Start by marking “Elvenblood” as Want to Read:
Elvenblood

Elvenblood (Halfblood Chronicles #2)

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  9,066 Ratings  ·  75 Reviews
The powerful magic of ruthless Elvenlord masters has for centuries ruled the world. Even Shana, the legendary Elvenbane prophesied to deliver the oppressed into freedom, is helpless before such power. She and her ragtag band of outcasts, half-blood wizards, escaped human slaves, and free-thinking dragons have gained only a token victory against the mighty lords.

Only the lo
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published March 15th 2011 by Brilliance Audio (first published January 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Elvenblood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elvenblood

Serena
Jun 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Elvenblood is a book about blood, and the power struggles between those you do know and those you don't.

Sheyrena and Lorryn find their freedoms threatened, Sheyrena because her elven father arranges a marriage, and Lorryn because his father was human, not elven. So they must flee, and turn to Sheyrena's human slave who is strangely knowledgeable about dragons, Myre.

In the wake of a victory against elves, halfbloods like Shana, human wizards, and dragon shamans like her brother Keman have gathere
Lindsey
Apr 20, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
I just don't get it. My dad says Andre Norton is a fantastic writer, and he's not the only one who's recommended her to me. Maybe she and Lackey just don't make a great team? Maybe she hit a a dry run? Regardless, these ladies seemed to have missed the "Show, don't tell" chapter in "Writing Fiction 101." The writing is stilted and awkward. All the voices are the same. (view spoiler) ...more
Nataly
Oct 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
It's as good as the first book.
Barry
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great follow-up to the original.
Kathyb
May 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The second book in the trilogy, "Elvenblood" continues the story of half-blood human-elf Shana and Keman, her dragon foster brother. I listened to the first two books in the series back-to-back and wanted to listen to the third as well only to discover that it is not available in audio. This is another listen-to of an old favorite that I read a long time ago. I am most disappointed that the last book is not audio-ed.
Lissibith
Sep 16, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, novel
Two things first. A. I liked this one a lot better than the first even though it wasn't technically better. and B. It's SO depressing to me that I can't put this one on my female friendships shelf. But as with so much contemporary fantasy, the only real, meaningful relationships are either familial or romantic, so why would you want to have friendships? They're clearly inferior shadows. *eyeroll*

First, the very good - I loved the addition of Rena, an elven character who's meek and quiet and demu
Karen
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved as a 'tween.
Leslie Pringle wrrldgrrl
The second book in the Half-Blood chronicles begins slowly. It is a year after the revolt and we begin in a new location with new characters getting ready for a fete. If I heard anymore about choosing a dress for a function by an elven lady I may just have whipped that CD in the audio-book out the car window. There were a couple of other places where the book dragged, and if I had of been reading the paper copy I likely would have skimmed quite a few pages here and there. A case in point, the s ...more
Dan
Apr 16, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Elvenbane fans
Recommended to Dan by: Amy Campbell
Elvenblood continues the themes from Elvenbane: character-driven scenes full of description, a long introduction, and a breaking down of fantasy tropes. We have a would-be fairy princess charming unicorns, which in this world are predatory, with sharp fangs and clawed hooves.

Elvenblood, more than a hundred pages shorter than its predecessor, falls into a "middle child" slump, like Two Towers or The Empire Strikes Back. In it, we're introduced to a few new characters, our heroes start falling in
Hannah
Jun 22, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This second installment has the advantage of better pacing than the first, since its moved past the "beginning" stages of the plot. However, where the first had rich descriptions of the world and its people, and the characters were well-developed, "Elvenblood" failed to deliver the same quality. Shana came across as increasingly shallow and her character unbelievable - although the changes are understandable as she moves up the social ladder, I found it hard accept her dramatically developed int ...more
Sara
I enjoyed this. I most liked reading about the halfblood Lorryn and his elven sister Sheyrena (more Sheyrena). I thought the chunks of story which told with their thoughts, especially Rena's, were the most interesting. Sheyrena coming into her own and discovering the many uses of her "lesser magics" was captivating. Lorryn was... not quite as interesting, honestly. He may have even been a bit boring. Mero bores me now, though I thought his new-found love was sweet. They're a good couple. Shana w ...more
Chad
Jan 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A continuation of the Elvenbane, the elves are recovering from the second Wizard War and the Wizards have moved away to a new home far away from the Elven lands to start anew. However, the war has upset the normal order of the realm and the balance of power has shifted. Although the war is over, peace is still not assured. Now is the time to secure power and new alliances.

