Start by marking “Pleasuring the Pirate (How To, #2)” as Want to Read:
Pleasuring the Pirate (How To, #2)

Pleasuring the Pirate (How to #2)

3.71  ·  Rating details ·  273 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
BURIED TREASURE

All it took was a flick of the wrist. A deft touch of his sword point and Drake the Dragon bared her bound breasts. Then with the heat of his hands along her skin, he bared her soul. All the wantonness Jacquelyn had denied herself as a famous courtesan's daughter, all the desire she'd held in her heart while running Lord Gabriel Drake's estate flooded throug
Published July 29th 2008 by Leisure Books

To ask other readers questions about Pleasuring the Pirate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pleasuring the Pirate

Buck
Mar 28, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chicks-dig-it
Seven Ways of Looking at a Pirate

The Pirate Deconstructed

'Il faut interroger inlassablement les métaphores.’ Never has Derrida’s injunction seemed more urgent than in the case of Pleasuring the Pirate, a text whose figurative economy is routinely disrupted by its own libidinal excess, by a free-floating, predatory jouissance which one might aptly describe as ‘piratical’, and which threatens at every turn to seduce the prim, orderly narrative into an orgy of auto-erotic self-consumption.

The Pir
Eh?Eh!
Manny
Hey, what's this barrel doing here? I think there's something inside it... wait... I don't believe it. A fish. Hello fish! No, don't worry, I have nothing against trashy historical romances. Quite enjoy them in fact. Absolutely no need to get paranoid. Uh-oh. This could be trouble. I see Meredith coming this way with an AK-47. Fish, keep very still.

(Sound of footsteps approaching then receding into the distance)

Sorry. False alarm. She was just reading some Russian poetry book. We're cool, but..
Dina
I admit I'm not a fan of pirate stories but, despite the title and the cover, this book isn't really a pirate story - the hero is a former pirate who's returning home to claim his noble life back. As this book has received some interesting reviews and I was in the mood to try a new author, I decided to give it a try.

Gabriel Drake is the "pirate" in question. The second son of the Lord of Dragon Caern, he had his ship attacked by pirates a few years ago and was believed to have died then. But the
Miriam
Mar 08, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
So many romances featuring pirates, and I've never read a one. I *still* have not read one because this book actually takes place on an estate in Cornwall, where the cover model probably felt quite chilled without his shirt. The male lead (I refuse to call him a "hero") spent some time as a pirate and has been pardoned; accompanying him for added pirate color is his pirate pal Meri, who uses a lot of improbable pirate lingo. Otherwise, the "pirate" background is pretty much just an excuse for Dr ...more
Ellen
Mar 17, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: The "leisure historical romance" crowd

The subject is sex, and early on, you begin to note a pattern...

The pirate is fixated on Jack/Jacquelyn/Lyn’s bodice. His goal, which he makes plain early on, is to penetrate the cheeky wench’s bodice...and other parts as well; in this mood, he’s portrayed as more animal than gentleman, and our lass fights rather reluctantly to resist him. It goes something like this:

[image error]

Meanwhile, our heroine--first disguised as a young lad (Jack) which is also her nickname, as she is not fond of her r
Sparrow
Mar 12, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who enjoyed Distracting the Dutchess and look forward to reading Vexing the Viscount
Recommended to Sparrow by: I did. I'll own up to it.
Trin
I love Mystery Science Theater. The clever mocking of ridiculously dumb things is one of my favorite things. I am consistently glad that MST3K lives on in RiffTrax, and I very much enjoy downloading them and chuckling through those wonderful skewerings of cinematic idiocy. Mostly I download them and watch them right away, eager like a kid with a bag of candy. So when the RiffTrax version of the Star Wars Christmas Special appeared, I pounced on it in the same way. RiffTrax! The infamously terrib ...more
Hazel
Mar 18, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is atrocious. The premise is silly, the plot ridiculous, the characters unconvincing. I get the feeling Bryan did just enough historical research to identify a few throwaway references that sound vaguely appropriate, but wouldn't stand up to scrutiny.

Oh,and the sex is dull, too.

Do I have to finish it?

