Start by marking “Marks of the Messenger: Knowing, Living and Speaking the Gospel” as Want to Read:
Marks of the Messenger: Knowing, Living and Speaking the Gospel

Marks of the Messenger: Knowing, Living and Speaking the Gospel

Many think evangelism is rooted in a method. It is rooted in something much deeper. It is found in what makes us whole and healthy messengers of God's truth about Jesus. Mack Stiles has lived the life of the healthy evangelist in homes and coffee shops, at universities and farms. He has lived out and spoken about the gospel to Kenyans, Koreans, Arabs and North Americans. W ...more
Published March 26th 2010 by IVP Books

To ask other readers questions about Marks of the Messenger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Marks of the Messenger

Start your review of Marks of the Messenger: Knowing, Living and Speaking the Gospel
Tina Williams
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The heart and passion of evangelism explored. This is not a step-by-step sales approach, but an gut check on how we can be sharing Christ by knowing Him so well that the gospel overflows!
Jacinta Sheridan
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
Really great read. Makes me eager to reach out with the great hope we have in Jesus.
Mark Loughridge
Nothing wrong with this book - basic, helpful. It was ok.
Justin Tapp
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: church
I'd heard (via podcast) Stiles preach at churches in Kentucky and the Middle East before coming across this book at a local Goodwill. Like all of the 9Marks books, this is succinct and thought-provoking. It is not an anti-evangelism book but Stiles is against the mentality that most efforts toward evangelism have cultivated. This is not a how-to guide with steps on what to say and do or scripts to follow-- you're not selling insurance. Stiles begins with encouraging the reader to ask "Christian, ...more
Jacob O'connor
Sep 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wanna hear something completely bananas? I believe that the central truth of the the universe, the thing from which all other truths derive, the thing that grounds reality and grants purpose to men is.....

...the gospel. I'm not kidding. I'll bet you've never heard that, but it's true.
J. Mack Stiles believes it too, and I'm grateful for his insights into how this should shape us. A great read.

Notes:

Pragmatic evangelism counts converts, members, programs, but rarely counts faithfulness to the me
Jeff Short
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: evangelism
This brief book is an excellent practical guide to personal evangelism. Stiles points out some things that have gone wrong and do go wrong. I appreciated the space he took clarifying the Gospel message that we should share and the examples he used. He gives us a good push where we need to be pushed to be more active and faithful in evangelism. Reading books on evangelism is one way we can improve. I highly recommend this book.
Brian Pate
Jan 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, evangelism
Excellent book! It could be called "9 marks of a healthy evangelist." A healthy evangelist is someone who:

1. Has faith in the gospel
8. Has a biblical view of love
9. Operates within the context of the local church
Ben K
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not a how-to book on evangelism, but a look at qualities that will characterize a good evangelist. Still, it made evangelism seem less scary and imposing. It refreshed my desire to bring salt and light to the world around me.
Amber Thiessen
I really enjoyed this book, I think it’s an important read for believers, reminding us of the centrality if the Gospel in our life. Thinking on it in our minds, sharing it in our words and living a life of love.
C.J. Moore
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
If I have to recommend one book to those in ministry, it's this one. Do not forget the power of the gospel!
Amy Morgan
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Loved a book about the gospel as a book about missions.
Justin Low
Nov 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
An interesting tale on the principles of evangelism
Steve Hazell
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Super solid and thought provoking. A great read for any Christian who wants to take more seriously their role in evangelism and what God’d design is for them as a messenger of the gospel.
John
Oct 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
This is a short, easy read on evangelism.
Joshua Douglas
May 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A primer on evangelism

After reading through this book I have greater insight in knowing, living, and speaking the Gospel. One of the better evangelism books I have read.
Dan Dawson
May 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good. Going to read Speaking of Jesus next.
Edward Chun`
Jul 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Must read for anyone serious about sharing the gospel.
Jacob Coldwell
Dec 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Marks of the Messenger

“People need to see the depth of their sin so that they come to a fuller understanding of the depth of God’s grace.” (p. 31)

There is a beauty about this book. J. Mack Stiles takes the mystery of evangelism and ruins it for us all. He not only removes the excuses we have fabricated to avoid being messengers, but encourages the proper handling of the gospel message. Page after page, the logic from the foundational stones of scripture remove any doubt that Jesus has not only s
Jared Totten
Aug 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Marks of the Messenger is not a how-to guide to evangelism, it's not steps or strategies to gaining more converts. Instead, this excellent little book by J. Mack Stiles lays the groundwork for a life that is gospel-centered and naturally evangelistic. For example:

I'm convinced that the greatest obstacle to healthy evangelism is pragmatism: "doing evangelism"...Success drives pragmatic evangelism. Pragmatic evangelism never asks the question "Who are we to be as an evangelist?" Pragmatic evangel
Gerald
Jan 13, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: evangelism
Mark Dever ranked this book among Packer's Evangelism & the Sovereignty of God and Metzger's Tell the Truth: The Whole Gospel to the Whole Person by Whole People, so of course I was very interested. In this truth is more about the evangelist, than evangelism itself - what it means to be a healthy evangelist. And so the three books have different perspectives, but an overlapping emphasis on the power of God through the gospel and the sovereignty of God in evangelism.