My biggest c optician of this book is that the first book ends at the conclusion of a single battle in which the Wizards win
Kimmay
Sep 15, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, norton-andre
Tnkw01
May 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The star system has no half stars, so I’ll give this a 5-star even though it really is a 4.5. Really, really great read. So many things to love about this book. Love the fact that elves are not the "end all to be all". Love the fact that there is no prominent characters that whine all through the book (which Lackey has a tendency to write) and no really long, drawn out dialogue or descriptions that clutters up some fantasy books. A great plot, also. The only criticisms I have is the ending is ju ...more
Victoria
When I decided to re-read The Halfblood Chronicles, I was excited to read the brand new (to me) third novel in the series. As for this second book, though I only vaguely recalled the events of the previous novel in the series, this one felt a bit more familiar. At first I chalked it up to a familiarity with Mercedes Lackey’s writing style. But as more and more of the plot came back to me, I realized that my clearer memory came from originally enjoying this sequel even more than the first book in ...more
Renay
Jan 17, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
a cute little story about the ever present battle between good and evil, using elves, wizards, gnomes, halfbloods and humans as the fighters, and a world where dragons exist but are a threatened species as the battleground.
the main character is a girl who has been supressed by her father and kept "in the dark" so to speak for all of her life, till she breaks free and realises she has hidden strengths that can benefit the world and the races.
a good and intersting book to pick up, and an enjoyabl
Ryan
Aug 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Carries the torch well for the first book in the series. Enjoyable and workmanlike fantasy that takes the story in new directions while maintaining a consistent tone. Avoids the most common sequel pitfalls, and expands the world while still telling a (mostly) self-contained story. Still suffers from too much exposition, conflicts are perhaps resolved a bit too neatly, and the "exotic" treatment of POC might raise eyebrows today - but hey, they're in there, and this was the 90's, right? Elvenbloo ...more
Heine
Sep 03, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Becky Holste
May 30, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The first was good but this one was written so poorly. Everything was over explained over and over again! All of the people in the book sounded like they were the same person and all so very clever. They pretty much all had God knowledge powers so they could never be fooled and could figure out what everyone was going to do and plan before how to get what they want. These perceptions weren't really based on anything soild but they were always right. If you want spoon feed a story then this is fo ...more
Blou4432
Jul 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, fantasy-other
Lou:
The second book of the Halfblood Chronicles, this one starts with a character that was BRIEFLY mentioned in the first book. The beginning starts kind of makes you go "Um...where are Shana and Keman?" I didn't like that it started with a whole new set of characters, but again, you get used to it, and then the people we grew to love in the first book show up, along with the ones we grew to hate. What I enjoy about the first two of the series is that they don't really leave you hanging. Each c
Sarah Mckenna
There's zero tension throughout the whole book. The lack of conflict is kind of stunning. I kept waiting for the plot to start. What made the first one fun was getting kind of childishly indignant at the patent unfairness the main character's mistreatment, but everyone is pretty much saccharine sweet and patently understanding throughout this one.

That said, the dialogue was fun and mindless. A good bedtime story.
Justin
Jun 05, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another compelling adventure, with more characters and twists in the over all plot. I felt this book so far was weaker of the two in terms of description, but most defiantly stronger in action and over all story. I love these books honestly for me I think I understand what is going on only to have been completely wrong, and surprised in a good way. The writing seems a bit more fluent then the first one as well. I am quiet anxious to finish the trilogy with Elvenborn.
Alena
I didn't enjoy this book as much as its predecessor, Elvenbane. It jumped around between characters a bit too much, so it was harder to get involved in the characters' stories. The ending was especially disappointing - again, it was too rushed, and it ended on a cliffhanger!

However, I did enjoy the sections with the Iron People, and getting a better view into the elves' world. It's worth a read if you liked the first book.
Mary Ann
Mar 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Now I'll have to run down the third book in the series. The theme of male dominance vs. female equality is one that rings in the hearts of the great majority of females and even some males. For years I've had the misconception that Andre Norton was a male; I also made that mistake years ago in thinking Taylor Caldwell was also of the male gender. One day I'll learn not to make those assumptions without doing some checking!
Cathrine Bonham
Nov 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was better than the first book. The plot line was much better though there are still problems with the showing versus telling. I liked the two new characters the Elven girl Rena and her brother Lorryn. They brought a new and exciting dynamic to the story world.

I was still dissapointed in the ending, but there is another book still so maybe it will wrap up in that one.
Suzy
Jan 06, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining book . The plot is fairly simple of good against evil. Some characters are very flat, either being a great being or an evil one with none of the nuances I usually enjoy in characters with mixed emotions. There wasn't an evil character that had "redeeming" qualities or a "good: character that did things that were bordering on "evil".
Eric
Oct 16, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first [modern] fantasy book ever! :D I bought it for the dragons on the cover. Looking at it through the eyes of someone who has read hundreds of other fantasies since, on the quality scale, it's a very ordinary story and it ended with a frustrating cliffhanger (frustrating then as I had no means of securing the next book). But I'm giving it three stars for sentimental reasons.
Blain
Dec 15, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own
I consider this book and series (Halfblood Chronicles) my guilty pleasure. I original read this on my trips during ski club in H.S. Purely a fantasy book, I enjoy their take on the standard wizards, elves, and dragons. i.e. elves have enslaved the human race and are generally nasty bastards while dragons are shape shifters.
Janell Wheeler
May 07, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This was a fantastic sequel to the first book. I couldn't put it down. It did not initially start off where I would have liked, since it introduced new characters but overall once I got into the book (the first chapter) I couldn't stop. It just made the story plot even better and you felt even more for the characters and even really got into the new characters. This was a great sequel
Emily
Sep 08, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-sf
Thinking about this book after reading her Alta series, this one falls short. It's the same type of storyline, but with a Pern type twist that didn't quite do it for me. I remember being kind of bored with this series when I compared it to M. Lackey's other work. Maybe the author collaboration just wasn't working for me?
  • Sanctuary (Dragon Jousters, #3)
Alice Mary Norton always had an affinity to the humanities. She started writing in her teens, inspired by a charismatic high school teacher. First contacts with the publishing world led her, as many other contemporary female writers targeting a male-dominated market, to choose a literary pseudonym. In 1934 she legally changed her name to Andre Alice. The androgynous Andre doesn't really say "male" ...more
More about Andre Norton...

Halfblood Chronicles (3 books)
  • The Elvenbane (Halfblood Chronicles, #1)
  • Elvenborn (Halfblood Chronicles, #3)