clap your hands, tell me your age, I'll tickle you if you tickle me, find something red, that sort of thing.

Great fun for kids to get to move around instead of sitting through a story, this might be a good way to end storytime!

But, because of those good points, board book format might not be the best way to go. The pictures are too small for moving around - you have to sit close to really see them - a
June
Sep 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: librarians, parents and teachers
This went over extremely well in Toddler Time today. I always enjoy doing stories that invite participation. 9/30/11

Used at PJ Storytime. The hyperactive 6 year old maybe enjoyed it too much.

Used again in Lap Time. They really seemed to enjoy it though some of the activities are a little old for toddlers. Maybe should try Eyes, Nose, Fingers, and Toes at lap time next year and this in Story Time. 10/8/13

Used again and it was a great hit for story time.
Nicole
Jan 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Carmen got this when she was around a year old & wasn't really into it, but I would keep reading it off & on to her. Doing that was neat because I got to see her progress developmentally. The book it really a get up & move book that has body movement for them to do. Carmen couldn't sit through the book at first, she'd get bored. Then she could do a couple of the movements & now she can do them all & LOVES it! We got this for free at a Parents as Teachers event.
Vicky McErlean
Jul 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book for motor imitation and following directions. It doesn't get enough visibility in my opinion. I read this book to a group of toddlers at a Mommy and Me class and the kids LOVED moving and grooving to the words and illustrations in the book. If you just read the book, it's not nearly as entertaining as if you make the movements.

Clap your hands, stomp your feet.....
Becky Keir Grace
Aug 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I recently read this book with my preschool story time group and what a hit it was! The book is full of interactive things to do, and it gets the kids moving. They were laughing and having such a great time. I even heard later that the kids went home and keep talking about the "fun and silly" book we read. It is a simple book full of fun.
Cleverly
Jan 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I found this incredibly charming book for my son over the weekend. I thought it was lighthearted and fun. My son was thrilled when I read it to him. We were stomping our feet and wiggling with the book. The pictures are illustrated with animals and children. The animals wore clothing, what a hoot! I don’t think Clap Your Hands could have been anymore perfect.
Megan Rowland
Mar 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: action
I have never read a book like this before. It is a book that isn't exactly a story, but is full of poetry and movement. It is a book to incorporate literacy and moving around. If children are getting antsy, then read this book to them and have them do what the story says. This will get them listening to the book, listening, and comprehending if they are doing the moves.
Joanna
Jun 01, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-with-salo
I thought this would be more fun. Salo ( 20 months) usually enjoys interactive books. This one just has too much going on and not enough focus for a toddler. I didn't like some of the content so I will not revisit this when he is older.
Theresa
Great rhyming book that directions kids to act out all kinds of fun movements and sounds. Best for doing one on one or sharing with a small group. I would modify some of it for story times, especially if there are bigger groups.
Steve
Jun 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My son in first grade really enjoyed this book, so I enjoyed it. It's a joyous raucous book, that reminds me of the wild rumpus in Where The Wild Things Are. Any book that gives my son joy is precious to me. Five stars! I picked this book up for 50 cents at a flea market.
Betty Huber
Jul 29, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Great book. I love the retro clever drawings and the words are so catchy. When your baby gets older, he might just follow along and "clap his hands and stomp his feet, shake your arms, than take a seat"!
Alissa
Oct 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Great book to get the kids up and moving. This book involves counting, dancing, jumping, etc. The pictures are fun to see how the characters carry out the different actions.
Kara
Mar 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
My kidsos love this book. Its a fun action book and those are one of my boys favorite books right now. It has a lot of actions and the pics are good too.
Stephanie
Sep 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Another gem from the library. This is so fun with toddler-preschool aged kids. It has them moving and jumping, and verbally responding. So fun!
Kristi
Dec 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I use this all the time in storytime! A great action involved book for kids that has a variety of developmental milestones in it.
Lindsay
interactive
Tanika
Apr 16, 2011 added it
Shelves: sing-a-long
This is a sing-a-long that children can be involved in. They will get to wiggle, move, play with a partner, and just have fun. Good for pre-k through first.
Carina
Oct 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book because I got to do lots of fun things. I got to move around and make noise. I like books that get me moving.
Vandy
excellent for read aloud
Sharon
Jul 01, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
Very cute book, great pictures! Very easily put to music!
  • We've All Got Bellybuttons!
  • Farmyard Beat
  • Eyes, Nose, Fingers, and Toes
  • The Croaky Pokey!
  • If You're Happy and You Know It!
  • This Little Chick
  • Who Hops?
  • Jump!
  • Tanka Tanka Skunk!
  • I'm a Little Teapot
  • How Do You Make a Baby Smile?
  • You Are a Lion! And Other Fun Yoga Poses
  • Jazz Baby
  • Nose to Toes, You Are Yummy!
  • Wiggle
  • Do You Know Which Ones Will Grow?
  • Under My Hood I Have a Hat