-------------------------------------

OK, so I did my duty. I took a deep breath and finished it. And that has to be the worst ending of a novel I have ever read! How can I say this without sp
Mia Marlowe
May 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: romance readers
All right. At the urging of my friend, Jacqueline George(you didn't think I'd let your involvement in this go unmentioned, did you?)I'm reviewing my own book.

Actually, it's not as odd a concept as it might seem. If I let enough time lapse, when I go back and read my own stuff, I frequently come away saying either "Dang! That was good! Who wrote it?" or "Ew! What was I thinking?"

Now, here's what I think about PLEASURING THE PIRATE, based on other people's reviews. (Sorry. I'm still midwestern en
Katie(babs)
Former pirate captain, Gabriel Drake has been pardoned by the King of England. He has returned to his childhood home, Dragon Caern Castle. His father is now dead and his estate is in ruins. As long as Gabriel doesn't step foot in London, he will be fine. But when he finds a woman there who refuses to let him take over his property, he is shocked. She is dressed like a man and believes the worst in him. But Gabriel is able to take own this spunky miss a peg or two.

Jacquelyn Wren was just defendi
Mandie
Oct 23, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sheree
Oct 14, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sheree by: Anna Campbell
Mistress Jacqueline Wren, illegitimate daughter of an infamous courtesan & chatelaine of Dragon Caern has been kept busy running the Drake estate and raising the five precocious daughters left by Lord Drake’s deceased brother. Pirate Captain Gabriel Drake, returns to his home after purportedly being lost at sea, to find nothing is as when he left. His father & brother have passed on and Dragon Caern is in a woeful state despite Jacqueline's administrations.
"Jack" is determined that Lord
ChloeLeeNH
Jan 15, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was really pleased with this book... it was kept light and moved quickly. The antagonists were never to become utterly horrible. I am looking forward to Daisy's story coming in March!
Terri
Jul 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's witty,funny, hot Romance historical. Must read and enjoy it. it keep you up all night (serious I did)”
Scott Rhee
Feb 06, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
So, I pride myself on my eclectic tastes in reading. The diversity on my bookshelves at home would make any UN member pleased. Unfortunately, it's all a sham. I brag about how I will literally read anything: mystery, sci-fi, fantasy, westerns, how-to, cooking, science textbooks, military history, Oprah's Picks, you name it... except, of course, ROMANCE. I admit it: I have never read a romance novel in my life. Never wanted to. Never had an inkling of an ounce of a slight desire to pick up one of ...more
Deanna
Jul 27, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaway-win
Complete Review can be found at: Mom-Msuings

I really enjoyed this read as I immediately liked Jack and Gabriel.
Jack is strong-minded, spunky, straight-forward, full of compassion and sense of duty. Gabriel has been a pirate for many years yet shows decent gentleman behavior. He is immediately taken in by Jack’s spunk, wit and compassion. Their attraction towards each other along with their witty dialogue is very satisfying. They are a good match.
I was very satisfied with Jack and Gabriel.

The st
Veronika Levine
Jul 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
About once a year, I really want to read a good old-fashioned pirate romance and this was was just that. Steamy, sexy and fun and full of secondary characters I wish the author would write mores stories about. This is the third book I've read by Emily Bryan and I can't recommend her enough. Her Viking historicals are great and she's a pleasure to meet. If you like historical romances, I can't say enough about this author. Go read her books!
Crystal
This one started off very slow. I just couldn't get into it. There was nothing bad about it, I just didn't find myself compelled to keep reading. It started picking up towards the end of the book though. This was my first book by this author and I'll definitely give her another try. Even though it took a little while for the plot to get interesting, I did love the characters.
Charlotte
Mar 23, 2010 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Everybody seems to be talking about this (we shall not mention that the talking seems to be rather negative and to make fun of it), I need to read this at one point. Oh, I do.
Jane Stewart
Typical romance novel, but some parts were too frustrating to be enjoyable.