Chapter 3 by itself made the b
Gene Helsel
Jul 13, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stiles ends his excellent book with this, "Evangelism is not a duty to perform. It's a privilege we're granted. The privilege is ours. The greatest thing about evangelism is that we get to do it - you and me. Somehow the great Creator God allows us - protplasmic specks in the universe - to partner with Him in His grand design. It's a wonder and a mystery. To be healthy - really healthy - not just in evangelism, but in all our spiritual life, is to have a glimpse of what it means to take hold of ...more
Payel
Aug 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
The book is about evangelism, but more than that, to rephrase the forward by Mark Dever , the author has restored the evangel (the Christian Gospels) back into the essence of evangelism. Consequentially, the focal point of the book is NOT ‘how to spread Christianity’ but who WE are to be as “messengers” of Christ. In one aspect, it confronts the fear and timidity in Christians about spreading the Gospel, and on other instances, it talks about the inclination of some of us to twist the Gospel mes ...more
Bryan
Sep 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
"Marks of the Messenger" is unlike most books on evangelism that I've read in that Stiles encourages readers to live out the Gospel message responsibly, intentionally and joyfully each day. There are no gimmicks or 12 step programs, simply cultivating a mind and heart that is ready to share the Good News in word and action. His personal stories are powerful and he offers a refreshing, biblical take on sharing the Gospel. While I do not agree with some minor points that Stiles makes, particularly ...more
Aaron Schmid
Mar 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: any Christian
Recommended to Aaron by: my dad maybe?
Almost 5 stars! The message deserves 5 stars, but I found Mr. Stiles' writing a little confusing at times (because it's so conversational) and a little contradictory in just a couple places.

But overall I think that this book is one of supreme importance to Christian society. It's so important that we align ourselves with the Gospel as we go and profess its redemption.

This feels more like a book about general Christian living (under the gospel) than a book about evangelism, which is the perfect
Leigh Hale
May 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book was eye opening. It taught me never to assume the gospel and that only the gospel is the gospel. Many things reflects the gospel, flow out of the gospel, are inspired by the gospel, but they are not the gospel. Only the gospel is the gospel. And the relationship between evangelism and social justice is that the gospel itself transforms. Social justice is a byproduct of the gospel coming to a culture or a people. So we lead with the gospel, which changes people and their behaviors...
Luke Miller
Jul 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: evangelism
Excellent foundational book on personal evangelism. Warns against pragmatic (sales pitch) evangelism that only asks, "What will work?" and focuses on bold, authentic witness that asks, "Who should I be as a witness for Christ?" Stiles describes the marks of someone who is gospel-centered and others-oriented, and his perspective on personal evangelism is refreshing. For example, he talks about avoiding canned presentations of the gospel by consistently meditating on and rejoicing in the gospel. T ...more
Mike Knox
Dec 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This little book puts being evangelists before doing evangelism.

The process of losing the gospel (40):

* The gospel is accepted
* The gospel is assumed
* The gospel is confused
* The gospel is lost

I give this book five stars out of five. The fifth is for having a chapter on the church in a book on evangelism. The final chapter (A Manifesto for Healthy Evangelism) is also excellent. It is chalk-full of practical suggestions.
Johnny Mcclean
Jan 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Sat in a car with D A Carson and a group of pastors heading to a conference. Asked for a recommended book on evangelism. Without pause Don Carson recommended this book. He said it was the best book on evangelism he had ever read. Having read it myself, I agree. Heart warming, focussing on the character of the messenger and the message...not gimmicks and 10 'how to' type drivel. Buy it, read it, be inspired by it.
Mandi
Jan 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great book! It is a very easy read and just over 100 pages but is a rich resource. I easily finished it in two days. The book isn't so much about "how" to evangelize but more of the heart and motivations of the person evangelizing. In fact, I liked it so much that my husband and I are going to make it required reading for any interns that work with us. It is a must read for anyone going into ministry or missions.
Aaron Choi
Feb 08, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: evangelism
Stiles' book is a helpful encouragement for those seeking a holistic approach to evangelism. His emphasis that a certain foundational basis is required for effective evangelism is a helpful reminder that the messenger is an integral part of God's salvation process.

• Coronavirus and Christ
  • The Holiness of God
  • Thoughts for Young Men
  • Honest Evangelism: How to talk about Jesus even when it's tough (Live Different)
  • Women of the Word: How to Study the Bible with Both Our Hearts and Our Minds
  • Caring for One Another: 8 Ways to Cultivate Meaningful Relationships
  • The Common Rule: Habits of Purpose for an Age of Distraction
  • Gay Girl, Good God: The Story of Who I Was and Who God Has Always Been
  • The Apostles' Creed: Discovering Authentic Christianity in an Age of Counterfeits
  • Adorning the Dark: Thoughts on Community, Calling, and the Mystery of Making
  • None Like Him: 10 Ways God Is Different from Us (and Why That's a Good Thing)
  • Delighting in the Trinity: An Introduction to the Christian Faith
  • The Prodigal Prophet: Jonah and the Mystery of God's Mercy
  • Preaching: Communicating Faith in an Age of Skepticism
  • The Gospel Comes with a House Key
  • The Gospel & Personal Evangelism
  • Gentle and Lowly: The Heart of Christ for Sinners and Sufferers
  • Confronting Christianity: 12 Hard Questions for the World's Largest Religion
J. Mack Stiles is CEO of Gulf Digital Solutions and general secretary for the Fellowship of Christian UAE Students (FOCUS) in the United Arab Emirates. He has worked for many years with InterVarsity Christian Fellowship in the United States.

News & Interviews