Start by marking “Maximilian & Juarez” as Want to Read:
Maximilian & Juarez

Maximilian & Juarez

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  45 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
A strange episode that is at once a central part of American history and a tragic tale of human ambition and cultural misunderstanding. In an ill-starred undertaking, Napoleon III attempted to install Archduke Maximilian of Austria as the Emperor of Mexico. The move pitted liberals against conservatives, and the New World against the Old--and ended with Maximilian's execut ...more
Published June 30th 2001 by Phoenix (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Maximilian & Juarez, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Maximilian & Juarez

Rodrigo Melgar
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Un excelente y atrapante libro que narra la historia y tragedia de la "aventura mejicana" de Napoleón III en su intento de establecer a Maximiliano de Habsburgo en el trono de México, y el proceso que lleva a su épico desenlace y al tan conocido "Drama de Querétaro." Una historia sin igual, escrita con una prosa cargada de estilo y excelente y profunda investigación llevada a cabo a efectos de brindar un relato único e irrepetible.

5/5. Maravilloso libro.
Chris Flick
Aug 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Very interesting history of the French intervention in Mexico. Although I knew something about this period of Mexican history before reading this book, it was interesting to read the history of Maximillian in the context of what was going on in the U.S. and Europe during this period of time. Although the book is titled "Maximillian & Juarez", the book is primarily focussed on Maximillian.
Nancy
Jul 02, 2016 rated it liked it
I knew a little about the French intervention in Mexico. I knew what Cinco de Mayo was about, the fight to gain independence from Spain, and the 1910 Revolution. Now I know a lot more about this particular time in the complex and turbulent history of Mexico. It is a sad tale of what happens when European powers are convinced to set up a government at the behest of Mexican conservatives and clergy who opposed the rule and reforms of Benito Juárez. Of course, there are resources to be had, and tha ...more
Glenn Robinson
Oct 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fairly indepth coverage of the life of Maximilian and a slight coverage of the life of Juarez. A history of Mexico from 1810 through the Mexican War of Independence and the multiple revolutions between 1920 and 1870.

This book focuses on the search of an emperor for Mexico, the selling of the idea to Maximilian and the term of his reign. All, of course, was under the control of France and Napoleon III.

Interesting how an event in one country affects another. President Buchanan's team had negotiate
Phillip
Oct 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Interested in Mexican history
A great book about an interesting time. Of course I attended the University of Mexico for graduate school and developed my love of the history during that time. There is a link between the hard cover copy (I don't have the paperback) of this book and Christopher Buckley's "Wet Work." I picked these two books at random in an Iowa book store one evening and read them simultaneously in Hong Kong a few nights later. The link caused me to think I was hallucinating. A dubious prize of autographed copi ...more
Stephen Graham
Oct 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More focused on Maximilian and the conservative forces than Juarez and the liberals, this is still a reasonable narrative of the French Intervention. More focus on the contingency of US inaction and the tenacity of Juarez and the liberal forces would present a more interesting depiction. As this book depicts matters, there's no particular reason for everything to fall apart in 1866.
C.M. Mayo
Sep 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is a fine and well-researched book, though it does have a few serious errors (details on my website soon) in the "Alice Iturbide" chapter. Otherwise I'd give it 5 stars. Highly recommended.
Adrian