STORY BRIEF:
Gabriel’s father was Lord of Dragon Caern. Gabriel was on a sinking ship when pirates offered him life if he became a pirate and joined them, so he did. Years later he left piracy and had a pardon from the King as long as he never entered the city of London. He returns to his family home and learns that his father and brother died. Jacquelyn is the illegitimate daughter of a courtesan who was brought up in a s
Slayermel
Sep 19, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoy's historical romance
I really enjoyed pleasuring the pirate, it was filled with lovable characters, and I looked forward to picking up the book everyday to escape into Gabriel’s world. :0)

Gabriel has returned home to Dragon Caern after having turned to pirating, to find out that both his father and brother have passed away leaving him to pick up the pieces. Now he is forced to become Lord Gabriel Drake as well as assume responsibility for his five wild nieces. To top it all off he's got mistress Jacqueline Wren to c
Nenya
Ooh, I kissed her and she loved it! She kept saying she didn't wanna, but I did it anyway, and she loved it! - I seriously, seriously dislike heroes of this ilk. Oh well... I'm only about a third into it... Let's see how it turns out... 1.5 stars so far (the 5 kids seem to be cute... there's some hope there.)
____________________________________________
Update: I did like the overall story. But I could not bring myself to like the hero (view spoiler)
Aug 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this second book in series. Gabriel come home from being captain of a pirate shop to find his father and brother dead. His brother leaving five young girls behind. The family money has gonna and only reason they are above water is because of Jacquelyn mistress of castle. Technically Gabriel is a pirate anymore but still acts like one so Jacquelyn offers to teach him to be a gentleman so his can marry for money.
This story is good but can be slow is places. I can understand why J
Kricket
May 29, 2012 marked it as abandoned  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, 2012
YESS! my library has a new ebook download service called freading, and i was teaching myself how to download books onto my phone. i was kind of in a hurry and this was one of the first options that popped up, so...and then i was bored in the car yesterday on the way to the beach...and so...well, anyway. PIRATE LOVIN!

update: it is taking me forever to read this because the only time i read it is in the line at the grocery store/oil change place. but i would guess i am about halfway done, and it i
Andrea Goodell
Sep 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read most of Mia Marlowe's book's and where I didn't find this one of my favorite it wasn't the worst book I've read either.

The hero "Gabe" is likable enough but it's hard to like "Jack" the heroine.
The storyline is unique and well written, with Gabe trying to make amends to his father and coming home too late and finding a home ran down, father dead and nieces running a muck.

I gave the book 4 STARs because of the brilliant writing and over all storyline. One character that I couldn't rela
Siona
Feb 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book!! Really liked Lyn and Gabriel! That beginning and ending were on point!! The whole book was great though but I hated the bad characters with a passion! The girls were so sweet. Meriwether and Ms Beadle were so cute! I was only confused about who Lyn's dad was but I was happily surprised by the king being the father. Isabella was honestly just such a cool lady! And a good mom when it counted. Loved the humour in this book! Very happy everything worked out!! It was VERY different to th ...more
Lesley
Jan 29, 2017 marked it as gave-up  ·  review of another edition
This was part of a box set of novels by the author. The first one I found reasonably readable provided I ignored the anachronisms and skimmed certain parts, but this one is annoying me considerably. I'm not sure I'm a target audience for the whole 'alpha-male'/'antipathy but mutual lust'/'massive power imbalance' tropes, because I wanted to push the male protag off a cliff. I daresay he gets some kind of redemptive journey, but I don't particularly want to watch.
Jenn
Aug 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An absolutely saucy, sexy read. Who wouldn't want a pirate like Gabriel Drake? Ohh, shiver me timbers!!! lol It is fun, hot, intriguing and totally enjoyable. I couldn't put it down and want to read more from Ms. Bryan. The characters are fascinating and I love how she incorporated a true persona with some actual happenings and rearranged them to the story. I even looked up King George I. Fascinating.
Melissa
3.5 stars. Fun, fast read. What's not to love about a devastatingly handsome, reformed pirate, a feisty governess, five wild orphaned nieces, some hidden treasure and, of course, there's a bit of betrayal and treachery. Kind of reminded me of something you might see on the Lifetime Channel if it were a movie.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Princess and Her Pirate (Sedonia, #1)
  • Perils of the Heart
  • Velvet Chains
  • The Pirate And The Puritan
  • My Wicked Pirate
  • A Pirate's Pleasure (North American Woman Trilogy, #2)
  • The Pirate and the Pagan